Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have doubles, but I try to not have multiple copies of the same movie next to each other on the shelf if I can avoid it. I think I only have one or two movies that break that rule, I know one for sure is the Transformers 1986 movie and that’s because the 20th anniversary version is a DVD with a lenticular case and has unique special features, and the 30th anniversary version is a Steelbook Blu-ray.

When possible I’ll merge editions into a multi-disc case or use a paper sleeve to hold one of the discs inside the steelbook; my logic is that even if I’m never going to watch the inferior disc again, not all of my friends have 4K players (and some don’t have Blu-ray players) so it gives them options when I let them borrow movies.

Edit— I also hang onto earlier editions if the special features never got ported over to later editions, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I have the criterion in the mood for love and wkw set

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

John Romero posted:

I have the criterion in the mood for love and wkw set

Did he gently caress up the color on that one? That's a valid reason to keep both.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I ordered a pack of those couch feet sliders awhile back from amazon and what came in the package was actually a DVD copy of October Sky. I dont see a reason to upgrade that one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

John Romero posted:

that’s okay, ill keep drinking that garbage

i am loving uhd guys saying “look at my cinephile collection” and it’s a shelf of marvel movies.

gonna be building up my collection from sales, just ordered 1917 from Amazon for $13. i heard it’s a meh movie but very good home theater demo.

Can you even say you love film if you don't have six different life sized plastic heads with ten disc blu-ray sets each representing one of the Marvel phases?

dorium posted:

but i also collect records so like... i dunno.

Do you have that Weird Al box set that comes in an accordion? Because that's the only way it's comparable to this loving madness?

(Or if you're one of those people who buys ten copies of the same album because the discs are different colors you are also bad but still not as bad as the loser in this video.) He even has a bunch of Arrow releases still in the plastic.

dorium posted:

I ordered a pack of those couch feet sliders awhile back from amazon and what came in the package was actually a DVD copy of October Sky. I dont see a reason to upgrade that one.

Sounds like you still got couch sliders.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Do you have that Weird Al box set that comes in an accordion? Because that's the only way it's comparable to this loving madness?

(Or if you're one of those people who buys ten copies of the same album because the discs are different colors you are also bad but still not as bad as the loser in this video.) He even has a bunch of Arrow releases still in the plastic.

Sounds like you still got couch sliders.

I was once given the chance by the universe to get that Weird Al boxset for $50 bucks. didnt do it, kinda regret it, but oh well.

never tried the October Sky couch slider, I'd need more discs and then I'd just end up like this guy. With a promo bust standee of Laura Dern that holds an ultimate edition cut of October Sky.

I just googled October Sky, you can get it now for $0.00

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like October Sky, but that may partially be nostalgia since I watched it in school at least once for some reason.

The Von Braun worship is bad, but it makes sense for a kid of the 50s who’s into rockets. And I maintain that the family drama between the son and dad is actually pretty solid. Or maybe I’m just a sucker for “Local Kid dreams of being more than just Local Man when he grows up” movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like October Sky, but that may partially be nostalgia since I watched it in school at least once for some reason.

The Von Braun worship is bad, but it makes sense for a kid of the 50s who’s into rockets. And I maintain that the family drama between the son and dad is actually pretty solid. Or maybe I’m just a sucker for “Local Kid dreams of being more than just Local Man when he grows up” movies.

When I was in high school the go-to movie for "The teacher is out today/It's the end of the year and even though finals are done you have to be here." movie was Remember the Titans. I loving hate that movie. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's a bunch of sappy middlebrow neo-liberal garbage that pays lip service to the evils of racism but in a safe non-threatening way so white people won't feel bad. That typical, "The 50s/60s were bad but it's okay now. And it's just generally a cliched piece of poo poo movie. And everyone LOVED it. I remember one day the teacher of my TV production class was out so he had a box of movies and among others it was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?

So we did a show of hands thing and almost everyone was hyped about watching Remember the Titans again. I swear to god the school must have got some kind of overstock from a video distributor that was just eight boxes of Remember the Titans. I hate Remember the Titans.

I hate it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 7, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Strange, my school’s go-to movies were ‘Antichrist’ and ‘Requiem for a Dream’ :shrug:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

When I was in high school the go-to movie for "The teacher is out today/It's the end of the year and even though finals are done you have to be here." movie was Remember the Titans. I loving hate that movie. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's a bunch of sappy middlebrow neo-literal garbage that pays lip service to the evils of racism but in a safe non-threatening way so white people won't feel bad. That typical, "The 50s/60s were bad but it's okay now. And it's just generally a cliched piece of poo poo movie. And everyone LOVED it. I remember one day the teacher of my TV production class was out so he had a box of movies and among others it was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?

So we did a show of hands thing and almost everyone was hyped about watching Remember the Titans again. I swear to god the school must have got some kind of overstock from a video distributor that was just eight boxes of Remember the Titans. I hate Remember the Titans.

I hate it.

This MF said neo-literal

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Remember that scene where LEFT SIDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWtpFqKD-o

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

My best friend just picked this up with his stimulus check and we're gonna party the gently caress down with it two weeks after our second shot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

This MF said neo-literal

I fixed it, ya jerk.

dorium posted:

Remember that scene where LEFT SIDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWtpFqKD-o

:frogout:

caligulamprey posted:

My best friend just picked this up with his stimulus check and we're gonna party the gently caress down with it two weeks after our second shot.

So you're each getting a Weird Al accordion boxset?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 7, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

So you're each getting a Weird Al accordion boxset?
I'll be using mine on the Rob Crow box set. :rock:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I'll be using mine on the Rob Crow box set. :rock:

Buy a shitload of copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights instead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CPL593H posted:

When I was in high school the go-to movie for "The teacher is out today/It's the end of the year and even though finals are done you have to be here." movie was Remember the Titans. I loving hate that movie. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's a bunch of sappy middlebrow neo-liberal garbage that pays lip service to the evils of racism but in a safe non-threatening way so white people won't feel bad. That typical, "The 50s/60s were bad but it's okay now. And it's just generally a cliched piece of poo poo movie. And everyone LOVED it. I remember one day the teacher of my TV production class was out so he had a box of movies and among others it was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?

I hate it.

I feel like I should apologise for never having seen Remember the Titans.

Here in merry little New Zealand, the go-to movie for the visual text assessments in high schools seems to be The Shawshank Redemption.

In the past, I, and other colleagues have gone with:

There Will Be Blood - focusing on the oil/greed symbolism
Warrior - I got good results getting a low ability class to draw connections between Tommy and Captain Ahab, and the parallels between the final confrontation with the whale and the final fight at the tournament
On The Basis of Sex - this was at a girls' school, and they really enjoyed it
Okja
Mad Max: Fury Road
No Country For Old Men - the Head of Faculty at my previous school themed her entire year around "the world sucks"
In My Father's Den
Heavenly Creatures

The only film that has been definitively struck off the list is American Beauty.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vagabundo posted:

I feel like I should apologise for never having seen Remember the Titans.

Here in merry little New Zealand, the go-to movie for the visual text assessments in high schools seems to be The Shawshank Redemption.

In the past, I, and other colleagues have gone with:

There Will Be Blood - focusing on the oil/greed symbolism
Warrior - I got good results getting a low ability class to draw connections between Tommy and Captain Ahab, and the parallels between the final confrontation with the whale and the final fight at the tournament
On The Basis of Sex - this was at a girls' school, and they really enjoyed it
Okja
Mad Max: Fury Road
No Country For Old Men - the Head of Faculty at my previous school themed her entire year around "the world sucks"
In My Father's Den
Heavenly Creatures

The only film that has been definitively struck off the list is American Beauty.

Shawshank was the go-to when I was in high school over here in Aus, but now at my school the Year 12 English class is looking at Schindler's Ark, so I'm thinking they might have swapped to Schindler's List for that one.

I'm teaching a year 9 (14y/o) Media course that covers documentary and after going through the basic media language stuff I gave them a choice between Super Size Me (the standard) and Grizzly Man, and they chose Grizzly Man and it was fantastic. I don't have senior film, only senior practical media arts, but if I do I'm gonna try my damndest to cram in more Herzog wherever I can

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

caligulamprey posted:

good luck with the zero pussy getting disease vaccine

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I, Butthole posted:

Shawshank was the go-to when I was in high school over here in Aus, but now at my school the Year 12 English class is looking at Schindler's Ark, so I'm thinking they might have swapped to Schindler's List for that one.

I'm teaching a year 9 (14y/o) Media course that covers documentary and after going through the basic media language stuff I gave them a choice between Super Size Me (the standard) and Grizzly Man, and they chose Grizzly Man and it was fantastic. I don't have senior film, only senior practical media arts, but if I do I'm gonna try my damndest to cram in more Herzog wherever I can

I feel like you should go with Documentary Now! Why watch Grey Gardens when you can watch their all too accurate take on Grey Gardens.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dorium posted:

Saw that one in the theater with my parents then ended up going to the (unnamed in the movie) college they guy went to. And the guy spoke at my graduation. Was neat! Anyway, I like that movie.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

John Romero posted:

good luck with the zero pussy getting disease vaccine
Buddy, if we're making a list of why I'm not getting laid, an appreciation for Weird Al doesn't even crack the top 20.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If you go home with someone and they don't have any Weird Al albums, don't gently caress them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mark me down in the "I loving hate Remember the Titans" camp. My scenario is very similar to CPL593H's. Somehow it ended up being the go-to classroom movie. I saw it once on my own and hated it, then at least 2 more times involuntarily and I gained a real disdain for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

If you go home with someone and they don't have any Weird Al albums, don't gently caress them.

I don't have any Weird Al albums, but I do have UHF on VHS, DVD and blu ray and a Weird Al photo book. Does that count?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I don't want to date a dork. I am a dork! I want to date a real human being. I can bring Weird Al to the table and they can bring... well, pretty much everything else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
UHF on Blu Ray is the only Weird Al that I own :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Mark me down in the "I loving hate Remember the Titans" camp. My scenario is very similar to CPL593H's. Somehow it ended up being the go-to classroom movie. I saw it once on my own and hated it, then at least 2 more times involuntarily and I gained a real disdain for it.

Speaking of classroom movies, I wonder what movies teachers these days put on for their "gently caress it" days. Probably a lot of MCU.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't have any Weird Al albums, but I do have UHF on VHS, DVD and blu ray and a Weird Al photo book. Does that count?

Everyone should at least own a copy of Running With Scissors that's pretty scratched up, in a CD binder with the CD case buried on a shelf somewhere else.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Everyone should at least own a copy of Running With Scissors that's pretty scratched up, in a CD binder with the CD case buried on a shelf somewhere else.

This is so specific I looked behind my shoulder to make sure you weren't behind me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of classroom movies, I wonder what movies teachers these days put on for their "gently caress it" days. Probably a lot of MCU.

If I were a teacher I'd force my class to watch Young Indiana Jones followed by the very dry documentaries on the DVDs about the subject matter therein :unsmigghh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, I did have at one point. Not a CD binder in my vehicle, I don't think I ever even listened to it on the road, just in a binder buried under some clothes in my room, and the CD case was in a drawer somewhere.

Most of my Weird Al collection was on cassette, and the collection had a carrying case all to itself. Sadly I sold the whole thing in a yard sale.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

If I were a teacher I'd force my class to watch Young Indiana Jones followed by the very dry documentaries on the DVDs about the subject matter therein :unsmigghh:

Goddamn I miss the dry documentary style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Outside of stuff that was deemed to be part of the curriculum(and for that we needed permission slips signed by our parents), teachers were limited to stuff that was rated PG. So that's why something like Remember the Titans or Mr. Holland's Opus or Miracle On Ice ended up being the go-to choices.

Of course, as soon as a movie was considered to be good enough that it could be called "educational", all the sudden we're watching soldiers get blown apart with their intestines hanging out and graphic depictions of the Holocaust, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Goddamn I miss the dry documentary style.

YouTube has your back, my friend. Tons and tons of bone-dry documentary content out there on everything from video games and dinosaurs to Greek mythology and art restoration.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Outside of stuff that was deemed to be part of the curriculum(and for that we needed permission slips signed by our parents), teachers were limited to stuff that was rated PG. So that's why something like Remember the Titans or Mr. Holland's Opus or Miracle On Ice ended up being the go-to choices.

Of course, as soon as a movie was considered to be good enough that it could be called "educational", all the sudden we're watching soldiers get blown apart with their intestines hanging out and graphic depictions of the Holocaust, etc.

I had a Chemistry teacher that recoded some video she wanted us to watch over Top Gun, so we ended up watching Top Gun the rest of the class because why not?

I really don't remember what the first part of the video was about.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't know why, but that movie collection video depresses me.

If I was "never have to worry about anything ever again" rich I'd definitely make a big rear end media room, so I can't be too harsh, but for as big as it is, it just seems so boring.

Why do you need 12 copies of Braveheart? Or four copies of Napoleon Dynamite? It's just so much junk, and if you removed all the doubles, I feel like you'd fill maybe one side of one of the aisles.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I had more money and space I'd definitely recreate a video store vibe with my collection in a spare room.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's the same feeling I get when I see any huge "I buy everything" type of collection. It doesn't reflect personal taste. It's not interesting. It's lifeless. The only impressive thing is the amount of money spent. I might as well be looking at the movie section of Best Buy (circa 2002).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I had infinite money I'd buy every movie and burn every physical case and their slipcovers, then make a giant Blu-ray jukebox so I could have the highest-quality entertainment at my fingertips and not have to look at decorative xenomorph or terminator skulls.

But failing that... yeah, a 90s video store aesthetic could be neat in a tacky "fake mall inside Barbara Streisand's basement" kind if way.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I don't know why, but that movie collection video depresses me.

If I was "never have to worry about anything ever again" rich I'd definitely make a big rear end media room, so I can't be too harsh, but for as big as it is, it just seems so boring.

Why do you need 12 copies of Braveheart? Or four copies of Napoleon Dynamite? It's just so much junk, and if you removed all the doubles, I feel like you'd fill maybe one side of one of the aisles.

It's because that guy is clearly trying to buy a personality. If he stops buying absolutely everything Best Buy puts on the New Releases shelf, he'll cease to exist.

One of the only benefits of private school was having a teacher who would show Under Siege when he didn't have a lesson plan for the day. His unit on the perils of drug abuse meant watching Clean and Sober and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

A fake video store leading into a relaxing "viewing room" would be the way to go.

I guess it didn't help that the guy leads off with some more interesting stuff and then goes into the most mediocre crap imaginable.

"Here's my Arrow section. I don't know, I don't have a ton... Now here's the crown jewel of my collection: 58 copies of The Matrix INCLUDING this German version which comes with a model of the Blue Pill. Only 15 of these exist in the world and it came with a black Steelbook that says "Der Matrix" in neon green Comic Sans."

Part of me thinks this guy goes down there every night and then just watches The Office on netflix or something.