Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

There are no hard stops in the whole game. It might look like there is, but either you can go do something else for a bonus (especially on a certain Shivers check) or Kim will step in.

IIRC you mostly have to fail a few times for the fail forward to kick in? Which I actually had a little trouble with this time, involving Titus and a Logic check.

Spoilers for.. lots of stuff This was a low Int/Mot high Phys/Psyc run. I'd waited to ask Joyce about the case until I found my badge to see what happened, which apparently meant never getting asked to look into the truck drivers. I'd already boosted logic to my tobacco increased maximum of 3, and spoken to the sunday friend and found the secret passage. Having failed to find the truth in the autopsy I didn't have overwhelming bonuses, but also couldn't work out any way of unlocking it again. Luckily I'd been saving pretty often but oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Does anyone know if there is any greater significance to the small shack you can enter in the fishing village? The one with the single chair in it, near the boat Harry wants to sleep under? It always gave me a really creepy vibe for some reason.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The washer woman whose.. name I should remember, can give a story about it if you ask about the last time the cops came to the village IIRC.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am extremely tempted to do another high physical and motorics run, speedrunning to get my gun back, and listen to skill agreement involved just for the potential voiceovers because I apparently missed it on my first final cut run :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know you're supposed to fail forward in this game, that all success all the time is boring, but drat me, I'm having a hard time it's impossible for me not to savescum or quit for a while when I get stuck on a roll I'm absolutely doomed to fail otherwise. Or when I finally opened that ledger and realized I'd Kinda hosed Up, that was a kick in the balls

Too much "what if" and anxiety over it :smith:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've savescummed twice so far in my first playthrough, and I have no regrets: first was to make the jump to get my coat and get into the harbor, because I wanted that coat and I thought I didn't have enough time left to wait and steal an ID, and second was when listening to the headphones in the church, because it wouldn't let me progress the quest dialogue any further without it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I know you're supposed to fail forward in this game, that all success all the time is boring, but drat me, I'm having a hard time it's impossible for me not to savescum or quit for a while when I get stuck on a roll I'm absolutely doomed to fail otherwise. Or when I finally opened that ledger and realized I'd Kinda hosed Up, that was a kick in the balls

Too much "what if" and anxiety over it :smith:

This was hard for me too, but as soon as I decided I was going to play through it twice I totally stopped caring about failing rolls. And that's when I failed to run away from Garte and now there's times I hope I fail because something funny is going to happen.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I opened the Ledger, and then shivers told me to go outside and took it off my hands. The city is my friend

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

This was hard for me too, but as soon as I decided I was going to play through it twice I totally stopped caring about failing rolls. And that's when I failed to run away from Garte and now there's times I hope I fail because something funny is going to happen.

Having a perfectionist streak a mile wide sucks :brainworms:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I will say, you are generally intended to find the Lledger and root out it's secrets. As a player of video games you are expected to want to find things out, and experience content.

Doing weird mechanical gymanastics to test edge cases is also fun, admittedly. But you succeeded. Don't you want to know about this rotting sack of meat you are stuck in, Officer? And it's past?

EDIT : Change up your clothes, take many drugs, you can get the skill points to do most things eventually. Except that loving sandwich.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 7, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vagabong posted:

Does anyone know if there is any greater significance to the small shack you can enter in the fishing village? The one with the single chair in it, near the boat Harry wants to sleep under? It always gave me a really creepy vibe for some reason.

disclaimer: I am only on the evening of day 2 in final cut so things might've changed since the original

but this is a post I saved, I believe by noted poster "dead gay comedy forums," about that:

so, it is a pet hypothesis but Disco's textual strength definitely supports it and its 'connectivity' (so to speak) is hella tight to allow storytelling by implication or subtlety

along the game, you are given subtle hints by the major skills in that regard when dealing with questions related to what basically seems to be a very sinister, sadistic undercurrent of violence at the fringes of Revachol. Cunoesse. Illegal snuff millieus. The Besmirties, the high-level organized crime in the city, which is mainly referenced through the figure of La Puta Madre.

If you have high enough Shivers, Inland Empire and Esprit-de-Corps, you get a couple of insights about questioning yourself about being corrupt that brings out to imagination a figure that likes to tie his peones to chairs near roses while they are pleading for mercy - IIRC there is a mention of that being recorded there. One Shivers check about the geography of Revachol when investigating Ruby - again, IIRC and my interpretation - implies about some nooks and crannies of the city having roses being irrigated with blood from torture. Finally, at the tail end of the game, I don't recall exactly when, there is another Shivers check that mentions a scene with some of the above details along a corpse bleeding with a square hole, which I hope that you have read the previous case files on Harry's ledger to go "omfg".

(I am stretching hard my memory here but the figure mentioned also wears a bow tie, like the one you pick up there?)

bringing all together, I would say that the empty room with the red chair appears to be an execution/torture spot by the Puta Madre (either the organization or the head, but the man with the roses is definitely involved) where they also record the thing for the milieus as a means to enforce authority through terror and get some money from sadistic fucks. The chair has red all over it and Inland Empire mentions that it is blood. With the knowledge that this part of the city is a bloc noir, as Kim points out, a corner of Revachol that does not exist in any public sense, organized crime can definitely use such places for any purpose

like I said it is a pet hypothesis lmao

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The brief callback to the square bullet hole case blew my mind too. It's a very good, fun, and funny game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
On later playthroughs I savescum things I remember failing the last time to see what changes but that's kind of it. Otherwise it's kind of made on the assumption that failure is not just OK but a thing that's supposed to happen.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I've gotta agree pretty strongly with just sticking it out and accepting the failures. So you can't examine the body immediately, so what. It becomes an integral part of your investigation's story. I can vividly recall the struggles of not getting the body down until the third day, and everything turned out just fine.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ShakeZula posted:

I've savescummed twice so far in my first playthrough, and I have no regrets: first was to make the jump to get my coat and get into the harbor, because I wanted that coat and I thought I didn't have enough time left to wait and steal an ID, and second was when listening to the headphones in the church, because it wouldn't let me progress the quest dialogue any further without it.

Aren't these both white checks? Savescumming to complete checks you can try a dozen times is kinda weird, but also doesn't really matter because white checks don't have any fun failure states, it basically just puts things off for a while (unless your stats are so bad on thay front you will in fact fail a dozen times in a row, I guess)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

GlyphGryph posted:

Aren't these both white checks? Savescumming to complete checks you can try a dozen times is kinda weird, but also doesn't really matter because white checks don't have any fun failure states.

White checks gate content for you. Like if you fail the white check to get the filament from the icecream fridge and can't reset it, you're hosed. You can't advance the particular plot element that covers. You have to save-scum it or cheat physical instrument to see what happens.
The red checks, I agree you can fail them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am not sure what you mean. You just need to do any of the many things you can do to reset and reopen the check. It gates content but you def don't need to savescum or cheat to go back and try again, just decide whether or not its worth putting points into at some point to get it done

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ShakeZula posted:

Stealing the ID doesn't help you get in anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tylana posted:

I will say, you are generally intended to find the Lledger and root out it's secrets. As a player of video games you are expected to want to find things out, and experience content.

Doing weird mechanical gymanastics to test edge cases is also fun, admittedly. But you succeeded. Don't you want to know about this rotting sack of meat you are stuck in, Officer? And it's past?

EDIT : Change up your clothes, take many drugs, you can get the skill points to do most things eventually. Except that loving sandwich.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've gotta agree pretty strongly with just sticking it out and accepting the failures. So you can't examine the body immediately, so what. It becomes an integral part of your investigation's story. I can vividly recall the struggles of not getting the body down until the third day, and everything turned out just fine.
I get your point and agree with it but, well, the word "just" implies that it's easy to accept failure, and in my case it's not - even when it's clear the consequences are either nonexistent or ultimately positive (or at least funny). Psychology thing. :shrug:

(now that i say that maybe this game qualifies as exposure therapy :thunk:)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Patch 1.2 is out

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Game still won't start for me, lol. EDIT: Although I'm not sure if Epic got the patch yet, or if I just downloaded an update to something else. Ugh.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 7, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A few white checks fail into progress anyway. I just don't spend level ups until I fail a white check and then on the spot level it up and try again. Not good for min/max except I'm an art cop, commie, jamais vu and playing on hardcore (which is virtually identical to normal) so I get bonus XP, maybe 10 level ups per day.

Hardcore seems like you get 10% less money from clicking on money laying around, the white/red skill checks are all 1-3 levels higher, but every quest that normally gives 10xp gives 15xp. So far that's all I noticed. Also the title screen music changes.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
still no update on steam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

still no update on steam

I was gonna say, I haven't seen it yet either even after relaunching Steam. Guess it's not just me!

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The patch is a mess. It fixed the VO issues on PS4, and you can get things out of the (still) textureless car if you try a bunch of times, but there's other bugs that still aren't fixed and some people can't get their saves to load at all post-patch.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Must just be Playstation only atm

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Still no sign of the patch on PS4. I have a lot of goodwill towards the devs for creating a masterpiece but this is beyond ridiculous now and the way they've handled this situation has been atrocious. I already own a PC copy of the game- I purchased the console edition purely as a gesture of support- and they've completely bollocksed this up. I'm trying not to get too Mad About Videogames but this is totally unacceptable.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I get your point and agree with it but, well, the word "just" implies that it's easy to accept failure, and in my case it's not - even when it's clear the consequences are either nonexistent or ultimately positive (or at least funny). Psychology thing. :shrug:

(now that i say that maybe this game qualifies as exposure therapy :thunk:)

I can't say the flow works out for everyone, because I've only done one full playthrough, but when I hit a wall in one area I could always make progress in the one next door. When in doubt, consult Kim, and he usually will say something that gives you permission to check out somewhere else until you can get a skill point or whatever.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

pablo gbscobar posted:

Still no sign of the patch on PS4. I have a lot of goodwill towards the devs for creating a masterpiece but this is beyond ridiculous now and the way they've handled this situation has been atrocious. I already own a PC copy of the game- I purchased the console edition purely as a gesture of support- and they've completely bollocksed this up. I'm trying not to get too Mad About Videogames but this is totally unacceptable.

Has there been any communication from the devs about this? I'm not too unhappy as the world-building is enough to make up for the very real and major flaws, but I'm also only at the start of day 3 and haven't come up to any progress breaking bugs yet.

Funniest bug so far is after I sent Kim away to take the body in, I was speaking to Siileng and mentioned the Apricot Isles or w/e. A ghostly Kim chipped in with a sigh and head shake. How? :iiam:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Bidness posted:

The patch is a mess. It fixed the VO issues on PS4, and you can get things out of the (still) textureless car if you try a bunch of times, but there's other bugs that still aren't fixed and some people can't get their saves to load at all post-patch.

The patch isn't even out on ps4 yet, what the hell Keanu

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Funniest bug so far is after I sent Kim away to take the body in, I was speaking to Siileng and mentioned the Apricot Isles or w/e. A ghostly Kim chipped in with a sigh and head shake. How? :iiam:

Kim has extremely high Esprit De Corps

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They really did a great job with Kim hitting the balance so that he’s the competent professional without being a total buzzkill that won’t tolerate your shenanigans and with a high Espirit de Corps it even points out that though he doesn’t believe supernatural stuff is afoot he still takes it seriously when you claim to get psychic hunches because he just assumes your intuition is picking up on something he missed.

He really is the best partner you could ask for

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

christmas boots posted:

They really did a great job with Kim hitting the balance so that he’s the competent professional without being a total buzzkill that won’t tolerate your shenanigans and with a high Espirit de Corps it even points out that though he doesn’t believe supernatural stuff is afoot he still takes it seriously when you claim to get psychic hunches because he just assumes your intuition is picking up on something he missed.

He really is the best partner you could ask for

Yeah he's a perfect foil for Harry's wacky personality and greatly helps him out when he struggles. A buddy cop movie of these two would be a great thing to watch.

On a side note, wasn't there something somewhere implying that Kim was gay?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah he's a perfect foil for Harry's wacky personality and greatly helps him out when he struggles. A buddy cop movie of these two would be a great thing to watch.

If there is I haven't found it yet but in my current playthrough he did find it extremely amusing that I didn't appear to understand homosexuality when sizing up the balcony smoker

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

lol @ the board game getting multiple positive modifiers unlocking it for you to try again and again with Kim if you gently caress up the check until he cracks and plays

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah you can have a conversation with him where he straight up says he's gay, I think it's the same one the last post mentioned where you're confused by the magnetism of the smoking guy and that gives you the thought about your potential homosexuality

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kraftwerk posted:

Not even implied IIRC. But you need to pass a composure check when talking to the Smoker to get the Homo-Sexual Underground thought and then once you've finished internalizing it you can ask Kim and he'll tell you simply because that thought takes 8 hours to finish and Kim would prefer you start focusing on the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
kim is cool as hell, and if you put the pieces together (the REAL secret) and tell him you're going to refer to him as "kimball" from now on, he simply tells you that youre not. and he is correct