Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus Christ man that food processor costs as much as a month's rent, and I live in a really expensive city!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I’m not getting it unless I win the lottery

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I got a hand crank food processor that's pretty good and wasn't expensive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
oh yeah i forgot, ofc i use the microplane for zesting.

i’m a big fan of my breville sous chef fp. we went with it because it has a nice sealed bowl. plus the adjustable slicing disc (vs some silly slider on the kitchenaid) is frankly great. it’s also a bunch of metal so it is built like a tank.

i can’t answer as to the dough stuff because i never use a fp for dough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Jesus Christ man that food processor costs as much as a month's rent, and I live in a really expensive city!!

But look what it can doooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5dBdqESn8&t=57s

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i can’t answer as to the dough stuff because i never use a fp for dough

If you make fresh pasta ever then the FP is amazing. Zip, zip and it all comes together.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

If you make fresh pasta ever then the FP is amazing. Zip, zip and it all comes together.

nah it takes me a couple of minutes to work egg yolks into flour before wrapping it and putting it in the fridge to rest. not worth dirtying the processor for at all

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Murgos posted:

same for bread... I put everything in the Cuisinart and it's dough within a minute

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think McGee wrote about the benefits of making pizza dough in the food processor. Something about bringing it together more quickly results in less oxidation of the flour which is beneficial for some reason. I think. It’s been a while.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I know food processor is amazing for pie dough (that's all I use my FP for tbh), not sure about pizza dough.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What are the currently recommended stand mixers?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maigius posted:

Whatever refurb ones your country's KitchenAid online store or Amazon KitchenAid listings has in stock with warranty.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Chemmy posted:

Microplane parmesan is fantastic.

poo poo yes. Especially if you do a bunch of it into a pot of marinara right as it's coming off heat and stir it in.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Maigius posted:

Bosch or Ankarsrum if you're really into bread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i grate butter and keep it in the freezer for super quick pie and biscuit doughs. there’s really little advantage to machining it for me.

in re stand mixers imo honestly any of the name brands big and small are pretty much all fine these days with the differences being smaller than the similarities

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Someone recommended the Bosch universal here for bread before, but their us company makes a 'baby bosch' called the nutrimill artiste. It has been making bread for me for a while and works great. Sometimes the dough wants to wrap around the center post if it's too wet but it can always be scraped off

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I finally got my kitchen kind of organized and I'm pretty happy. I switched to stainless at the beginning of this year and I love and use them pretty much daily. I just need a 10" and I think I'll be set for a long time :)

(not pictured: 8")

I rent and have a lovely ten year old coil stove and the pans heat up evenly and really quickly. They're also half the weight of the non-sticks

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
Nice setup. Is that a pan specific pegboard or a normal hardware product?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thank you :) It's a Wall Control pegboard. Wirecutter recommended it for kitchen organization and it's awesome. I am a fan of the Metallic Silver for sure; I can't comment on the longevity of the painted finishes and the galvanized looks too garage-y from the pictures I've seen

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
protip, buy your wall control pegboard from their outlet store: https://cheappegboard.com/

supposedly it's the "blemished" products but i didnt see any blemishes in the sets that i bought.

and for whoever was asking about box graters, serious eats did a review the other day:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2021/03/best-box-grater.html

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

For what it's worth, I have the Cuisipro grater and only like two of the four sides. The large holes and slicer work very well, but I find the medium and small sides to be almost useless. When I grate garlic with my small Microplane, it cuts through the clove quickly and aggressively while still producing a fine grated paste. When I grate garlic on the small hole of the Cuisipro, I get a small amount of garlic juice inside and crushed garlic flesh outside after three times as long. I also can't get parmesan to grate satisfactorily on either the small or medium sides. Maybe this is a Me problem, but I doubt it.

That said, the large holes are great, and if that's what you primarily use a grater for I can recommend it fully.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

OK, wife has narrowed it down to two ranges to choose between, and it's literally form vs. function.

Kitchenaid? Or Hallman?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kitchen...00ESS/205888473

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hallman...0BSMG/304183043

Kitchen-Aid = huge cooking space (7.1 cu ft), lots of racks, extended slides, warming drawer, but it has that panel on top that cuts into burner space and really makes me fearspills and peeling (think older microwave buttons).

Hallman- smaller space, no gizmos, but it's on legs so I can sweep under it and oh my god is it beautiful

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

OK, wife has narrowed it down to two ranges to choose between, and it's literally form vs. function.

Kitchenaid? Or Hallman?

Kitchen-Aid = huge cooking space (7.1 cu ft), lots of racks, extended slides, warming drawer, but it has that panel on top that cuts into burner space and really makes me fearspills and peeling (think older microwave buttons).

Hallman- smaller space, no gizmos, but it's on legs so I can sweep under it and oh my god is it beautiful

This is one of those times in a reno where you feign having a strong opinion in the opposite direction from what your partner is into so you can gracefully concede and use those brownie points to make sure you can get the fridge that you really want or whatever.

I think the Hallman looks better also and I think it'd attract home purchasers more when that time comes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GD_American posted:

Kitchenaid? Or Hallman?

tbh i wouldn't get either because i'm over gas BUT at this point in life i'd go with the hallman tbh. i don't think you'll ever really complain about buying something that looks that nice vs the KA. also, in the worst-case scenario you can always buy a decent accessory oven at some point if you really need to cook two things at once (which imo is the only major requirement of having an oven that size since you can probably still do two trays of cookies in the hallman, say).

VelociBacon posted:

This is one of those times in a reno where you feign having a strong opinion in the opposite direction from what your partner is into so you can gracefully concede and use those brownie points to make sure you can get the fridge that you really want or whatever.

I think the Hallman looks better also and I think it'd attract home purchasers more when that time comes.

this is weird, don't game theory your spouse

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
IIRC from my kitchen reno, KitchenAid stoves have a problem with cooking the controller board because of how close it is to the heat.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

On the other hand, we seem to spend 20 years adding brass to houses and then 30 years removing it before the cycle starts over, so I would not personally choose brass fixtures.

(This is not an argument that can be won. It is an aesthetic choice and I get that.)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

IIRC from my kitchen reno, KitchenAid stoves have a problem with cooking the controller board because of how close it is to the heat.

Ooooh, this is something to consider, thanks.

mediaphage posted:

this is weird, don't game theory your spouse

Yeah, this is an us decision. I only mentioned her because she narrowed down the 4 I had as candidates and now we're looking at complete polar extremes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

Ooooh, this is something to consider, thanks.

Yeah, this is an us decision. I only mentioned her because she narrowed down the 4 I had as candidates and now we're looking at complete polar extremes.

Do you have brass literally anywhere else in the kitchen? Maybe you can find some matching fixtures for cabinets and stuff?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Do you have brass literally anywhere else in the kitchen? Maybe you can find some matching fixtures for cabinets and stuff?

The counters are blue granite with gold streaks in it (Brazilian Bahia). The fixtures remaining from before we started tearing up the kitchen were oil-rubbed bronze (not sure if we're staying that direction); Hallman offers bronze (or chrome) as an option for the dials/bars, but they don't look as nice as the brass.

We're not sure which way to go with drawer/door knobs/pulls/etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

On the other hand, we seem to spend 20 years adding brass to houses and then 30 years removing it before the cycle starts over, so I would not personally choose brass fixtures.

(This is not an argument that can be won. It is an aesthetic choice and I get that.)

i think a key to longevity is to not make like. everything brass. one or two key things allows it to make a statement without saturation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Need a recommendation for nice looking (but functional) stainless cookware. It's going to be hanging in my kitchen and appearances are important (once we can have guests over again). I'm sick of looking at my mismatched TJ Maxx garbage hanging there. Probably need a couple sauce pans, 8", 10" and 12" frying pans. I already have a couple nice big stock pots and both flat and ridged cast iron skillets.

Budget is ~$1k but I could stretch higher if it was the difference between something I like and something I love.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Need a recommendation for nice looking (but functional) stainless cookware. It's going to be hanging in my kitchen and appearances are important (once we can have guests over again). I'm sick of looking at my mismatched TJ Maxx garbage hanging there. Probably need a couple sauce pans, 8", 10" and 12" frying pans. I already have a couple nice big stock pots and both flat and ridged cast iron skillets.

Budget is ~$1k but I could stretch higher if it was the difference between something I like and something I love.

https://www.all-clad.com/cookware/collections/d3-stainless.html

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

whoa

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks. Is the copper core stuff just a dumb gimmick? I like the way they look but I'm not sure if I "literally double the price" like them.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Seconding this. Also get some Barkeeper's Friend for cleaning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, are the Amazon listings the same product/parts or are they worse quality somehow? Because they're WAAAY cheaper (and a lot of stuff is out of stock on the all clad website)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Also, are the Amazon listings the same product/parts or are they worse quality somehow? Because they're WAAAY cheaper (and a lot of stuff is out of stock on the all clad website)

Pretty sure they are the same, I only meant to link to the product line specifically. Dunno the answer to your copper core question, I vaguely remember hearing it's not worth it but I can no longer find the source.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xtal posted:

Pretty sure they are the same, I only meant to link to the product line specifically. Dunno the answer to your copper core question, I vaguely remember hearing it's not worth it but I can no longer find the source.

Screw it, they look cool and they're within my budget on Amazon for more pans than I'll probably ever need.

Here's my list in case I'm forgetting something obvious that I should add:

(that last one is on there because it's dirt cheap and I will definitely burn a lot of eggs on it)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

KillHour posted:

With amazon there is always a risk of getting a counterfeit product. Amazon will accept stock from different vendors, some of which could be counterfeit, then stores all the stock together if it has the same SKU. So in some situations even amazon couldn't tell you if they sent you a genuine product or a counterfeit. For some things this doesn't matter. Just don't buy circuit breakers from there. I'm not saying don't buy off amazon ever, just that this is part of what you need to be aware of as a consumer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

With amazon there is always a risk of getting a counterfeit product. Amazon will accept stock from different vendors, some of which could be counterfeit, then stores all the stock together if it has the same SKU. So in some situations even amazon couldn't tell you if they sent you a genuine product or a counterfeit. For some things this doesn't matter. Just don't buy circuit breakers from there. I'm not saying don't buy off amazon ever, just that this is part of what you need to be aware of as a consumer

Yeah, I'm usually pretty careful about what I buy there. I imagine I'd be able to tell pretty easily if the pans I get aren't the real mccoy though, right? They're really good about returns.