Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's exactly what it sounds like.

Bogor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yup.

https://sonofstuckfunky.com/2015/09/27/say-my-name/

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 7, 2021

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

sweeperbravo posted:

Holbrook I just skip entirely unless somebody quotes something, to me it's not even funny bad or in any way amusing or entertaining bad.

I need to relearn how to skip Holbrook's comics. It's true, they are just bad; not bad in a way that you can laugh at, they're not even bad enough to hate-read like a Dustin or a Luann or a Batiukverse comic. Every panel of a Holbrook comic is a breathlessly tedious exploration of a setting and characters that actively repel me, surrounded by a thick fog of "wtf is wrong with the guy writing this?"

Beyond that, I think the only other comics I really just hated were 9CL and Pibgorn, because it so rapidly reached the point where the only thing to say about any given strip was that it was terrible for the same reasons the strip the day before was terrible and that the author was a pompous windbag as well as being a perv. I'm so glad they're gone.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like this Moomin story much better than the wild west or French revolution-ish ones. I dunno if the writer got better, or if it's just that this one doesn't rely on a weird time travel gimmick (even though the time machine keeps getting mentioned). It just feels more Moominlike, I guess is the best way to put it.

It took me about twenty seconds to realize that these were supposed to be butterflies.

I wasn't totally in love with the Indians and it made me quit. I should pick them Moomins back up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set would like to speak to the manager of Almond Joy.

Working Daze tries to pretend it's a business comic.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a good start for an extended universe.

Cul De Sac has a product I wish existed when I was a kid.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 7, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set would like to speak to the manager of Almond Joy.

That Dinette Set didn't come through for me boss.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

That Dinette Set didn't come through for me boss.

Yeah, I messed up the URL.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

As Dinette sets go that is a lot of dense dialogue.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
My bottom 3 list... I think it looks like this:

1) Intelligent Life - sub-Family Guy nerd humour, and I never liked Family Guy.
2) Working Daze - Bad in like, every way, absolutely insulting nerd humour, just loving lazy.
3) Rose is Rose - I wish that baby would get hit by a truck.

Further dishonourable mentions include Dustin for the reasons others have stated, Luann for not finishing its loving storylines and trying to get us to hate the only likeable characters, 9CL for being painfully pretentious and horny, OBH for having once been decently regarded then getting real spiteful, and the loving Winkerverse.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight (and a Nuts and Jolts for funsies) Oct. 16th, 1940

Has this always been the thing with doctors?

Axa

This wasn't supposed to be like this, I just thought it'd be funny to use the label as a censor bar and then...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

catlord posted:

This wasn't supposed to be like this, I just thought it'd be funny to use the label as a censor bar and then...

This is incredibly cursed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Schwarzwald posted:

This is incredibly cursed.

Axa doesn't deserve that.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
The worst:
1. Dustin - I understand the humor - it just comes from all the wrong places.
2. Mary Worth - This wouldn't be on my list before the current story-line. And it wouldn't have made it if we had seen one disembodied floating head or the characters had done ONE interesting thing ... ANYTHING.
3. Rose is Rose - trash.

And He Did! (April 23, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 6, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 30, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 20, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 19, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 10, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (July 11, 1948)

Those Were the Days (August 14, 1952)

Wee Pals (July 10, 1965)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

catlord posted:

One day, who knows, our weak work ethic could be as splendid as Dethany's

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So much hate for Rose is Rose! That's one of those that's just so bland, so often, it can't penetrate my jaded shell. Rose thinks she's tough because she sometimes eats a spicy thing, she does yoga. She enjoys her family. It's utterly inoffensive.

...until that drat baby shows up. I hate that baby.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The three comics I hate the most ITT are:

1) All of Holbrook's comics - The man has been making three comics for almost four decades and he still can't come up with a good visual metaphor joke. The way Holbrook just adds whatever he thinks is neat at the moment, combined with 'good guy' characters who have no moral high ground, combine to make comics about assholes living in hellish worlds where capitalism and corporate bootlicking are promoted as the best thing to do ever. It also brought us that stupid storyline about DNA Wizard wanting to protect Mars from being colonized by companies from Earth, so her solution is to adopt Mars as her child, which only cements her status as a colonizer who made a profit from loving up Mars.

2) Cancerbean Universe - Beside what others said about St. Lisa, Batiuk's comics are middling slogs of smirking assholes trying to out-smug one another, usually with lovely malapropisms. It also hates young people a lot, either by not featuring any kids/teenagers prominently in stories or having the old fogies poo poo on the youths these days and their terrible technology. He can't decide if he wants to make his comic silly or miserable, so the tone is all over the place. What I hate the most about Batiuk is how he keeps trying to cram in somewhat current topics into his comic without doing the bare minimum research about it, all because Batiuk keeps trying to chase the accolades he got from his Cancerwife storyline. One of the most egregious ones is where Batiuk tackled feminism by writing about Ruby the old comic artist, while in Crankshaft he wrote about Crankshaft's bowling team making GBS threads on the one nice lady in their company for the millionth time.

3) Mary Worth - While the characters are just there and the storylines are poorly-paced bland mush designed to appeal to old people, what really makes it awful are the toxic morals it imparts. I've been reading MW in these threads for a few years now and it has never had a good moral or satisfying resolution to it. The closest we've had in MW being fun was Drunk Wilbur's antics, but instead of Estelle rightfully dumping Wilbur for embarrassing her and trying to use her to make his ex-girlfriend jealous, it swerved into some nonsense that Wilbur had a drinking problem.

This raises so many uncomfortable questions. Is Rudy only staying with Fiona because of his domestication? Is it doing that because it wants him to have an owner of sorts? How deep does it change your personality? Did the birds design it so it'd come back no matter what?

The fact it can even be cured makes Holbrook's use of domestication partly as a metaphor for being gay even more poorly thought-out.

One of those videos Lisa made is titled 'To the Other Woman', and in it she leaves a smug message to the new wife to not mind it if Les sometimes cries out Lisa's name while the two of them are having sex. Batiuk made this and somehow thought it would make Lisa charming, somehow.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

JethroMcB posted:

So much hate for Rose is Rose! That's one of those that's just so bland, so often, it can't penetrate my jaded shell. Rose thinks she's tough because she sometimes eats a spicy thing, she does yoga. She enjoys her family. It's utterly inoffensive.

...until that drat baby shows up. I hate that baby.

Honestly the thing I hate the most about it is the art. I remember when I first started following this thread, I couldn't make heads or tails of what was supposed to be going on with its depth. Everything looked like it was on the same plane, and none of the face details made sense to me. It's since then broken my brain, and I can kind of tell what the artist is going for.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (May 3, 1991)

Ugghhh, that kid is just constantly being the worst. Just kinda slimy in every way all the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hempuli posted:

Ugghhh, that kid is just constantly being the worst. Just kinda slimy in every way all the time.

He's gonna go far

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Hattie Masters posted:

3 - Overboard
One that I didn't see anyone else mention, I just can't stand how absolutely twee it is. "Oh no the dog is doing a dog thing, oh no the cat wants to eat mice and this is bad, oh no the mice are having to loving fight the COVID viruses falling from the sky." Heart is in the right place, but it can also piss off.

Man, glad I'm not the only one. It's generally genial and well-intentioned enough and never, like, blatantly offensive, but there's just a thousand dumb or inscrutable or baffling things that just can't keep from getting under my skin. My other two least favorites are Working Daze and Rose is Rose, since I have chosen to disqualify Intelligent Life for no longer being a daily strip. The Funkiverse, Holbrook Hell Worlds, and Luann are all too much fun to engage with to be "least favorites", even if I'm engaging with them by actively hating them.

I don't think I ever posted my favorites, so here are those (from the field of currently-running daily newspaper comic strips and also Crabgrass):

1. Wallace the Brave
2. Arlo and Janis
3. F Minus

Honorable mentions: Crabgrass, Andertoons, BCN

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 7-13, 2000)

"Alright let's make a permanent, significant change to this one person's vital records without consulting them or asking them for permission first! Surely they'll be grateful!"

Fiona no.

Also, to be fair, things I like in these strips:

- Bruno and Corrie's relationship;
- Kell being the queer adult looking out for the closeted queer kids.

Also the comment section for the strip sometimes has interesting discussions, this is relevant to something that had been asked itt a while ago.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Since when is Kell queer? How is this supposed to even be a queer relationship? Has the terrible metaphor for interracial relationships collapsed into just being relationships against societal norms or what.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The way it's intended to be, predator/prey relationship are that world's equivalent of gay relationships as they were in the '90s: not illegal, but heavily frowned upon by society. Kell here is acting as the "out adult," secretly giving advice to a pair of kids who are still closeted while keeping their secret.

(The metaphors in this strip are quite mixed, granted.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I've never seen anything suggesting that predator/prey relationships are in any way representative of gay relationships as opposed to being something resembling interracial marriage. Holbrook's terrible metaphors being generalist garbage certainly could stretch to that reading but he already has a specific terrible metaphor for queerness in "domestication" and he's not exactly a writer who deals in Very Special topics with anything approaching subtlety.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (June 14-16, 1917)

Interesting early use of the word “simp” in its current context.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ignoring how Fiona just messed with a stranger's life without their consent on the matter, it's insane that the first thing she does upon meeting Bruno's girlfriend is looking up information about her on the government registry. :psyduck: No asking Bruno about her, or talking with the girlfriend to actually get to know her as a person or anything.

Though I suppose if Holbrook made this strip in this year, he'd probably have Fiona try to find Corrie's social media accounts or something.

Mikl posted:

Also the comment section for the strip sometimes has interesting discussions, this is relevant to something that had been asked itt a while ago.

That is a lot of text from those posters defending the murders the cast has done. God bless Bunny O'hare for being the only one to make sense over there.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I like that both Tinkerson kids are allowed to own their bullies. Compare this to today's Dustin, where it's got a more meanspirited take on dealing with bullies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 29, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 29, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 29, 1989)

Beeman is a crank, but this panel has got strong :sickos: energy and I like it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/6/01

Brenda Starr 3/24/46

Smokey Stover 5/26/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus Ad! Milk makes you sexy -- or is that sexee?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

I like that both Tinkerson kids are allowed to own their bullies. Compare this to today's Dustin, where it's got a more meanspirited take on dealing with bullies.

Dustin's written by the bullies, for the bullies.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

We'll still have 10 years before his retirement + 2 years before death. I remember the last story being really rough (it was cut short), but unfortunately the images that were posted in the earlier thread are dead.

Someone with CK account could dig us some May 2013 samples.

I can't hate Mandrake because of the egg aliens. They bought a lot of goodwill.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I appreciate that Snufkin is disapproving of Moomin trying to be serious but is all in on Papa's whimsically dangerous business ventures.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Wallace the Brave out here preaching the truth.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "13 - Jucika and the Comet"

Jucika's most attractive feature? Her kindness. :3:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "13 - Jucika and the Comet"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005