Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Uthor posted:

Stupidest kitchen injury, go!

I have a scar in my right thigh from running with scissors. Should be said that it was almost 40 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Tried to cut an onion with a serrated knife, cause that's all that was available

E: the knife went from not cutting at all to CUTTING REALLY FAST and I caught my pinky with it

There's a little bump on the tip of my pinky finger from where it scarred under the skin. The top layer of the skin healed fine.

If that's the worst that ever happens to me in the kitchen I will count myself a lucky man

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 7, 2021

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Uthor posted:

When I was around ten I wanted to to put something on the stove so I checked the electric burner with my hand. Turns out my mom just got done cooking something.

You can still see a faint line going across my left index, middle and ring fingers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sliced my thumb on the lid of a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli in college. It's my biggest and most visible scar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guyver posted:

When I was around ten I wanted to to put something on the stove so I checked the electric burner with my hand. Turns out my mom just got done cooking something.

You can still see a faint line going across my left index, middle and ring fingers.

I forgot I had turned a burner on and put my hand on it. I was approximately 27 at the time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was 10 years old, and trying to stab a pog in midair by throwing it up and then stabbing downward with a knife. I managed to stab myself in the thigh instead.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Not a kitchen injury, but I have a clear memory from when I was a little kid. I wondered if the iron was hot so I pressed my palm on it. Yep, definitely still hot. I don't remember how bad the burns were.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

My cousin was microwaving 5 pounds of bacon for lunch and got a severe grease burn on his hand.

I once set myself on fire while preparing sushi.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

How?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I was 25, I decided it was a good idea to cut up a rubbermaid container to make a letterbox for my cat of unusual size. I had forgotten the face of my father and did not cut away with the knife, and buried my utility knife into my thigh. I got 5 stitches and an afternoon loitering around an Emergency Room for my efforts.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was 10 years old, and trying to stab a pog in midair by throwing it up and then stabbing downward with a knife. I managed to stab myself in the thigh instead.

Gave yourself the old spicy slammer.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Obviously during the sumidemae charcoal procedure I was using hibashi to transfer charcoal from the sumitori to the furo and gripped too hard causing the ember explode on my shirt.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this was in no way my fault but I did once get a splash of frying oil directly into my open eye while making falafel

and more OSHAly, multiple times a splash of ash glaze into my open eye. (mmm, lye.)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ultrafilter posted:

Sliced my thumb on the lid of a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli in college. It's my biggest and most visible scar.

I did the exact same thing in college, also on a can of ravioli.

the big question is, did you still eat the ravioli?

i did, after i got back from getting stitches.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No blood (in the ravioli), no foul.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Not exactly an injury, but 7 year old me decided he was going to eat some straight sugar, so he waited until his parents went to sleep, grabbed a shaker full of white stuff, unscrewed the top, and dumped a bunch of salt into his mouth

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Uthor posted:

I boiled some water in a kettle, set the kettle on the counter, reached over the kettle to get a tea bag, burned the poo poo out of my hand with the steam coming out of the spout. Had the biggest blister I've ever had for a few days and the skin was raw for weeks as it healed. It took about a second.

Was cutting green peppers at the same pizza place to restock our supply and it was my first time doing it. I was doing the easy way and toward my hand. Got a huge cut in my thumb that was just barely not bad enough to go to the hospital over and also ruined a box of green peppers with biohazard material. :thumbsup: Still have that scar too, and also a different burn scar from when I reached over the convection oven. I'm a massive dipshit and should never be trusted around anything remotely dangerous.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Not exactly an injury, but 7 year old me decided he was going to eat some straight sugar, so he waited until his parents went to sleep, grabbed a shaker full of white stuff, unscrewed the top, and dumped a bunch of salt into his mouth

A similar mistake is how I discovered I have an oddly unhealthy love of salt. Probably the only reason I haven't physically ruptured my heart due to blood pressure is that both sides of my family have issues with low blood pressure in general. :v:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 7, 2021

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

Uthor posted:

I showed up to a friend's barbecue house party and apparently she was devoted to gender roles because I got immediately assigned to grilling because I was the only dude who arrived on time.

She had this awful tiny little charcoal grill and things were going fine until I tried pulling up the lid after things had been cooking and pressed my thumb firmly on a metal catch that was right next to the insulated handle. The metal was absolutely hot as hell. Probably the only time I've pressed my hand on something without knowing it could be hot ahead of time.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Uthor posted:

I made macaroni & cheese on a gas stove top, had just finished up draining the noodles so I could mix the cheese/milk/butter in. A couple macaroni noodles fell under the grate for the gas burner I was using & like a moron, I grabbed it with my bare hand without thinking. The metal was hot enough that it stuck to 3 of my fingers & took some skin off on top of some gnarly blistering. Hurt like hell & I spent a lot of time with ice packs on my hand to dull the pain.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My cousin was microwaving 5 pounds of bacon for lunch and got a severe grease burn on his hand.

Is your cousin Ron Swanson, or the star of a TLC show involving a lot of doctors?

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
i cut my hand reopening a jar of pasta sauce, on the pasta sauce. somehow the sauce got underneath the lid and jar itself, dried razor sharp such that when i opened it it sliced the living poo poo out of my fingers

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Uthor posted:

I made a pizza once and just put it on the oven rack with no pan. To get it out, I just reached In with a knife and pushed it out onto my plate from behind. It worked out well enough, but I lifted my arm too high and clipped the edge of the oven and burned a knuckle on my index finger so bad the top layer of skin immediately sloughed off.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I was drunkenly making myself a burger. I couldn't find a spatula so I was flipping the burger by trying to quickly pick it up and turn it over.

I woke up the next day with a ton of burns all over my fingers.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

I was drunkenly making myself a burger. I couldn't find a spatula so I was flipping the burger by trying to quickly pick it up and turn it over.

I woke up the next day with a ton of burns all over my fingers.

This makes it sound like you were cooking burgers late at night, touched the burger, fell over dead asleep and woke up the next morning to some guy saying "Hey You, you're finally awake" or something. Though you did say you were drunk, so maybe that actually is what happened.

Only dumb kitchen injury I have to share is burning the back of my hand by touching it to the top of the oven, since I was messing with something while it was still in the oven, my fingers got hot and I reflexively jerked my hand away. Pretty bad blistering/scar that still left a noticeable "dent" in my hand. But hey, it covered up the burn scar from when I was a kid and my brother asked me if I wanted to see a match burn twice. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

I burned my wrist on the same spot multiple times during the few months I was a pizza shop kitchen dude and I still have the scar. it’s a badge of honor

Holy poo poo, pizza oven scars. I had actually forgotten; how could I have forgotten?

I think they might still be barely visible in the right lighting and/or depending on how tan i am

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

This makes it sound like you were cooking burgers late at night, touched the burger, fell over dead asleep and woke up the next morning to some guy saying "Hey You, you're finally awake" or something. Though you did say you were drunk, so maybe that actually is what happened.

I was probably awake at least some time afterward since I ate the burger and all. I didn't remember thinking anything at all about my fingers or hands the night of, but the next morning, in addition to my hang over I had burns I was suddenly VERY aware of.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Uthor posted:

I burnt water.

No, seriously. We had this lovely old pot that I was boiling water in, and as I went to dump the noodles in, I discovered that it had turned black. Turns out the coating was flaking off and disintegrating. Anyways, since the water was obviously not fit for pasta, I unceremoniously dumped it in the sink and caught some splashback that scalded a funky pattern into my arm for about a month.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Uthor posted:

I boiled some water in a kettle, set the kettle on the counter, reached over the kettle to get a tea bag, burned the poo poo out of my hand with the steam coming out of the spout. Had the biggest blister I've ever had for a few days and the skin was raw for weeks as it healed. It took about a second.

I was making pickled hot chilis, and while I was boiling them, I decided to lean in and lift the lid to give the pot a stir. Immediately caught a cloud of hot steam and capsaicin up my nostrils, and had a migraine for the rest of the day.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pmcTRILOGY posted:

I showed up to a friend's barbecue house party and apparently she was devoted to gender roles because I got immediately assigned to grilling because I was the only dude who arrived on time.

She had this awful tiny little charcoal grill and things were going fine until I tried pulling up the lid after things had been cooking and pressed my thumb firmly on a metal catch that was right next to the insulated handle. The metal was absolutely hot as hell. Probably the only time I've pressed my hand on something without knowing it could be hot ahead of time.

I've had the first one. Showed up to a pool party, and was immediately put on burger grilling duty because I was a guy and her mom thought I could be reasonably trusted with spatulas and fire.

My dumb injury is also OSHA: Bakery I was working at was cheaping out on oven gloves. The sleeves of the gloves were not long enough, and I was pulling some cookie trays out of the oven and got a nice kiss on my arm by the door for my trouble. There was also the fact that the gloves kept wearing through so we'd have nice holes/thin spots in the material after a few weeks so you needed to know where to grab with them in order to not fry your fingers.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Circuit Fixer

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Uthor posted:

Managed to knock down a chef's knife from the drying cupboard, purely out of reflex put my foot under it to break its fall like I'd do with a cup or something, realized immediately what I was doing and that it was too late to stop myself, but luckily the knife didn't land directly tip first and just nicked my foot before bouncing away and hitting the ground.

It was one of those things where I had to sit down for a minute and consider how close I was to a potentially life-altering accident.

selnaric posted:

Not a kitchen injury, but I have a clear memory from when I was a little kid. I wondered if the iron was hot so I pressed my palm on it. Yep, definitely still hot. I don't remember how bad the burns were.

Oh yeah I kinda did that too when I was 4 or something. My mum was cooking something, I tried to climb up on a stool to help her and managed to slap my palm on a hot electric burner thing as I grabbed on to the stove to support myself. Good times.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 7, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Iron Crowned posted:

I forgot I had turned a burner on and put my hand on it. I was approximately 27 at the time.

My mom did that at my apartment when she was in her 60's. Turned on the stove, wasn't sure if it was hot, touched the burner to check.

I think that may have been the first time she's used an electric stove.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm sorry I'm late but those anchor videos are so fascinating! When I first discovered them hundreds of pages back months ago (maybe in this thread?) they were so fun to watch that they led me to spending a fun couple days reading every version of this OSHA thread that I could get my hands on.
:)

What's awesome is not too many videos are gone

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Marcade posted:

Is your cousin Ron Swanson, or the star of a TLC show involving a lot of doctors?

He had a metabolism that would make hummingbirds jealous. Especially when we were in our early 20s.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Uthor posted:

I was making a tube of cinnamon rolls one morning when I was ~12 or so. Took them out of the oven, leaned over to smell them, and burned a line across my chest with the edge of the cookie sheet.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Uthor posted:

At university I was using the kitchen draw handles as a beer bottle opener but I didn't realise it was also removing a thin sliver of glass off the top of the bottle inside the cap.

Despite drinking out of these bottles all evening I didn't cut my mouth. I did however slip whilst opening one and stick it into my wrist. I now have a scar that makes me look like I attempted suicide in the past.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Was drunk and decided to melt a whole bunch of fresh spinach into my freshly made ramen soup by using the over the stove microwave and a giant Pyrex glass measuring bowl.

Trying to take it out of the microwave I poured it all over my front. I did have the brains to lean into the kitchen sink and desperately spray myself down with the sadly tepid water.

It turns out my bra saved me from a whole bunch of damage. I ended up with a bright red v where it burned me in my cleavage and thank God that went away completely after a few months. That was so stupid you do not risk your face and chest!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I reached for something under the sink, and caught the serrated edge of an aluminum foil box across my ring finger. There's still a jagged scar because it never was going to heal straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hungover cooking bacon in a pan, went without mishap, wanted to drain some of the fat off before frying eggs. Oh here is an empty solo cup that'll be great to pour hot bacon grease into. Cue cup melting and grease pouring directly onto my kitchen floor. Didn't actually injure anyone but got drat close and lucky.