Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bad names for open sores projects is just par for the course though. and "fedora" is still miles above stuff like "GIMP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they named it "fedora" back when they were more associated with Indiana Jones than horrible nerd-ogres, although that suggests they may have had something to do with creating the association

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Last Chance posted:

bad names for open sores projects is just par for the course though. and "fedora" is still miles above stuff like "GIMP"

*the GIMP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

*muffled voiced thank you*

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they named it "fedora" back when they were more associated with Indiana Jones than horrible nerd-ogres, although that suggests they may have had something to do with creating the association

red hat was using the fedora as a logo back in the 90s when they were the hat of indiana jones, cold war spies and your grandfather, and the fedora distro was back in 2003, before they were associated with neckbearded fatlords

iirc, weirdbeard nerds started wearing them in the mid-00s because they thought it made them look rugged and distinguished, when in reality, it had the opposite effect

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lmaoooo why would you admit this?

SELinux is security theater.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Agreed, please use grsec rbac

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The_Franz posted:

red hat was using the fedora as a logo back in the 90s when they were the hat of indiana jones, cold war spies and your grandfather, and the fedora distro was back in 2003, before they were associated with neckbearded fatlords

iirc, weirdbeard nerds started wearing them in the mid-00s because they thought it made them look rugged and distinguished, when in reality, it had the opposite effect

you’re about a half decade late, it was already well established by 04, viz

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11012004

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The_Franz posted:

neckbearded fatlord

tyia mods

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Voodoo Cafe posted:

though it is needs suiting and what i use at home; honestly the most offputting thing about fedora is the name

evoking the worst m'lady-esque elements of the linux community is not a good naming convention. as if i wasn't already bringing enough shame to my family by publicly admitting to using a linux

I felt much more comfortable telling normal people I was using Arch Linux or Debian rather than Fedora. what a relief!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

lmao you have no idea what SELinux does.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have every idea of what SELinux does. I have written modules in their stupid little Type Enforcement language to make normal use cases work correctly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
v

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 6, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SEcFight!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all the world's a stage, and all the computer touchers merely players

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You are talking to the guy who maintains a lot of the SELinux packages for Buildroot and has contributed to the main SELinux project for years. So please, do tell, how is SELinux security theater? :allears:

lol imagine being proud of Linux as anyone other than Axl Torvalds himself

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
What is it with yosposters who are into buildroot and smugly overusing :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

What is it with yosposters who are into buildroot and smugly overusing :allears:

I'm pretty sure I am the only person who uses or develops for Buildroot in this neck of the internet woods? :confused:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

aww yiss here we go

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
These conversations always go the same way:

- SELinux is security theater!

- No, it isn't.

- Yes it is! It doesn't stop hackers!

- That's not what SELinux is supposed to do, it's damage mitigation IF someone hacks into your computer machine.

* Other person stops responding *

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I'm pretty sure I am the only person who uses or develops for Buildroot in this neck of the internet woods? :confused:

multiple yocto users though

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Damage is mitigated by isolating services into separate virtual machines and then issuing easily-revocable service tokens to those virtual machines. If you cannot do that for whatever reason then at least logically isolate them into containers. In any case, if a service has no need to access something then that something shouldn't even be visible.

If a VM gets broken into then you terminate the VM, do a post-mortem to find and fix whatever vulnerability was used to gain access and (ideally) check your audit logs to see what data its service tokens were used to access.

The POSIX security model of elaborate OS-level access control lists governing multiple principals' access to a global resource namespace is a fundamentally broken one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ah gotcha. Just take every service that is running on your desktop and isolate every single one into a VM or a container. Bing bong so simple lmao.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ah gotcha. Just take every service that is running on your desktop and isolate every single one into a VM or a container. Bing bong so simple lmao.

That is Qubes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IDk anything about this stuff, but if someone hacks/gains root into your computer, can't they just turn off SELinux?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, that's what Qubes does but Qubes is a little extreme.

If I'm running something on my desktop then my main security concern is the credential store within my web browser. Web browser developers address this concern by decomposing the web browser into isolated communicating processes and applying mitigations like syscall allowlists, return address stacks, ASLR etc. For whatever reason SELinux doesn't really seem to factor into that.

Desktop applications and services on Linux are increasingly being run from a variety of isolated execution environments. Flatpak for desktop applications (with portals that allow the user to expose individual files from their personal filesystem), systemd sandboxes, or various forms of OCI containers if it's something that runs in the background (although distros don't generally package services in OCI format out of the box, but there's nothing preventing them from managing their own container registries and in fact Red Hat does just that).

That being said Android does make use of SELinux to isolate applications from each other, but Android is very different from a normal POSIX system. Also individual Android applications are not given the opportunity to define their own SELinux policy as far as I'm aware.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

IDk anything about this stuff, but if someone hacks/gains root into your computer, can't they just turn off SELinux?

Depends on how they got root.

Did they just ssh into your computer? Then they have the correct security context to turn it off.

Did they hack in through httpd? Then they do not have the correct security context and cannot turn it off. Also, it can create a log entry that (if logs are monitored) will get them shut down

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yes, buildroot, quite a popular desktop distribution

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It should be pointed out that LSMs are frequently applied to VMs as well. Even in Ubuntu, you have apparmor applied to your VMs.

The whole point of adding this extra security layer is defense in depth. Make it harder for hackers to get anything done. Is it worth it to develop selinux for your package? It depends. As long as someone is willing to pay well enough for its development (either because of precautions or regulations) it is worth doing.

EDIT: Here is a redhat article about locking down containers with selinux. That might be more your style.

https://access.redhat.com/documenta...s_using-selinux

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 7, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

remains kind of true that on a single desktop installation it is very unlikely that you'll have anything of value outside of your own home directory, and it is also unlikely that you'll get owned as anything but your own user account.

but it also remains true that a pure desktop install of linux is incredibly rare compare to the universe of all linux installs.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

sb hermit posted:

EDIT: Here is a redhat article about locking down containers with selinux. That might be more your style.

https://access.redhat.com/documenta...s_using-selinux

Epic this, udica is really nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like they've at least finally stopped using the "the" after a billion years. They really just should have changed the name entirely, though, because the fact that they went out of their way to gleefully insist on using the "the" for so long makes the whole name incredibly toxic and offensive.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 8, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

It seems like they've at least finally stopped using the "the" after a billion years. They really just should have changed the name entirely, though, because the fact that they went out of their way to gleefully insist on using the "the" for so long makes the whole name incredibly toxic and offensive.

looks like the latest of the periodic rename forks is wandering off into rust rewrite land

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember bitchx

or gently caress

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

looks like the latest of the periodic rename forks is wandering off into rust rewrite land
I mean they still haven't finished the new graphics layer they've been working on for like 15 years with CMYK support right? Of course any attempt to fork it is just going into some masturbatory rust project.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ok has there been any successful rust rewrites

like, anything at all?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

carry on then posted:

remember bitchx

this one's good

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

carry on then posted:

ok has there been any successful rust rewrites

like, anything at all?

the llvm frontend used to compile rust was successfully rewritten from C to rust :)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they use gimp at the library system where I live and the name is upsetting to the library workers who have to use it without knowing the entire backstory of GNU, how lennart got us in this mess, etc. this is the kind of workplace where everyone has to participate in various cultural sensitivity trainings regularly, so I can see how it would be jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

discord had a good article about rewriting their server stuff from go to rust