Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive got a list of monsters I only know about from osmosis as being monsters that are nightmares to fight. Some of those are Deviljho, Tigrex, Rajang, and Narg was one of those. Actually fought it last night and completely beat its rear end, the only time it even hit me was with the backflip move that comes out super fast. Hoping the other ones arent so bad in HR now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hate fighting HR Diablos because gently caress any enemy that can jump out of the ground or walls, even if it's telegraphed.

Cutting off its horns is incredibly satisfying though.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My pro DB tip: the kunai hit wirebug move is a trap and should be avoided. Constant access to the dodge to keep pressure on the monster is preferable to a slow charging big* hit

*if you land the follow-ups.

Seconding this. The extra damage you would get from the Kunai is completely negated by just hitting the monster more instead. Once I stopped doing it my fights got much easier.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

stev posted:

I'm against the idea that a well done steak is better than a rare steak on principle. Correct this mess Capcom.

Maybe well done just means they've done it well as in, they executed it perfectly.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

stev posted:

I hate fighting HR Diablos because gently caress any enemy that can jump out of the ground or walls, even if it's telegraphed.

Cutting off its horns is incredibly satisfying though.

I have and will always fight Diablos with a lance, exclusively.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

No one ever sends me their guild cards :smith:

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I agree that'd be for the best.

It sorta feels like with Weakness Exploit, they recognized that it's such an obviously good skill that it's a no-brainer to include in your build if you can, so they made it pretty rare, but all that really did is push everyone to fish for the same thing on talismans and wear the same two pieces of armor until they get it. If the issue is that Weakness Exploit is too obviously good and muscles out other skills, maybe the issue is just that... Weakness Exploit is too good, rather than it being too readily available.

Anyway the point is that making everything available as a deco would allow for maximum freedom and versatility and I'd enjoy that quite a bit.

Question — how does weakness exploit work in Rise without the clutch claw and wounding mechanics? I know there’s that one dog weapon that creates a weak spot, but that can’t be the only way.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

new kind of cat posted:

Question — how does weakness exploit work in Rise without the clutch claw and wounding mechanics? I know there’s that one dog weapon that creates a weak spot, but that can’t be the only way.

Basically how it worked pre-Iceborne. You hit a monster's weakpoint (orange numbers are usually enough I think) and you get 50% affinity at max level.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Seconding this. The extra damage you would get from the Kunai is completely negated by just hitting the monster more instead. Once I stopped doing it my fights got much easier.

Hell is you line it up right you do as much damage with the dodge. Especially through roars or big hits that don’t cause the monster to move much.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think i want to try other weapons more, but nothing is as cool as stabbing something with a big gunlance and then exploding it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

thebardyspoon posted:

Maybe well done just means they've done it well as in, they executed it perfectly.

I think it's this. There's a vast difference between a properly seared roast with a beautiful rare/medium rare interior and one where you don't get the exterior right and just kind of have a warm piece of vaguely brown meat.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can tell yourself well-done means whatever you want, but the other type of steak you can get in the game is clearly called 'rare'.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How does Rise load so quickly?! What sorcery did Capcom do to the Switch?

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Basically how it worked pre-Iceborne. You hit a monster's weakpoint (orange numbers are usually enough I think) and you get 50% affinity at max level.

lol holy poo poo. gotcha

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The further I get, the more I realize that Brachydios didn’t make the cut :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The further I get, the more I realize that Brachydios didn’t make the cut :(

I hope they bring raging back. :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

You can tell yourself well-done means whatever you want, but the other type of steak you can get in the game is clearly called 'rare'.

My personal rationalization is that the cut of meat they show you cooking is the kind that would be extremely tough if served rare, though that does clash with the term "steak" so perhaps everyone in Monster Hunter land just eats steak wrong

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's a split second between 'well done' and 'burned' so it must be fully cooked through.

e: And why the hell can't I cook the meat of a large monster? Anjanaths look like they'd be delicious.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 7, 2021

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Harrow posted:

My personal rationalization is that the cut of meat they show you cooking is the kind that would be extremely tough if served rare, though that does clash with the term "steak" so perhaps everyone in Monster Hunter land just eats steak wrong

With all the weird bugs and stuff in Monster Hunter land it's probably a safety precaution so you don't get monster parasites.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Alright, I picked up heavy bowgun because apparently I like weapons most people don't play (glaive, bow) according to the poll.

Any tips from those following the way of the dakka? I see the appeal, but I've carted more doing HBG than any other weapon (that may have to do with trying to do HR stuff alone with LR armor) and failed my first quest (but that may be because snail and I had a comm error so those two Volvidon had multiplayer-quest HP).

I'm using the Steel Assault gun, which even looking at the others I could make might be my favorite. I prefer Heart to Snipe, and I like slice, pierce, and sticky ammo. I'm bringing extra mats to craft more ammo mid-quest, saving wyvernheart for when they're asleep, and trying to remember that the counter is two bugs (as opposed to the lance's one). Anything else?

e: after my last quest I finished Hunter S and upgraded it a bunch so maybe now I can take a punch in HR a little better.

wuggles fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 7, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Aww yeah, I made a gathering armor sets. I took my botanist set out for a spin and now I'm swimming in fire herbs and can make my first GL. :D

Edit: I forgot to ask which SnS switch skill people prefer. Advancing it Sliding Slaah? I spent a bunch of time playing Aerial style in GU. Now I have even more options to get myself into the air! What's the point of staying on the ground when I could be dropping out of the sky to crack skulls with my shield? Or driving down to cut tails? I can't think of a compelling reason to ever use Advancing Slash again.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 7, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Harrow posted:

Honestly we don't know the risk levels of different meat temperatures of monsters. Maybe they are toxic if not fully cooked. Maybe they are full of parasites and eating undercooked meat is how you get little monsters in your intestines that eat you from the inside out.

If it's from a cow medium-rare is perfection but rare is better than medium-well, medium well being the still edible gently caress up. If you get to well done you ruined it take out whatever sauces you want to attempt to make it into food so you don't go hungry.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I really don't like the decision this game shares with world to have 20+ impact charge blades where there are maybe 2 you would use, and one each of elemental that you likely don't even have access to for most of the game and if the CB of a particular element happens to suck, well thems the breaks.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

pixaal posted:

Honestly we don't know the risk levels of different meat temperatures of monsters. Maybe they are toxic if not fully cooked. Maybe they are full of parasites and eating undercooked meat is how you get little monsters in your intestines that eat you from the inside out.

If it's from a cow medium-rare is perfection but rare is better than medium-well, medium well being the still edible gently caress up. If you get to well done you ruined it take out whatever sauces you want to attempt to make it into food so you don't go hungry.

I'm fully in support of the idea that eating Chameleos meat makes you trip balls and die if not cooked properly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

stev posted:

There's a split second between 'well done' and 'burned' so it must be fully cooked through.

e: And why the hell can't I cook the meat of a large monster? Anjanaths look like they'd be delicious.

You can give the tails to the Motley Mix to make steaks. Most of the tails have some description talking about how they're a delicacy, or things like that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

wuggles posted:

Alright, I picked up heavy bowgun because apparently I like weapons most people don't play (glaive, bow) according to the poll.

Any tips from those following the way of the dakka? I see the appeal, but I've carted more doing HBG than any other weapon (that may have to do with trying to do HR stuff alone with LR armor) and failed my first quest (but that may be because snail and I had a comm error so those two Volvidon had multiplayer-quest HP).

I'm using the Steel Assault gun, which even looking at the others I could make might be my favorite. I prefer Heart to Snipe, and I like slice, pierce, and sticky ammo. I'm bringing extra mats to craft more ammo mid-quest, saving wyvernheart for when they're asleep, and trying to remember that the counter is two bugs (as opposed to the lance's one). Anything else?

e: after my last quest I finished Hunter S and upgraded it a bunch so maybe now I can take a punch in HR a little better.

I still play HBG because the Rakna HBG looks awesome but I agree with Phemeto's synopsis @10:30: "HBG hits for 169 on dummy, LBG hits for 161....Why use HBG?" Phemeto also concludes in the video that charging shots isn't worth it over just shooting uncharged shots faster with the exception of low ammo capacity rounds like clusters or sticky shots. (e: in the part 2 video he recommends charging slicing shots, I had no idea they were so good).

e:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

:siren:Spoilers in the vids:siren:

Hey fyi, while i do think these videos are highly informative, the dude making them completely spoils one of the final monsters for no drat reason

Please put a spoiler warning or something cause it really sucks seeing that. I dont know why that guy had that specific footage when he could have used any other monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XTp1o4OKW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSD3FlGC4M

I'm using the Rakna HBG for pierce but if you're just hitting HR you won't have access to that for some time. Once you get the single bug parry switch skill (which also requires a higher rank?) you can try playing less safe by using a power barrel instead of a shield. Shield with a spread bowgun (tetranodon) is probably still fun and good, but probably not as good as a rapid fire spread LBG. I still use wyvernsnipe guns but I rarely ever use the snipe feature because I'd rather just keep using my ammo than spend a few seconds not shooting because loading the snipe round and getting into position takes so long.

Get your sub-camp unlocks out of the way: https://www.polygon.com/monster-hun...st-lava-caverns

When the monster changes zones you can just fast travel into a camp by holding - and refill your items/ammo in the tent. It's still good to carry ammo crafting material for when you don't want to go back to camp. You can also add ammo crafting buttons to the radial wheel to quickly craft a full load of ammo.

If you haven't already you'll want to get a geology set/decos together and farm mining outcrop upsurge expeditions for money to stockpile ammo during a sale.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 7, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want to get into gunning someday. Bow looks fun and fancy and LBG is a lot more attractive to me with silkbinds going on. Gonna watch that bowgun video and see if I can learn about all the ammo stuff that I always found slightly overwhelming.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

I really want to get into gunning someday. Bow looks fun and fancy and LBG is a lot more attractive to me with silkbinds going on. Gonna watch that bowgun video and see if I can learn about all the ammo stuff that I always found slightly overwhelming.

Guns are really fun and what sold me on them was when someone told me to only worry about like, two ammo types per gun. I'm using the Barro Barrel when I'm not running Dual Blades and so all I have to think about is Pierce 1 or Shrapnel 2. Makes it a lot less daunting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Harrow posted:

If you want to try a simple bowgun setup, go for the Nargacuga LBG. You'll rapid fire Pierce 2 with the fully upgraded gun, which is pretty forgiving with its positioning and does good damage. You also get access to paralyze, exhaust, and slicing ammo, which gives you some fun utility. Get Pierce Up 3 (Rhenoplos Helm, Shell-Studded Vest), Aim Booster 2 (Gems or some armor pieces), and some flavor of damage skills (Rhajang waist/boots works well for crit up). If you can fit in spare shot 3, it's pretty fun too (I have a really good talisman for it).

Recoil down, reload speed, and deviation decrease are all 1 slot skills, so put them in as needed. For the Narga LBG, I run Recoil Down 3, Reload Speed 2.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

stev posted:

You can give the tails of most large monsters to the dango girl / chef and they will cook them up into well done steaks for you

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So what exactly is the proper use for shrapnel ammo? It looks like it has a very particular critical range and benefits from bigger monsters with more hitzones, but that's about all I can gather from an experimental run with it and seeing a random smattering of 3-6 damage numbers pop up per shot.

As for cooking monsters, I imagine the big bois aren't cooked much because if boar taint can ruin a couple hundred pounds of pig, I don't even want to be in the same building as a cut of something that sprays poison out of modified anal glands or fireproofs its insides with some kind of specialized excretion.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So what exactly is the proper use for shrapnel ammo? It looks like it has a very particular critical range and benefits from bigger monsters with more hitzones, but that's about all I can gather from an experimental run with it and seeing a random smattering of 3-6 damage numbers pop up per shot.

As for cooking monsters, I imagine the big bois aren't cooked much because if boar taint can ruin a couple hundred pounds of pig, I don't even want to be in the same building as a cut of something that sprays poison out of modified anal glands or fireproofs its insides with some kind of specialized excretion.

I use shrapnel to explode the lbg mines since it can reliably hit them no matter where I hit the monster. I don't know if that's the intended purpose but it also seems to break parts really easily since it hits drat near everything.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Saint Freak posted:

I mean in real life you have to cook wild game meat well done. Undercooked wild animal meat is the express train to parasite town and I don't want to see what Monster Hunter would do with a giant monster tapeworm.

Back on topic: How are people liking wide GL in this game? It seems like Rise Wide plays like Long did in World insofar as you basically just use charged shelling. Since Crit and sharpness don't really factor, I'm guessing you just git the biggest raw damage wide lance and stack up Artillery/Load Shells?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 7, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kirios posted:

How does Rise load so quickly?! What sorcery did Capcom do to the Switch?

It's called the RE Engine. Most of World's long loading stems from how archaic and terribly optimized the MT Framework engine was.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If it is like the older games there are certain parts on certain monsters that are "mangets" which make all of the shrapnel, or pellet as it was called then, shots fired in its direction hit. I have no idea if Rise has the same thing, but I hope it does if they added shrapnel back in.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
how long-lived do you all suppose this game is going to be? I picked it up but am new to switch so am playing some older titles first and have extremely limited time to play >1-2 games over a span of time. If I hold off for a while will online be dead in say 6 months?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People are still people the older games which are years old at this point.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Food Boner posted:

how long-lived do you all suppose this game is going to be? I picked it up but am new to switch so am playing some older titles first and have extremely limited time to play >1-2 games over a span of time. If I hold off for a while will online be dead in say 6 months?

Monster Hunter World, the previous game, has had all their game content out now for what, a year? And the multiplayer is still banging. I would expect this game has a pretty lasting tail end - especially given how well it sold. Expect there to be several content drops over the next year to year and a half and an iceborne style expansion probably after that. PC will be a year delayed on all that too so just as once starts fading the other will pick up.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People are still people the older games which are years old at this point.

Absolutely preserving this before the edit because it's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Weapon cheatsheets: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/mm4or0 Seems good!