Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Mike/Bill/Kevin all the way for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I doubt they’re going back to Netflix anyway if they’re crowdfunding. Might just be something with Shout/Pluto.

Possibly, but I don't think Shout really made any money off of the Kickstarter itself-they funded the show (and paid the cast and crew) but I don't think there was a ton leftover. My best guess is that any profit they made would've been from selling the show to Netflix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

I’m stuck in the past and wish Joel/Trace/Frank/Kevin would do it.

Trace and Frank do a livestreamed show every month as "The Mads." Next one is the 13th (next Tuesday.)
https://twitter.com/TheMadsAreBack/status/1379438914608451587

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bees x1000 posted:

I’m stuck in the past and wish Joel/Trace/Frank/Kevin would do it.

I just want one more Joel/Trace/Josh collab.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TL posted:

Possibly, but I don't think Shout really made any money off of the Kickstarter itself-they funded the show (and paid the cast and crew) but I don't think there was a ton leftover. My best guess is that any profit they made would've been from selling the show to Netflix.

The main profit would be from selling MST3k DVDs, as well as the original un-MSTed movies. If you'd never seen the show before and you liked the Gauntlet, Shout's making a profit on every episode of the original show you end up buying.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, they definitely didn’t make a profit directly from the last two seasons. The first Kickstarter didn’t actually end up covering their costs. They needed the Netflix money for that. Then the second season was the opposite: the Netflix money didn’t cover their costs, so they ran a second, smaller crowdfunding campaign to make up the difference.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Chaos choice: bill as crow, Jonah, and j Elvis servo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Chaos choice: bill as crow, Jonah, and j Elvis servo

Yes, no, h e l l n o

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I think that one got tanked for being expensive. Happily MST is pretty cheap so it might be feasible.

I think Dark Crystal got tanked for shoving 3 people into a puppet during a pandemic being a bad idea.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, no, h e l l n o

You're dead to me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Over the years I've discovered that I literally almost care not at all who's the host, and who's Crow, but Kevin is just irreplaceable as Servo.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

While the Kickstarter isn’t live yet, it seems people have found the video for it.

https://v.kickstarter.com/1617903926_640398c78adac4003fe3378e86fef2106aae5f04/projects/4107364/video-1097343-h264_high.mp4

In summary: Releasing episodes through their own streaming app, The Gizmoplex. The Kickstarter goals are similar to last time as far as dollar amounts and number of episodes, but with the addition of a 12 shorts if they hit their top goal. By self-releasing they think they can put out episodes one at a time as they’re completed rather than waiting to release a whole season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Goblin Craft posted:

Over the years I've discovered that I literally almost care not at all who's the host, and who's Crow, but Kevin is just irreplaceable as Servo.

To be fair Trace, Bill, and Hampton all typically have a similar tone of voice when playing Crow while most of Tom’s actors sound almost completely different to one another. I prefer Kevin but the other two aren’t bad (though Josh mostly just sounded bored/half asleep a lot of the time).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Josh wasn’t great as Servo, but he was so young that I can’t say I blame him. He was much better as a riffer on Cinematic Titanic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Josh wasn’t great as Servo, but he was so young that I can’t say I blame him. He was much better as a riffer on Cinematic Titanic.

True, I think if he were to take over the role again now he’d probably be a lot better at it to be honest.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My kids are obsessed with watching old America's Funniest Home Videos episodes on Disney+, and I swear I can tell when Trace and Josh are on the writing team just from the cadence of the riffs.

Anyways, I'm super hype to get in on this crowdfunding today.

My dream riffer team is Bill, Jonah and Baron Vaughn.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So no more Emily Marsh? That's kind of a bummer--I liked the energy she brought to things, although I can see why they'd want Jonah for brand continuity and whatever star power he brings to it.

I think Joel's really succeeding in making MST3K more like an institution than a set group of performers who do their thing--the rotating cast thing is feeling more natural every time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So no more Emily Marsh? That's kind of a bummer--I liked the energy she brought to things, although I can see why they'd want Jonah for brand continuity and whatever star power he brings to it.

I think Joel's really succeeding in making MST3K more like an institution than a set group of performers who do their thing--the rotating cast thing is feeling more natural every time.

They always presented her and the rest of her crew as “The cast of MST3K Live”, so they were distinct from the cast of the show itself, but with all the streaming stuff they did in the last year, it certainly felt like they might be going with them when they made a new season.

Ultimately, I’m glad that they appear to have stuck with the Jonah and crew, but honestly it was going to feel like one of the casts was kind of getting screwed no matter who they went with.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where's Rebecca Hanson star of live shows?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So no more Emily Marsh?

We don't know that, at least not yet. There's a zillion ways they could still include her, up to and including "guest host".

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

While the Kickstarter isn’t live yet, it seems people have found the video for it.

https://v.kickstarter.com/1617903926_640398c78adac4003fe3378e86fef2106aae5f04/projects/4107364/video-1097343-h264_high.mp4

In summary: Releasing episodes through their own streaming app, The Gizmoplex. The Kickstarter goals are similar to last time as far as dollar amounts and number of episodes, but with the addition of a 12 shorts if they hit their top goal. By self-releasing they think they can put out episodes one at a time as they’re completed rather than waiting to release a whole season.

Extremely hyped for this. I didn't back their first Kickstarter because I was convinced a revival would be a mistake. New cast and writers ended up completely living up to the lofty heights set by the original series.

Hoping enough people agree with me and I can somehow live in a world of an uncancellable MST3K.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow, new episodes this year if everything goes well. Hot drat, take my money

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I am a little worried about the fact that their goals are basically the same as last time. I’m not so sure that they’ll be able to raise as much the second time around, especially seeing the less positive reaction this seems to be getting so far on some other parts of the internet. I’m personally willing to contribute just as much as last time though.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
good to hear about that release schedule, something about having every episode of the season out and ready to watch didn’t feel right, somehow. and i never even saw the original tv run

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Having only watched og mst3k at midnight and getting insomnia I'm OK with any other release schedule

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Diabolik900 posted:

I am a little worried about the fact that their goals are basically the same as last time. I’m not so sure that they’ll be able to raise as much the second time around, especially seeing the less positive reaction this seems to be getting so far on some other parts of the internet. I’m personally willing to contribute just as much as last time though.

I’m trying to remember if I finished the second season on Netflix. It just didn’t grab me, other than Mac & Me.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

imagining the last minute recording session to replace Har Mar Superstar's vocals on the theme song

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I’m trying to remember if I finished the second season on Netflix. It just didn’t grab me, other than Mac & Me.

there are a lot of eps in both nf seasons i didn’t bother rewatching; starcrash, the weird baby santa one, either of the wizards ones, ator. i don’t really care for fantasy settings, holiday movies annoy me, and starcrash was kind of... boring?

my favorite genres to riff are usually crime/noir/beat/bikers, boring space movies with grey, talky jumpsuited squareheaded guys, poo poo like that

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 7, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

quote not edit

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

nishi koichi posted:

there are a lot of eps in both nf seasons i didn’t bother rewatching; starcrash, the weird baby santa one, either of the wizards ones, ator. i don’t really care for fantasy settings, holiday movies annoy me, and starcrash was kind of... boring?

Completely understand most of these. For us, Christmas that Almost Wasn’t has become part of our holiday rotation now. Also Lords of the Deep doesn’t get enough love.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nishi koichi posted:

my favorite genres to riff are usually crime/noir/beat/bikers, boring space movies with grey, talky jumpsuited squareheaded guys, poo poo like that

this, except exactly the opposite

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

lords of the deep is a good one, yeah.

Empty Sandwich posted:

this, except exactly the opposite

it’s cool that there’s something for everyone

e. vvvv avalanche and carnival magic are my most-watched episodes, i think

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Avalanche and The Day Time Ended are my personal low key favorite Netflix episodes.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in other news, when I got the Kickstarter email, I assumed it was a statement from Joel about Har Mar the harmer

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I judge you very harshly for not liking Ator : The Fighting Eagle

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I still maintain that the best Netflix-era experiment was Cry Wilderness, but there are lots of honorable mentions. Carnival Magic, Mac and Me, The Day Time Ended...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Powered Descent posted:

I still maintain that the best Netflix-era experiment was Cry Wilderness, but there are lots of honorable mentions. Carnival Magic, Mac and Me, The Day Time Ended...

Cry Wilderness is easily in my top 10 episodes of all time. Some many good riffs and it really showed the potential of the new cast.

Carnival Magic and Avalanche are incredibly re-watchable as well.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been trying to get my partner to watch Avalanche with me. She can't stand MST3K but loves 70s chic. No dice so far.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I judge you very harshly for not liking Ator : The Fighting Eagle

i thought cave dwellers was great, actually. if ator was less spidery, i might be able to watch it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Avalanche and The Day Time Ended are my personal low key favorite Netflix episodes.

The Day Time Ended is the only Netflix episode that I have no memory of whatsoever. I'll need to revisit that one.