Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

That was even better than the title eluded to. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
There's a downhill trail up in Inwood and even a smaller dirt track full of rollers nearby.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGameVet posted:

I briefly had a Follis 672 later on as a Teen. It came with Huret Jubille stuff and I swapped out that for full C-Record, which I got at a discount because I was working at Brands Bicycles in Wantaugh.

i know C-Record is classic but I think Jubilee is the most beautiful group ever made, apart from maybe Suntour Cyclone

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I Am Not Spor posted:

Yeah, generally tried to avoid going down BoFax; normally went up 7 sisters and down Pantoll descent into Mill Valley. Moved to Philly recently, so I don't get that stuff anymore. Attempted an A ride the week after I moved here and got dropped hella early cause rollers basically don't exist in CA.

hah I lived in Baltimore for years when I got into cycling and yeah it's just hill after hill, short uphill short downhill, repeat

long climbing ability could probably be translated into handling rollers with some work

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks to everyone who tried to tell me to use some common sense and just pay to get my other bike shipped to me. I listened to your advice, and in true Goon fashion, completely ignored it.

I need to get some new spd pedals and shoes but the shop didn't have my size. So I will work on that later. The important thing is I now have a bike here in Minnesota.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 7, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Hekk posted:

Thanks to everyone who tried to tell me to use some common sense and just pay to get my other bike shipped to me. I listened to your advice, and in true Goon fashion, completely ignored it.

I need to get some new spd pedals and shoes but the shop didn't have my size. So I will work on that later. The important thing is I now have a bike here in Minnesota.

Woah, you didn't mention it was rose gold.

:fap:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hekk posted:

Gorgeous bike. All city has the best paint. Enjoy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Time to start biking everywhere in frayed jorts and a v neck with a cig hanging from your mouth.

In all seriousness tho that bike is awesome.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
that paint is sick (you should still get your other bike shipped to you)

breaks
May 12, 2001

My favorite All City color scheme is that cream and brown rainbow one they did. Pics don't do it justice, there's a couple people riding those around here and every time I see it I wish they'd bring it back. Upscale Surly is still doing a lot of good ones though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My dad said he wanted to get a gravel bike and I found him a purple fade cosmic stallion

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2021

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not sure where exactly, but I was going south through Greenwhich Village.

Hell yes.

I’ve dicked around on the trails in prospect park a couple times, which has already improved my skills on asphalt. Like I rode down stairs for the first time the other day, which has scared since i was a kid :blastu:

40°40'00.5"N 73°57'55.7"W
https://goo.gl/maps/jwfT1xWQVWLvjMQF7

There’s also this trail in prospect park that runs along Flatbush, you can find it by entering through the grand army plaza entrance and just kept going left (when you’re heading south into the park) until you’re off the sidewalk. The link is for the end of the trail where there’s a bunch of jumps and poo poo if you get really ambitious. The trail is short but easy to lap.

And seconding Cunningham park. I spent many summer Friday’s riding the F to Jamaica and mobbing the trails all day.

Edit: all city makes the best paint jobs goddamn

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

jamal posted:

My dad said he wanted to get a gravel bike and I found him a purple fade cosmic stallion

Beautiful fade in the color, oh my!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

kimbo305 posted:

Fully assembled, so not even the bars are rotated?

Yup, this thing was awkwardly wrapped in cardboard and bin liners like a rubbish attempt at wrapping a 6 year old's bike for Christmas

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

BeastPussy posted:

that paint is sick (you should still get your other bike shipped to you)

A lot of the paint schemes for All Cities are amazing. Two of my coworkers are in the process of building up bikes I'm extremely jealous. The Zig Zag 105 frame is even prettier in person. The tri color Nature Cross is a lot less popsicle a lot more extremely colourful salmon, but still p cool.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just spent several evenings trying to get some latest model 'easy fit' tubeless tyres to fit on some new 'easy fit' rims (and lo! that part was indeed easy) and then just losing my poo poo at the bead not engaging no matter what combination of precharge bottles/soapy rims/other witchcraft I tried. As a last resort before taking them to a shop I tried again with some older model 'absolute bastard to fit go gently caress yourself' tyres I had spare from a couple of years ago and wouldn't you know it they popped on first try. Needed a bead jack to get them on the rim initially but way WAY easier than last time I tried them.

The moral of the story? Combine too many 'easy fit' components and you end up with 'just won't loving work' components. Those earlier tubeless tyres are bastards to get on the rim for a reason.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Levitate posted:

hah I lived in Baltimore for years when I got into cycling and yeah it's just hill after hill, short uphill short downhill, repeat

long climbing ability could probably be translated into handling rollers with some work

Yeah, it's a work in progress. Hoping I don't lose my actual climbing ability if/when we move back west.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Vando posted:

Just spent several evenings trying to get some latest model 'easy fit' tubeless tyres to fit on some new 'easy fit' rims (and lo! that part was indeed easy) and then just losing my poo poo at the bead not engaging no matter what combination of precharge bottles/soapy rims/other witchcraft I tried. As a last resort before taking them to a shop I tried again with some older model 'absolute bastard to fit go gently caress yourself' tyres I had spare from a couple of years ago and wouldn't you know it they popped on first try. Needed a bead jack to get them on the rim initially but way WAY easier than last time I tried them.

The moral of the story? Combine too many 'easy fit' components and you end up with 'just won't loving work' components. Those earlier tubeless tyres are bastards to get on the rim for a reason.

As annoying as is it to pretty much do twice the work, I've always had success with installing a tube first and then breaking one bead. This was even with a regular floor pump.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

PolishPandaBear posted:

As annoying as is it to pretty much do twice the work, I've always had success with installing a tube first and then breaking one bead. This was even with a regular floor pump.

I can't visualise how this works, how are you getting the tube out/valve in?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

This and soapy water always works for me.

Vando posted:

I can't visualise how this works, how are you getting the tube out/valve in?
Break the bead on one side and remove the tube. Insert tubeless valve, reseat bead. Now you're only trying to get one bead seated instead of two. Once it's seated, remove the valve core and insert your goo of choice.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Break the bead on one side and remove the tube. Insert tubeless valve, reseat bead. Now you're only trying to get one bead seated instead of two. Once it's seated, remove the valve core and insert your goo of choice.

Yep.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'll give it a shot next time I'm having issues, I think in my head it just seems like getting the valve in would be a real bear of a task.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

Mate just take out the valve core and hit that sumbitch with a compressor until the bead snaps in place

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jamal posted:

that is a nice color, the All City Cosmic Stallion is on my short list for my next bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Asked this in the wrong thread, but now it's relevant:

kimbo305 posted:

What causes sealant to stay so liquid inside the tire but to dry off when escaping through cuts? Is it humidity? Does it form a skin that redissolves as long as there's some agitation?

For sealed cuts/punctures, is the latex drying within minutes, or is it just that the fissure is plugged up by the various particles in the sealant and blocking further liquid getting pushed through?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Mate just take out the valve core and hit that sumbitch with a compressor until the bead snaps in place

Yeah that was the backup plan, don't have a compressor myself though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

Asked this in the wrong thread, but now it's relevant:

Air can only hold so much moisture, and the air in the tire isn’t getting changed out (other than when you add more air to the tire) so it gets saturated and can’t take on any more moisture, so the sealant stays liquid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah, i just bought a little portable compressor for this, $80 and they seat the first time every time. I can use the compressor for other stuff too.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Apparently the little portable Ridgid I bought is $140 now, what the hell

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Vando posted:

I'll give it a shot next time I'm having issues, I think in my head it just seems like getting the valve in would be a real bear of a task.

If you can get a much larger tube+valve out then putting just a valve back in is much easier

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have this little guy and it works great.

California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYHYHEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NRPTFHJMK4458FQ29XBD

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

168.34 miles in four days. loving thread title.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

If you can get a much larger tube+valve out then putting just a valve back in is much easier

Yeah I was grouping it all under one task for brevity.

Also: compressors are cool and all but I'm not one of those nerds who pays 100 bucks for a tool I'll use a couple of times a year max. I spend enough on random bike poo poo as it is.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I am part of the compressor cree but before I switched I got pretty good at half seating beads with a tire lever, you can get it just right where you're kind of pulling the bead over to the outside of the time but instead of getting the tire off it seats into the bead on that side but this only works halfway around the tire. So with no tube trick you can get half of each side on, with the tube you can get one side all on and one side half on, with a compressor you just throw a tire on there and start blasting.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Bottom brackets. Are high end rackets worth the incremental cost?

My Easton BB on my gravel bike is toast. Easton is sold out of replacements but I’m not sure I’d go that direction again given how quickly this one failed: just over 5,000km and it now requires two hands to back pedal when mounted on my stand...I’m in the PNW so we get a good amount of water obviously, which may account for the short life.

I’m looking at Wheels MFG or perhaps even Chris King as replacement options. Is Chris King worth the extra cost in terms of longevity/performance? What of the ceramic bearings they offer?

This is for a 30mm spindle, BSA 68mm of folks have other suggestions that I have missed.

mexecan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vando posted:

Also: compressors are cool and all but I'm not one of those nerds who pays 100 bucks for a tool I'll use a couple of times a year max. I spend enough on random bike poo poo as it is.

A little portable compressor is handy for household stuff though, makes painting rooms a lot faster.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Vando posted:

yeah but air tools, inflating car tires, etc.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mexecan posted:

Bottom brackets. Are high end rackets worth the incremental cost?

My Easton BB on my gravel bike is toast. Easton is sold out of replacements but I’m not sure I’d go that direction again given how quickly this one failed: just over 5,000km and it now requires two ends to back pedal when mounted on my stand...I’m in the PNW so we get a good amount of water obviously, which may account for the short life.

I’m looking at Wheels MFG or perhaps even Chris King as replacement options. Is Chris King worth the extra cost in terms of longevity/performance? What of the ceramic bearings they offer?

This is for a 30mm spindle, BSA 68mm of folks have other suggestions that I have missed.

anecdotally I have a CK bottom bracket and it's still smooth and tight after 7500 miles. I had it serviced (they just squeeze some new grease in and it flushes out the old grease) just for the hell of it but I don't think it even needed that done. The downside is that the grease gun is apparently specific to their stuff so you either have to buy an expensive grease gun to do it yourself or have a shop do it
I don't ride in the wet a ton though, it's more just "damp" here except when we get some rain in the winter.
I tend to think ceramic bearings aren't worth the extra cost

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Levitate posted:

anecdotally I have a CK bottom bracket and it's still smooth and tight after 7500 miles. I had it serviced (they just squeeze some new grease in and it flushes out the old grease) just for the hell of it but I don't think it even needed that done. The downside is that the grease gun is apparently specific to their stuff so you either have to buy an expensive grease gun to do it yourself or have a shop do it
I don't ride in the wet a ton though, it's more just "damp" here except when we get some rain in the winter.
I tend to think ceramic bearings aren't worth the extra cost

Brad Copeland talks about what he does to get world MTB cup winner Kate Courtney's bike's bb to run like butter: https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-repair/mtb-lube-theory-what-oil-or-grease-goes-where-we-asked-a-world-cup-mechanic/

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Holy poo poo the way you nerds are so into compressors they should rename this website Something Airful