Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lib and let die posted:

If you're not putting malt vinegar on your fries you're wrong

I only do that at Five Guys.

E: What a lovely loving snipe.

Uh... a friend gets into arguments/discussions with his Boomer mother all the time about poo poo like livable wages. She's under the delusion that minimum wage jobs are meant to be stepping stones you're only in for a little while and that she doesn't think people working forty hours at a minimum wage job deserve to be able to support themselves.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

iT's a sTaRTer joB!!!!!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

iT's a sTaRTer joB!!!!!!

THIS IS A FINISHER JOB!! A CAREER OF THE GODS!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I only do that at Five Guys.

E: What a lovely loving snipe.

Uh... a friend gets into arguments/discussions with his Boomer mother all the time about poo poo like livable wages. She's under the delusion that minimum wage jobs are meant to be stepping stones you're only in for a little while and that she doesn't think people working forty hours at a minimum wage job deserve to be able to support themselves.

Threaten to put her in a home staffed by minimum wage carers.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've worked side by side with boomers in factories who were "grandfathered in" to pensions and higher wages and other benefits that someone being hired on in the last 10 years will NEVER be able to get at the same job. I'm talking being paid $14/hr with two week's vacation and a decent 401k match to perform the same exact tasks to the same exact standards as a guy making $30/hr with 12 weeks PTO and fully funded pension right next to you. These people almost universally despised minimum wage workers, opposed any efforts to help the poor, and expect people to "work their way up" like they did. When I pointed out that it's literally impossible to get where they are for new people coming into the same job, hourly rates were capped at $18/hr for this position, and every year benefits dwindle or are dropped entirely, they either have nothing to say or would respond that I shouldn't have started working here, and that they never would have either if they had to start over today and were compensated for their labor like I was.

How can you hold the opinion that the job environment today is incredibly lovely, and that people aren't paid wait their labor is worth, and at the same time blame the employee and not the company? Fuckin boomers, man. They got theirs, gently caress the rest of us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And tend to go quiet and then immediately forget when you tell them that minimum wage was specifically introduced to be a living wage that an entire family could survive on.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A coworker thought one of our servers was down, but it was just an alert for high cpu usage. On our group teams chat:

me posted:

the cpu alert is just for when it's running high, it could still report the other sensors. I've upped the limit at which it starts to moan

my boss posted:

I wish could do that with the wife and MIL....

I wanna ok boomer him so bad

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And tend to go quiet and then immediately forget when you tell them that minimum wage was specifically introduced to be a living wage that an entire family could survive on.

Someone said that "starter job" poo poo on Facebook years ago and they deleted their comment when I quoted FDR saying this very thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Reynold posted:

I've worked side by side with boomers in factories who were "grandfathered in" to pensions and higher wages and other benefits that someone being hired on in the last 10 years will NEVER be able to get at the same job. I'm talking being paid $14/hr with two week's vacation and a decent 401k match to perform the same exact tasks to the same exact standards as a guy making $30/hr with 12 weeks PTO and fully funded pension right next to you. These people almost universally despised minimum wage workers, opposed any efforts to help the poor, and expect people to "work their way up" like they did. When I pointed out that it's literally impossible to get where they are for new people coming into the same job, hourly rates were capped at $18/hr for this position, and every year benefits dwindle or are dropped entirely, they either have nothing to say or would respond that I shouldn't have started working here, and that they never would have either if they had to start over today and were compensated for their labor like I was.

How can you hold the opinion that the job environment today is incredibly lovely, and that people aren't paid wait their labor is worth, and at the same time blame the employee and not the company? Fuckin boomers, man. They got theirs, gently caress the rest of us.
And boomers will use this entire arguement to try to justify why unions shouldn't exist - "Why should some entitled rear end in a top hat get away with making twice what you make while you work harder than him?" they'll ask, pretending like the alternative is a better kind of meritocracy.

Even in a 'good' union it's challenging to maintain solidarity among the entire local. You have some members that are a single person in their twenties, others that have families/caring for elderly parents, and finally some are trying to retire soon. Each group has different priorities which makes it really easy for management to drive a wedge between the demographic groups.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bitterandtwisted posted:

A coworker thought one of our servers was down, but it was just an alert for high cpu usage. On our group teams chat:

I wanna ok boomer him so bad

Like the coworker: Ignore it
Don't like the coworker: Anonymous screenshot to HR

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Batterypowered7 posted:

"Fast food jobs are just for high school kids!"

Okay then who's working the drive-thru for your Tuesday afternoon lunch break?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

"Fast food jobs are just for high school kids!"

Okay then who's working the drive-thru for your Tuesday afternoon lunch break?

Argument also falls apart if you consider for one second that if these jobs are meant to be temporary you'd literally run out of people to do them eventually.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Batterypowered7 posted:

Argument also falls apart if you consider for one second that if these jobs are meant to be temporary you'd literally run out of people to do them eventually.

Well there's your argument against birth control and abortion.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Outrail posted:

Like the coworker: Ignore it
Don't like the coworker: Anonymous screenshot to HR

Does HR really care if people make jokes about their mother in law complaining?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm not reporting my boss for making mother in law jokes lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm not reporting my boss for making mother in law jokes lol

gently caress my bad I thought it was a sex thing lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Picnic Princess posted:

I've had french fries drizzled in kewpie mayo and katsu sauce, sprinkled with shredded nori and bonito flakes. It's loving good. I sometimes make it at home because why not.

Live fat, die young.

I get what's basically the entire inside of a burrito on top of fries way too often. It's just too good.

Also sometimes get a Greek style with shawarma, feta, tahini, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley and sumac onions over fries. Mmmmm

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Outrail posted:

gently caress my bad I thought it was a sex thing lol

Depends on the context. A boomer talking about moaning wife and MIL
- at work: boomer complaining
- at The Villages: a sex thing

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Boomers love to have a broken down vehicle they say they’re going to repair any day now, when it’s been sitting around for at least 10 years with almost no work done on it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Boomer family friend: and what do you do for work?

Me: (explains fairly straightforward role without using jargon)

Boomer: do you mind translating what that is?!

Nice guy but prone to stuff like this. When I mentioned we enjoyed a trip to NYC his first question was if we were mugged (in front of the M&Ms store?!) Also mentioned that a hiccup with his office working from home was constantly needing to start new Zoom meetings when they hit their time limit. We use Google Meet so I don't know Zoom well, but shouldn't a business pay for a license if they time out every day?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also mentioned that a hiccup with his office working from home was constantly needing to start new Zoom meetings when they hit their time limit. We use Google Meet so I don't know Zoom well, but shouldn't a business pay for a license if they time out every day?

I work at a large company with over 10,000 employees, mostly engineering and office work. We have a lot of meetings and a lot of people working remotely right now. The IT dept pushed out the free zoom with the 40 minute time limit in early 2020. There's probably a byzantine process requiring director approvals to get a license for yourself if you need to support off-site customer meetings or something, but internally we are expected to do exactly what your boomer family friend complained about. Most people resort to using Skype For Business instead to get around it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also mentioned that a hiccup with his office working from home was constantly needing to start new Zoom meetings when they hit their time limit. We use Google Meet so I don't know Zoom well, but shouldn't a business pay for a license if they time out every day?

Yeah sounds like someone is penny-pinching something fierce. Only the meeting host needs a paid licence for group meetings over 40 minutes.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Boomer family friend: and what do you do for work?

Me: (explains fairly straightforward role without using jargon)

Boomer: do you mind translating what that is?!

Nice guy but prone to stuff like this. When I mentioned we enjoyed a trip to NYC his first question was if we were mugged (in front of the M&Ms store?!) Also mentioned that a hiccup with his office working from home was constantly needing to start new Zoom meetings when they hit their time limit. We use Google Meet so I don't know Zoom well, but shouldn't a business pay for a license if they time out every day?

if it was really that important, they would have done it by now, and they haven't... so...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bobjr posted:

Boomers love to have a broken down vehicle they say they’re going to repair any day now, when it’s been sitting around for at least 10 years with almost no work done on it.

This describes all of my vehicles at any point of my life .

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I accidently posted something for the work thread here - too much overlap. To try to contribute: My boomer bosses really want to bring everyone back into the office though because nothing must change.

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 8, 2021

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My favorite boomer move lately is when they ignore the signage and rules that have been in place for a whole goddamn year with regards to masks and walk into the restaurant without one on. When they're confronted about it by the young hostess, they pull one out of their pocket, make a big show about having to do what a "child" tells them to do, put it on, and are then allowed to proceed. After they've had their food and drinks, they stand up to leave, mask in hand. They look around with a smug smile and make eye contact with the clearly disillusioned staff, knowing that they can't really do anything about it at that point, and walk out through the rest of the dining area without putting it on. What righteous triumph they must feel, having thrown off the shackles of such an oppressive pub they visited without tipping during a pandemic.

My girlfriend works with the public as well, and has noticed that people in the well-off side of town aren't wearing masks anymore. She complained about this to her boomer mother, who cheerfully replied "Good, I'm glad to see things are finally getting back to normal!" This anti-vax/mask shut-in woman is elderly and has been in ill health for decades, and would probably fuckin die if she ever once left her home and encountered someone with the virus, but sits on the couch watching Fox and cheerleading every ignorant and irresponsible thing spewed by politicians and talking heads like she's on the side of some oppressed minority that's finally seeing the tide turn against her cruel overlords after a lifetime of dehumanization and humiliation (masks for a year).

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

This might be more of a chud thing than a boomer thing, but after moving to a more conservative state, I’m shocked at the number of boomers that think they’re owning the libs somehow by being fat and sedentary and not eating healthy food. One of my relatives here actually lost a friend after losing weight and was called a vain liberal or some bullshit. My grandparents’ generation would’ve fat shamed the gently caress out of these people so I’m pretty sure this phenomenon was invented by boomers.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm not sure if being fat and unhealthy to own the libs is a boomer thing or just an American thing. I had people making fun of me at work a few years ago because I would drink water instead of soda all the time. Having a vegetarian friend also showed me the way people say "rabbit food" with a sneering condemnation because how dare someone not eat meat and potatoes for every meal. Work bought donuts and you're only having one? Clearly I'm judging everyone else for being fat.

I'm not saying there is fit discrimation in this country but too many people have a weird hang up when it comes to someone trying to eat healthy or take care of themselves, like its a personal slight against them.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

limp_cheese posted:

I'm not sure if being fat and unhealthy to own the libs is a boomer thing or just an American thing. I had people making fun of me at work a few years ago because I would drink water instead of soda all the time. Having a vegetarian friend also showed me the way people say "rabbit food" with a sneering condemnation because how dare someone not eat meat and potatoes for every meal. Work bought donuts and you're only having one? Clearly I'm judging everyone else for being fat.

I'm not saying there is fit discrimation in this country but too many people have a weird hang up when it comes to someone trying to eat healthy or take care of themselves, like its a personal slight against them.

it's not purely american either. people just don't like admitting that they aren't perfect, so they pre-emptively deflect their own guilt onto other people. it's like a defensive mechanism for a lot of people and applies to so many things.

you don't have to actually criticize them at all to trigger it. they know there is a criticism to be made at some level, and they want to get out ahead of it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

Boomer Thread: like its a personal slight against them.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
The "vegetables are rabbit food" this has always hit a nerve with me because my older brother who was born in 81 but is a boomer at heart has always taken a weird pride in not only not eating vegetable but also eating just lovely low quality food in general. He was once very proud to show me a picture of the "cheese" plate he brought to a friends party which consisted of Ritz crackers, a canister of chez-wiz, and a block of kraft cheddar with a tacti-cool knife stabbed into it. Another time while out to a family dinner he ordered a steak and I got a vegetable stir-fry and he out of nowhere smugly and let me know that my dinner is what his dinner eats.

It should be noted that he's fairly out of shape and quite unhealthy.

I just don't understand where this mindset comes from that you're some sort of cool and tough rebel for eating poo poo and not being able to run 50 feet.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Andos El Pantos posted:

The "vegetables are rabbit food" this has always hit a nerve with me because my older brother who was born in 81 but is a boomer at heart has always taken a weird pride in not only not eating vegetable but also eating just lovely low quality food in general. He was once very proud to show me a picture of the "cheese" plate he brought to a friends party which consisted of Ritz crackers, a canister of chez-wiz, and a block of kraft cheddar with a tacti-cool knife stabbed into it. Another time while out to a family dinner he ordered a steak and I got a vegetable stir-fry and he out of nowhere smugly and let me know that my dinner is what his dinner eats.

I just don't understand where this mindset comes from that you're some sort of cool and tough rebel for eating poo poo and not being able to run 50 feet.

heh why would i need to run i ain't no coward i'll stand my ground and kick your rear end and/or shoot you

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

ben shapino posted:

heh why would i need to run i ain't no coward i'll stand my ground and kick your rear end and/or shoot you

Oh god, that just recalled a terrible post one of his friends made to facebook a few years back. I can't recall it verbatim but the jist was exactly that. Something along of the lines of "why would I need a 200lbs bench press when the trigger pressure on my pistol is only x lbs"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Andos El Pantos posted:

processed food has 10, 100x the ad budget of non-processed. livestock operator associations also do successful ad campaigns

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Andos El Pantos posted:

Oh god, that just recalled a terrible post one of his friends made to facebook a few years back. I can't recall it verbatim but the jist was exactly that. Something along of the lines of "why would I need a 200lbs bench press when the trigger pressure on my pistol is only x lbs"

they also generally believe they could knock someone out in one good punch as long as the other guy "doesn't like sucker punch me or some pussy poo poo" and would still talk poo poo even after getting their rear end beat. it's just dumb ego poo poo distilled in all it's pathetic glory.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There was a guy at my work that would pride himself on 'never eating anything green' because that's all 'rabbit food' for 'weaklings'. One day someone in the shop saw him drinking Mt Dew and teased him about it being green and I think it broke his brain. Now he doesn't drink Mt Dew, picks out green M&Ms, picks green sprinkles off of sprinkled donuts, etc. literally never eating anything the color green.

In any case since I have described this guy's diet in terms of candy, donuts, soda, and no vegetables you can probably guess what he looked like.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The comments I would get would also be paired with some variation of "I could NEVER be as fit as you, I can't live at the gym." I would always tell them I don't excersize as much as they think and with just a few small changes to their diet and SOME kind of excersize they could see results as well. There is usually some excuse along the lines of "I can't get in shape, I doubt I could even do a pushup!" like that is some kind of badge of honor. I tell them everyone has to start somewhere and I didn't just wake up one day like this and its never too late to start! I'll even give them some advice on what the small changes can look like. Instead of having 4 cans of soda a day have 2 and replace the other ones with water. Small but you'll see results.

Nope, that's all too hard and they can never be like me as they eat their 3rd donut and wash it down with a coke.

This is probably getting outside the scope of the "Let's complain about Boomers" thread so I'll stop here.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Saint Freak posted:

There was a guy at my work that would pride himself on 'never eating anything green' because that's all 'rabbit food' for 'weaklings'. One day someone in the shop saw him drinking Mt Dew and teased him about it being green and I think it broke his brain. Now he doesn't drink Mt Dew, picks out green M&Ms, picks green sprinkles off of sprinkled donuts, etc. literally never eating anything the color green.

In any case since I have described this guy's diet in terms of candy, donuts, soda, and no vegetables you can probably guess what he looked like.

Lol wow. I had a roommate who ate like that, with a focus on giant bags of candy. He was a good dude and a gym instructor so still in shape and I thought he had super genes so all that sugar didn't harm him. Then he went to the dentist after a 10 year break when the pain got too much and learned no, oh no, you need major surgery.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The rabbit food talk reminds me of boomers calling sushi “fish bait”

Where does this all come from? They all have the exact same bad jokes and catch phrases and “gotchas” as if they’re getting marching orders from some sort of boomer handbook.

limp_cheese posted:

The comments I would get would also be paired with some variation of "I could NEVER be as fit as you, I can't live at the gym." I would always tell them I don't excersize as much as they think and with just a few small changes to their diet and SOME kind of excersize they could see results as well. There is usually some excuse along the lines of "I can't get in shape, I doubt I could even do a pushup!" like that is some kind of badge of honor. I tell them everyone has to start somewhere and I didn't just wake up one day like this and its never too late to start! I'll even give them some advice on what the small changes can look like. Instead of having 4 cans of soda a day have 2 and replace the other ones with water. Small but you'll see results.

Nope, that's all too hard and they can never be like me as they eat their 3rd donut and wash it down with a coke.

This is probably getting outside the scope of the "Let's complain about Boomers" thread so I'll stop here.

“Well I can’t run/lift/whatever I have bad knees/joints/back” (because I have literally never exercised my entire life and have zero strength)

boomer is a mindset not an age, it just happens to disproportionately manifest itself in boomer aged people

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The fish bait thing goes back a ways; Larry the Cable Guy said it in one of his movies, and I think Crocodile Dundee had a joke about it. But basically having a joke that is funny to a specific group of people and offensive to others seems to give it a kind of 'power' I guess which is why they repeat it so much.