Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m not up on everything but how is it more trustworthy than keychain already is?

I understood that a lot of that is worth it to people it just seems like keychain has come along way and it’s harder to justify that $36.

I'm a bit hesitant to say exactly how secure 1Password is compared to iCloud Keychain specifically, but Keychain does seem to offer the ability to recover your passwords if you lose all your devices (which would imply that Apple can decrypt your passwords). 1Password cannot recover your passwords, and in fact doesn't ever see the unencrypted Secret Key, which is generated when you make your account, and rather than just your master password being used to encrypt/decrypt your vault, the encryption is your Secret Key and your master password. I could post my Master Password and have no fear of even a 1Password employee compromising my vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m not up on everything but how is it more trustworthy than keychain already is?

I understood that a lot of that is worth it to people it just seems like keychain has come along way and it’s harder to justify that $36.

Then keep using Keychain? I'm not sure why you're trying to get us to sell you on 1Password because you seem to really like keychain.

The reality is there's quite a few good password managers out there. You can make a case for Bitwarden, 1Pass, Keychain. Just not LastPass. Dashlane was good at some point but i think it's a spyware mess now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I would just say what others have said, it’s cross platform whereas keychain is not.

Nothing wrong with using Apple keychain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

instant Privacy.com one-time-use credit card creation

The what now? Is this included in my sub?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vyst posted:

Then keep using Keychain? I'm not sure why you're trying to get us to sell you on 1Password because you seem to really like keychain.

I already have a 1password subscription and have had it for a few years I’ve just found that I’ve used it less and less and am trying to find a decent reason to keep using it.

The other thing is people seem quick to recommend some of these paid services when keychain would probably work perfectly for most people.

Duckman2008 posted:

I would just say what others have said, it’s cross platform whereas keychain is not.

It’s kinda cross platform now that there is a chrome plugin.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The what now? Is this included in my sub?

Yeah I had no idea about this either. I really don’t think the service does a great job pointing stuff like that out lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I had no idea about this either. I really don’t think the service does a great job pointing stuff like that out lol.

I don’t even see any mention of it on my iPhone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t even see any mention of it on my iPhone.

Yeah it’s the same with the 2FA stuff people pointed out. I couldn’t find it anywhere in the app.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s the same with the 2FA stuff people pointed out. I couldn’t find it anywhere in the app.

You can get to it from the web vault settings on the chrome extension or the website. I haven't tried on the phone

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I don't think it's on the phone yet.

It pops up when filling out CC info on websites

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Woke up to my battery at 10%, with this as my battery/activity.

Any way I can figure out what was causing all the "screen off" activity?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

borkencode posted:

Woke up to my battery at 10%, with this as my battery/activity.

Any way I can figure out what was causing all the "screen off" activity?

Tap on the blue lines but I’m willing to bet you’ve got Dropbox hooked up to your files app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you scroll down don't you get a list of apps using battery?

If nothing stands out some background process might have gone bonkers, try rebooting the phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's on the phone yet.

It pops up when filling out CC info on websites

Apparently that’s only for the chrome plugin, and for safari you need to open the actual app. Which I never open because that defeats the whole point of the plug-in. And I’m not going to use chrome on a Mac because I like my battery to last more than 2 hours and for it to not sound like a harrier jet taking off.

E: And Privacy requires funding through a debit/checking card? In the US anyway linking your debit/checking card to anything is a monumentally dumb idea.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently that’s only for the chrome plugin, and for safari you need to open the actual app. Which I never open because that defeats the whole point of the plug-in. And I’m not going to use chrome on a Mac because I like my battery to last more than 2 hours and for it to not sound like a harrier jet taking off.

E: And Privacy requires funding through a debit/checking card? In the US anyway linking your debit/checking card to anything is a monumentally dumb idea.

I use Chrome on a Mac and I've never noticed it operating worse than Safari.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't use Chrome, that's my Safari browser with the extension :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I don't use Chrome, that's my Safari browser with the extension :shrug:

https://support.1password.com/credit-card-address-filling/

quote:

Click the 1Password icon in your browser’s toolbar.
If you’re using Safari, open the 1Password app instead.

Is that old info or did I misunderstand it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

vyst posted:

You can get to it from the web vault settings on the chrome extension or the website. I haven't tried on the phone

Where the hell? I'm searching all over and can't find it on the web site when I open my vault up (PC, chrome).

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tap on the blue lines but I’m willing to bet you’ve got Dropbox hooked up to your files app.

Uh.... Pokemon Go apparently? Doesn't usually do that. Weird.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Where the hell? I'm searching all over and can't find it on the web site when I open my vault up (PC, chrome).

In 1Password X/whatever they officially call it now settings.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

In 1Password X/whatever they officially call it now settings.

:lol: My settings icon is covered by a bell icon? Maybe telling me I have a notification or something?

Anyway, privacy doesn't support credit cards? That's weird. I need my cash back rewards!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: My settings icon is covered by a bell icon? Maybe telling me I have a notification or something?

Anyway, privacy doesn't support credit cards? That's weird. I need my cash back rewards!

The whole point is privacy acts as a middle man. You lose out on the rewards (and that's they fund the whole thing), but in exchange every vendor has a unique card that is locked to that merchant.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Privacy.com IS the credit card vendor

You can't pay your credit cards with another credit card.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Privacy.com IS the credit card vendor

You can't pay your credit cards with another credit card.

Hold my high interest balance transfers

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

I'm a bit hesitant to say exactly how secure 1Password is compared to iCloud Keychain specifically, but Keychain does seem to offer the ability to recover your passwords if you lose all your devices (which would imply that Apple can decrypt your passwords).

The iOS security white paper explains how they can't directly decrypt your passwords.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

Apple creates escrow keys for your iCloud Keychain, protected by your device passcode. The verification and key release happens in hardware modules with no ability for Apple to load a backdoored firmware that could otherwise exfiltrate keys. To prevent brute force attacks, after 10 incorrect attempts it destroys the keys forever.

The iOS security doc is a really interesting read and they update every year, a few months after every iOS release.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They sure are dragging their feet on 14.5. I hope this is a good thing though and the alleged performance boost on the 12’s is true. I’m
Holding out before I sell my 12 Pro and get something else.

I tried the beta recently but got worse performance so I went back. That has been true for me every time I’ve ever tried a public beta.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They sure are dragging their feet on 14.5. I hope this is a good thing though and the alleged performance boost on the 12’s is true. I’m
Holding out before I sell my 12 Pro and get something else.

I tried the beta recently but got worse performance so I went back. That has been true for me every time I’ve ever tried a public beta.

The thought seems to be that there's probably hardware tied to the release of 14.5 (new iPads probably) and Apple's waiting on that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Skeezy posted:

The thought seems to be that there's probably hardware tied to the release of 14.5 (new iPads probably) and Apple's waiting on that.

I was thinking Airtags too. Those things have been 'coming any day' for months. They did just open up the 'Find My' API to third-party devs so it seems their imminent.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was thinking Airtags too. Those things have been 'coming any day' for months. They did just open up the 'Find My' API to third-party devs so it seems their imminent.

Considering there's a third party tag announced, kind of been wondering if the AirTags were just a reference implementation for third party Find My integration and it's not actually going to be something they sell.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Considering there's a third party tag announced, kind of been wondering if the AirTags were just a reference implementation for third party Find My integration and it's not actually going to be something they sell.

I could see them building tile-like functionality into something like the airpods case.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

This is probably the wrong thread for this but boy do I regret going from a @gmail to @icloud email address. The stock email app on both iPhones and Mac is just so bad.

I’ve resigned myself to using the outlook app on iPhone which is good. If I remember correctly I swapped originally from @gmail because I was bored of my reliance on Google. I’ve noticed that emails sent from the outlook phone app won’t be viewable on Mac Mail.app.

I guess I’ve got a few options:
- Pay for the Microsoft subscription so I can use outlook on my desktop
- Use a different 3rd party mail app
- Go back to my gmail address
- Get a new email @outlook address or another goon recommended domain (proton mail?)

Anyone got any suggestions for how I handle this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

This is probably the wrong thread for this but boy do I regret going from a @gmail to @icloud email address. The stock email app on both iPhones and Mac is just so bad.

I’ve resigned myself to using the outlook app on iPhone which is good. If I remember correctly I swapped originally from @gmail because I was bored of my reliance on Google. I’ve noticed that emails sent from the outlook phone app won’t be viewable on Mac Mail.app.

- Get a new email @outlook address or another goon recommended domain (proton mail?)

Personally I would go back to gmail. Google sucks with privacy , but their email works really well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dugong posted:

This sounds wrong to me. It shouldn’t matter which clients you use cause that’s just the front end. Your Mac’s Mail.app should see that there are new sent messages on the server and download them. You’re using IMAP and not POP right?

E: Just use gmail, especially if you’ve got a professional sounding gmail address eg yourname@gmail.com.

E2: Caveat with gmail and “shouldn’t matter which clients you use” is gmail uses some custom non-standard stuff for its labels so labels probably won’t work unless you use the gmail app.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 11, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dugong posted:

Outlook is the best iOS email app by far but There’s no particular reason to use desktop outlook, especially if you aren’t already using Microsoft office. Paying for office just to use outlook would be absurd.

Mailspring is a free, and very attractive email app that works on windows and Macs. It’s by far the best desktop mail app I’ve ever been able to find. I can’t tell you for certain that it will work with an iCloud email account, but it’s free so there’s no harm in trying it.

Personally I wouldn’t be using Gmail - I hate the idea of ads in my email. If you do want to switch to another email provider an outlook.com email works well with Microsoft apps (obviously), but also the default iOS and MacOS mail apps, and mailspring. The outlook.com web app is also pretty good in my opinion.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks for the advice goons. I’m going to try Mailspring with the @icloud address and then see if I need to swap to @gmail or @outlook.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

tuyop posted:

Switching over to bitwarden I don’t like how it doesn’t put the little button in the credential fields like LP did, but it’s really good so far otherwise. Loved the ease of setup and I’ll probably chuck :10bux:/year their way for the premium features and to keep the project going

I miss this too, but you can press ctrl + shift + L on your keyboard and it will auto fill if it can figure out how. Once you get used to doing that it’s actually faster.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Email addresses and clients are pretty much separate things. Choose the service you like and the clients you like.

Although for me changing email addresses is a major thing so I’m not sure how you can swap so easily!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Dugong posted:

Thanks for the advice goons. I’m going to try Mailspring with the @icloud address and then see if I need to swap to @gmail or @outlook.

ProtonMail is also very good, free, has a good iOS app, and is based in Switzerland prioritizing privacy.

There are some small caveats if you don’t pay for their service, but they’re very small things.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s 2021 and yet iTunes still can’t sync songs to iPhones reliably. I correct the album art on a working mp3, sync it again and now it says “this song is not currently available in your country or region”

For anyone who doesn’t stream their music, do you all just use third party music apps with a separate file management system for them these days? Any recommendations?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

It’s 2021 and yet iTunes still can’t sync songs to iPhones reliably. I correct the album art on a working mp3, sync it again and now it says “this song is not currently available in your country or region”

For anyone who doesn’t stream their music, do you all just use third party music apps with a separate file management system for them these days? Any recommendations?

doppler https://apps.apple.com/us/app/doppler-mp3-flac-music-player/id1468459747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Thanks, I’ll look into this.

I really liked iTunes’ thing I’d auto converting high bitrate files to save a bit of space on my phone, but actually syncing songs so that I can listen to them is probably more important in a music app...