Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's one fashy nerd and then a bunch of soldiers who are more than eager to buy what he's selling. it doesn't hurt that xeno provided guns, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh yeah, they were practically all soldiers right? Apart from Luna and her flunkies. All of Xeno’s dudes were people who were at that party and heard him yell to stay awake.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The pseudo-leader guy whose name I forget definitely doesn't seem unbothered by the carnage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even outside Xeno and Stanley, people like Maya, Brody, and Charlotte have all been shown to immediately resort to violence as (one of) their first response(s).

Brody only reacted that way once they were outright attacked.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

It should be noted that most of Xeno's people were handpicked from elite American military forces, of course they're predisposed to violence, they were intentionally selected for talent and bloodthirstyness.

Notice that none of the non-Xeno civilians we've seen (Luna, Chelsea, Carlos, Max, Joel and his boss) seem particularly violent at all. Luna pretty much had to have a gun held to her head to be an accessory to murder, and even then immediately started helping the victim to recover to the best of her abilities.

If anything, it's more commentary on the state of American government and military culture rather than Americans on the whole.

Should note they are not even proper American Military, Stanley's crew is outright stated to be mercenaries.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 7, 2021

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note they are not even proper American Military, Stanley's crew is outright stated to be mercenaries.

Oh, that'd really do it then. I forgot about that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

reitetsu posted:

Oh, that'd really do it then. I forgot about that

Yeah they are ex military, but during the big dinner meeting are stated to be freelance now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I missed they were mercs too, drat that explains a ton.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Soooo good

I wonder if Suika’s gambit worked.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Since Suika's the one closest to the bottle and it doesn't seem she's experienced with producing nitric acid or alcohol, we'll probably see her age some bit before the others get depetrified again.

Keep your hands off her, Boichi!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Poor Suika gonna be alone and nearsighted without even her pinhole inducing hat, never mind the glasses. Hope we don't get an extended sequence of a 10 year old trying to survive alone, and that there's another bottle somewhere, if but for my heartstrings.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's been like 3 or 4 years in-universe since Ishigami Village.

I particularly liked Xeno's final expression in this chapter.

I wonder if a timeskip will be long enough that the Americans' guns rust into uselessness?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Assuming our protagonists get revived, what's the gameplan going forward here? While there might be room to talk with some of the less homicidal Americans like Brody, they're fully aware now that Xeno, Stanley, and their immediate cohort are pretty much completely loving evil monsters and will gladly kill each and every one of them without batting an eyelash; not even actively saving one of their lives was enough to convince them to not indiscriminately mow down a bunch of kids with machine guns. There's no real common ground or room for negotiation here, and it's been proven in the most definitive way possible.

Are they going to leave Xeno and Company as statues? Maybe introduce the Tsukasa Corollary to Senku's "revive everyone on Earth" plan where some people are just way too evil and dangerous to risk reviving?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Still need to know what the drawback is to using only one medusa to cover the Earth.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Xeno will 100% be revived at some point after Senku's crew gets mostly revived (assuming all goes well once Suika gets revived) if only just to have another big brain science guy. I don't know if he can do much when he doesn't have loyal goons with guns. Senku will probably need or want his help in the future

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They also still need Corn City up and running for their endgame of building the rocket to the moon

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

mabels big day posted:

Xeno will 100% be revived at some point after Senku's crew gets mostly revived (assuming all goes well once Suika gets revived) if only just to have another big brain science guy. I don't know if he can do much when he doesn't have loyal goons with guns. Senku will probably need or want his help in the future

The issue with this is mostly that Xeno hasn't had any change of heart despite his time with the kids; he's proven that he's pretty ruthlessly dedicated to the whole "world conquest no matter how many bodies pile up" thing, and he now understands the concept of revival fluid, so even if they leave Stanley and gang stoned, unless they enslave Xeno or throw him in jail permanently or something he's a flight risk away from reviving all of his goons.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xeno is Science Vegeta, he'll come around with the next threat.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Amazingly, Taiju will become the protagonist again

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Still need to know what the drawback is to using only one medusa to cover the Earth.

I still wonder if it's really enough to cover the earth, or if the cut aways to the globe are just a representation of what they think is happening. Basically, I wonder if there's a chance that it only covered part of the earth.

barring that, like I said before, I wonder if they got a message out to anyone in ishigami

Aurubin posted:

Poor Suika gonna be alone and nearsighted without even her pinhole inducing hat, never mind the glasses. Hope we don't get an extended sequence of a 10 year old trying to survive alone, and that there's another bottle somewhere, if but for my heartstrings.

I think the one part of the science club we haven't checked in with since the raid started is Luna and geology girl. Maybe if they had a bottle of fluid themselves and took a gamble; Luna's a capable gal, she'll time it right surely!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This is going to go down in the new history books that mankind was pushed to the brink and frozen into stone all over again and it was over corn. Not oil. They got that in the first arc. No, it was corn.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Flubby posted:

This is going to go down in the new history books that mankind was pushed to the brink and frozen into stone all over again and it was over corn. Not oil. They got that in the first arc. No, it was corn.

Based on our current economy, i buy it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
More wars have been fought in the name of food security (eg lebensraum) so fighting over corn is just a return to norm. If anything fighting over oil is unique to the last hundred years.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Were Suika and Ginro stoned previously? I just had a thought of...will this fix her near sightedness? it fixed...whatever put tsukasa's sister in a coma. and they're hoping that it will fix all of them literally being riddled with bullets.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Renzuko posted:

Were Suika and Ginro stoned previously? I just had a thought of...will this fix her near sightedness? it fixed...whatever put tsukasa's sister in a coma. and they're hoping that it will fix all of them literally being riddled with bullets.

It didn't fix Chelsea's.

Given the focus on DNA and it's relation to the petrification effect, genetic conditions might not be curable with it since it appears to simply "restore" your body from forms of trauma.

EDIT: And yes, at the very least, they were petrified at the climax of the Treasure Island arc.

Strawberry Pyramid fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Time to count all those kernels I saved from corn death... I'm rich b*tch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kaseki being insanely happy that his body stopped having all the aches from old pain was a nice touch when he got petrified

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you go back and look carefully at the final panel of Senku petrifying, you'll see that the petrifying process seems to be crystalline in structure, similar to how water freezes into ice.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For Suika it depends on what caused her sight issues, if it is related to her environment and any issues within, it might correct with the petri-beam.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

For Suika it depends on what caused her sight issues, if it is related to her environment and any issues within, it might correct with the petri-beam.

Like strawberry pyramid said, she was petrified in the fight against Ibara; everyone got petrified for the timing gambit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh poo poo. Oh shiiiiiiit. Inagaki, you madman, you've done it again! I am spoiling this because I am 99% certain that this is what the twist will be next chapter. You have been warned.

quote:

Something has been bugging me. Almost every foreshadowed event in this arc has been set up and knocked down, except for one thing -- Charlotte getting bitten by the spider and rescued by Suika. When that happened, I figured she'd intervene and prevent Stanley from murdering everyone, but that never happened.

I went back and looked at what exactly happened there. There's two major things going on:
  • Charlotte was bitten by, specifically, the Brazilian wandering spider.
  • Charlotte got treated with medicine by Suika.

The Brazilian wandering spider's venom causes the body to produce nitric oxide, and Suika put a nitroglycerin swab on Charlotte's bite wound. There's going to be some *waves hand* combination of nitric oxide and nitroglycerin to *waves hand* produce nitric acid. Charlotte will be the first one to recover from petrification and will have to decide between de-stoning her idol, Stanley, and de-stoning her rescuer, Suika.

e: corrected a detail as per below post

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 12, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh poo poo. Oh shiiiiiiit. Inagaki, you madman, you've done it again! I am spoiling this because I am 99% certain that this is what the twist will be next chapter. You have been warned.

Did Suika inject anything? Wasn't it just holding a swab of glycerin to cause a reaction that opens the vessels?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rannum posted:

Did Suika inject anything? Wasn't it just holding a swab of glycerin to cause a reaction that opens the vessels?

Yes, you're right, I've edited that part of my post.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This would be nice, but then dousing yourself in the stuff just before petrification would also work.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh poo poo. If this is true that’s fantastic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hrm, looking further into the science of this I'm not sure it's actually possible, but the dramatic framing certainly fits.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like where you are going and can definitely see Charlotte walk into science team camp, see the revival fluid from the top of the receiver tower and take it before it gets tipped over, and has to decide between Stanely and Suika

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

By the way, going back to this....
Rereading the arc I'm not sure there is a drawback, necessarily. I mean there still might be one, we still dont know a lot about the medusa in or out of universe, but rereading the arc the idea seems to be that the pyramid of medusas was to make sure it happened.

Just before finding the pyramid (chapter 180) they come to the realization that, to get around the possibility of being near some of the acid, someone managing to figure it out and set up a system to get around a wave, or just dumb luck or some not going off, it would be best to set off a bunch of medusas at once. They also mention the idea of staggering the times they would go off (see also: why man's messages just being sent down on set intervals).
Likewise, there were a bunch of duds due to the defects in the diamonds (chapter 182).

Basically one medusa might work fine, but to ensure it actually went off a ton of them were made, dropped and had the command given all at once. Just by numbers alone they'd ensure at least one went off and very likely more to cover the gaps.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I appreciate effectively communicating just how formidably advanced Whyman is by showing the crazy advanced Medusa devices were apparently trivially mass produced and considered as disposable as you or I would consider a container full of cheapass burner phones.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I appreciate effectively communicating just how formidably advanced Whyman is by showing the crazy advanced Medusa devices were apparently trivially mass produced and considered as disposable as you or I would consider a container full of cheapass burner phones.
Kind of interesting how even something as advanced & refined as the medusa making process must have been (considering the sheer advance in technology the actual device is AND how many were made), there was still a not-insignificant chance of making a dud diamond battery. Such that it was a safer decision to just mass produce and drop it.

Related: I cant remember what chapter(s) Matsukaze's backstory was given, but his time was from before the current crop of Ihsigami/Soyuz people right? It threw a bunch of medusas over the island(s?) but went with a different strategy and made far fewer of them rather than just try the pyramid-style overpower attack again; and hasn't attacked the ishigami society at all, while it's just trying to deal with the science squad by sending out constant radio waves.

Is the production of them more limited now &/or how long does it take to make them; which both goes for maybe adding a new "ticking clock" to the series as well as looking into how long was this plan in motion just from a produciton stand point (much less all the preamble)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So the Why Man. Rogue AI, mad scientist with an primitivism kick who put their brain in a jar, aliens? What do you think? Hope it goes full bad 50's shlock film.