Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TorpedoFish posted:

Love when the bad guy in stories about spree murderers is the US court system.

Add rape victims to the list:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/30/us/minnesota-rape-conviction-overturned/index.html

"Oh wait, you decided to get drunk and then got raped? Well, that's on you then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
New Fascinating Horror upload:

Fascinating Horror - The Amity Bay Shark Attacks

:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This is a short video about the horrific Byford Dolphin accident. Goes into gruesome detail but doesn't show anything. Saturation diving, no thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP01rZDQaB4

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Lives of Others

Two men born in a small Newfoundland hospital find out they were switched soon after birth.

It wasn't the only time it happened. Not in Newfoundland and not at this small hospital.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That has to happen all the time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The mixed up brothers of Bogota

quote:

After a hospital error, two pairs of Colombian identical twins were raised as two pairs of fraternal twins. This is the story of how they found one another — and of what happened next.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Random question: Has anyone else ever come across some true crime document so loving awful that you don't even want to mention what it is because you don't want other people looking it up and subjecting themselves to that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Random question: Has anyone else ever come across some true crime document so loving awful that you don't even want to mention what it is because you don't want other people looking it up and subjecting themselves to that?

Yeah and it's something Last Podcast on the Left wouldn't mention in their episode of the person. That they'll make bad taste jokes about pretty much anything gives an idea of how bad it was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah and it's something Last Podcast on the Left wouldn't mention in their episode of the person. That they'll make bad taste jokes about pretty much anything gives an idea of how bad it was.
If It's the one I'm thinking of I looked it up after Marcus said he wouldn't mention it, It was pretty bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sucrose posted:

I think it was sword and shield that was like that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it the transcript of the child killer talking about how different the fantasy was to reality? Because that and the drawing of the screaming child they found during the Oakland County Child Killings are the two things I wish I could scrub from my brain.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
No, it was a transcript of an audio tape, of which thankfully the actual recording of has never been leaked to the internet. Only thing I can ever remember reading and just immediately going to pound down shots.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
so y'all gonna link them or

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sucrose posted:

No, it was a transcript of an audio tape, of which thankfully the actual recording of has never been leaked to the internet. Only thing I can ever remember reading and just immediately going to pound down shots.

Was this the one where he tricked the girl into his apartment?

That above post was bait!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is it the transcript of the child killer talking about how different the fantasy was to reality? Because that and the drawing of the screaming child they found during the Oakland County Child Killings are the two things I wish I could scrub from my brain.

That's not the one I was talking about. It's not a transcript but a description of a crime so it's the crime itself I wouldn't want other people having in their brains. I came across it in one of those bargain books like the 100 most or 10 most evil people ever and I'd never heard of the perpetrator and certainly didn't seek out the info. It was like watching a regular documentary that suddenly had chechlear in it with no warning.

Another one that came to mind that I wouldn't read is the transcript of the audio tape from the Toolbox Killers. They play the audio tape to desensitize FBI agents and you can hear one of the victims' screams in a documentary clip on YouTube as people run out of the courtroom because it was so overwhelming. I think it's worse than the (absolutely nightmarish) transcript people are talking about because it's from the audio tape of the act rather than a recounting of it. I think the prosecutor said he had nightmares where he'd be just too late to save the victim and I definitely was overwhelmed thinking how alone she was.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Apr 6, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sucrose posted:

Oh, yeah. Not giving any more details than that.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Sucrose posted:

tl;dr: Yes, but I knew the victim.

Long and rambly introspective answer no one asked for but I think we're all morbid ghouls in this thread so...: I was into true crime long before its current popularity and at a disturbingly early age (like, late elementary school probably), back in the 90s when true crime was just a shelf or two next to the mystery section at Barnes & Noble. Absolutely none of it ever scared me or bothered me or caused me nightmares or anything. It may well be very hosed up but I think I mentally slot it in next to "horror" -- that is, it's a degree detached from reality. And I think that's what drives a lot of true crime "fans" -- it's in some ways more...thrilling, maybe, because it's true, but it's also consumed in the form of entertainment. I can go seamlessly from a horror fiction podcast to a true crime podcast, or a true crime documentary on Netflix to some dumb science fiction series, and my brain can clump it all into "media, entertainment type" without too much work. A coworker's partner going missing would be horrifying; watching a documentary about someone else's coworker's partner going missing is thrilling in the same way a good horror story is.

A few years ago, I was at work on day and a friend Sam blew up my phone with "call me" texts, and when I called her she said that our mutual friend Jane was dead. Trying to keep this vague and tweaking some details for anonymity, but the three of us had previously worked together. I had drifted a bit out of touch with Jane since leaving that job, but she and Sam were extremely close. In that moment what we knew was that someone known to Jane had come to her house the previous night and killed her. Over the next few days we found out, from Jane's family, that a firearm had been used, there were surviving witnesses, the police knew who had done it. A day later we found out they had the perpetrator in custody.

There was all sorts of legal stuff that had to happen, and it took a lot longer than I expected it would. Despite the overwhelming evidence, the perpetrator initially pled not guilty. Jane's family hired a PI to do their own investigation to try and increase the chances of a conviction. They gave the PI consent to share information with Sam and I, and the PI interviewed us both, because it was possible we had met the perpetrator (I had not). At some point in this process, I for some reason asked if I could see certain original documents, such as the initial police report and 911 call transcript.

It turns out (unsurprisingly, if you have the slightest loving shred of insight or emotional intelligence, unlike me apparently) that that division between "entertaining horror" and "actual truly loving horrifying and will literally haunt your dreams" disappears entirely when you know someone involved. The particulars of what happened were much, much worse than I had imagined. Initially, while reading things, it felt entirely unreal, like some sort of poorly-written fiction. Then it began to sink in. I told Sam that there were such documents available, but she should absolutely under no circumstances look at them -- there was no way her seeing them would help with anything, and it was not something she needed to deal with.

After months, every day of which sucked, the perpetrator did change his plea in exchange for taking the death penalty off the table and is now serving life. Some months after that he tried to change his plea again back to not guilty, and the judge basically told him to gently caress off.

And yet, somehow...I'm still ghoulishly into true crime poo poo. That mental division between "actual, real bad stuff" and "this is real but somehow not to me" still exists. Am I a psychopath? Maybe! I don't think so, though -- I think I'm probably just a deeply warped product of the modern age.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's not odd at all. A familiarity with someone or something always makes news more personal.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Plus like... you knew Jane. When you were reading the details it wasn't some hypothetical and your brain couldn't slot it into 'one step more intense than reading something fictional'. It's normal and healthy for brains to compartmentalize emotional reactions like that so we're not just constantly overwhelmed with grief and horror at the sheer amount of bad things that happen and have happened in the world. And no matter how much good or even just neutral stuff happens in the world, bad stuff will also happen, and always have had happened, and part of being a well-rounded, educated human being is learning about some of the bad stuff that's happened and identifying it as bad, which is hard to do if it's always the mental version of touching your hand to a hot stove.

But all that healthy compartmentalization gets a lot harder when you knew the person, much less knew and liked, much less knew, liked, and considered a friend. I'm sorry you read that stuff, and I'm sorry that such a horrible thing happened to your friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it makes sense when it's someone you know. But I find the older I get the harder it gets reading true crime stuff. I get overwhelmed thinking about the victim or victims and what their life was like up until that moment and what they were thinking when they were killed and how alone they were. It's upsetting when you think about how they had a life and friends and loved ones and hopes and dreams just like any of us and now they're forever a name attached to a horrible person. When I was younger I was much more detached and like TorpedoFish said it was more like reading fictional stories. Not really sure what changed I've always been an empathic person but there certainly was a shift with me mentally and emotionally when it comes to this stuff or say reading about disasters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anecdotally I think that happens to a lot of people as they get older.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's probably because your brain is maturing and you have more life experiences to draw on, so there's more of a chance that you've experienced something similar. I'm just guessing here though.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's not odd at all. A familiarity with someone or something always makes news more personal.
As Mel Brooks once said “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die”
Being connected makes it more real and no longer abstract.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Station nightclub fire audio is pretty loving awful.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My dad was really close friends with a guy who was convicted of killing 3 women. There's a picture of me with this guy as a toddler in an album at my grandma's and it's a little weird to think about. I also worked with someone who was the killer and my dad's juvenile parole social worker in the 80s.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I have a lot more trouble enjoying true crime stuff nowadays because I just can’t read it without a sizable voice in the back of my head yelling that there’s no way for me to know how badly ACAB is involved. Realizing that the American justice system is a goddamn travesty put a damper on stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My dad was really close friends with a guy who was convicted of killing 3 women. There's a picture of me with this guy as a toddler in an album at my grandma's and it's a little weird to think about. I also worked with someone who was the killer and my dad's juvenile parole social worker in the 80s.

I've been friends or acquaintances with three different murderers over my life. One of which was a really good friend (he's also the only one still alive). I didn't realize how messed up that was until I moved away from everything and mentioned it in passing to a new group of people. I just kinda figured everyone knew at least one murderer.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

My most recent ex drowned her infant in the bathtub because jesus told her to do so. The cops found her running around naked in the cul-de-sac in the snow. She spent a year in jail, not prision, county jail. And then probation, Think she mixed anti psychotic meds or bi-polar med with alcohol.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My uncle accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun when they were kids because he didn't realize the gun was loaded. He then went on to build a house for Linda Hamilton decades later, something something Terminator

e: I inherited my deceased uncle's name, and consequently am now the teller of the tale.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Applesnots posted:

My most recent ex drowned her infant in the bathtub because jesus told her to do so. The cops found her running around naked in the cul-de-sac in the snow. She spent a year in jail, not prision, county jail. And then probation, Think she mixed anti psychotic meds or bi-polar med with alcohol.
Ooof, that's sad. That's something where the 'punishment' is effectively living with the fact that you did that, even if you did that during a break from reality and weren't thinking properly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applesnots posted:

Dear lord. That's terrible.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

china bot posted:

My uncle accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun when they were kids because he didn't realize the gun was loaded. He then went on to build a house for Linda Hamilton decades later, something something Terminator

e: I inherited my deceased uncle's name, and consequently am now the teller of the tale.

Minus the Linda Hamilton thing, same story with my uncle!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

xtal posted:

Minus the Linda Hamilton thing, same story with my uncle!

:(:hf::(

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I avoided it but one of my cousins is named after my aunt who drowned in bathtub. My mom's bio-dad put her and her sister in the tub and then left them there while he went to go drink. When he came back go check on them my aunt had drowned and my mom wasn't doing well. He and my grandma divorced a few months later because there's no real coming back from that.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My dad worked (HVAC stuff) across the street from the woods where they arrested/caught https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadden_Clark.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

dovetaile posted:

My dad worked (HVAC stuff) across the street from the woods where they arrested/caught https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadden_Clark.

gently caress that's gotta be a hell of a thing to know. Was he working at the time?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I used to work as the receiving manager at a store and one of our delivery drivers murdered his girlfriend. He'd chased her into the her daughter's room while the daughter was on webcam with a friend so the friend saw the whole murder go down (stabbed her on the bed). So now I know the whole "nicest guy could've never imagined him doing something like this" feeling first hand.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress that's gotta be a hell of a thing to know. Was he working at the time?

He was. He was out on a job site near the woods.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have a cousin I was close with who murdered someone i knew when I was very young and learning the details of it later in life made me reconsider the death penalty because he loving deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

china bot posted:

My uncle accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun when they were kids because he didn't realize the gun was loaded.

The emeritus king of Spain (father of the current one) did the same to his younger brother, although a pistol was involved in this case. He was in military academy (so 17 or so) and the brother was 14. Story probably belongs in this thread tbh.

It has never been cleared what exactly happened, in part because it was 1957, the king was to be Franco's designated sucessor and a killing accusation would have put a bit of a wrench to that. What is known is, Juan Carlos (the king-to-be) came back on a leave from academia to the villa the family lived in while exiled, and the brothers were together in a closed room. They had a small revolver they owned and had been confiscated by their mother, but for some reason it was given back to them that day. The gun was fired and the younger brother was struck in the head. When the family came the kid was dying, and he died later that day.

What really happened is murky. The official version said the dead kid was cleaning the weapon which then discharged accidentally and hit him. Juan Carlos himself apparently privately admitted to discharging the weapon he presumed uncharged; the bullet ricocheted from a wall and hit the brother in the head. Other sources point to an accidental shove from a door opening as the cause the bullet was fired.

Juan Carlos was ordered by his father to swear he did not have anything to do with the death of his brother, the story was all pinned on the dead brother and silenced as well as they could, and the surviving one went on to be King for around thirty years or so. The End.