Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Brawnfire posted:

I will never, NEVER understand how bacon packaging ended up like it is

I don't know if that's local or whatever, if some other happy folk in some other sunny town have invented an actual functional loving bacon package but

christ

Omfg this

Also, separating the bacon pieces without destroying them is almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a package last week that practically became bacon lace as I pulled it apart, it's like the fat came par-rendered

On a different topic, I don't know if this happens to other people or if I'm an alien but sometimes the cartilege in my ear cone seems to "crackle" or "crinkle" for short periods. It goes away eventually, but still. It's annoying!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The solution to the bacon-falling-apart problem is to only buy thick bacon,

I'm not saying it has to be those "mega thick, 1/4" slice" ones, but just something that is at least a little thicker than rice paper.

Agree on the packaging. When I first open a pack of bacon, I take it all out, throw the package away, and then place whatever isn't cooked then and there in a 1 gallon zip-top bag.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

When I first open a pack of bacon, I take it all out, throw the package away, and then place whatever isn't cooked then and there in a 1 gallon zip-top bag.

I separate it into two slice portions, then roll each of them up, and they fit just fine in a quart-sized bag with room to spare. That way in the morning, I just grab a roll of bacon (or two if my roommate wants some), and fry those bitches in the pan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Since we had Amazon complaints recently, I figure this is a good place for this:

https://miniondeathcult.libsyn.com/unlocked-i-often-say-amazon-is-the-bernie-sanders-of-employers-interview-with-amazon-driver-haley-brown

Don't use Amazon folks.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Whenever someone refers to my partner as 'your man' or someone talking to him refers to me as 'your girl'. We're not each others possessions this is creepy

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've had to call people for my work this past week. Now, I hate calling people just in general. I don't even like calling my relatives. But fine whatever, I'm getting paid.

But the number of people who have thought I was a telemarketer or a scammer! No, no. I am not trying to sell you anything and I'm not trying to scam you! I am just trying to put a name in our ancient database, mkay?

So telemarketers and scammers are a new peeve, because not only are they annoying in themselves, but they're making an already unpleasant task even harder. gently caress those people!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

Whenever someone refers to my partner as 'your man' or someone talking to him refers to me as 'your girl'. We're not each others possessions this is creepy

"the boyfriend"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

"the boyfriend"

Ugh oh my god this one too!! He's a human being!! Talk about him like he's a real person deserving of respect!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Please, the preferred nomenclature is "[Borat Voice] my wife!"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People need to stop making fun of accents. I know I sound like a deep woods swampland Texas redneck, I am one. But you don't have to think I'm stupid for it. Wait until I prove it, it won't take long. If you open a conversation by laughing at my dialect you are a dick.

Wait until you hear me talk to kinfolk. That there is a bit worth laughin at I tells ya, you ain't know goshitall dangit!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The American use of the word "holiday" to mean, as far as I can tell, literally any day that any person has ever designated as being related to anything. Do you have to go to work? Then it's not a holiday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

The American use of the word "holiday" to mean, as far as I can tell, literally any day that any person has ever designated as being related to anything. Do you have to go to work? Then it's not a holiday.

Give us a break, we only get ten holidays a year, if we're lucky enough to work in an office.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

Yes. The annoying part of this is that it's so random. Depending on the holiday, most things may be closed, or nothing is closed. Some are "important" enough to get a day off from work, others everybody goes to work.

When I lived in Europe, if it was a holiday, you were lucky to find anything open. Not to mention that a lot of their holidays were two-day holidays (e.g., Easter Monday).

If it were up to me, Election Day would be a Federal holiday, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's more like a guideline, because there aren't days that people universally don't have to go to work on. I've had jobs that required me at work 7 days a week forever, but I still considered stuff like Christmas and New Year's to be holidays.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

When I lived in Europe, if it was a holiday, you were lucky to find anything open. Not to mention that a lot of their holidays were two-day holidays (e.g., Easter Monday).

Dip Viscous posted:

It's more like a guideline, because there aren't days that people universally don't have to go to work on. I've had jobs that required me at work 7 days a week forever, but I still considered stuff like Christmas and New Year's to be holidays.
You're both doing the exact thing I'm complaining about. A holiday is a day off. If you're at work, it's not a holiday for you. It's nothing to do with what businesses are open or how many other people it is or is not a holiday for. If you're working, it's not a holiday. It's just a day.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous has to work that day, Christmas is no longer holy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Last November I celebrated the three-week Festival Of Covid by lying flat on my back and occasionally groaning.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

I interviewed at a place that while closed on certain "holidays" such as Christmas and New Years, if you wanted to get paid for it you had to use PTO. Needless to say I accepted an offer elsewhere.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Holiday has a literal meaning of Holy Day. So Kramering into a pet peeve thread and saying "If 'My Country/Company/Party' doesn't endorse your religion it is invalid" is a hell of a take. Yeah it's ok to call the Eids a Holiday even if the USA doesn't give you time off for it.

If this is not the point you are making, you are basically skirting on the damned razors edge of a popular Fascist talking point. (they love trotting out the 'day off work' definition of holiday, which is second to the literal definition. To invalidate minorities.)

Minority Holy days are still Holy to that minority and they are allowed to refer to it as such.

Ninja Edit : I could understand being upset poo poo like "Columbus Day" is called a Holiday in the USA even though it is a national Holiday where businesses are closed, since it is not considered Holy by anyone. Unless Chuds still like that guy. Don't get me wrong I love having a day off, but gently caress that guy, right in his dumb boat crashing ear.

Lap-Lem has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Apr 7, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lap-Lem posted:

Holiday has a literal meaning of Holy Day. So Kramering into a pet peeve thread and saying "If 'My Country/Company/Party' doesn't endorse your religion it is invalid" is a hell of a take. Yeah it's ok to call the Eids a Holiday even if the USA doesn't give you time off for it.

If this is not the point you are making, you are basically skirting on the damned razors edge of a popular Fascist talking point. (they love trotting out the 'day off work' definition of holiday, which is second to the literal definition. To invalidate minorities.)

Minority Holy days are still Holy to that minority and they are allowed to refer to it as such.
What the gently caress are you even talking about? The origin of the word "holiday" may be "holy day", but that's not what it means. Etymology is not the same as definition. A holy day and a holiday are not the same thing. Easter Tuesday is a holy day but not a holiday (unless you live in Tasmania, apparently).

Lap-Lem posted:

Ninja Edit : I could understand being upset poo poo like "Columbus Day" is called a Holiday in the USA even though it is a national Holiday where businesses are closed, since it is not considered Holy by anyone. Unless Chuds still like that guy. Don't get me wrong I love having a day off, but gently caress that guy, right in his dumb boat crashing ear.
I'm talking about how Americans use the word "holiday" to refer to random poo poo like "national eat a doughnut day" or whatever. That's not a holiday. It's just a day someone gave a name to. A holiday is a day (or longer period) away from responsibilities. Anyone can declare any day to be dedicated to anything they want; it doesn't mean anything.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about? The origin of the word "holiday" may be "holy day", but that's not what it means. Etymology is not the same as definition. A holy day and a holiday are not the same thing. Easter Tuesday is a holy day but not a holiday (unless you live in Tasmania, apparently).

This is literally not true, the word Holiday means Holy Day, not just in dictionary definition, but also to many people who are 'not you'.

holiday noun
hol·​i·​day | \ ˈhä-lə-ˌdā
, British usually ˈhä-lə-dē \
Definition of holiday

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : holy day
an important Muslim holiday
2 : a day on which one is exempt from work specifically : a day marked by a general suspension of work in commemoration of an event
will be closed for the July 4th holiday a national holiday plans for the holiday weekend
3 chiefly British : vacation —often used in the phrase on holiday going on holiday —often used in plural
spent the summer holidays in Spain
4 : a period of exemption or relief
corporations enjoying a tax holiday

Those 'evil others' are not factually wrong, you are, and you are using false "facts and logic" as a bludgeon to force your will upon them.

Your made up definition of the only way to use Holiday is wrong. accept it, or pick up your ball and go home.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lap-Lem posted:

This is literally not true, the word Holiday means Holy Day, not just in dictionary definition, but also to many people who are 'not you'.

holiday noun
hol·​i·​day | \ ˈhä-lə-ˌdā
, British usually ˈhä-lə-dē \
Definition of holiday

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : holy day
an important Muslim holiday
2 : a day on which one is exempt from work specifically : a day marked by a general suspension of work in commemoration of an event
will be closed for the July 4th holiday a national holiday plans for the holiday weekend
3 chiefly British : vacation —often used in the phrase on holiday going on holiday —often used in plural
spent the summer holidays in Spain
4 : a period of exemption or relief
corporations enjoying a tax holiday

Those 'evil others' are not factually wrong, you are, and you are using false "facts and logic" as a bludgeon to force your will upon them.

Your made up definition of the only way to use Holiday is wrong. accept it, or pick up your ball and go home.

I feel like you're reading a lot into his posts that isn't there and should relax a bit. He's not "forcing his will" on anyone, good grief, he's talking about a semantic difference between Australian and American English.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I will never, NEVER understand how bacon packaging ended up like it is

I don't know if that's local or whatever, if some other happy folk in some other sunny town have invented an actual functional loving bacon package but

christ

Baconsplaining (this is a guess):

You want to vacuum seal it so air doesn't make the fat go off. Put slices on top of a flat sheet of plastic, put another flat sheet on top, suck out the air then weld the sheets together. That squishes the slices together hard so they stick. Vacuum sealed hams or big deli meat before slicing is similarly squished together, but there's only one thing in there so you don't notice it as much. Non-vacuum sealed packaging would have much worse shelf life.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I feel like you're reading a lot into his posts that isn't there and should relax a bit. He's not "forcing his will" on anyone, good grief, he's talking about a semantic difference between Australian and American English.

In their defense, I wouldn't give Tiggum the benefit of the doubt at this point either.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

I'm talking about how Americans use the word "holiday" to refer to random poo poo like "national eat a doughnut day" or whatever. That's not a holiday. It's just a day someone gave a name to. A holiday is a day (or longer period) away from responsibilities. Anyone can declare any day to be dedicated to anything they want; it doesn't mean anything.

What general term do you use to describe days like Christmas, Easter, Australia Day, etc.? Would you just called them "named days"?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My peeve is that every year, on my work google calendar it marks things like easter monday as holidays but every year I forget we don't actually get those days off as federal employees. I was excited for a long weekend last week but then my boss scheduled a meeting for that monday and I remembered once again that it's only a "holiday".

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

What general term do you use to describe days like Christmas, Easter, Australia Day, etc.? Would you just called them "named days"?

As per what Tiggum said, he'd still call them holidays because you get a day off.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Amoeba102 posted:

As per what Tiggum said, he'd still call them holidays because you get a day off.

but what if you're a retail worker and you don't get the day off but it's still a loving socially significant day

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

Last year was the first Christmas I didn’t work since 2014. Was Christmas not a holiday for 2014-2019 for me? I still did christmasy stuff, just worked that day.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

If you're working, it's not a holiday. It's just a day.

Unholiday. Because work is unholy.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Last year was the first Christmas I didn't work since 2014. Was Christmas not a holiday for 2014-2019 for me? I still did christmasy stuff, just worked that day.

InediblePenguin posted:

but what if you're a retail worker and you don't get the day off but it's still a loving socially significant day

Then it's not a holiday for you.

Some worked examples. Christmas falls on a saturday or sunday - you get a bonus day off on the monday or tuesday, that is called the Christmas Day Holiday (like this year it's Mon the 27th). Others like Anzac day falling on a weekend doesn't get the holiday on the monday (still Sun 25th, not actually a holiday this year imo).

Amoeba102 has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Apr 8, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dip Viscous posted:

Public holidays.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
idk why i got involved in this conversation in the first place, it's loving tiggum and someone foolish enough to agree with tiggum

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Amoeba102 posted:

The example I gave was not getting the day off on Christmas, which apparently means it's not a holiday for me. If I get a day off work it's a holiday, if I'm at work it's not. That part I got, but not what the general term would be for days that are significant enough to have names assigned to them.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Public holidays.

Thank you.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Apr 8, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum would hate Canada where we call going to Cuba, at any time of the year, 'going on holiday'. Ain't nothing holy about cuba

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
This might be the single worst loving most boring conversation I've ever read in the 16 years I've been on these forums. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, all of you.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

Tiggum would hate Canada where we call going to Cuba, at any time of the year, 'going on holiday'. Ain't nothing holy about cuba

Going on holiday to Cuba and working remotely

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FreudianSlippers posted:

I always carry a claymore incase I need to cleave any foes in twain

I have a kaiser blade. Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade.

My uncle set me up to deliver that line because he calls it a sling blade and had never heard of a kaiser blade. I did the line and included a bit about potted meat, hmm hmm. I thought I'd get a laugh out of him.

Nothing. He had no idea what I was talking about. He hasn't seen the movie. 76 years old and never saw Slingblade.

I do have a kaiser blade for real. It's super handy for brush work.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When people you have had 0 contact with, doesn't know anyone you do, and you never even knew existed randomly contacts you, and all they say is 'hey'. Expecting you to start the actual conversation.
If you're an artist or whatever on twitter/tumblr/etc with some visibility you'll generally end up getting a bunch of them over time.

And it's like, don't reach out to contact me if you literally don't have a single thing to say. You want to contact me, but you're pushing all the work of starting up the conversation and etc onto me.
In my experience anyone who genuinely has a question or wants to strike up conversation usually does so as part of initiating the conversation.

I generally avoid them because I feel it's all too likely that if I engage with them they'll just turn into those 'we're friends now, why are you ignoring me I thought we were friends?' emotional vampires who can't discern between someone being kind/taking some time to chat and someone being their friend. (Or someone fishing for free 'friend art'.)
(I'm sorry, there really isn't a better term for them, the kind of people where if you interact with them they just latch on, and keep demanding you interact/console/support/help them. All the while being emotionally manipulative. Had my fair share of those interactions in the past, not keen on having any more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Walking the same way on a street where only one other person is walking, and they just keep pace uncomfortably close behind you instead of crossing the street or passing you or anything. Get away from me motherfucker.

Call me an antisocial shut in goon but I will turn and do a loop around a block before I just walk blocks with some rear end in a top hat ten feet behind me going the same way. It's fine in a city with lots of people on the street but where I am now and it's just the two of us... noooooooooooo