Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I got really good at Pac-Man Championship Edition DX when it came out, and had a bunch of top 10 global scores for a while... this is my time to shine, babyyyyy.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The trailer has skins

Yeah but there's skins, and there's crazy music / the camera zooms in and gets more and more frantic and stuff explodes everywhere

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah but there's skins, and there's crazy music / the camera zooms in and gets more and more frantic and stuff explodes everywhere

If I may, where is your av from? I like it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PowerBeard posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ The problem is Konami love charging crazy amounts for their products and rarely reverse their decisions. We got an arcade collection that I still barely understand what I'm getting for free and what is in the bundles.

1. You're thinking of the Capcom arcade collection, not Konami
2. Pac-Man is Namco, also not Konami

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

That's Lum from the classic manga/anime Urusei Yatsura

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tell me about Children of Morta. Any good? I heard it was somewhat Diablo like. Or is it more rogue like?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

It has been mentioned already that it's Lum but there was an avatarchange thread somewhere on the forums where someone changed like... 100 avatars to pictures of Lum. But I like it too

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It has been mentioned already that it's Lum but there was an avatarchange thread somewhere on the forums where someone changed like... 100 avatars to pictures of Lum. But I like it too

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's Lum from the classic manga/anime Urusei Yatsura

Thank you! I absolutely love the art from that era in Japan. I have a giant bikini wearing Athena poster hanging in my office and it reminded me of that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

homeless snail posted:

It has ghost trains though

Yes, weren't those in CE? Those are great.

It's all the rest of the weird bullshit added to 2 that I didn't like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

External Organs posted:

Tell me about Children of Morta. Any good? I heard it was somewhat Diablo like. Or is it more rogue like?

It's a roguelike, and was just updated, so maybe the progression won't be as bad as it used to be.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Thank you! I absolutely love the art from that era in Japan. I have a giant bikini wearing Athena poster hanging in my office and it reminded me of that.

The manga is by Rumiko Takahashi who's one of the most successful manga artists in Japan - she also did Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

External Organs posted:

I'd describe it as more like Gauntlet or Diablo than a roguelike. It's Diablo without equipment loot, and instead you're looting gold to upgrade all your characters' stats. Character abilities come from light Diablo-2 style skill trees. The roguelike comparisons come from 'charms', 'graces', 'runes', and 'relics' which are equipments you get in the dungeon and can't keep after a run. Many, many combinations of these are viable though, and good play fundamentals will let you survive without any of them.

The game borrows a ton from Diablo 2 and 3, including character archetypes and effects/abilities of the player and enemies, but recontextualizes them enough to feel like something new. And while it never reaches the fight escalation of Diablo 2 or 3 (more akin to Diablo 1 in that regard) the actual combat feels a lot more involved and is much more satisfying. I feel like the design of the game pares away a lot of the micromanagement to leave the gameplay that matters - I was personally looking for something Gauntlet-y so this satisfies me.

The boss fights are all pretty neat though I swear the first one is the hardest.

I completed Morta twice recently, and really loved the monk character, so I thought I'd go try to play the monk in Diablo 3, and it isn't even close. The monk in Morta is really fun to play, while I can fall asleep playing the monk in Diablo 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The United States posted:

Real missed opportunity by Nintendo to make their switch pro controller look like this abomination of a "wii u controller eating a snes controller" instead, imo

I bet the d-pad works properly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

it has proper concave upper buttons, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I get the argument for concave buttons in theory, but in practice it doesn't matter at all; who doesn't know which button is in what location? Who's thumb is that small that they also recognize the difference between the feel of the buttons?

When my thumb is on the button layout, it's very clear where X is, in relation to Y. It's like saying that the arrow keys on a keyboard should feel different to denote their position. No, they don't.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

having grown up with the snes controller, i find i actually prefer the way a super famicom controller feels to it. the snes y button is super uncomfortable after a while.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get the argument for concave buttons in theory, but in practice it doesn't matter at all; who doesn't know which button is in what location? Who's thumb is that small that they also recognize the difference between the feel of the buttons?

When my thumb is on the button layout, it's very clear where X is, in relation to Y. It's like saying that the arrow keys on a keyboard should feel different to denote their position. No, they don't.

If you can't feel surface differences on the scale of half your thumb width, there's something wrong with your thumb. I don't even like the feel of concave buttons, but.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

External Organs posted:

It's good but a little slower than you might expect. Each family member plays way different and their upgrade trees can unlock benefits for the whole group, so it's a good idea to play them all.

The story is pretty good, if a bit generic.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just prefer the way they feel over convex ones.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only button I hate is a clicky loud one, oh and I also hate clicking in the sticks but other than that all buttons welcome.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Evil Fluffy posted:

I bet the d-pad works properly.

Would you like to put money on that?

(I bought one back in the day. Every direction on the d pad registered as down)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

If you can't feel surface differences on the scale of half your thumb width, there's something wrong with your thumb. I don't even like the feel of concave buttons, but.

I'm not saying I can't feel it, I'm saying that I've never taken the curve of the button into consideration when I'm trying to figure out what button I'm pressing without looking. They're close enough together that it's already apparent.

Edit for wording.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sounds like Morta is indeed worth 11 bucks. Thanks y'all!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the best button indicators are the ones the switch uses when you're using single joy-cons, where it just shows all four buttons and highlights the correct one. no confusion

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/04/indie_metroidvania_blasphemous_is_getting_the_deluxe_physical_switch_release_it_deserves

Looks like Blasphemous is getting a deluxe physical release end of June. I am pretty lukewarm on it but I know there are some people in this thread that really liked it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Isn't this the third time Blasphemous has been published physically?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Happy Hedonist posted:

Please post a picture. Athena's name is magic.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
PAC-Man looks cool

Give me back my Mario you loving cowards.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rad Valtar posted:

PAC-Man looks cool

Give me back my Mario you loving cowards.

Pac Man ate Mario.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'll pay money for Pac Man 99 but only because I'm just sad that I can't pay money for tony hawk yet.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Please post a picture. Athena's name is magic.

I will when I get home, I love it. haha

It's the original flyer from the game Athena, I think. A friend cleaned it up and printed it for me at his shop years ago.

This one, it's horny so I spoilered it.

Edit: BTW you can play that game and psycho soldier on the switch. The SNK collection is legit fantastic.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's loving daylight saving time! Why can't they ever get it right?

EDIT for reference:

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'll pay money for Pac Man 99 but only because I'm just sad that I can't pay money for tony hawk yet.

This, but I'm waiting on Dusk.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes, weren't those in CE? Those are great.

It's all the rest of the weird bullshit added to 2 that I didn't like.
No they were in CE DX, CE was just a straight remake of Pac-Man

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Man Pac 99 looks fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

No they were in CE DX, CE was just a straight remake of Pac-Man

Ah, ok well that's what I meant; I'm good with ghost trains, taking out tons of ghosts at once. It was a bunch of the other stuff in 2 that just seems to be too much (in a game that already has a poo poo ton going on, visually).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo slipped another switch pro reference in the 12.0 firmware

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379515349566173193

there's also new code related to updating the docks firmware, so they might finally be enabling USB 3.0 on the inner port

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Pac-Man CE DX was more like a puzzle game than a straight Pac-Man game since there was an optimal route to eat the dots and maximize your ghost train. It was pretty great, I loved it. I was even near the top of the leaderboards on Dungeon for a while, it didn't last long (about a day), but it was cool.

I'm excited for Pac-Man 99 even though I'll almost certainly never win.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've got 99 Pac-Men but a ghost ain't one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

repiv posted:

nintendo slipped another switch pro reference in the 12.0 firmware

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1379515349566173193

there's also new code related to updating the docks firmware, so they might finally be enabling USB 3.0 on the inner port

From what I remember the dock's USB 3.0 port fully works, it's just that the Switch firmware doesn't have any xHCI drivers to actually get 3.0 speeds.

And the new code for upgrading docks is not for any existing docks.