Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Nebraska???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Hoiberg transfer bag game remains strong.

https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/status/1379149263939248130?s=19

This is definitely not what I would do but it's very cool he's getting a shot. Hope they change up the offense a little and stop playing with two centers all the time

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

MourningView posted:

This is definitely not what I would do but it's very cool he's getting a shot. Hope they change up the offense a little and stop playing with two centers all the time

Always easier to hire someone who already knows where the bodies are buried.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Thoughts on Beard: meh

Apparently when he tried to bring Mark Adams, who is the X's and O's guy for the defense (the good part of Tech's team the last 4 years), they got into a shouting match and are now on bad, bad terms. Enjoy the motion, UT.

It sounds like the players are all campaigning for Adams to stay on as HC. It might not be the worst idea. The last time Tech was faced with a decision between a well loved coaching combo, they passed on Ruffin McNeil/Lincoln Riley

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like Kansas hired Travis Goff as it's next AD. He any good?

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/1379185150261616651

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

lmao

The guy responsible for by far the best stretch of basketball in school history is bad, actually

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is there a chance that Adams stays if Darvin Ham is hired as head coach?

Would like to see Tech basketball continue to do well, there's a good relationship between the UH and TTU athletic departments

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
https://twitter.com/briannnnf/status/1378553798411628545

I get that it takes far, far too much effort to box out every play, but Nembhard (#3) neither checking to see if his man is crashing the boards nor making a move to box out Juzanga is impressive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

They gonna mention the Alabama
Super Fan who caught Covid and died?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Looks like Kansas hired Travis Goff as it's next AD. He any good?

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/1379185150261616651

i'm sorry even i am not deranged enough to know who this guy is and what a Deputy AD does

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MourningView posted:

lmao

The guy responsible for by far the best stretch of basketball in school history is bad, actually

This seems like a pretty disingenuous reading of that post just to be a dick!

If I were a tech fan I'd be pretty "meh" feeling about Beard leaving: really sucks, but what ya gonna do? You're Texas Tech, this stuff is gonna happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TipTow posted:

This seems like a pretty disingenuous reading of that post just to be a dick!

If I were a tech fan I'd be pretty "meh" feeling about Beard leaving: really sucks, but what ya gonna do? You're Texas Tech, this stuff is gonna happen.

I mean if you continue to read the post it's about how actually the assistant who Tech just happened to make head coach was the guy who was really responsible for them being good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just realized this thread made it to the end of 2020-21 without ever updating the title.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just realized this thread made it to the end of 2020-21 without ever updating the title.

I mean just update the numbers, the rest of the title is evergreen.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MourningView posted:

I mean if you continue to read the post it's about how actually the assistant who Tech just happened to make head coach was the guy who was really responsible for them being good.

Yes, this definitely reads like someone who is saying the assistant was the brains all along and Beard had nothing to do with their success:

kayakyakr posted:

It sounds like the players are all campaigning for Adams to stay on as HC. It might not be the worst idea.

You know just as well as anyone that HCs can be good without being the genius behind various schemata.

I know being snippy is kinda your schtick but maybe try not defaulting to being an rear end in a top hat for a change? Especially over someone trying to come to terms with, as you said, "the guy responsible for by far the best stretch of basketball in school history" leaving?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TipTow posted:

Yes, this definitely reads like someone who is saying the assistant was the brains all along and Beard had nothing to do with their success:

You know just as well as anyone that HCs can be good without being the genius behind various schemata.

I know being snippy is kinda your schtick but maybe try not defaulting to being an rear end in a top hat for a change? Especially over someone trying to come to terms with, as you said, "the guy responsible for by far the best stretch of basketball in school history" leaving?

I meant these parts. At least read the post if you're gonna get this angry about someone lightly mocking it!

kayakyakr posted:

Apparently when he tried to bring Mark Adams, who is the X's and O's guy for the defense (the good part of Tech's team the last 4 years) they got into a shouting match and are now on bad, bad terms. Enjoy the motion, UT.

I was not actually mad at Kayakyakr. He and I have been posting together about college sports/barbecue for like basically my entire adult life, I'm just giving him poo poo for being a homer. It doesn't need to be a giant thing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2021

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Grittybeard posted:

I mean just update the numbers, the rest of the title is evergreen.

Seconded

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1379463437328117760?s=19

he is from Iowa, Iowa needs a center, let's get this done

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

See Kelvin Sampson you didn't have to jump at the first big to enter the portal...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I meant these parts. At least read the post if you're gonna get this angry about someone lightly mocking it!

I was not actually mad at Kayakyakr. He and I have been posting together about college sports/barbecue for like basically my entire adult life, I'm just giving him poo poo for being a homer. It doesn't need to be a giant thing.

Yeah, I didn't take it as such. MorningView is enough of a homer to get it.

I actually had that whole post written like 2 days before and forgot to hit submit.

I'm meh about how he left. It sounds like, according to what some of the players have been saying in public forums (Mac McClung, for example, posts on Reddit and has been critical), he was somewhat checked-out from the latter half of the season on. Less active on the transfers board than usual, didn't do much to retain the two kids that quit on the team mid-season, stuff like that. He also had agreed to go to UT earlier in the week (and perhaps had been talking to folks before Shaka had been fired), but they waited until April 1 to announce to save on the buyout. He wouldn't talk to Hocutt that week and didn't even pretend to entertain a counter. It wasn't quite bailing on recruits at the 50 yard line to take the Cincinnati job, but it wasn't a clean departure.

Add on that apparently he tried to pressure some assistants to follow him to UT with the statement that staying would be "career suicide". He and Adams had a shouting match and that bridge is super burned.

I'm pretty happy with the Adams hire. It has been talked about for a long time that Adams was the mind behind the defense. He won at the lower level before moving up as an assistant in D1. Beard was the "culture" guy and designed the offense. Beard is a good recruiter, but he gives up on development in favor of the transfer portal. He loves him some 6'4"-6'6" positionless guards, but doesn't believe in forwards taller than 6'8" and doesn't believe in having more than one on the team at a time.

For Beard to be successful at UT, he'll need to 1) deal with the boosters, 2) retain top players when they don't get playing time, 3) fit top talent into his motion offense, and 4) find someone else to teach and run his defense (possibly retaining the def guy they hired last year).

For Adams to be successful at Tech, he'll need to 1) continue to promote the narrative that he was the man behind the defense, 2) prove that he is a plus recruiter that can develop NBA talent, 3) find an offensive-minded assistant to install a high-efficiency offense, 4) build a more balanced roster that can cover some of the weaknesses of the no-middle defense (eg: find or develop a rim protector and/or another few interior switch defenders), and 5) beat UT

Personally, I'd like to see us go away from the motion. It's only good when you have 3-5 players that have been in it for at least 3 years and can just run it without thought. It's not great for modern transfer-oriented basketball when your team is a bunch of newcomers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it is good that they got in a screaming match and are on bad, bad terms now. Hire that guy and stoke the flames of the rivalry in my opinion.

Also the Big 12 is good now, officially.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Local4Jarek/status/1379507080827142149?s=19

everything is very very stupid but I hope he makes a lot of money off some dope

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Local4Jarek/status/1379507080827142149?s=19

everything is very very stupid but I hope he makes a lot of money off some dope

I would pay up to ten (10) dollars for a one-of-a-kind Luka Garza Blingee where he’s smoking a big joint and wearing sunglasses while hanging on the rim (which is a spinning hubcap).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you win the bidding you also get to play horse and go to a movie with him, apparently

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Horse, huh? I guess I can practice smoking a big joint and wearing sunglasses while dunking on a spinning hubcap to make him do it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

N: Devin Askew is transferring from Kentucky.

V: Good.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Beard got a Self assistant. Kind of interesting.

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1379570006292332546

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh jesus ESPN put Purdue as their way-too-early preseason #3. you can't do this to me

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Poque posted:

oh jesus ESPN put Purdue as their way-too-early preseason #3. you can't do this to me

They also lost their defensive coordinator today, he was also their head recruiter so double whammy. Painter has good connections, and he'll need them to replace his top two assistants.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Wiltsghost posted:

Beard got a Self assistant. Kind of interesting.

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1379570006292332546

Beard's assistant budget at UT is insane. Folks were expecting him to take a huge raise to go to UT, but financially the new salary is pretty tame. The rest of that cash is going to assistant coaches.

There's also rumor flying around that them throwing a big assistant budget around is knee-jerk reaction to Adams and Sean Sutton not coming to UT with Beard. He's pulled failing HC's away from UTEP and UTA as well. The only person who followed him from Tech was Ulric Maligi.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Also hey, it's not just me:

https://distinctathlete.com/2021/04/06/texas-techs-hire-of-mark-adams-leaves-chris-beard-without-his-defensive-guru/

Speaking of Mark Adams, his first hire was Portland State HC Barret Peery, also a failing HC. He was successful at the junior college level, but his best season was his first season at Portland State. Dunno if that's on him or just the fact that he isn't a great recruiter. His teams play a 100% press, and take early shots. It'll be interesting to see how parts of his style impact Adam's style of play.

Tech's also still waiting to find out what Terrance Shannon (proj late 1st/early 2nd round) and Mac McClung (proj late 2nd round/undrafted) do regarding the draft, as well as Micah Peavy, who hasn't declared his return (rumored to be choosing between TTU and Michigan). Peavy's father is an HS coach who has won the last 2 state champs (and would have likely been favored to take the cancelled one last season too), and is probably destined for a college job this season or next. I would not be surprised to see him on TTU, Kansas, UT's or anyone else's staff next season. Won't necessarily be the same team that Peavy transfers to, either.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shannon should go. McClung isn't really a prospect but he'd make money in Europe.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Shannon should go. McClung isn't really a prospect but he'd make money in Europe.

Yeah, McClung could stay and potentially work his way into the draft boards. Mooney has a similar style skillset and is sticking in the G-League. McClung should be in a similar boat.

Also, the NBA needs a promotion/relegation process. Break up the team affiliations and/or develop a loaner system. Would open the talent pool up a lot, as G League and lower teams would have something to work toward. Have the bottom two NBA teams and the top two g-league teams go into a double elmination tournament. Winner of the first two goes NBA, lose two go G-League.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The G-League teams are almost all owned by NBA teams so it doesn't really work that way. It's not european soccer where they're their own independent thing, the entire point is to give young players a place to get minutes and develop and make it easier to scout end of the bench guys when you have an open roster spot. If the goal was to win the league and get up to the NBA then they'd just load up on older guys and it'd defeat the whole purpose.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

The G-League teams are almost all owned by NBA teams so it doesn't really work that way. It's not european soccer where they're their own independent thing, the entire point is to give young players a place to get minutes and develop and make it easier to scout end of the bench guys when you have an open roster spot. If the goal was to win the league and get up to the NBA then they'd just load up on older guys and it'd defeat the whole purpose.

Oh, I know. I just think it would be more fun for the fans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sean Miller got canned, per an Athletic notification

RIP

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Need a sitcom where the newly unemployed Miller brothers get an apartment together and life just continues to poo poo on them unmercifully, would really buck up my spirit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sean Miller got canned, per an Athletic notification

RIP

Not so easy when you cant just bribe your way to the top recruits :thunk:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Oh, I know. I just think it would be more fun for the fans.

Whoever got promoted would also pretty much immediately be the worst team in the league or close to it like 99% of the time too, basketball is too super star driven for it to work and those guys don't wind up in the g-league. Like Siakam was for a few games and Rudy Gobert spent part of a season there but those guys were first round picks who were there to develop. The closest thing to a real big time star to come up through the g-league as a UDFA is like Fred VanVleet or something like that

The Glumslinger posted:

Not so easy when you cant just bribe your way to the top recruits :thunk:

Yeah unlike Self, Miller isn't worth the NCAA heat you're going to get for keeping him, and they haven't had a great team recently so even without all that his seat would probably be starting to heat up a bit anyway

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 7, 2021