Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There's 2 things that make me stop to watch Giada De Laurentiis vids.

Her cooking & my fascination with the fact she's the granddaughter of filmmaker Dino De Laurentiis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

In the book Israel is set up as the only country taking the walker threat seriously thanks to Mossad joining the dots way before anyone else - they announce early in the outbreak that anyone who is from the Jewish diaspora or has been previously resident in Palestine has right of return no questions asked. The viewpoint character for the chapter is a Palestinian and they get caught up in an ultra-orthodox uprising because of the policy.

I don't think it ever fully explains why they extend the policy outside the Jewish population beyond "we're going to need lots of people to survive" but it's portrayed as the government making hard decisions to secure the country long term and a catalyst for a new multi-cultural Israel/Palestine after the war.

In hindsight it's very funny that that book got so much praise for being realistic.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In "The Ruins", it's established that salting the soil keeps the killer plants from spreading, implying it is just a plant and not some supernatural thing
That could also imply it's a ghost or driverless car

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

In "The Ruins", it's established that salting the soil keeps the killer plants from spreading, implying it is just a plant and not some supernatural thing...so why not attack it by air with chemicals, or bomb it?

Eh, I mean the salt thing working is maybe the unrealistic part. Real life plants like Japanese knotweed can't be bombed or normally deforested chemically. Bombing it would just spread lots of small segments that could all regrow into full plants in a few years and it would probably survive most chemical treatments. Current mitigation strategy is to dig up all the dirt in a shockingly large area, and then consider that dirt useless and keep it quarantined forever if possible.

Also the plants being able to talk in movie is moderately unrealistic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eh, I mean the salt thing working is maybe the unrealistic part. Real life plants like Japanese knotweed can't be bombed or normally deforested chemically. Bombing it would just spread lots of small segments that could all regrow into full plants in a few years and it would probably survive most chemical treatments. Current mitigation strategy is to dig up all the dirt in a shockingly large area, and then consider that dirt useless and keep it quarantined forever if possible.

Suddenly I want to watch The Happening.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

HopperUK posted:

Suddenly I want to watch The Happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI&t=12s

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Baron von Eevl posted:

Surely there's some incredibly toxic chemical or radiation they could dose the temple with. Imagine how much free time those guys guarding it could have if they just irradiated a part of the forest a bit. Just put a sign up saying "there's poison and radiation over here, turn around" instead of having the locals just say "oh there? you don't want to go there". People are going to actually listen to you if you have a legitimate reason people can understand other than "it's got haunted plants".

edit: although honestly in horror movies i know exposing it to intense radiation would probably only make it stronger. but outside of a movie, it could probably work

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Apr 5, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Surely there's some incredibly toxic chemical or radiation they could dose the temple with. Imagine how much free time those guys guarding it could have if they just irradiated a part of the forest a bit. Just put a sign up saying "there's poison and radiation over here, turn around" instead of having the locals just say "oh there? you don't want to go there". People are going to actually listen to you if you have a legitimate reason people can understand other than "it's got haunted plants".

edit: although honestly in horror movies i know exposing it to intense radiation would probably only make it stronger. but outside of a movie, it could probably work

That tracks. Growing up ODOT had a station in my small town with piles of dirt, gravel, and this open barn with a real cool blue and white sand. My neighbors mom told us not to play in it because there were snakes in the stuff but I'd never seen a snake so being a small child I just continued to play it.

It was actually lye or lime or some l word powder that definitely wasn't something kids should be playing in. But instead of telling is the stuff itself was harmful she went with snakes

There was a small creek that she didn't want us playing in because "there's sucker bugs that will drink all your blood and kill you" and I assume she meant ticks?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Len posted:

There was a small creek that she didn't want us playing in because "there's sucker bugs that will drink all your blood and kill you" and I assume she meant ticks?

Maybe leeches? All movies involving a lake or pond or stream seem to have a scene where they are all having fun skinny dipping and then suddenly someone has a leech on their balls.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She meant there's a plant upstream dumping insanely toxic substances into it.

I don't think radiation would do much against knotweed and it probably wouldn't do much against those talking carnivorous flowers or whatever either. Like sure eventually it would be completely sterile, but lingering radiation doesn't do a ton against plants other than making them occasionally grow kinda weird. Look at Chernobyl. Large mammals are like extremely complex watches with extremely tiny moving parts, one of them goes slightly off and the whole thing might be borked. A lot of plants and bugs are more straightforward and can withstand a lot of abuse at the cellular level, plus they reproduce so fast and so much that they'd basically be fine.

There are probably deforestation agents that would kill any plant life down there, but you'd probably have to cover a really wide swath of the forest and keep reapplying it. For knotweed a treatment that occasionally works is to inject potent weed killers into the hollow stem of every single shoot, then cover the whole area with several heavy layers of tarp to block out all light and which won't be pierced by growing shoots, and leave that there for a bare minimum 1 year. For knotweed, underground stems can grow 30 feet laterally, so you really have to over judge the area you're clearing.

I seem to remember the plants in The Ruins growing pretty well inside, where there's very very little light and probably not a ton of moisture. It's probably very hearty regarding darkness and since it can eat a person it can probably just as effectively eat through whatever tarps you'd throw over it.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Apr 5, 2021

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I accepted every single part of Kong vs Godzilla because big monkey punch big lizard but the dad having no reaction to his kid just showing up in Hong Kong was too much.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Maybe leeches? All movies involving a lake or pond or stream seem to have a scene where they are all having fun skinny dipping and then suddenly someone has a leech on their balls.
Which was especially hard to watch in On Golden Pond

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think radiation would do much against knotweed and it probably wouldn't do much against those talking carnivorous flowers or whatever either. Like sure eventually it would be completely sterile, but lingering radiation doesn't do a ton against plants other than making them occasionally grow kinda weird. Look at Chernobyl. Large mammals are like extremely complex watches with extremely tiny moving parts, one of them goes slightly off and the whole thing might be borked. A lot of plants and bugs are more straightforward and can withstand a lot of abuse at the cellular level, plus they reproduce so fast and so much that they'd basically be fine.

There are probably deforestation agents that would kill any plant life down there, but you'd probably have to cover a really wide swath of the forest and keep reapplying it. For knotweed a treatment that occasionally works is to inject potent weed killers into the hollow stem of every single shoot, then cover the whole area with several heavy layers of tarp to block out all light and which won't be pierced by growing shoots, and leave that there for a bare minimum 1 year. For knotweed, underground stems can grow 30 feet laterally, so you really have to over judge the area you're clearing.

I seem to remember the plants in The Ruins growing pretty well inside, where there's very very little light and probably not a ton of moisture. It's probably very hearty regarding darkness and since it can eat a person it can probably just as effectively eat through whatever tarps you'd throw over it.

I'd probably be the guy in the movie ignoring your science and saying "just drop a nuke on it" and making it worse. But they really should just drop a nuke on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think radiation would do much against knotweed and it probably wouldn't do much against those talking carnivorous flowers or whatever either. Like sure eventually it would be completely sterile, but lingering radiation doesn't do a ton against plants other than making them occasionally grow kinda weird.

Most commercial plant varieties in the last century were made by placing an ionising radiation source in the middle of a table full of seedlings.

Mutation breeding has given us most of the big crop advances through the incredibly precise method of "Well, this one didn't wither up and seems to grow well. Let's feed it to someone and see if they die."

Yet genetic engineering is the devil.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I'd probably be the guy in the movie ignoring your science and saying "just drop a nuke on it" and making it worse. But they really should just drop a nuke on it.

A nuke would probably work, the ridiculous heat and energy would destroy whatever root structure is there. Just exposing it to radiation wouldn't do poo poo. Like irradiate a field of daisies, you'd just get a field of daisies but some of them look weird.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Most commercial plant varieties in the last century were made by placing an ionising radiation source in the middle of a table full of seedlings.

Mutation breeding has given us most of the big crop advances through the incredibly precise method of "Well, this one didn't wither up and seems to grow well. Let's feed it to someone and see if they die."

Yet genetic engineering is the devil.

Yeah, we've been engineering plant's genes since time immemorial, otherwise we wouldn't have loving corn or bananas. We're just more precise about it now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This also happens often when skinny dipping in real lakes/ponds.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

If these plants somehow evolved to be Roundup ready, assuming they're broad leafs, Banvel should kill the living plants well. Atrazine is good for pre-emergence. Of course, good old 2-4D kills broad leafs well.

If the vines are grass based, Spectracide should answer. It's toxic to humans with long term exposure, but super toxic to grasses. I will break down in a couple days and the land would be fine.

You could also plant a crop that's stronger than the Triffids or whatever they're supposed to be. Creeping Charlie, Creeping Potentilla, or Archangel will typically choke out anything. Shade or sun.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

mostlygray posted:

You could also plant a crop that's stronger than the Triffids or whatever they're supposed to be. Creeping Charlie, Creeping Potentilla, or Archangel will typically choke out anything. Shade or sun.
Ah, the classic coyote>bear>tiger approach.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Push El Burrito posted:

I accepted every single part of Kong vs Godzilla because big monkey punch big lizard but the dad having no reaction to his kid just showing up in Hong Kong was too much.

That snapped me right out of the movie. He's just totally chill about it!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The new American Godzilla movies make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because it seems like from which of them have been successful, and which elements the studios have been running with, that the exact things I enjoyed about the first (2014) reboot movie are precisely the things that literally everyone else disliked. What I liked about Godzilla 2014 was the sense of scale and weight to everything, and how the movie really made you feel what it would be like to a normal-sized human in the middle of an attack like that. Almost everything was shot from angles and points-of-view that a person in the middle of all that would experience, either paratroopers jumping in, or civilians running for shelter, or jet pilots flying over, etc, etc. This lead to people complaining that you didn't see enough of the monsters on screen, but that's what it would be like! There was no omnipresent flying third-person camera to capture every second of the action.

That movie apparently disappointed in terms of box office, and so every subsequent film doubled down on the Man of Steel-style CGI videogame cutscene style of action, where yeah, the monsters are constantly onscreen, constantly fighting, but it's just pixels punching pixels, flattening empty cities made of more pixels inhabited by nobody you care about, with no weight or drama or sense of scale. Godzilla 2014 seemed to draw more on the lessons of the original original Gojira movie, where the monster was just a big walking metaphor, and the real point of the movie was the effect on the poor schmucks on the ground. Godzilla 2014 was like someone made another Cloverfield but without the characters you actively wished death upon and with 90% less vomit-cam.

Godzilla vs Kong is the most Man of Steelish of them yet, just nonstop CGI things punching each other and absolutely zero human beings we give a single gently caress about. And everyone says, "gently caress yeah, finally!" and I'm just like... :psyduck:

Imagined has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Apr 6, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sometimes you just want a spectacle punchfest from a kaiju movie. With the American Godzillas I’m perfectly okay with that since at the very least it’ll be fun to watch the monsters duke it out thanks to the huge CGI budget. That Hong Kong fight scene was great. Cheesy as hell but great.

I’ve talked about it before in this thread but if you want something a little more character driven where the monster is treated something like a force of nature Shin Godzilla is the way to go. It is (almost) flawless.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was idly curious on the recent-ish Power Rangers movie so I watched a clip of the final battle. The Zords combining into the Megazord happens mostly offscreen, and what little is shown is obscured by lava.

What the gently caress?! That’s a loving travesty! Obvious cost-saving measures are a staple of the genre, but NOT LIKE THIS!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kruller posted:

That snapped me right out of the movie. He's just totally chill about it!

Well yeah, Hong Kong has the pinnacle of giant monster protection setup. There were probably no injuries sustained at all during that fight

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Sometimes you just want a spectacle punchfest from a kaiju movie. With the American Godzillas I’m perfectly okay with that since at the very least it’ll be fun to watch the monsters duke it out thanks to the huge CGI budget. That Hong Kong fight scene was great. Cheesy as hell but great.

I’ve talked about it before in this thread but if you want something a little more character driven where the monster is treated something like a force of nature Shin Godzilla is the way to go. It is (almost) flawless.

It won't surprise you but my favorite Kaiju movies of the modern era are Shin Godzilla, Colossal, and Gareth Edwards' movie before Godzilla 2014, Monsters. Also: Super 8. So all movies where the monster is either a metaphor (Shin Godzilla, Colossal) or a vehicle through which we understand the human characters (Monsters, Super 8). I don't see the popcorn-spectacle goal as being mutually exclusive with having human characters the audience cares about.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dr Christmas posted:

I was idly curious on the recent-ish Power Rangers movie so I watched a clip of the final battle. The Zords combining into the Megazord happens mostly offscreen, and what little is shown is obscured by lava.

What the gently caress?! That’s a loving travesty! Obvious cost-saving measures are a staple of the genre, but NOT LIKE THIS!

In a movie that goes on so long there must be and i’m not joking -

- 5 minutes it seems like of power ranger suit screen time

-Less than a minute total of the power rangers fighting.

Bizarre.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Imagined posted:

The new American Godzilla movies make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because it seems like from which of them have been successful, and which elements the studios have been running with, that the exact things I enjoyed about the first (2014) reboot movie are precisely the things that literally everyone else disliked. What I liked about Godzilla 2014 was the sense of scale and weight to everything, and how the movie really made you feel what it would be like to a normal-sized human in the middle of an attack like that. Almost everything was shot from angles and points-of-view that a person in the middle of all that would experience, either paratroopers jumping in, or civilians running for shelter, or jet pilots flying over, etc, etc. This lead to people complaining that you didn't see enough of the monsters on screen, but that's what it would be like! There was no omnipresent flying third-person camera to capture every second of the action.

That movie apparently disappointed in terms of box office, and so every subsequent film doubled down on the Man of Steel-style CGI videogame cutscene style of action, where yeah, the monsters are constantly onscreen, constantly fighting, but it's just pixels punching pixels, flattening empty cities made of more pixels inhabited by nobody you care about, with no weight or drama or sense of scale. Godzilla 2014 seemed to draw more on the lessons of the original original Gojira movie, where the monster was just a big walking metaphor, and the real point of the movie was the effect on the poor schmucks on the ground. Godzilla 2014 was like someone made another Cloverfield but without the characters you actively wished death upon and with 90% less vomit-cam.

Godzilla vs Kong is the most Man of Steelish of them yet, just nonstop CGI things punching each other and absolutely zero human beings we give a single gently caress about. And everyone says, "gently caress yeah, finally!" and I'm just like... :psyduck:

Ironically you should really watch the first ten minutes of Batman vs Superman, which Man of Steel given the Gojira/Godzilla 2014 treatment.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Imagined posted:

I mean, G14 had zero human beings I gave a single gently caress about after Cranston died

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I mean, G14 had zero human beings I gave a single gently caress about after Cranston died

Knew someone would say this, but you don't even SEE any bystanders at all in GvK. The only people in it are "hey it's that person from that thing" and literally a crying indian trope.

If I had to guess, it's because the movie is about Godzilla and Kong teaming up to beat actual bad guy Mechagodzilla-possessed-by-Ghidorah and, again ala Man of Steel, seeing them flatten thousands of civilians would contradict any idea of them both being good guys.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 6, 2021

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Byzantine posted:

In retrospect this is still an upgrade over the human characters in the following films, who I hated and found annoying as hell most of the time, outside some of the Skull Island cast. KotM and GvK was full of humans I wished would get crushed. At least bland mcArmy man didn't get in the way and was mostly just there to give you the sense of perspective

Killing Cranston so early instead of letting him anchor the movie is still G14's biggest error though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think you could probably cut the whole train sequence from Godzilla 2014 without losing much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately it's more that the big CGI punchfests are much like MCU particle effect blasts in that they're what big action movies will basically default to if the director isn't particularly interested in and good at giving the action more weight, impact and meaningful narrative. It's pretty much just the case of the first movie being the one that had the effort put into it while the rest become more cashgrabs riding its coattails.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

I liked Godzilla 2014, and loved Godzilla vs Kong. The problem is movies like Godzilla: King of the Monsters where they try to split the difference and it was watchable but kinda bland.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Man of Steel is absolutely phenomenal and I will never understand why some people are clamoring to have more human characters to "care about" when Superman is right there as the one the entire movie spent building up for you to care about. Same for monster movies. I care about the monster! gently caress randos on the street, I don't want to see a rando on the street movie!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Simply Simon posted:

Man of Steel is absolutely phenomenal and I will never understand why some people are clamoring to have more human characters to "care about" when Superman is right there as the one the entire movie spent building up for you to care about. Same for monster movies. I care about the monster! gently caress randos on the street, I don't want to see a rando on the street movie!

Because Superman on his own isn't human, he's a force of nature. You can't care about Superman on his own any more than you can care about what happens to a tornado.

The best Superman stories are the ones where he interacts with others,as his morality combined with his incredible power are contrasted against those who have either one or neither and how he must stay true to his beliefs to protect them all the best he can.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I cared a lot about Cavill-Superman-as-a-human and if you don't want that than of course you won't get anything from the movie, but it was really good for me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Morpheus posted:

Because Superman on his own isn't human, he's a force of nature. You can't care about Superman on his own any more than you can care about what happens to a tornado.

The best Superman stories are the ones where he interacts with others,as his morality combined with his incredible power are contrasted against those who have either one or neither and how he must stay true to his beliefs to protect them all the best he can.
Also, the humans he interacts with in that movie are really poor catalysts for his human side. The big thing with Pa Kent, "will Superman stay hidden", is resolved in the very first scene of the movie, before the question is even posed. Ok, even without the modern day scenes we know Superman will become public, so him not saving Pa Kent could be tragic (you know, with us knowing that he's letting him die as per his request, even if he could have saved him)...but the way the scene is shot gives it a tragicomic treatment at best, since we've seen generic, non Superman action heroes save someone in Pa Kent's situation a thousand times in this kind of movies. It's like if Will Smith died offscreen in a car crash in the middle of Indipendence Day (AKA: Indipendence Day 2).

As Strom Cuzewon said, the first scene in BvS does a better job at having the fight between Supe and Zod have an emotional impact (albeit a gut one at that) than anything in MoS.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Apr 7, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly don't remember because I originally saw it several years ago in half-hour chunks over a few days, but doesn't Batman vs. Superman have the destruction of Metropolis (which is next door to Gotham?) as the catalyst for Bruce Wayne becoming Batman?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I honestly don't remember because I originally saw it several years ago in half-hour chunks over a few days, but doesn't Batman vs. Superman have the destruction of Metropolis (which is next door to Gotham?) as the catalyst for Bruce Wayne becoming Batman?
No, but it's the catalyst for Bruce having a hardon hatred of Supe, as far as I remember (haven't seen either in a while, I'll be honest). I think Bruce was about to walk into the local Wayne Enterprises office in Metropolis when Supe and Zod level it?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, the humans he interacts with in that movie are really poor catalysts for his human side. The big thing with Pa Kent, "will Superman stay hidden", is resolved in the very first scene of the movie, before the question is even posed. Ok, even without the modern day scenes we know Superman will become public, so him not saving Pa Kent could be tragic (you know, with us knowing that he's letting him die as per his request, even if he could have saved him)...but the way the scene is shot gives it a tragicomic treatment at best, since we've seen generic, non Superman action heroes save someone in Pa Kent's situation a thousand times in this kind of movies. It's like if Will Smith died offscreen in a car crash in the middle of Indipendence Day (AKA: Indipendence Day 2).

As Strom Cuzewon said, the first scene in BvS does a better job at having the fight between Supe and Zod have an emotional impact (albeit a gut one at that) than anything in MoS.

The way Pa Kent dies in Man of Steel completely misses the point of what his death is supposed to teach Clark. It's supposed to teach him that he can't save everyone, because Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, not a loving tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think Bruce outright states he’s been Batman for 20 years at one point.