Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this point obnoxious pit bull owners are as likely to be suburban moms who can't shut up about their precious pibble and let them off without a leash and he's never done this before you must have done something to startle him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Friendly pits are some of the most people oriented dogs you'll ever meet, unfriendly pits are scary. People not neutering their dogs / actively breeding them and people who want the unfriendly pits, both contributing to the pounds overflowing with them, are a much bigger issue.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't know the dog rearing demographics of America so it's a surprise to me that pit bulls are apparently a poor person's pet?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't know the dog rearing demographics of America so it's a surprise to me that pit bulls are apparently a poor person's pet?

There are tons of them, and the best way to get the mean aggressive monster that people want is to neglect them, which is easy when you are poor and spend all your time at work trying not to starve

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they're not

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point obnoxious pit bull owners are as likely to be suburban moms who can't shut up about their precious pibble and let them off without a leash and he's never done this before you must have done something to startle him.

This is a big thing. Every dog that is a poo poo head at work? The owner doesn’t believe a word of it. He doesn’t do that with ME, at HOME, why would he do that with YOU at the VET CLINIC, it makes no sense! :argh:

Edit: and everyone who says my job must be cake and they’d love doing it I just remind they probably haven’t spent time around dogs that didn’t know them at all and were stressing the gently caress out about being in a strange place, caged up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The poo poo that went down with KM and FYAD sucked, I have a trans friend who ended up leaving SA because she felt unsafe, and now that things have settled I don't think she's coming back because it actually kind of blows to weaponize transphobia to purge your posting enemies.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

then why do they eat so many children?

They're easier to catch than adults.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tenkaris posted:

This is a big thing. Every dog that is a poo poo head at work? The owner doesn’t believe a word of it. He doesn’t do that with ME, at HOME, why would he do that with YOU at the VET CLINIC, it makes no sense! :argh:

Edit: and everyone who says my job must be cake and they’d love doing it I just remind they probably haven’t spent time around dogs that didn’t know them at all and were stressing the gently caress out about being in a strange place, caged up.

Big same to everything you said in this post and the last

I was telling my coworker about this discussion while we placed catheters this morning (because I'm that person) and big same from her too :lmao: I think much of it is to do with the fact if you have a huge strong seventy pound dog you are way more likely to understand the need for training and socialization. The little tiny angry breeds are all lap pets that don't need training they are so well behaved at home and also like eight pounds how on earth could such a small dog hurt anyone??? :confused:

Ask any veterinary professional what their least favorite dog breed is. It's Chihuahuas.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 7, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think hating on them is more based on class than anything else because they're popular with low income people. It's not socially acceptable to make fun of poor people outright anymore, but it sure is OK to make fun of their ugly garbage dog and if you happen to throw in some comments about the dog like it was "living in an apartment with like 15 kids" or "it's the terror of the trailer park" it passes under the radar.

hating pits and imaginary pit owners by proxy is definitely class sneering, but it's one of those class sneering things which you have to make politically acceptable by backing up and saying "i'm only talking about the bad white rednecks, obviously" when people start pointing out the racial overtones

of course we could just not be classist but that's too difficult i guess. or it's just a joke, calm down, why are you so upset?

they aren't, but its a panic thing. neglectful dog owners exist across the SES/income spectrum but if someone's neglected, poorly trained dogs get loose and maul someone it tends to get reported more if it happens in a poor neighborhood

pits are overrepresented in terms of dog bites and dog-caused fatalities followed by rottweilers, but on the other hand, someone who wants to own an aggressive dog and who abuses/neglects the dog to make it fiercer, is more likely to choose a pit or rottweiler. there are tons of neglected toy and purse dogs which behave horribly but you're at a lot less personal risk if a chihuahua goes batshit on you

people who want to own guard or yard dogs, or have to have a tough dog to support their tough personal image, or god forbid are into dog fighting, preference certain breeds because of their perceived toughness. modern pits are descended from fighting dogs, but they're perfectly fine and sweet dogs if you put in the effort to socialize and train them, just like any other dog

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I actively dislike pits, but gently caress anyone who actually thinks they are a problem

(I dislike them because they are big and slobbery and most of the ones I have met have been untrained to the point of jumping all over me and leaving me covered in slime)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

KM managed to make the forums blowing up over this image into getting a new subforum, TGRS and Lowtax made her a mod.

Wait why would anyone blow up over that image? It seems like a pretty straightforward joke to me? :confused:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you dislike the ugly murder dog you are racist and classist yes hmmm true

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pits are also crazy strong. Too strong for their own good really.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no, there are plenty of weird dog haters out there who aren't necessarily racist or classist. it's just that hating dogs like some kind of inhuman monster is a convenient mechanism to be classist and or racist while justifying this unwarranted anger as politically acceptable. folks love to have excuses to drop the mask and engage in the same kind of bad behavior they'd scold others for in different circumstances, its a very human thing to do

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only person i knew with a pitt came back from a holiday weekend with a story of how the dog ate someone's nose. But I guarantee there was a lot of nurture being behind that because she was not a classy person

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You have multiple probes for racism.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who was the poster who was obsessed with killing dogs? I want to say they actually ate a perma for something unrelated?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can dislike something without crusading against it. I dislike your posting but have not once called for you to be perma'd, as an example

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

The only person i knew with a pitt came back from a holiday weekend with a story of how the dog ate someone's nose. But I guarantee there was a lot of nurture being behind that because she was not a classy person

Wait, so how do they smell?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the big thing is there's no such thing as a "murder dog" in terms of just the breed. You can turn any dog into a murder dog, it's just some of them are chunkier or bigger so they do more damage when they're assholes.

edit:
Also the best dog is either the Irish Wolfhound or the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. This is not up for discussion.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Dogs are the best

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the big thing is there's no such thing as a "murder dog" in terms of just the breed. You can turn any dog into a murder dog, it's just some of them are chunkier or bigger so they do more damage when they're assholes.

Statistically, the most dangerous murderdog is the dachshund

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I got my dog from a cattle dog rescue. Pretty sure he's half blue heeler and half border collie. Zero herding instinct oddly enough. Only barks at other dogs when they bark at him or at big trucks. He's afraid of our cat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Statistically, the most dangerous murderdog is the dachshund

Wait really? I'm very high right now so don't know if I'm being punked or not.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait really? I'm very high right now so don't know if I'm being punked or not.

As far as attacks, yes. Obviously not as far as damage done

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't even know why we're having this debate. The most murderous of all dogs is, of course, Murder Dog. Now, let's move on.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

In other sagas, remember when admitting you were posting in a less than sober state would get you probed?

Drunk posting is the best posting, from a sagas POV(sorry spinster, its still funny)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

As far as attacks, yes. Obviously not as far as damage done

What, do they confuse people's ankles for badgers or something? I had a couple of long haired minis for nearly half my life, and even thought they were well loved lapdogs they would get fierce when it came to rabbits so clearly the hunting dog instincts were pretty ingrained. Although I guess I did get nipped by their dad a bunch of times when we were dogsitting their parents.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What, do they confuse people's ankles for badgers or something? I had a couple of long haired minis for nearly half my life, and even thought they were well loved lapdogs they would get fierce when it came to rabbits so clearly the hunting dog instincts were pretty ingrained.

My theory is that its more of a fear reaction. They aren't properly socialized, so when they see a stranger they panic and attack. They are then coddled because on no momma little baby is scared, which tells them they acted properly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
Also the best dog is either the Irish Wolfhound or the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. This is not up for discussion.

I think you will find the best dog is my dog, actually :colbert:

evidence:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Diggity! posted:

Dogs are the best

They're good dogs bront

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

evidence:

Hmmm, maaaaaybe. Gonna need to see a pic of your dog with their favorite toy to make sure though.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

evidence:

:can: the best dog is a cat :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

:can: the best dog is a cat :colbert:

....you're blowing my mind here Slimy Hog.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Http 418

https://http.cat/418

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hmmm, maaaaaybe. Gonna need to see a pic of your dog with their favorite toy to make sure though.

Well he doesn't really have a favorite toy, but I do have pictures of him wearing booties:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Who was the poster who was obsessed with killing dogs? I want to say they actually ate a perma for something unrelated?

Iirc it was for the dog thing, but, though I'm only aware of the one, "which?" Is probably the better answer.

Unrelated E:

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Apr 7, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Omg I need a new avatar now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well he doesn't really have a favorite toy, but I do have pictures of him wearing booties:

:mad:

You better go buy that good boy a favorite toy right now damnit!

I like your dog :)