Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm gonna bet C) Drawing this plant guy is real hard for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sunday was Easter, so he may have been busy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

TheHan posted:

I'm gonna bet C) Drawing this plant guy is real hard for him.

And will be until he has completed the four or five pictures he needs to establish a base from which he can just trace all future appearances.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i like how terraciano doesn't want to draw three characters in one panel, so his comic loses object permanence and the plant person just vanishes from view entirely after the two new characters were established as standing next to each other

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
is this lando calrissian

is this the only black character mookie can understand

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

FlocksOfMice posted:

is this lando calrissian

is this the only black character mookie can understand

The closest he has ever come to a black person.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Thelonius?

Really?

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Yeah, it immediately conjured Thelonious Monk to mind. I'm sure Mookie thinks it's very clever and obscure.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Stahlgeist posted:

Yeah, it immediately conjured Thelonious Monk to mind. I'm sure Mookie thinks it's very clever and obscure.

'Thelonius Marsh' manages to very literally just be a butchered 'Thelonious Monk' and that's terrible. Also, do you think this character has anything to do with said jazz musician other than being black? Because, so far, he does not.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I still feel like the "Scholar, Illusionist, Handsome Man" thing is a ripoff of something but hell if I know what.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still feel like the "Scholar, Illusionist, Handsome Man" thing is a ripoff of something but hell if I know what.

That he thinks black men are vain?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Snout was so amazed the guy took his card and flipped it around that he dropped his book

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Billy Gnosis posted:

That he thinks black men are vain?

No, no. I think he's more unoriginal than racist here. Isn't it something from those supernatural detective story books? Dresden something-or-other?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So not only is Plant Guy's method of communicating completely impractical outside of this specific scenario, it's also yet another way Mookie has cooked up to get around "no dialogue".

And then someone he's never seen before just loving flicks his ear? Who does that? Could it be more obviously telegraphed that we're not supposed to like this guy?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

If someone hands you part of himself, why would your first reaction be to eat it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

If someone hands you part of himself, why would your first reaction be to eat it?

Yeah seriously what the gently caress? At least put a second panel where the plant guy is motioning for him to eat it.

I know we've all said it a million times but my god Mookie sucks at portraying non-verbal communication.

Also the guy who looks like a sunflower is named Sunflower. Incredible creativity.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 7, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh noooo, Snout doesn't have his DEAF tag on, so now this big ol' meanie is being insensitive by flicking him on the ear you guuuuuuys.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yeah. For all we know, that could've been plant guy's boogers or sap made out of his pollen or anything gross.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Or it could have been a token he wasn't meant to eat. Or heaven forbid a seed baby.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"Sunflower" seems like a name from an action figure line, where the plan was only to have one character with a sunflower head when the toy series was designed.

If there are other sunflower-like plant people in the setting, and what their names might be, is a problem for the writers of the comic book/animated series/movie to deal with in the future.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maltesh posted:

"Sunflower" seems like a name from an action figure line, where the plan was only to have one character with a sunflower head when the toy series was designed.

If there are other sunflower-like plant people in the setting, and what their names might be, is a problem for the writers of the comic book/animated series/movie to deal with in the future.

This reminds me that Mookie still hasn't even given the Ink Witch a name yet.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Does any woman in this comic have a name except, charitably, Luna?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nope. Redactor is closest.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The orkling chef does.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And then someone he's never seen before just loving flicks his ear? Who does that?

I'm almost certain this is an anime trope.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat finally a sex scene, Snout just devoured that dude's seed.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
The plant guy makes me want to direct people to look up the designer notes on the plant people in Guild Wars 2. Actual art design and consideration about what living plant people might look like!

Or, do like Mookie and just draw a static looking flower head on a dude and give him some sort of straw ponytail thing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mors Rattus posted:

Nope. Redactor is closest.

There's Bee, Arudak's maid. She's the only one with a name.

It's so annoying to drop "Ink Witches do not give out their names" to deflect, and then not think through why or how that works.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait.

Bee.

Plant people.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Dabir posted:

Wait.

Bee.

Plant people.

Mookie is going to pat himself on the back so hard

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maltesh posted:

It's so annoying to drop "Ink Witches do not give out their names" to deflect, and then not think through why or how that works.

Well you see, they don't have names, so they give each other nicknames. Which... Makes them just names.

And the ink witch's nickname is, uh... Ink witch.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A name snout intuited without prompting and it turns out that it's exactly the correct name for their entire organization.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

If the idea is that the plant people can't just talk normally and have to give a seed containing what they want to say (I guess is the idea?) to someone who eats it and then the information just flows into their brain how do they talk to multiple people at once or give public speeches and what do they do when they run out of seeds?

None of this matters, because none of these situations will come up, because Mookie doesn't care and only wanted a "clever" way to have Snout given information without the no dialog rule.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
So does each seed just have one word in it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if that seed just cured his deafness lmaooooo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't understand where y'all are getting the idea it cured Snout's deafness

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sunflower is a real inspired name, Mookie. Up there with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPuly_BqOw

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No, see, this is the origin story of Life of Boris, and we just saw Snout aka Boris be inducted into the life of a Slav as he ate his first sunflower seed. Next up is gonna be a scene where he makes Doctors Sausage.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Genuine question, since I'm kind of curious. I assume Snout is deaf from birth (although that could be wrong, who knows, it might never come up). Would someone who's been deaf their entire lives really even understand spoken language if they suddenly heard it? I'm just wondering if this is some form of telepathy, which is usually written as "voice speaking inside your head" but if he wouldn't understand spoken language this wouldn't work. And if it isn't telepathy then what exactly is happening, words just appear in front of their eyes or something?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Twelve by Pies posted:

Genuine question, since I'm kind of curious. I assume Snout is deaf from birth (although that could be wrong, who knows, it might never come up). Would someone who's been deaf their entire lives really even understand spoken language if they suddenly heard it? I'm just wondering if this is some form of telepathy, which is usually written as "voice speaking inside your head" but if he wouldn't understand spoken language this wouldn't work. And if it isn't telepathy then what exactly is happening, words just appear in front of their eyes or something?

Snout probably is deaf from birth, otherwise he would speak and have a deaf accent. Initially, if they saw a human mouth speaking it, they could probably make the connection between the sound and mouth movements if they already knew how to read and what shapes matched with what letters and sounds, but if they suddenly heard a single word outside of any specific context like on a tape or something, I don't think they'd immediately be able to identify it.

This is definitely way more thought than Mookie put into any of this, and I'm reasonably confident Sunflower is just using telepathy to communicate this idea which, as per standard D&D rules, can immediately move ideas from one mind to another as long as the recipient has a language, even if the sender does not share it. This also handily removes the language barrier, which this arc is inexplicably titled after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I think the thing is the seed (berry??) tastes exactly like the idea of the word Sunflower

why they need to be able to communicate like this other than talking to snout is beyond me but consider the entire world, as sparse and dead as it is, exists entirely for snout, so of course this entire race has a way of communicating that caters specifically to him

there is nothing outside of maltak right now, it is a white empty void, snout is the dying consciousness maintaining the dream of this dead world

why question the logic of a dying dream tbh