Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I think if you gave her the choice between being labelled a millenial or....well, Antarctica happening, she'd prefer to complain about boomers every time.

Of course, the only boomer in the cast is Fuyutsuki.

Gendo, Yui, Naoko, and Mari are all from Generation X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, the only boomer in the cast is Fuyutsuki.

Gendo, Yui, Naoko, and Mari are all from Generation X.

Lorenz is also (ostensibly) a boomer, which explains the entirety of SEELE's plot spectacularly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Misato has a better paying job than any real millennial, but all her other issues about being unprepared for adulthood, constantly patronized and infantalized, having to think out of her rear end because she has no real support mechanisms around her, wracked by imposter syndrome and just otherwise being a hosed up waste of a human being are absolutely spot on.

All spot on, but for the ops director of a massive military contractor she seems to have a car she can barely afford, an apartment filled with convenience store food, and a pet. I think that tracks as “underpaid”. Hell she probably took in the two kids herself so she could skim off the top of the additional stipends.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

All spot on, but for the ops director of a massive military contractor she seems to have a car she can barely afford, an apartment filled with convenience store food, and a pet. I think that tracks as “underpaid”. Hell she probably took in the two kids herself so she could skim off the top of the additional stipends.

The idea that anyone working for NERV in their fortress city really should be paying for much of anything is wild, esp in a future where literal gods threaten all of human existence, but it sure does seem like despite her titles and importance she has a real slim budget.

Sorry Capt Katsuragi, we uhh needed your bonus for "eva repairs" cause you know, you gently caress them up all the time with your child soldiers.

That might be the most realistic Eva thing, that there is a budget discussion about saving the world at all when it comes to Eva repairs.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

As others have pointed out, the show definitely hits differently when you rewatch it as an adult vs when you were a teenager.

I've been in my nation's military since I was 19, and Misato's busted up car, trash diet, binge drinking, pigsty apartment, and assorted neurosis reflect every late-20s captain I've ever worked for. (And also me :negative:)

fairlight
May 18, 2007

the official doc about anno and the production of 3.0+1.0 got subbed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-lIx-YsUM

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
I'm about halfway through but i really love the part when someone is asked why they still work with anno even when he's difficult and the guy is like "uhhhhh..... i haven't considered this before"

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

"I am not a doll!"

-Khara staff

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The idea that anyone working for NERV in their fortress city really should be paying for much of anything is wild, esp in a future where literal gods threaten all of human existence, but it sure does seem like despite her titles and importance she has a real slim budget.

Sorry Capt Katsuragi, we uhh needed your bonus for "eva repairs" cause you know, you gently caress them up all the time with your child soldiers.

That might be the most realistic Eva thing, that there is a budget discussion about saving the world at all when it comes to Eva repairs.

I really can’t wait for the scene in Shin Ultraman where, because he’s not an official employee of the government, the guy who turns into Ultraman needs a permit to get on the scene of a giant monster attack and the guy who gives out the permits is on vacation for another week and we can’t just go above that guy because look you just don’t do that

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

The real reason they broke up was because they couldn’t agree on whether In The End was ironically good (Misato) or just plain bad (Kaji)

In The End is the perfect example of what was wrong with Linkin Park over the years. One either liked Mike's rapping or they didn't. Those that didn't either rejected the band entirely, which is acceptable, or found all their other songs where Chester got to shine. Unfortunately, some factor of personalities and label perceptions meant that every first single of a new album was exclusively Mike centric to reaffirm those opinions.

Every LP album has that one track I skip because it's the "Mike" track. The one he had to force in there to keep himself relevant.

Let me watch the loving movie already.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

:filez:
Ughhhhh, so far there's still only like a 30-ish minute "Frankenstein" camrip that's cobbled together. Not worth pursuing IMO.

The wait continues...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

:filez:
Ughhhhh, so far there's still only like a 30-ish minute "Frankenstein" camrip that's cobbled together. Not worth pursuing IMO.

The wait continues...

It's pretty neat if you're been already been following and does it all really well (and all subbed) but there's still 80% of the movie missing and important stuff still non-existent in clip form. I have the individual pieces but having that work done was nice to see and really excites me for whenever a release happens.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
What's the usual turn around for a home release on theatrical movies like this, anyway?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The last Heaven's Feel movie was 7-ish months from theater to disc and that's probably what to expect? 3.0 was about 6 months but there was also a cam rip of it and holy poo poo that was 2012

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Robviously posted:

The last Heaven's Feel movie was 7-ish months from theater to disc and that's probably what to expect? 3.0 was about 6 months but there was also a cam rip of it and holy poo poo that was 2012

I tripped on some acid (it wasn't very good stuff) and watched an unsubtitled camrip god that was a long time ago for 3.0, might have even been 2011.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Szmitten posted:

It's pretty neat if you're been already been following and does it all really well (and all subbed) but there's still 80% of the movie missing and important stuff still non-existent in clip form. I have the individual pieces but having that work done was nice to see and really excites me for whenever a release happens.

Reminds me of when someone put together a surprisingly coherent 25 minute cut of Amazing Spider-Man because Sony released so many trailers (ok I guess it's not that surprising. Many modern movie trailers are 3 minute cuts of the entire movie and often give away the ending).

Robviously posted:

For a pandemic move comparison, the Demon Slayer movie came out in October of 2020 and is supposed to be released on disc in June, so 8 months. (I can't believe it's the highest grossing film in Japan ever and it happened during the pandemic). Pretty sure low quality cam rips broken across 8 different 15 minute videos is the intended Eva view experience, not discs however. Even the the version playing in theaters is just a camera pointing at Anno's laptop screen playing the movie.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

Reminds me of when someone put together a surprisingly coherent 25 minute cut of Amazing Spider-Man because Sony released so many trailers (ok I guess it's not that surprising. Many modern movie trailers are 3 minute cuts of the entire movie and often give away the ending).

To be fair, they gave away the first 12 minutes, at this point almost the entire last 8-10 minutes is out with gaps, there's 2 minute clips scattered around the first half, and seconds-turned-cumulative-minutes from everywhere else.

It's just a really nice edit because they timed everything and have the clean HD shots interspersed with the camrip stuff. And they did the work with a weird vertical clip that showed a 30 second sequence as a 10 second simultaneous 3 stacked column, and they cropped, spliced, and subbed it. Genuinely lovely work.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

The biggest offender ever was Terminator: Salvation. The massive spoiler in the trailer ruined the movie and is probably the entire reason it got panned. It's a decent movie and plays out nicely if you didn't know he's a machine.

Edit: Double checked. Yes, it's over halfway through the movie.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

fairlight posted:

the official doc about anno and the production of 3.0+1.0 got subbed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-lIx-YsUM

drat, the entire channel got nuked. I hope there's a backup somewhere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ranzear posted:

The biggest offender ever was Terminator: Salvation. The massive spoiler in the trailer ruined the movie and is probably the entire reason it got panned. It's a decent movie and plays out nicely if you didn't know he's a machine.

Edit: Double checked. Yes, it's over halfway through the movie.

Terminator 2 blew the big twist in the trailer but nobody panned it

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Julias posted:

drat, the entire channel got nuked. I hope there's a backup somewhere.

It’s on n*aa

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the big twist in salvation wasn't that the guy was a cyborg but that skynet had human collaborators and was keeping humans alive (hence 'salvation') - but this was cut entirely from the final film, excluding one or two shots

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

the big twist in salvation wasn't that the guy was a cyborg but that skynet had human collaborators and was keeping humans alive (hence 'salvation') - but this was cut entirely from the final film, excluding one or two shots

The other twist was that John Connor dies and the cyborg sacrifices his newfound/old identity to become the new John Connor. Or the cyborg sacrifices himself by surrendering most of his body to keep John alive. Either way the end was supposed to be a John Connor Terminator and that got dumped too. Genisys took that idea literally though.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
well, I guess another 6-8 months isn't that long considering I've held off on all of the rebuilds so far :shrug:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Terminator 2 blew the big twist in the trailer but nobody panned it

That's like five minutes in, not fifty-eight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn’t get the twist spoiled for me before I saw Salvation, can confirm the movie sucked rear end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just noticed the subtitles were working for the One Last Kiss video and welp, don't need to watch that one again for a while. :smith: It's me, not her.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
been rewatching evangelion with a friend who hasn't seen it and, wow, the tone of the series shifts hard after episode 14. also, there's a fair few strange choices where fairly major events and revelations take place off-screen. The rebuilds are interesting because they take the story, cut out the filler and more meaningless bits, and give some events a bit more heft. the nature of the evangelions themselves is completely different, too. in the original series, they're basically restrained beasts that flip out, not really understood. in the rebuilds, it's clearer that they understand evangelions a lot more and that the constructs themselves are not nearly as autonomous - the restraints aren't to control the evangelion but to prevent the pilot from getting too much power. and that's without getting into how the angels stuff with adam, lillith, seele and all that feels more cleaner and coherent than it does in the original series. the original series is great but I think there's something really cool about a cleaner version of the series written by a more stable anno where the pieces fit together better, even if we lose the weirdness that the original was known for.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yes but have you considered that the rebuilds are actually _less_ interesting because they cut out the filler and meaningless bits :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you considered that as sequels the notion of them being a redo in-universe is a good explanation for the differences thanks to the cosmic beings aware of the original TV run going back to the drawing room and saying "well, that could have worked out better."

I mean, that's kinda what happened in real life so it fits in a Kojima style meta sense that the in-universe would jump at the chance for a less messy, more refined plan now that they've seen what doesn't work.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

yes but have you considered that the rebuilds are actually _less_ interesting because they cut out the filler and meaningless bits :colbert:

The problem with that is that it's an angle that makes it actually impossible for remakes to be as good as the originals.

The original Evangelion was the product of specific, disastrous circumstances, and trying to replicate the effect without the cause just makes a hollow mimic, losing the spark that made the original flaws work to the benefit of the whole and leaving the awkward end of things.

It was the right move for 1.0 to be "Evangelion as it's remembered" rather than trying to replicate all the messy details, even ignoring the runtime question.

(Of course, most of us haven't been able to see Shin yet, and discussing the Rebuilds with only 3/4 of them watched makes the commentary feel incomplete. What I've seen says that Shin is where the rebuilds cement themselves as a new thing building on the old rather than just an attempt at a replication, which is an important part of the whole question.)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I agree, I think the original run is a beautiful disaster. And I'm still waiting for this last film to decide whether the rebuilds are worth it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the rebuilds only really work if you have prior knowledge of the original series tbqh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Augus posted:

the rebuilds only really work if you have prior knowledge of the original series tbqh.

They're entertaining enough if you've never seen the show but it's like watching Spaceballs if you've never seen Star Wars.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Augus posted:

I don’t agree with this at all. I’ve turned a couple of friends onto the franchise and knew they wouldn’t commit to a series; had them watch the Rebuilds. They dug it. I don’t think anyone comes away from 3.33 knowing wtf is going on.

3.0+1.0 has some really good callbacks to the series, and the ending means A LOT more if you’ve seen it, but it would play just fine for those that watched the first three.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

bees x1000 posted:

a little yeah. and the rebuilds also don't have anything nearly as intense as the last half a dozen episodes or so. the sense of doom that hangs over the entire show then is really something.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finally got around to watching the End of Evangelion on Netflix.
:wtc: did I just watch. I don't think I'll ever see something like this again.

I can't pretend to understand what happened and whether that was good or bad, but holy crap at all those visuals.

There's some real cool stuff in there, I actually go really happy for Asuka when she cheered up murdering things. :unsmith: And then she died, but at least she sort of died happy even if it was for naught.
Some parts were quite boring to me though, like the real life part seemed to drag on. Good thing it was usually followed by more insanity.

And lol at giving Rei Barby doll anatomy and then drawing a vagina on her head.

I think my biggest confusion is how somehow Rei got popular? She's a blank slate, a doll and while important has no real agency. Why did people latch on to her so badly.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
rei is the otaku's yamato nadeshiko

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if you think Rei has no agency i strongly encourage you to rewatch the series, maybe some time later after you'd had a chance to digest a bit

she puts very little stock in the value of her own life but that's not quite the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I think my biggest confusion is how somehow Rei got popular? She's a blank slate, a doll and while important has no real agency. Why did people latch on to her so badly.

Didn't you hear her?

She is not a doll.

I actually had the opposite response to Rei. Came in assuming I'd roll my eyes at this nothing character, but she was really interesting to watch.

The surface level thing is that she's, well, off. She's poorly socialized and has some weird stuff going on with her soul, so her interactions with people show a lack of connection with regular society that goes against the flow and makes her stand out.

But she also has a lot of interiority. Rei spends a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell Rei's deal is, which contrasts with Asuka running full tilt away from thinking about why she's a pile of issues in favor of drowning them in giant (not a) robot violence and quantifiable accomplishments.

Rei isn't an empty puppet. She's a person who's messed up due to a miserable, weird life, and (interesting bit!) she's a person who's consciously evaluated her own life and decided that selling it for the people she cares about was a good value. (Her conversation with Asuka is interesting here, because she objects to the suggestion that she's not a person... and follows up by saying that of course she'd die if Gendo ordered it.

Asuka takes it as a sign of emptiness, but for Rei, it's the opposite. As a human being, she's decided that her loyalty and affection for Ikari makes the best decision the one that helps him. Even if it means her death.)

Which leads, naturally enough, to the fact that she does have agency, in the end. (Arguably, more than any of the other characters.) Agency that derails everyone's plans. In the end, she sides with Shinji over Gendo, chooses the boy who was kind to her over the man who took her cooperation for granted, and thus, tang.