Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wait why was I unaware that the reruns of Ultraman Z on Youtube have new little opening bits for each episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

ALEGRAR!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wait why was I unaware that the reruns of Ultraman Z on Youtube have new little opening bits for each episode?

To be fair, it looks like they only just started doing it with this week's rerun.

(None of the previous episodes have any new opening bits)

Also, it's great that they're releasing the reruns in 1080p rather than the original 720..

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Watched ten episodes of ToQger (plus the Gaim crossover) over the weekend and man, this rules. The characters are a fun group of friends, the baddie designs absolutely slap, the action is neat with the line change gimmick.

I remember the suit designs of the Rangers themselves being a complaint at the time, but I don't mind them while in the moment of the show and if their simplicity helps facilitate the line change thing then I'm all for it

I don't love the look of either of the robots introduced o far but honestly I kinda wanna hit up ebay and buy the toys anyway just for the trains

I really like Mio's clothes and Hikari is a cutie (god I feel like a creepy old saying that)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Watched ten episodes of ToQger (plus the Gaim crossover) over the weekend and man, this rules. The characters are a fun group of friends, the baddie designs absolutely slap, the action is neat with the line change gimmick.

I remember the suit designs of the Rangers themselves being a complaint at the time, but I don't mind them while in the moment of the show and if their simplicity helps facilitate the line change thing then I'm all for it

I don't love the look of either of the robots introduced o far but honestly I kinda wanna hit up ebay and buy the toys anyway just for the trains

I really like Mio's clothes and Hikari is a cutie (god I feel like a creepy old saying that)

They're all good kids just trying to do their best in their new bodies. Just wait until you get the 6th because he is also one of the high points of the series.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The robots get better as the show goes on and you get used to it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy lol episode 5 of Zenkaiger was great. The sushi jokes and the over the top "lucky incident" were hilarious. I'm really enjoying this series and it's incredibly cartoony stylings.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy lol episode 5 of Zenkaiger was great. The sushi jokes and the over the top "lucky incident" were hilarious. I'm really enjoying this series and it's incredibly cartoony stylings.

The pacing of this week is kind of all over the place and feels like it's running through an obligation of trying to hit the requisite beats rather than just letting things happen, but I do love how hard the show went in on the absurdly silly bullshit the second the team's together. It's a fun episode.

I'm also enjoying the almost entirely random-rear end mechanics of the Sentai Gears themselves: it's not necessarily granting transformations or finishers or weapons, it's just stuff. Which, now that I think about it, is kind of amazing because Zenkaiser's supposed to be solely a Gorenger rep and one of their finishers was "Turn the murder football into whatever the monster's weak against," so now the Gears are for the most part embodying specifically that and doing literally whatever they need to turn the situation in the team's favor.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The geartlinger toy got hacked and they found a very interesting audio clip.

Akibarrrrranger!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpazmasterX posted:

Akibarrrrranger!

Please let them become the Officially Unofficial Sentai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Akibarrrrranger!

Akibaranger also got a mention in Dekaranger Vs Space Squad as I recall. Not sure if this means anything but it’s cool nonetheless

Come to think of it, would any of the actors still be available for a Season 3 or some other kind of appearance these days?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I don't know if it's going anywhere, but I like how they've been changing the OP starting in Ep 4. During the "montage at home" section near the end of the song there were new scenes and one split moment where the place was empty, this week there were multiple moments of the main character searching for something....

I don't know if it's going anywhere, but if they keep it interesting I'm all in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If anyone doesn’t know, Genm’s actor started a YouTube channel around two months ago. They’re usually just him talking about countries or his favorite classical paintings or solving a Rubik’s Cube in about three minutes. He sometimes provides his own English subs but usually doesn’t. (edit: I should probably mention the video where he drew Goku.)

The past several days it’s turned into something of an unsanctioned ad campaign for the Genm/Thouser crossover. One video was his usual streaming corner left cluttered with the continue pipe on the desk. Another featured the Kuroto action figure.

Today’s is probably the most amusing: his first video was an hour-long ASMR style video of himself working at the desk. Today’s an hour of him working on a laptop like he’s doing research, but in the last five minutes he gradually raises his wrists and adopts God’s ergonomically stupid keyboard stance. The best part is, if you look closely at the laptop lid, you’ll see a darkened Apple logo. So he pretended to do serious business work on a computer that wasn’t actually running for an hour just for the views.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 6, 2021

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
so what I'm getting from this thread is if I'm jumping back into KR, now's probably the time, and maybe skip Zero-One? Because I read about that and it seems like it is a sequel to Decade in the worst ways humanly possible?

Unrelated question: Is Gridman the original show good, and is it worth the watch before just watching the Trigger Gridman? Because it's always something I was interested in but it also looks... like, extra wonky. Is it just the 90s of it?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've watched Gridman. If you appreciate that era it's fine. If you liked SSSS back in day you'll like it. I don't think it's mandatory though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KaosMachina posted:

so what I'm getting from this thread is if I'm jumping back into KR, now's probably the time, and maybe skip Zero-One? Because I read about that and it seems like it is a sequel to Decade in the worst ways humanly possible?

Unrelated question: Is Gridman the original show good, and is it worth the watch before just watching the Trigger Gridman? Because it's always something I was interested in but it also looks... like, extra wonky. Is it just the 90s of it?

If you're like me, you'll like Zero One and strongly dislike Saber; if you're like most of the rest of the thread, you'll dislike both.

So uh, watch something older I guess. E: Slight rephrase, there are some other people in this thread that liked Zero-One.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 6, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gridman is fine but in my opinion pretty much everything that follows it has been much better (including the American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad).

While the Trigger series is technically a sequel all the original adds is some extra context to a certain character and a bit that happens at the very end.

However if you do feel like checking it out the entire series is on YouTube via a channel called Gridman Alliance (Tsuburaya is also slowly adding it to their main channel as I recall), you can also watch it via Amazon Prime and a site called TOKU but both require a paid subscription. The subs kind of suck though

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SpazmasterX posted:

Akibarrrrranger!

Don't you do this. Don't you get me excited. :stare:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Don't you do this. Don't you get me excited. :stare:

The chances of it actually getting used in the series are slim (probably even less so for an appearance by any of the characters) but we’ll see I suppose.

Come to think of it, what are the main Akibaranger actors up to these days?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/krsentai/status/1379460438690160642?s=21

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

The chances of it actually getting used in the series are slim (probably even less so for an appearance by any of the characters) but we’ll see I suppose.

Come to think of it, what are the main Akibaranger actors up to these days?

It's probably a just in case sort of inclusion

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KaosMachina posted:

I think you've gotten Zi-O and Zero-One mixed up. Zi-O is a weird hodgepodge season with a couple charming characters and not much else going for it; Zero One is a perfectly alright show with incredible production value and great music and fights.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I didn't think Zero-One was bad, but it just kind of was a mess. Lots of good characters and actors, but also a lot of wasted storylines, and things that just kind of went nowhere. It suffers from what I've observed in a a LOT of KR shows: it seems like the writers just kind of wing it for an entire series after they do a 2 page outline for the the entire show.

In the end it's just kind of disappointing. KR shows tend to miss the mark a lot for me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

Let me ask you what you liked about kamer rider in the first place?
Like I have found that flashy special effects, fun fighting choreography, good belts and slick suits are already nearly half of a cocktail for me liking a rider series.
Zero-one has most of those things in spades and adds one of the best secondary riders (in my opinion ) in the series as well as a pretty strong supporting cast. (Something most people agree on) It starts fantastic and has (in my opinion) a solid ending especially considering the Corona pandemic hitting it at full force.
The middle drags but is not without a few laughs, however part of that drag may be mitigated by not having to wait a week between episodes.
It has some glaring issues, but in general I don’t think I would tell people not to watch it.

Zi-o is the sequel to Decade....and I would actually recommend watching it. I don’t like talking about it because that series pisses me off to no end. It has some really fantastic character moments and a pretty good cast, but by god that storyline is a huge contradictory mess.
The start is horrible, the middle is good, the ending uneven.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

If you're like me, you'll like Zero One and strongly dislike Saber; if you're like most of the rest of the thread, you'll dislike both.

So uh, watch something older I guess. E: Slight rephrase, there are some other people in this thread that liked Zero-One.

I'll second Zero One being rad, it's a really fun series. There's just no point in posting about it because it's very clear everyone hates the hell out of it here.

Saber had a absolutely useless 15~ episode start, then restarted and has actually been pretty good on the last few episodes. I'm honestly stunned, as I'd basically dropped it when Gemn subs stopped on it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zero-One is very strong in terms of suits and fight spectacle. If that's what you want out of Kamen Rider, then it'll suit your needs.

What killed it for me was the lack of relationships. There's nothing in it anything like Ankh and Eiji, or Ryu and Akiko, or even Kazumi and Gentoku. That is the heart of Kamen Rider, imo. Strong characters who are entertaining to watch together, and who grow and change because of their interactions.

In Zero-One, major character's arcs are completed by giving them an Alexa that tells them to get better. The central relationship of the show is between a CEO and his robot secretary who he treats basically the same as all other robots, and at the end she dies and he just loving buys a new one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked the Ark-One twist/arc. The show didn't really earn it 100% but the ideas behind it where cool as gently caress.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gripweed posted:

In Zero-One, major character's arcs are completed by giving them an Alexa that tells them to get better. The central relationship of the show is between a CEO and his robot secretary who he treats basically the same as all other robots, and at the end she dies and he just loving buys a new one.

Don't forget she was explicitly and provably sentient at that point.

What a trash fire if you care a single iota about characters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The character who gets therapy from Alexa's previous big character turn was unironically "Why do I fight? I keep fighting to find that answer!", which is to say the former bit at least makes sense for the beautiful angry himbo that he is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Aruto had already made an Alexa to help a man refuse to move past his daughter's death in a healthy way.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Watched up to ToQ 15

Not sure what I expected from the Emperor of Darkness but it probably wasn't Zed. Seems like an interesting character that's really thrown a twist into how things have been operating so far

The ace detective episode was brilliantly goofy.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just wait until you get the 6th because he is also one of the high points of the series.

Definitely looking forward to getting there.

RBX posted:

The robots get better as the show goes on and you get used to it.

I don't even super dislike ToQ-oh or anything I don't think, there's just something about it in the colour striping or something that I'm just like, not a fan

Diesel-oh is a bit better, I think just because of the colour blocking. The burgundy from it helps Super ToQ-oh look a lot better, too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the robots in ToQger look better in toy form than in show*, plus it's one of the few shows where an enemy robot(that isn't just a remold/recolor of one of the good guy robots and/or switches sides later) gets proper merchandise representation

*far from the first or last time that has happened with a more modern series

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Not sure what I expected from the Emperor of Darkness but it probably wasn't Zed. Seems like an interesting character that's really thrown a twist into how things have been operating so far

Z's appearance is definitely when ToQger gets really good, and the villains go from "okay" to "by far the best part of the show". He's such a great character and adds super interesting character interactions to the villain side that weren't there before, and it just feels like the writers put significantly more effort into the important villains from there on too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The character who gets therapy from Alexa's previous big character turn was unironically "Why do I fight? I keep fighting to find that answer!", which is to say the former bit at least makes sense for the beautiful angry himbo that he is.

Yeah, but the reason for why he got the Alexa was a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't make any sense if you think about it for longer than like a minute.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is anybody subbing Girl Gun Lady?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For some reason someone is doing a Kickstarter for a series of retro Ultraman trading cards. It claims to be officially licensed. I guess Tsuburaya is just throwing the license around to whoever will do something with it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020657542/ultraman-trading-cards-from-rrparkscards?ref=user_menu

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Gripweed posted:

For some reason someone is doing a Kickstarter for a series of retro Ultraman trading cards. It claims to be officially licensed. I guess Tsuburaya is just throwing the license around to whoever will do something with it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020657542/ultraman-trading-cards-from-rrparkscards?ref=user_menu

I mean, Heroes of the Grid is an Officially licensed product that came through kickstarter. It's not unprecedented.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I’m really good friends with one of the artists. I’m stoked about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
wait hold up rewind Saber is getting good?