Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its her most predictable attack but my dumb rear end still keeps getting hosed up by mother’s off screen rush attack lol

i keep getting caught off guard by her pre phase 2 attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
lmao you can put yourself in an unwinnable state for the Isaac's Awakening challenge really easily: The game won't open the post-boss hatch from Downpour II to Mines I until you get the Knife Piece, so if you bomb the mirror and break it before using it, you're stuck forever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Archenteron posted:

lmao you can put yourself in an unwinnable state for the Isaac's Awakening challenge really easily: The game won't open the post-boss hatch from Downpour II to Mines I until you get the Knife Piece, so if you bomb the mirror and break it before using it, you're stuck forever

I guess they figured just giving you the full knife would be too strong, unlike how every challenge that requires Mega Stan gives you the key to begin with. But it does lead to odd jank like that. But I mean, better that it stops you there, you can't win the run anymore anyways.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mom's Box works with Perfection. Free +20 luck if you can Gulp! it as the Lost.
Combine with any tear effect to win the game, Ghost pepper basically turns into a very long shielding spear that you point at bosses with boss amour and they melt in seconds.

edit; dead cat helped me beat the final boss as Lost, if you die during any of Dogma's phases, you respawn outside of the boss room and have to start all over. If you die during the horsemen/beast, you revive instantly where you are, but don't get the Holy mantle back.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 7, 2021

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
is there a good resource to learn the game other than keeping platinumgod open in a second monitor? i've never really gotten past the "get to womb regularly" stage of gameplay since the flash version

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lol you guys weren't kidding about Psy Fly. Make sure you collect your free hard mode Hush wins before it's patched

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I used to despise Greed mode, but the Angel room buff has made it much more tolerable. Ultra Greed must be sick of me rolling up to him with Sacred Heart every time by now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I can't figure out how to hack the game so I can skip greed mode. You can't even spawn a greed donation machine via the console anymore because machines are unspawnable now. I tried some cheat engine alternatives but way too many variables are popping up to figure out which one corresponds to the machine.

The only reason I care is to get the holy mantle for Downpour 2 (which is a pretty big deal for every character).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

greed mode is cool

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

No Wave posted:

I can't figure out how to hack the game so I can skip greed mode. You can't even spawn a greed donation machine via the console anymore because machines are unspawnable now. I tried some cheat engine alternatives but way too many variables are popping up to figure out which one corresponds to the machine.

The only reason I care is to get the holy mantle for Downpour 2 (which is a pretty big deal for every character).

https://www.reddit.com/r/themoddingofisaac/comments/3t3lp5/how_to_use_cheat_engine_to_max_out_the_greed/

You should be able to do this, but set the final number to Holy Mantle Lost minus 1.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/themoddingofisaac/comments/3t3lp5/how_to_use_cheat_engine_to_max_out_the_greed/

You should be able to do this, but set the final number to Holy Mantle Lost minus 1.

Isn't the latest version of Cheat Engine filled with malware/adware on the installer? I have been trying to find a clean/portable version but can't find it anywhere.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is the greed character you unlock actually fun to play as? or is it just another challenge one that sucks? i got some ways into greed mode last time i played but idk if i want to grind out the rest now that i suck

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The greed mode unlock that's an issue is the 879 coin unlock which gives the lost holy mantle by default. This a.) turns him into a character you'd actually want to play and b.) comes equipped on the version of the lost you transform into during the downpour 2 mirror thing which can actually enable you to pick up another boss item every run on any character.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Ty.... I was having the same issue with the cheat engine installation that the poster above me mentioned (windows doesn't even want to let me install it), I'll try to figure it out.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Isn't the latest version of Cheat Engine filled with malware/adware on the installer? I have been trying to find a clean/portable version but can't find it anywhere.

I'm no expert on Cheat Engine, but bear in mind its use is to inject values into other processes memory, i.e. it could legitimately be called malware or detected as such when used for its intended purpose.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is the greed character you unlock actually fun to play as? or is it just another challenge one that sucks? i got some ways into greed mode last time i played but idk if i want to grind out the rest now that i suck

The greed character used to suck poo poo in AB/AB+, but repentance changed him so much that he's actually fun to play now.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

..btt posted:

I'm no expert on Cheat Engine, but bear in mind its use is to inject values into other processes memory, i.e. it could legitimately be called malware or detected as such when used for its intended purpose.

No, I already know that, but I've read it forces you to install adware too with the program, not that the program itself is malware.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

No, I already know that, but I've read it forces you to install adware too with the program, not that the program itself is malware.

I'm pretty sure it has had Avast bundled since forever, now it also has some Mcafee thing, but you can just decline them both with one button press.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

It doesn't. It just does the thing a lot of free software does where it offers to install browser toolbars or whatever during installation, but you can just click "no" or "skip" or whatever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Clearing out challenges on my new file for unlocks and let me tell you, Cat Got Your Tongue is even less fun when dealing damage as Guppy has a 50% chance to spawn a fly down from 100%! Still doable but jesus add that to the list of things to do before starting the expansion.

edit: As always, posting to bitch about it did the trick. Got a Book of Virtues from one of the library treasure rooms on the second floor (which is a very nice upgrade to that item pool) and rolled it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 7, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So glad I powered through the AB+ content a year ago.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Am I missing something? I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Repentance so far. Trying to go for Mom kill on normal and even that seems loving impossible. Key, soul heart, and bomb drops seem reduced, half the time I have no keys to open anything on Dross 1 or 2. Dross enemies/patterns are loving ridiculous with standard Isaac stats so devil deals are way harder. I've made it to the Knife forging process multiple times and just get run the gently caress over by whatever the big face is. How can I juke on a 3 square wide corridor when the face is approaching from that same angle?

It's not like I'm a bad Isaac player, I got full completion on AB+ and this just seems significantly harder.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The face hitbox is really small. It's really just the face, not the whole black cloud. Spend a run trying to see what the hitbox is and you'll see how fair/doable it is.

I haven't had key issues on normal at all but maybe I've just been lucky. Dross is indeed hard as hell and I tend to skip dross 1 and open the door on the next floor (as downpour/dross 1 doesn't get you anything except a slightly better item room).

I agree that devil deals were nerfed very, very hard which makes finding secret rooms and doing challenge rooms/spike door rooms more important for getting my runs in order.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

Am I missing something? I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Repentance so far. Trying to go for Mom kill on normal and even that seems loving impossible. Key, soul heart, and bomb drops seem reduced, half the time I have no keys to open anything on Dross 1 or 2. Dross enemies/patterns are loving ridiculous with standard Isaac stats so devil deals are way harder. I've made it to the Knife forging process multiple times and just get run the gently caress over by whatever the big face is. How can I juke on a 3 square wide corridor when the face is approaching from that same angle?

It's not like I'm a bad Isaac player, I got full completion on AB+ and this just seems significantly harder.

My tips for the big face:

- Take your time in the big rooms. It is easy to dodge if you get the timing down and make sure you have enough space. That may mean even reversing into an earlier room.

- Rush through the thin room. Nearly all of those you have the time to solve the minor puzzle and push through to the door without having an attack trigger at all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the face is sneakily easy to dodge. it will roar before every attack and just make sure you are moving at some lateral angle immediately after that. it might help to wait in an area with a little more space until you can dodge it and then move forward, but honestly you can probably do it with just like three blocks if you start in the furthest block and then move toward the nearest most one as soon as it roars

cant really help you with the rest, i just did my first runs on normal in probably 100 hours yesterday and found it was pretty trivial to at least get to the second stage of the tv, even with alt-isaac where i cant just load up with a jillion items

ive also already been in the habit of always skipping devil rooms in favor of trying to get angel rooms and it seems like that strategy is buffed in this version so

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 7, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The attack timing does not reset in between rooms either, so if you're going into a thin room, you want to wait for an attack you can dodge in the big room before going into the thin room.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The gauntlet after the second knife piece is pretty easy if you take your time. The first few times I did it I lost most of my health every time but now I pretty much never take damage on it. Its charges are predictably timed with a generous tell and the hitbox is tiny.

The alt path made me realise how complacent i'd gotten with the old game though, I have like 2000 hours of streaking with Isaac and had a safe routine to win every time but now there's tons of new patterns to learn and things that make me think differently about situations. It took me 10-15 attempts to get a mother kill but it's getting gradually easier each playthrough now that I'm learning the patterns.

My biggest gripe is that everything seems a lot harder to see. A lot of the floors are darker than they used to be and the new curse of darkness makes it almost impossible to see anything.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

yeah echoing just to slow the gently caress down during the mom face gauntlet and you'll be fine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah curse of darkness is a chore I can do without. Curse of the maze seems to barely do anything.

I remember hearing the claim that pills were buffed but I'm pretty medium on them. I tend to pick them early in runs but not late, though the more bad pills I've seen the more I use ??? pills. Maybe that's intentional and they're supposed to be tactical idk.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The face chase part I kind of wish theyd only make you do it once per character or something--its the only part of the alt path stuff I find tedious to do again and again

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah agreed. It's a neat little gimmick the first time but it takes ages and doesn't change at all with your build (you even lose access to your items and get your speed reset so those don't matter). I guess removing the gauntlet means you could potentially take the Knife into the Hush path but I don't think that matters too much.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, the transformation on Downpour/Dross II is a big deal. There are normally one or two things on the main floor easily accessible with flight, holy mantle means a free sacrifice room, you have a level’s worth of relatively safe pickups from the other side of the mirror, and there’s another boss item for the taking if you’re feeling spicy. It can even be worth just running into the fire as soon as you find it on the grounds that it protects you from chip damage for the floor. Downpour/Dross I, on the other hand, is almost never worth it - you end up losing all your soul hearts and screwing up your devil/angel deal chances for the rest of the run in exchange for what is essentially a single item room reroll.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm seeing someone on Twitch cheesing item unlocks for multiple characters by starting co-op and playing a strong character like Bethany and letting a character like Jacob and Esau hang out at room entrances or die. They just unlocked Jacob's and Bethany's boss rush items at the same time, even though the former was dead.

Not sure if that gives post-it note completions, but something to consider if you want the unlocks.

e. It does give post it note completion marks for the co-op characters. Take advantage while you can, if you want. It'll prob be patched out.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 7, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. The Dross II transformation often gets me extra health and critical pickups which are scarce in hard mode. That means it's almost always worth the entry price of 1 key, while sometimes on Dross I you can miss the item room due to lack of keys and thus be worse off than if you just did Basement II.

The bonus you get from Mines 2 is completing the knife, which I guess is pretty substantial but I don't like to do the gauntlet when I don't have to since it takes ages. For Gehenna you get a whole extra item room and shop you wouldn't normally get (Gehenna II replaces Womb I) but the cost of entry is steep and you have to do two very punishing floors.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I found an annoying bug with the second to last secret boss.

Got to Dogma for the first time thanks to a fun Mom's Knife run. I had 9 Lives and pretty low health. I got the killing blow on Dogma just as an angel feather took my last half-heart of health. The screen misted over with static like it does when Dogma dies and I thought it was going to credit me with the win. But nope, it respawned me outside the room...and the static effect stayed. I tried the fight three times with basically 95% opacity TV static on my screen but eventually gave up. It seems winnable without taking a hit, but not if I can't see poo poo - and especially when the boss and its attacks are the same color/pattern as the static screen.

Oh well, at least I unlocked alt-Eden and I can come back another time. Just...annoying.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Yeah curse of darkness is a chore I can do without. Curse of the maze seems to barely do anything.

I remember hearing the claim that pills were buffed but I'm pretty medium on them. I tend to pick them early in runs but not late, though the more bad pills I've seen the more I use ??? pills. Maybe that's intentional and they're supposed to be tactical idk.

Not sure if I'd say pills are buffed but they're definitely more impactful. You're a lot more likely in Repentance to get stat-affecting ones than Paralysis and poo poo like that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh my god, technology now adds gradually intensifying pew-pew-pew sounds as you get more damage ups. This DLC is the best.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Repentance added 4 largely worthless pills and nerfed the best one (I'm Drowsy) so I don't know how you could claim it's a buff to pills. That said I think it's probably still worth taking them, effects like I'm Drowsy (unless the nerf damaged it more than I thought) and Percs are so huge in the final fights.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My issue with pills is One Makes You Larger can make me lose a run. It's so brutal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't actually increase the size of your hitbox. Pretty distressing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The way Repentance buffed pills isn't by adding new ones, it's by changing the rotation so the worthless ones like ??? and Bad Gas show up much less often in runs. I've been having pretty good luck eating every pill I see. (Also Cain is top-tier now that Lucky Foot is un-nerfed.)