Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Lol yeah Kessler has them with him.

Really glad Patrick hates Hilton Head, they’re not playing next week so Kess can come to my wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

Daric, you do understand that there's a non-zero percent chance that Patrick Reed will wind up using a ball marker.

My mind read that as ‘there’s a non-zero chance that Patrick reed winds up AS one of your ball markers’. Which I think may be even more likely.

Seriously though, BDC is such a friggin beast. I seriously love that guy now, which is like one part morbid curiosity of his next ‘thing’ to push the limits, but another part true appreciation for the effort.

There’s just no way you can’t say he’s working his rear end off.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

Imagine watching the Masters and seeing a pro using your ball marker.

Seems like a sure fire way to get a cease and desist letter.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey hey hey here's the view from my new backyard:

That's the green just past the bunkers; you can just see the pin. I'm going to keep a box of ProV1s handy so I can toss one into the bunkers when I see a group of golfers approaching. I'm not sure I'll get any better at golf while I'm living here, but I will get poorer. House is about 30 yards short of the green, and offset from the fairway...you can see the cart path just past the fence. Not sure how many free balls I will collect. I have a friend who lives out here, and he has a couple of buckets of free balls in his backyard, and has replaced two windows. Time will tell.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Lincoln posted:

That's the green just past the bunkers; you can just see the pin. I'm going to keep a box of ProV1s handy so I can toss one into the bunkers when I see a group of golfers approaching. I'm not sure I'll get any better at golf while I'm living here, but I will get poorer. House is about 30 yards short of the green, and offset from the fairway...you can see the cart path just past the fence. Not sure how many free balls I will collect. I have a friend who lives out here, and he has a couple of buckets of free balls in his backyard, and has replaced two windows. Time will tell.

Looks sick dude!

Is that a par 3, 4, or 5?

I’m guessing you’ll be fine if it’s a par 4. Par 5 you might get a lot of people trying to hit 3 wood to get to the green and as a result some really spinny fairway wood shots.

And it looks like you’re left of the green for approach shots right? That will reduce likelihood of stray balls considerably.

I think the worst location is like 100-200 yards from the tee box on the right side of the fairway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rapaport/status/1379843129508003858

apparently Tiger was fuckin' booking it

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
And the data from the car says the accelerator was at 99%. Sounds like he was going too drat fast, lost control, panicked, and hit the wrong pedal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Presto posted:

And the data from the car says the accelerator was at 99%. Sounds like he was going too drat fast, lost control, panicked, and hit the wrong pedal.

Or was passed out with foot on the pedal.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lincoln posted:

You will get balls. I live on a tee box and someone literally has to hit the ball 90 degrees off line to make it inside my fence from the back tees, from the front tees I don’t think it’s possible. I still get a ball or so a week. Of course it’s always a pinnacle.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Man if I were you I’d set up a mat in the backyard and turn that into a little Par 3 for yourself in the evenings

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I assume this is the place to ask about wtf I should be looking for in clubs? I have a handed down, hand-me down set of Wilson x31's from it appears the late 60's (Driver and woods are actually made of wood). I can go out with them and only lose a ball or two over 18 on a not at all difficult course shooting double bogey+ depending on how lovely my short game is. I went out and played with a buddy recently and have gotten the itch to look at possibly buying something made in the last decade. My head is spinning at all of the options and I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't even know what a reasonable price range is. Any advice on where to start?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Braggo posted:

I assume this is the place to ask about wtf I should be looking for in clubs? I have a handed down, hand-me down set of Wilson x31's from it appears the late 60's (Driver and woods are actually made of wood). I can go out with them and only lose a ball or two over 18 on a not at all difficult course shooting double bogey+ depending on how lovely my short game is. I went out and played with a buddy recently and have gotten the itch to look at possibly buying something made in the last decade. My head is spinning at all of the options and I'm not even sure where to begin. I don't even know what a reasonable price range is. Any advice on where to start?

Find a PGA Store or other golf store near you and go get fit for a set.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Find a PGA Store or other golf store near you and go get fit for a set.
At some point that might make sense, but I'm afraid they might upsell him on $1500 worth of gear he doesn't need, especially since it sounds like he's a beginner. Braggo, you can go through the fitting process but don't feel pressured to buy. I think you'll feel better about buying used clubs from the last 5 years, which PGA Superstore does have.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Callaway PreOwned is my first suggestion to everyone. Buy some used clubs that are 2-3 years old for vastly cheaper than buying new and every single club I’ve bought from them has appeared brand new. If other manufacturers had something similar to CPO I’d be all over it.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm definitely a beginner. On Callaway PreOwned looking at iron sets I obviously don't need Tour Inspired clubs but should I be looking at "(Super)Game Improvement" type clubs or does that not really matter to a beginner?

There is a PGA Superstore a little less than 2 hours away so I'll keep that in mind but buying used seems like a better starting point at the moment.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had a good score today. Driving in the fairway, good putting. But, drat, my less than full swing wedges just sucked.

I could see my body switching to open the club face and sweep the club and it had predictable results: balls going dead right and short. I do that kind of shot on the range, and rarely a full flop shot on the course, but it was like my head just issued correction orders mid swing from gripped down, 3/4 speed swing to open club face. Finally got it under control, but I'd really like to know how the whole drat thing happened.

Edit: Braggo: game improvement and super game improvement are what you want.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Counterpoint, Game Improvement and Super Game Improvement only FEEL more forgiving but there’s not actually a discernible difference between them and blades. It’s all marketing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

Counterpoint, Game Improvement and Super Game Improvement only FEEL more forgiving but there’s not actually a discernible difference between them and blades. It’s all marketing.

Data?

I don't confuse anecdote with proof, but my personal experience was the opposite, and those I've helped have the same experience. Fitting certainly supported that.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
https://youtu.be/1PbkkH0-EjI

Obviously you’re going to feel the mishits with blades more but blades also teach you how to properly hit the ball so you avoid those mishits in the first place.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Presto posted:

tired, lost control, unfamiliar car, stomped down, hit the gas. it's just a theory but seems likely.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

https://youtu.be/1PbkkH0-EjI

Obviously you’re going to feel the mishits with blades more but blades also teach you how to properly hit the ball so you avoid those mishits in the first place.

I'm familiar with their one man test. There are quite a few articles/videos like that, on both sides of the divide. But no large or even medium data tests. I'd hoped mygolfspy had something, but no. The three fittings I've done I've always had a mix of clubs, and the consistency of GI clubs has always been significant.

I'm curious why pros are moving away from blades on longer clubs if there is no difference, but the lack of any real testing is a pain.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 8, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

harperdc posted:

tired, lost control, unfamiliar car, stomped down, hit the gas. it's just a theory but seems likely.

Is tired a euphemism for high as balls on pills?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Seems more like that scene from "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly" when he has the stroke and runs his car off the road, completely locked up.

70+mph off that road is nuts and that Hyundai SUV definitely saved his rear end.

I had friends in high school die horribly in 70's cars and VW bugs and poo poo (in the 80's) well under 70 mph. No airbags and only lap belts definitely didn't help.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

I'm familiar with their one man test. There are quite a few articles/videos like that, on both sides of the divide. But no large or even medium data tests. I'd hoped mygolfspy had something, but no. The three fittings I've done I've always had a mix of clubs, and the consistency of GI clubs has always been significant.

I'm curious why pros are moving away from blades on longer clubs if there is no difference, but the lack of any real testing is a pain.

My last 3 sets of irons have been Bridgestone J40 DPC, Cleveland CBX, and Mizuno MP20 muscleback blades. The Bridgestones were purchased slightly used on eBay after several months of research in the winter and I used them for 18 months and loved them. The Clevelands were free as part of a The Hacker’s Paradise event where I got a full bag of clubs and some rounds of golf and a tour of their HQ in California. And the MP20’s were purchased a year ago after finding a set on eBay that was brand new and fit my custom specs exactly.

These three sets cover basically the whole spectrum of irons other than the full-set-of-hybrids style, and honestly I really struggle to see much difference in “forgiveness” between them. The CBX obviously are the longest but they are also a full club stronger in loft vs the others. The J40 and MP20 both have almost no offset and look very slim at address, although the J40 have quite a long blade length. Honestly the most noticeable difference for me has been that the Mizunos are 2* upright and 1/2” long which fits my stature and swing and as a result I don’t have to adjust my setup posture at all. So I’d fully recommend that anybody looking to get more serious about golf go and get a no-pressure fitting where you can get a sense of what length, lie, shaft flex, etc fits you best and then buy a set that matches those specs. Callaway Pre-owned, EBay, the GolfWRX or THP forums, etc. all have plenty of sets for sale all the time that are either new or barely used and listed for way below retail price.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

DoctaFun posted:

Looks sick dude!

Is that a par 3, 4, or 5?

I’m guessing you’ll be fine if it’s a par 4. Par 5 you might get a lot of people trying to hit 3 wood to get to the green and as a result some really spinny fairway wood shots.

And it looks like you’re left of the green for approach shots right? That will reduce likelihood of stray balls considerably.

Thanks! Par 4, left side as approaching the green. Shouldn't be too bad, though the side of the house facing the fairway is (obviously) pretty much all glass. My friend that already lives out here is on the inside corner of a dog-leg-right par-4, and everybody tries to cut the corner. Poor guy.

We're doing a major reno job — expected to take 3 months, so we're not moving in for a while. Kitchen total gut job, ditto master bath. All floors replaced; all walls, ceilings and trim repainted, and about a thousand other things. This is our pine-box home, so we don't mind the expense. I am a skin-flint.

And I suppose we're in the market for a golf cart now. I know NOTHING about golf carts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When I bought my new clubs this year I got the TaylorMade Sim Max O/S because the face is bigger and I miss hit a lot of balls. As a 16 handicap, I just don't see how blades would do anything but make my scores worse. That being said I would like a butter knife 5-iron from 1974 to practice with on the range.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Just got my Thanos marker and it's loving sick. Next should be an infinity gauntlet marker to complete the set lol. Thanks man! @daric

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Dope! Glad you like it.

The manufacturer has been working on the next 8 for the last week and a half so I’m hoping I can get them soon.

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
I need some advice on equipment. I just started to get into golf last year, taking a few lessons in the fall. Still really in total beginner territory, like 100-105ish over 18 holes.

Right now, my set is a mess of hand-me-down clubs:
2013ish Taylormade Burner driver
3H Nicklaus from around 2010, stiff flex (everything else is regular, which is what I should be using according to the teaching pro at my lessons)
5H, 6-PW, 3W, 5W Jazz (Canadian brand that I think is defunct) set from around 2004
Jazz belly putter from the same set.

I’m planning to keep up lessons every two weeks this spring/summer but would like some newer equipment, especially to get a couple of the things that are missing (SW and a putter that isn’t illegal).

I was hoping to get the Callaway Edge set that I’ve seen recommended a bunch of YouTube and Reddit as an amazing value beginner set, but I missed the 2 hours that it was in stock at Costco in Canada yesterday - apparently lots of people bought them up to scalp on Kijiji/Craigslist. I like the idea of a decent packaged set that would last me a couple of years, at which point I’d have enough of an idea what I’m doing that getting fitted would make more sense.

Now I’m feeling kind of stuck on a decision because there isn’t much between the really cheap $300 sets from stores’ house brands, and sets that are $1500+. I know packaged sets (outside of Callaway Edge) are generally poor value, but buying everything piecemeal also doesn’t feel great in this situation since there’s a lot of clubs I’d like to replace.

I don’t mind spending money on them since I’ve been enjoying playing so much, but don’t want to be wasteful with it knowing that my swing will probably change so much over the first couple of years.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Black Hole Bowser posted:

I need some advice on equipment. I just started to get into golf last year, taking a few lessons in the fall. Still really in total beginner territory, like 100-105ish over 18 holes.

I've been playing 2 years and I still shoot in that range :v:

Package set would almost certainly not be worth it. I don't know how their shipping to Canada is, but sites like globalgolf.com and callaway preowned have great deals on used clubs. I started with a packaged/hand me down set, and I've upgraded the clubs that I felt would help me the most, but did more piecemeal upgrades. That meant iron set -> 3w -> putter -> driver. Between the used sites and clearance sales, you can probably put something very decent together over the course of the season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In the last 10 years, the only new clubs I’ve bought are a 3 wood and 2 wedges. Used is the way to go.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Black Hole Bowser posted:

Right now, my set is a mess of hand-me-down clubs:
2013ish Taylormade Burner driver
3H Nicklaus from around 2010, stiff flex (everything else is regular, which is what I should be using according to the teaching pro at my lessons)
5H, 6-PW, 3W, 5W Jazz (Canadian brand that I think is defunct) set from around 2004
Jazz belly putter from the same set.

I’m planning to keep up lessons every two weeks this spring/summer but would like some newer equipment, especially to get a couple of the things that are missing (SW and a putter that isn’t illegal).

I was hoping to get the Callaway Edge set that I’ve seen recommended a bunch of YouTube and Reddit as an amazing value beginner set, but I missed the 2 hours that it was in stock at Costco in Canada yesterday - apparently lots of people bought them up to scalp on Kijiji/Craigslist. I like the idea of a decent packaged set that would last me a couple of years, at which point I’d have enough of an idea what I’m doing that getting fitted would make more sense.

Now I’m feeling kind of stuck on a decision because there isn’t much between the really cheap $300 sets from stores’ house brands, and sets that are $1500+. I know packaged sets (outside of Callaway Edge) are generally poor value, but buying everything piecemeal also doesn’t feel great in this situation since there’s a lot of clubs I’d like to replace.

I don’t mind spending money on them since I’ve been enjoying playing so much, but don’t want to be wasteful with it knowing that my swing will probably change so much over the first couple of years.

I spent over 2 grand this year on a new set because I play 2 or 3 times a week and love it. I just started breaking 90 this year, and I already have an 87 with the new clubs. I also take lessons and that's been helping way more than the clubs do, so I really recommend finding a good coach and practice.

However, it's really all about what you want to spend. You can save a ton of money by finding out when Demo day is at the local driving range is going to happen. They will, for free, do a range fitting which you can then use to buy a set of last years clubs off of ebay or 3rd swing or whatever. For example, 3 years ago I got fitted for Ping G410 Irons stiff flex Green Dot lie, and I bought a used set of Green Dot G400's 4 through SW for less that $500.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Josh Lyman posted:

In the last 10 years, the only new clubs I’ve bought are a 3 wood and 2 wedges. Used is the way to go.

Wow what kind of loft does a 2 wedge have?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow what kind of loft does a 2 wedge have?

If you have to ask you can't hit it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I can't hit any of my clubs so it'll fit right into my bag

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
First round of the year in the books!

I played 18 at ‘The Royal Golf club’ in lake Elmo, MN, which is an Arnold Palmer and Annika Sorenstam design. It may even be one of the last courses Arnie helped design.

It used to be called Tartan park, which was a 27 hole course owned by 3M, but now it’s just 18 holes and lots of really huge houses.

Anyways, it was cold, and about a two club wind, but I was really surprised how well I got the ball. Driver was a bit squirrelly, but my irons were on point. Hit 10 greens and shot 76!

My perfect practice putting mat definitely made me more confident in the greens, I had 29 putts and made quite a few in the 4-8 foot range.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Don't show my lovely handwriting to everyone!

(Glad you got it!)

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I got all three. Very cool. Wish they were magnetic so i could wear them on my hat, but they were never advertised as magnetic so no big deal. Very bright designs! Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah if I wanted to make them magnetic I’d have to change the metal which would increase the price. It’s something I want to look into down the line because releasing a magnetic Magneto would be cool.