Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Soulstorm is the remake of the second game.

lmao this entire time I thought it was a full on brand new sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I tried Oddworld and didn’t get out of the cave before turning it off. It’s very gamey and bland and doesn’t feel like my thing at all. Maybe my 11 year old will like it. I dunno. Also, bruh, forget about her. You mean nothing to her. I don’t even know who she is and I’m over her. Talk about them stitches over his mouth being an Incel analogy. Holy poo poo.

"Gamey" is such an odd description for a game.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Woweee Demon Souls is pretty gorgeous and fun yall! The bosses come across easier than the levels tho lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He very well may not like it anyways, but I think it's funny he was able to make so many snap judgements about a game he has functionally played zero of. Because that first section is basically like Oddcharted or something, but that isn't how oddworld plays at all. It was a pretty weird way to start the game for newcomers, because you wouldn't get the idea that it's a puzzle platformer with stealth for the most part from it.

Also I literally have no idea what he's talking about with the incel poo poo lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Grey posted:

"Gamey" is such an odd description for a game.

Unless you're describing its taste.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Played a few hours of OddWorld: SoulStorm, I enjoyed it! Some of the puzzles are very tight though, and don't allow for really any flexibility. You're kinda just trying a puzzle until you figure out the exact solution.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

He very well may not like it anyways, but I think it's funny he was able to make so many snap judgements about a game he has functionally played zero of. Because that first section is basically like Oddcharted or something, but that isn't how oddworld plays at all. It was a pretty weird way to start the game for newcomers, because you wouldn't get the idea that it's a puzzle platformer with stealth for the most part from it.

Also I literally have no idea what he's talking about with the incel poo poo lol.

It is definitely really funny to play less than ten minutes of a game and then get on the internet and write a review for people as if you opinion is actually based on anything that matters at all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I dunno. The first 10 minutes of Disco Elysium had me loving sold. I said based on my first impression it “wasn’t for me.” That doesn’t mean it might not be for you. And I don’t know anything about the Oddworld story, but based on the opening cutscene some girl sewed Abe’s mouth shut yet he can’t get over her. So he can only be happy if she lets him? Sounds pretty much like toxic codependency to me OP. You know what, your right. This definitely isn’t a game for my 11 year old daughter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

His mother sewed his mouth shut as a baby because he cried all of the time and the corporation that captured and enslaved them would slaughter him for it. He keeps the stuches as it's become part of his identity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even knowing that you aren't familiar with the games I'm still trying to figure out how you came to a conclusion that dumb other than hearing the word "she" and "her" and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEL4Ty950Q&t=36s

Like, did you think the stuff about "breaking away from the strings of oppression" just automatically meant he couldn't get over a girl lol? The games are about and capitalism and slavery.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat Rasputin you did it again. Nice work

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dude. It’s called the Oedipus complex and it’s not that unheard of? I just googled “Abe’s odyssey Oedipus complex” and, who would’ve guessed, the original working title for the game while in development was “Abe’s Oedyssey.”

Too weird for me thank god for first impressions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

raspy, you're fuckin evil ;-*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

psychoJ posted:

just found out that Control: Ultimate Edition doesn't have access to any of the digital deluxe stuff that the ps4 version had, which includes the deprivation tank mission where you're guided by Hideo Kojima. pretty dumb!

wait what, on the ps5 version? dammit, i was hoping to do the kojima mission this time since i missed it before. cant believe they keep finding new ways to gently caress up the game and make me dislike it when it was an unblinking GOAT that year.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

drat Rasputin you did it again. Nice work

its like watching a master craftmans at work. :allears:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lmao this entire time I thought it was a full on brand new sequel.

After the first few hours, from what I can fell it might as well be. The first few levels/plot/etc.. don't have any similarity to Exoddus, which starts in a similar factory as Oddyssey. Seems like they took the same starting point (you just saved 300 slaves from the factory and you're on the run) but the actual game bit is new. I'm enjoying it, didn't like Stranger or Munch but I'm glad it feels like the others and the crafting stuff is extremely light. The world design is fun as always.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I think it’s fair to play a game you got for free for 30 Minutes and say “nah not for me”

especially if the opening cutscene is really long and unappealing

but apparently lorne lanning and other oddworld inhabitants employees are in this thread

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Even knowing that you aren't familiar with the games I'm still trying to figure out how you came to a conclusion that dumb other than hearing the word "she" and "her" and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEL4Ty950Q&t=36s

Like, did you think the stuff about "breaking away from the strings of oppression" just automatically meant he couldn't get over a girl lol? The games are about and capitalism and slavery.

maybe they shouldn’t assume that people playing a flagship exclusive for a brand new console have played or remember a game that had a remake 7 years ago or initial release almost 25 years ago and they can put (Abe is talking about his mother) in subtitles so it’s not extremely weird

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

John Romero posted:

I think it’s fair to play a game you got for free for 30 Minutes and say “nah not for me”

especially if the opening cutscene is really long and unappealing

but apparently lorne lanning and other oddworld inhabitants employees are in this thread

I got literally around 70 seconds into the witness and immediately deleted it. Just knew I wasn't going to play the game. It was free tho

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More like lore planning, that dude loves the plot of these fuckin games

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Aidan_702 posted:

I got literally around 70 seconds into the witness and immediately deleted it. Just knew I wasn't going to play the game. It was free tho

Its the main drawback of the abundance of free games available now. It's so easy to just move on to the next thing, which means that games that might take a little while to get into but are really rewarding will inevitably get left by the wayside (I also deleted The Witness after a few minutes).

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Played a few hours of OddWorld: SoulStorm, I enjoyed it! Some of the puzzles are very tight though, and don't allow for really any flexibility. You're kinda just trying a puzzle until you figure out the exact solution.

Is there any reason it's exclusive to PS5 and not on PS4?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Its the main drawback of the abundance of free games available now. It's so easy to just move on to the next thing, which means that games that might take a little while to get into but are really rewarding will inevitably get left by the wayside (I also deleted The Witness after a few minutes).

many of us have kids and other poo poo going on as well as now working from home full time so there isn’t a ton of time to play games so first impressions are v important

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

More like lore planning, that dude loves the plot of these fuckin games

it’s literally all he has done for 30 years

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oddworld has 102 entries on fanfiction.net, which is low but I guess more than most.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I mean yeah if you have an attention defecit and have to make a snap judgement on a game before even leaving a tutorial area, that's fine I guess. Just means you miss out on a lot of great games.

Who was the guy that played HZD and got bored before they even finishing the child Aloy section?

Edit: I should clarify that I've never played a single Abe's Odyssey game. The only thing I know about them is that it's possible to beat the first one (I think) if you're blind - actually legally blind - due to its sound design.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 7, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Grey posted:

It's available on PS4. Unless you're talking about PS Plus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Games are just a distraction
Or...a model of our trend to form factions
So this tribal display
In a negative way
Only looks a bit like interaction

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My wife and I are enjoying the hell out of It Takes Two. The storyline is pretty cheesy and childish, like a low effort Pixar movie, but the puzzles and action are pretty fun without the co-dependence of abilities being TOO aggravating in an Overcooked way.

Good fun. I wish there were more couch co-op games like this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like Blind Rasputin sold his account or something because they posted in the Destiny 2 thread for years without ever being this funny. Maybe taking some improv classes down at 2nd city?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Morpheus posted:

I mean yeah if you have an attention defecit and have to make a snap judgement on a game before even leaving a tutorial area, that's fine I guess. Just means you miss out on a lot of great games.
Maybe, but to be honest at this point I tend to know if something is working for me or if it's not. I would say games are the same as TV series or books where if I peace out half an hour in, 95% of the time the only thing returning gets me is that I get a little further before dropping it again. And even the 5% is mostly stuff that I knew at the time might have just been me not in the right mindset to enjoy it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Grey posted:

I could actually see the PS4 struggling to play this, but it probably really came down to Sony just throwing a lot of money at this project and asking that it be made PS5 exclusive. The game runs at what looks like native 4K, and for sure 60fps, even during the cutscenes. The cutscenes and game world are really detailed, this is a very pretty looking game, especially during the cutscenes. Even though the camera is a 2D side scrolling perspective. There are moments during the cutscenes where it almost looks like CGI.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like Blind Rasputin sold his account or something because they posted in the Destiny 2 thread for years without ever being this funny. Maybe taking some improv classes down at 2nd city?

this is hosed up unless im confusing second cirt with ucb

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

No, no. It’s still me. I miss destiny, tbh. Wish they’d make that game great again.

Morpheus posted:

Who was the guy that played HZD and got bored before they even finishing the child Aloy section?

Edit: I should clarify that I've never played a single Abe's Odyssey game. The only thing I know about them is that it's possible to beat the first one (I think) if you're blind - actually legally blind - due to its sound design.

That was probably me too. I made some joke post about the girl’s face being so off putting I couldn’t trust the devs had my best interests at heart and I couldn’t play any further. But I actually finished the game and loved it (although yeah, the face animations ARE pretty stiff).

Veni Veni Veni, I recognize I made a snap judgement off the tutorial, which felt like the iPad game Boulder Run. But maybe the game is much more than that, like you say. I will play it again for longer, and see. I trust you and many other’s in here’s posting and so I probably did bail too early.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oddworld Soulstorm looks amazing. Gameplay wise, not really my thing, I did do a few levels but I was always more into the Stranger's Wrath style of game than the Abe (and Munch) games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The real reason not to play Oddworld is because the creator is an anti-union dork. Topic Locked

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

It's just what happens when you finally stop playing Destiny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol how is Destiny these days

I finally gave up when they hoodwinked me with yet another DLC/season pass you had to buy, while every one before that was just the same levels/missions backwards, with aliens with a different shader on. Such a joke

good gunplay tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried Destiny 2 a week or so ago because it was free and got bored within an hour or so