Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ospreay isn't even that good to warrant such preferential treatment

e: not that that even matters because him and his wife are both abusers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ospreay's abuse is telling a trainee he's going to kill them, right

cause believing his friend who is likely a piece of poo poo and blackballing someone from shows is awful, but is not abuse

what did bea do

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

cams posted:

ospreay's abuse is telling a trainee he's going to kill them, right

cause believing his friend who is likely a piece of poo poo and blackballing someone from shows is awful, but is not abuse

what did bea do

Apparently tying someone to a chair and berating them for being vegan? Will’s got a lot of irons in the fire.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

Apparently tying someone to a chair and berating them for being vegan? Will’s got a lot of irons in the fire.
yeah that's the "telling someone he's going to kill them" thing to which i was referring

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

The industry's main journalist not caring about sexual harassment or assault is one of the main reasons it's so prevalent

It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he likes some of the people doing it and covers up for them.

He's not some passively lovely old man, he's part of why all this poo poo continues.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

Ospreay isn't even that good to warrant such preferential treatment

e: not that that even matters because him and his wife are both abusers

It wouldn’t matter how good he was, nobody deserves preferential treatment in these kind of circumstances based on how well they pretend to fight other men in their pants.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

It wouldn’t matter how good he was, nobody deserves preferential treatment in these kind of circumstances based on how well they pretend to fight other men in their pants.

completely agreed

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've always just gotten the impression Dave is still a big robot person and gets frustrated with the arbitrary fan opinions because he sees it as one big group than a bunch of disparate opinions. Which he's not wrong, look at how many people feel like Ospreay winning a title, an entirely kayfabe event, was a breaking point. But he's missing that the mob being conflicted and inconsistent doesn't mean his friend didn't do anything.

Edit: He's doing "everyone hates Will but they still love Steve Austin" :colbert: Which is true and he's right, the crowd is fickle and unfocused and people can be arbitrary and there are absolutely people using this just to get shots in. None of that means your buddy didn't do something hosed up.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2021

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he likes some of the people doing it and covers up for them.

He's not some passively lovely old man, he's part of why all this poo poo continues.

Basically this yeah.

I was thinking about re-subbing for WOR but Dave reminded me why I stopped subscribing to him in the first place.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

His whole defense of Ospreay is basically that the entire history of wrestling is overflowing with people significantly worse than Ospreay, as if that really matters. And his comment about 2020 is just him crying that people are focusing on Ospreay instead of saying "well, Snuka murdered someone once so this is nothing"

At the end of the day, if you're a good worker, Dave gives you way more slack than he does for others.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

At the end of the day, if you're a good worker, Dave gives you way more slack than he does for others.

I don't even think that's true, Dave made a "what about Randy Orton dropping the n word" defense of Jim Cornettes racist comments on NWA Powerrr

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

I don't even think that's true, Dave made a "what about Randy Orton dropping the n word" defense of Jim Cornettes racist comments on NWA Powerrr

Dave and Jim were friends for a long time

Jim mocks him publicly these days because they disagree about Kenny and the Bucks

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

Dave wasn't defending Cornette. He was saying that Cornette's history and love of making enemies causes him to get less of a pass than, say, Randy Orton.

Which is true.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It should also be noted that there are probably a LOT of newer fans who have no idea about Austin's DV history. It was almost 19 years ago, he was off TV when it happened, he was back on TV within months, and since at least his 2005 move to LA, he seems like he may be a very different person from that guy, to boot.

Meanwhile, after Googling around a bit, I saw a Reddit comment which mentioned that Austin had addressed the gag order in his book. Here's what he said, with the "two years later" referring to the arrest being two years after they got married:

"Two years later, the incident at the house happened. The police were called and it got national media attention. You can talk about it, read about it, and discuss it. I can’t—legal reasons. Then we got divorced, which I can’t give details on either. There is a gag order. All I can say is I truly regret the whole ordeal."

He does also say this later in the chapter:

"Anyway, Debra is a sweetheart. It was one of those situations that just didn’t work out. We loved each other and neither of us ever cheated on the other one. We still communicate and if she ever needs my help down the road, I would help her in a heartbeat."

And for what it's worth, in an interview last year, she said he got violent three times: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/e5ctu9/debra_speaks_about_the_domestic_violence_and/

Again, it's weird, because 1. Debra wasn't gagged. 2. He does seem genuinely mortified and embarrassed by what he did, but it seems hard to imagine a scenario where she was given free rein to talk about it publicly and he couldn't say anything other than he regretted it.

I could certainly see a scenario where he's just too drat embarrassed to talk about it, as well, and he's using a legitimate but more permissive gag order as an excuse, but...I dunno. If it was something that was specific to the period where his addictions got out of control/he was taking too many painkillers and God only knows what else, then he absolutely could have become a much better person in the intervening two decades. But there's still something about how he's handled the story that doesn't smell right. I guess a divorce lawyer might have a better idea of how likely a one-sided gag order would be in a settlement like this?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

One-sided gag orders happen all the time they just call them NDAs.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mob posted:

One-sided gag orders happen all the time they just call them NDAs.
Well yeah, I just can't think of any time I've heard of one quite like this one.

I suppose that Debra/her lawyer asked for it out of concern that he'd try to babyface himself in the media?

Also: WWE holding an Austin-centered in-ring beer bash for no reason that could be apparent to the TV viewer on the first Raw after Austin's no-alcohol probation period ended is one of the grossest thing's they've ever done that nobody ever talks about. It was hard to read that segment as anything other than WWE's official corporate stance being "Debra deserved it."

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Any fan who's been on the internet will know about Austin's DV. It feels like for years, every time the man is mentioned, the same full on back and forth happens about it, along with plenty of jokes where the only awareness people have of Debra's persona is stuff like the "I beat Debra" parody song.

Why would it be strange that Austin is gagged and Debra isn't? Why would you treat both parties the same?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On yesterday's show Meltzer said that Priest and Bad Bunny should have stolen the tires off a car in a Raw segment (I didn't watch Raw but it involved Miz and Morrison) because they're Puerto Rican.

I'm sure he meant something else though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

keithy george posted:

Any fan who's been on the internet will know about Austin's DV. It feels like for years, every time the man is mentioned, the same full on back and forth happens about it, along with plenty of jokes where the only awareness people have of Debra's persona is stuff like the "I beat Debra" parody song.

Why would it be strange that Austin is gagged and Debra isn't? Why would you treat both parties the same?
1. Certain corners of the internet, yes, but far from all.
2. "Gag order" is Austin's working but probably incorrect; he's almost surely talking about a negotiated settlement. It's also less that it would be one-sided and more that it would be weird to be so one-sided that he couldn't even try to issue an apology in public.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Aphrodite posted:

On yesterday's show Meltzer said that Priest and Bad Bunny should have stolen the tires off a car in a Raw segment (I didn't watch Raw but it involved Miz and Morrison) because they're Puerto Rican.

Beginning to think Big Dave is not great

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I saw Reddit people are threatening Meltzer now and asking the mods to boycott Meltzer posts and try to shut him down.

Dave’s a moron here and he should know that everybody is watching his every word to look for ways to get rid of him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

He was referring back to a promo they’d just cut where they asked “Do you know where we’re from?” and then the heels just drove away in a car. The line set up an expectation that something was about to be paid off with the baby faces getting one over and it didn’t happen.

Dude definitely needs to think harder before he speaks because it’s a really lovely look, but it’s not the literal “they’re Puerto Rican they should be stealing car parts and acting like cholos” that the short clip posted with no context by a noted racist troll makes it out to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Worked himself into a shoot racism.

Just because the line in the promo may have caused expectations of a punchline doesn't mean your mind jumping to "I thought it was going to be revealed they stole the hubcaps (editor's note: I'm adjusting for era) because they're latino and near a car" isn't racist.

He out old man racismed Vince McMahon.

It's not like the guy's a white supremacist or anything, but that's loving garbage cultural racism that he should acknowledge immediately and apologize for.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 7, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Someone else paste Joey Ryan's overnight tweetstorm so I don't have to.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pretty sure daves commentary is he expected wwes logic for them stealing car parts is because theyre puerto rican because he doesnt put wwe above having lazy racist angles and not his actual thoughts on what they should have done, especially considering him putting them on blast for the racist apollo crews angle going on at the same time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

History Comes Inside! posted:

Dude definitely needs to think harder before he speaks

Someone make a plaque of this and hang it in Dave's office.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

CombineThresher posted:

Someone make a plaque of this and hang it in Dave's office.

Sure would do a lot of good under all that paper.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aphrodite posted:

Worked himself into a shoot racism.

Just because the line in the promo may have caused expectations of a punchline doesn't mean your mind jumping to "I thought it was going to be revealed they stole the hubcaps (editor's note: I'm adjusting for era) because they're latino and near a car" isn't racist.

He out old man racismed Vince McMahon.

It's not like the guy's a white supremacist or anything, but that's loving garbage cultural racism that he should acknowledge immediately and apologize for.

I read this as he was expecting vince to go with the racist stereotype not that he was expecting it for personal reasons

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidbix posted:

Someone else paste Joey Ryan's overnight tweetstorm so I don't have to.

https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1379634640453922817

Started there, somehow didn't stop there either. Way too much to quote, TL;DR He also:

Told numerous people to mute or block him if they didn't want to see his tweets, he wasn't putting in the effort to block them himself
Defended the dickflip
Said "you can't convict someone who hasn't committed a crime"
Said Tony/AEW knew about his charity booking; Cage and Sonny were booked through the company's third-party booking system and the only request given was for neither to be in a match with Joey
Claimed he has a copy of the contract FITE sent to be able to broadcast said charity booking
Didn't know why a rape victim wouldn't report to cops if something legit happened, then completely ignored when a rape victim outright responded to him with the reason they didn't
Defended tweeting the n-word because it was a song lyric he was quoting at the time
Got in a fight with you

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

ICR posted:

Yeah I saw Reddit people are threatening Meltzer now and asking the mods to boycott Meltzer posts and try to shut him down.

Dave’s a moron here and he should know that everybody is watching his every word to look for ways to get rid of him.

Probably because he consistently sucks OP

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

JOHN CENA posted:

pretty sure daves commentary is he expected wwes logic for them stealing car parts is because theyre puerto rican because he doesnt put wwe above having lazy racist angles and not his actual thoughts on what they should have done, especially considering him putting them on blast for the racist apollo crews angle going on at the same time.

Radical normalization, dude! If that was his intent, he should frame it as such.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

Radical normalization, dude! If that was his intent, he should frame it as such.

if you listened to the podcast, the context is pretty clear hes talking from what he thought wwes perspective on it would be.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Badman posted:

it sounds like he did though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was talking about expecting something. They suggest the racist latino car thief angle.

They even say it would be funny.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
meltzer being racist and dumb is bad but doesn’t really compare with, say, joey ryan’s ongoing monster poo poo on this same page

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would argue that it's got literally zero to do with speakingout and shouldn't be cluttering this thread at all

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

IcePhoenix posted:

it sounds like he did though

It's almost like redditors removed any possible context and used it as a sound bite because they hate Meltzer because he doesn't sufficiently kiss McMahons rear end.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1379980853002969090

Joey is melting down.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
If only the WWE wanted his dick punch or whatever (i've never seen it, nor want too) before this all came out, he'd be tag champs with Riddle and with the same lawyer.

gently caress Joey Ryan.

e: yikes; so now this sex addict is a shy little virgin boy who gets taken advantage of by women!

https://twitter.com/JoeyRyanOnline/status/1379969855030501377

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also putting aside all the obvious reasons for how monstrous that tweet is, the guy in that scene Joey is likening himself to literally sets up a webcam to secretly film this girl naked and share the video with his friends.