Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

the most hosed up thing is that this gif in their signature is a link... to an illusion of gaia song. why not yggdra...

wait holy poo poo they were all links?!

:tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

miss u owl day

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol I somehow forget every time that it was about Darling in the Franxx

It was lightning rod of a show

I guess

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Indirect kiss...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol I somehow forget every time that it was about Darling in the Franxx
sometimes i forget darling in the franxx, in general

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endorph posted:

But how could you forget such memorable characters like uh, that lesbian girl, the two who got married, and the chick with the horns? What about the doggy style cockpits?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

drat I need to check this show out

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

who's frank?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
it's telling that little witch academia got in srw before franxx did, or gently caress, any of the out there picks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/rolandkelts/status/1379612313834057728?s=20

As if the problem is a lack of education and not the industry being a loving meat grinder that burns everyone out at 25.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

it's telling that little witch academia got in srw before franxx did, or gently caress, any of the out there picks
i dont think being a throwaway joke in a mobage that is now dead really counts as 'getting into srw'. franxx will absolutely be in a mainline srw at some point.

Waffleman_ posted:

As if the problem is a lack of education and not the industry being a loving meat grinder that burns everyone out at 25.
i realize it looks like deflection on its face but if you actually break it down: if there were more skilled animators, then the animators would have to do less work individually. thats why kyoto animation put such huge emphasis on training and elevating young talent, and will continue to do so once things are fully back in order with them.

of course more pay would also draw more people into the industry, but still

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 7, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

And that it severely underpays its staff. :cripes:

Though I will say that having an easier pathway towards a career in animation, if that is your dream, is indeed a good thing. It's just that this is a stop gap that doesn't solve most of the fundamental underlying issues.

A startling tidbit from that article:

quote:

Overall, the domestic industry produces around 300 titles annually. Roughly 200 animators are needed to create each title. Even generous estimates peg the total number of working animators in Japan at 5,000 to 6,000. The math is ominous.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

franxx will absolutely be in a mainline srw at some point.

Probably means it'll have a better story at least

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

sometimes I forget grouchio has only watched like three anime and barely e ngages with this hobby that he's based his entire identity around

lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

lucky

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I thought the problem with the anime industry is that margins are so tight that they either underpay people or go bankrupt, so I'm not sure what adding more animators to the situation is going to accomplish. They already know these people are willing to work themselves to death and with a bigger supply they can also cut wages while working them the same amount. That's my kneejerk reaction, thanks for listening.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
animator academy programs are good for the industry, i think the problem is just that wit is not a studio i would trust with one

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

I thought the problem with the anime industry is that margins are so tight that they either underpay people or go bankrupt, so I'm not sure what adding more animators to the situation is going to accomplish. They already know these people are willing to work themselves to death and with a bigger supply they can also cut wages while working them the same amount. That's my kneejerk reaction, thanks for listening.

i thought anime mostly made money from merch (and it was a lot of money)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

well, ideally you do both. which is what kyoani was doing, and it worked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

i thought anime mostly made money from merch (and it was a lot of money)?
yeah, all the money in anime is in merch, live events, character cds, etc.

however, the people actually *making* the anime, receive none of these profits. that is why the margins are tight. 90% of the profit is given to people and companies entirely unrelated to the actual core product.

furthermore, the thing with merch and such is that to turn a profit on them, there needs to be a decently sized fanbase. the people are not beating at the doors of akihabara storefronts for, iunno, granbelm merchandise (sadly). so literally no one made any money off granbelm. look at how much anime gets produced each year. 300. can you even name 300 anime period? heck, can you name 50 anime that aired last year, much less 300? the vast majority of anime that exist are just glorified ads for their source light novels/games/manga/etc, and have about as much of a budget as your average commercial - just stretched over 24 minutes instead of 24 seconds. the ads might work on a few people, but most peoples eyes just glaze past them, and they're quickly forgotten.

so you have a situation where the companies making the anime see almost none of the profit, and where most of the anime that exist aren't making a profit to begin with.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 7, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

however, the people actually *making* the anime, receive none of these profits.

that's capitalism baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

that's capitalism baby

no i mean even the execs of the anime studios make none of the money either. like not even a 'workers are being exploited' thing, even the guy exploiting the workers directly isnt seeing much of the money. the moneys going to the guys exploiting the guy exploiting the animators.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, this is also why kyoto animation was shifting to their in-house light novel contests. they owned the light novels, so they got the money from the boost in sales of the light novels. they owned the ip, so they were the ones licensing out the merch. beyond the boundary and myriad colors werent huge successes or anything but kyoani made way more off them than they did something like dragon maid.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

no i mean even the execs of the anime studios make none of the money either. like not even a 'workers are being exploited' thing, even the guy exploiting the workers directly isnt seeing much of the money. the moneys going to the guys exploiting the guy exploiting the animators.

wait what?
how are they not making money from licensed merch and events?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

marumaru posted:

wait what?

Generally when they get a contract/agreement to work on an existing IP, the cash investment to actually produce those animations come from an executive committee of investors, and in exchange they essentially get all of the profits via merchandise. Residuals are fairly small or non-existent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

wait what?
they dont own the ip. they dont make the merch. they don't host the events. why would they make money?

in the case of original anime they do make some money, but you'll notice original anime isnt nearly as common as anime based on something. the company that produced the transformers commercial doesnt make money if you buy an optimus prime figure.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the production committee gets all the revenue, the anime studio is just a contractor unless they're on the production committee. and even when they are they're usually behind like 8 other companies so they get a tiny piece of the pie.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ah, of course. i forgot that they often don't own the IP.
thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The entire amount of money that an animation studio will often ever see from the production of an anime is just the production budget. This is why it was funny when David Productions did Neptunia after Jojo and people were coping by saying "Oh they'll use the money to make Stardust Crusaders even better"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not the same without sixty animated gifs

Sigs off crew

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

they dont own the ip. they dont make the merch. they don't host the events. why would they make money?

in the case of original anime they do make some money, but you'll notice original anime isnt nearly as common as anime based on something. the company that produced the transformers commercial doesnt make money if you buy an optimus prime figure.

Is it just a lack of capital to do original series?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark can you make a sticky bulletin warning about discussing Attack on Titan final Chapter spoilers outside of the AOT thread?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Better get my big spoiler posts in while I still can

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats just capitalist accumulation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Wark can you make a sticky bulletin warning about discussing Attack on Titan final Chapter spoilers outside of the AOT thread?
If people waltz into the anime thread or any other threads dropping spoilers of that caliber, just report them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

If people waltz into the anime thread or any other threads dropping spoilers of that caliber, just report them.
I know I know.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't believe Eren and Armin ended up together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Sigs off crew