Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Biff Rockgroin posted:

A fake video store leading into a relaxing "viewing room" would be the way to go.

I guess it didn't help that the guy leads off with some more interesting stuff and then goes into the most mediocre crap imaginable.

"Here's my Arrow section. I don't know, I don't have a ton... Now here's the crown jewel of my collection: 58 copies of The Matrix INCLUDING this German version which comes with a model of the Blue Pill. Only 15 of these exist in the world and it came with a black Steelbook that says "Der Matrix" in neon green Comic Sans."

Part of me thinks this guy goes down there every night and then just watches The Office on netflix or something.

Nah, he's probably a Friends kinda guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well he's certainly not going to take any of the discs out of the cases. They'd immediately lose 50% of their market value!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Well he's certainly not going to take any of the discs out of the cases. They'd immediately lose 50% of their market value!

Yeah but that only means something if he’s willing to sell them.

(He’s not)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Also, imagine spending that much money on media and NOT getting a projector and a 150" screen... Christ.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess watching movies is one hobby and collecting movies can be a totally separate hobby. So as someone who enjoys owning a lot of movies because of the entertainment they provide, it's just a whole different dynamic than someone who could just as easily be collecting funko pops or whatever because the hunt is the main thing they enjoy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As someone whose two favorite comic book creators just recently got into the chase variant cover game, I understand the completionist’s lament.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i wonder if he has some cataloging system for all that or could someone sneak in and steal one of the five copies of the other Hanks son classic, Orange County and he would just never notice.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Iron Crowned posted:

Nah, he's probably a Friends kinda guy.

"And here's my UHD Friends complete series. It comes in a life size model of Ross. All the discs are shoved up his rear end."

The size of the TV didn't bother me so much as how insanely close the couch was. If you're on one of the end seats you aren't seeing poo poo and the optimal spot is wedged into the corner piece.

But what can he really do about it, he needs the space to shelf the 11 Star Wars movies that each have six different versions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

i wonder if he has some cataloging system for all that or could someone sneak in and steal one of the five copies of the other Hanks son classic, Orange County and he would just never notice.

I figure Orange County is one of those DVD classics that is safe from theft.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I figure Orange County is one of those DVD classics that is safe from theft.

I dunno, the demand to rewatch or watch for the first time for these Zoomers, the cinematic spectacle of Orange County. You'd think the energy around that would be electric. I hope he has special precautions like a hidden layer in the doorway that scans bodies for any RFID tagged items being taken to and from the room. You must protect those Ultimate Cuts of Orange County with the special Jack Black commentary function that wasnt carried across all territories beyond Yugoslavia.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I guess watching movies is one hobby and collecting movies can be a totally separate hobby. So as someone who enjoys owning a lot of movies because of the entertainment they provide, it's just a whole different dynamic than someone who could just as easily be collecting funko pops or whatever because the hunt is the main thing they enjoy.

I can understand caring about watching movies without caring about collecting, but I can't understand the reverse. A shelf full of pretty spines does absolutely nothing for me without the "ok what am I watching tonight?" element.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I can understand caring about watching movies without caring about collecting, but I can't understand the reverse. A shelf full of pretty spines does absolutely nothing for me without the "ok what am I watching tonight?" element.

With people who have that collecting gene or whatever you want to call it, the satisfaction mostly ends once the item is obtained. The fun and satisfying part is hunting down the item and being able to check it off your list. So for people like that the hours of entertainment we get from movies is replaced with hours of sifting through the internet and driving from store to store to hunt down all of the variants or whatever they're collecting.

That's what I came to understand when I had a good friend who got deep into collecting funko pops. Sure, he had them on display at home, but he didn't sit there gazing at them or anything like that. But he did spend endless hours driving around from Walmart to Hot Topic to Wallgreens etc. trying to find every variant and to him that was a fun way to kill time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In a way Pops make a bit more sense with that approach since their only function is to sit on a shelf. But physical media is meant to be put in your player and watched. :shrug:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont even take the shrink wrap off any of my blurays tbh. It's all decoration

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

In a way Pops make a bit more sense with that approach since their only function is to sit on a shelf. But physical media is meant to be put in your player and watched. :shrug:

This guy really does seem to look at them as art pieces though. It's an interesting and weird quirk in the way his brain works I guess, he somehow became enough of a fan of movie packaging and artwork that he wanted to collect that but doesn't really seem to care about the movies themselves.

I would like to have a beer with him and pick his brain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont even take the shrink wrap off any of my blurays tbh. It's all decoration

I take the shrink wrap off, but then I keep all of the shrink wrap in a container.

Makes as much sense as keeping the slipcover. :siren::iceburn::siren:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

This guy really does seem to look at them as art pieces though. It's an interesting and weird quirk in the way his brain works I guess, he somehow became enough of a fan of movie packaging and artwork that he wanted to collect that but doesn't really seem to care about the movies themselves.

I would like to have a beer with him and pick his brain.

He orders one of each beer, unless they are available on both bottled and on tap in which case he orders both, and drinks none of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Slip covers perform an important function :argh:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I take the shrink wrap off, but then I keep all of the shrink wrap in a container.

I don't give a gently caress about slipcovers, but thanks to slipcover culture and the OCD-like nature of those collectors, I have often found that the movies I bought on discount were discounted because the corners of the slipcover were slightly damaged or some other innocuous cosmetic issue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I don't give a gently caress about slipcovers, but thanks to slipcover culture and the OCD-like nature of those collectors, I have often found that the movies I bought on discount were discounted because the corners of the slipcover were slightly damaged or some other innocuous cosmetic issue.

That's how I buy canned food

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't mind if a slipcover is a little banged up, the main thing is it prevents the plastic on the case from immediately bubbling up when I put it on the shelf, which is a pet peeve of mine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I'll admit it, when I make an impulse buy of something at a physical store, I search for the least damaged slipcover :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll admit it, when I make an impulse buy of something at a physical store, I search for the least damaged slipcover :negative:

Oh yea sure, I do that but it takes literally 5 seconds to check which one is in the best condition. Totally normal. I'm totally normal.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

There's no shame in that. I'm very particular with the condition of the packaging of my movies, and slipcovers are a part of the packaging. That's right, SLIPCOVERS ARE A PART OF THE PACKAGING! :(

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I cared about slipcovers for about a week until I realized it's just not good for my health.

Places like Vinegar Syndrome make it easy to deal with, but then Arrow apparently picks and chooses what gets a slip, and Scream Factory is all over the place and there's no real way of knowing if one was ever available.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And here we go again!

I throw all slipcovers away unless they're VinSyn or whatever, and even then I don't really want to keep them it just feels like an obligation. If VinSyn released their slipcovers with the same art, but they had a synopsis on the back and a barcode, I'd throw them away too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'll keep a slip for protection and if I prefer that art versus the interior slip art. I have third party purchased slips because my GODDAMN MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4K COLLECTION ALL NEEDED SLIPS (only Ghost Protocol was missing one while the rest had slips, it had to be done). I dont throw them away otherwise, but I wont hunt down a slip for just anything. It would need to be special circumstances.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you throw away a hand numbered vinsyn slip you're just mean.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh hell yeah! My Hunky Boy came in today!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

A fake video store leading into a relaxing "viewing room" would be the way to go.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1369660060293505032?s=21

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Living the fuckin’ dream right there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would like something like that. tho mine would have beaded curtains that led into the back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I would like something like that. tho mine would have beaded curtains that led into the back.

I'd just go for some batwing doors personally

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CPL593H posted:

When I was in high school the go-to movie for "The teacher is out today/It's the end of the year and even though finals are done you have to be here." movie was Remember the Titans. I loving hate that movie. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's a bunch of sappy middlebrow neo-liberal garbage that pays lip service to the evils of racism but in a safe non-threatening way so white people won't feel bad. That typical, "The 50s/60s were bad but it's okay now. And it's just generally a cliched piece of poo poo movie. And everyone LOVED it. I remember one day the teacher of my TV production class was out so he had a box of movies and among others it was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?

So we did a show of hands thing and almost everyone was hyped about watching Remember the Titans again. I swear to god the school must have got some kind of overstock from a video distributor that was just eight boxes of Remember the Titans. I hate Remember the Titans.

I hate it.

Ours was Dead Poets Society. God, what a piece of poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No TVs scattered throughout playing random movies, 0/10

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I got a smattering of movies during junior high and high school. The two I distinctly remember were Stand and Deliver and Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still hold a massive grudge against the movie Hook because the year above got to watch Wayne's World during a sports afternoon that was cancelled due to weather. I'm sure it's a good film, but it can eat my entire rear end.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hook is not a good film

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Davros1 posted:

Hook is not a good film

Actually Hook is cool and good :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Ours was Dead Poets Society. God, what a piece of poo poo.

For being Peter Weir’s only bad movie, it’s still not that bad