Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oh my god.

Literally turning Gmail (in accounts) off and on again fixed it.

Holy poo poo.

Mail works fine now, for both Gmail and iCloud.

Thank you so much! Very much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I spoke too soon. It's crashing again. Sigh. It just doesn't like gmail. Will try some other apps.

E: Spark is working well with Gmail and iCloud. Thank you goons!

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 1, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Signed up for the YouTube premium free trial this week.

Picture in Picture *still* doesn’t work in the YouTube app, what utter cretins they are.

The only change is no ads, which I already have for free in-browser (adblock). The browser version which I have to use (along with a hacky shortcut) to make PiP work anyway.

Good one Google. They’re way off with the pricing for YouTube Premium too - the music offering has zero value to me, and £11.99 a month for no ads on content that’s already free is insanely bad value.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

wooger posted:

Signed up for the YouTube premium free trial this week.

Picture in Picture *still* doesn’t work in the YouTube app, what utter cretins they are.

The only change is no ads, which I already have for free in-browser (adblock). The browser version which I have to use (along with a hacky shortcut) to make PiP work anyway.

Good one Google. They’re way off with the pricing for YouTube Premium too - the music offering has zero value to me, and £11.99 a month for no ads on content that’s already free is insanely bad value.

So maybe you should cancel it?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is 1Blocker still the go-to for ad blocking? It would be nice if it also blocked YouTube adds, but there doesn't seem to be a blocker that does so (that I could find). Also family sharing along with Mac support is very nice.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’ve tried a bunch and 1blocker still works best for me

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

benisntfunny posted:

So maybe you should cancel it?

Oh already done.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Random question: Why the hell hasn't Google Maps (or Apple Maps, but this is something I'd expect from Google first) integrated a toll-estimator into it's driving directions? It will happily tell you "This route requires tolls", but doesn't tell you which roads have the tolls or how much they'll be. Is there a reason for this?

EDIT: Actually, Google Maps in the browser will tell you which roads are the toll roads if you drill down to turn-by-turn, but still doesn't estimate how much they'll be.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random question: Why the hell hasn't Google Maps (or Apple Maps, but this is something I'd expect from Google first) integrated a toll-estimator into it's driving directions? It will happily tell you "This route requires tolls", but doesn't tell you which roads have the tolls or how much they'll be. Is there a reason for this?

EDIT: Actually, Google Maps in the browser will tell you which roads are the toll roads if you drill down to turn-by-turn, but still doesn't estimate how much they'll be.

Maybe too many variables that will clutter up the interface? Where I'm from, the cost of going through a toll can depend on...

1. Time of day
2. How many people in the car
3. Type of car
4. Weekend vs non-weekend

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You would also need some sort of API to grab that data technologically otherwise you have to have people/employees report it somehow.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Those are both valid issues but....doesn't seem beyond Google's power? Certainly they seem more do-able than having a car drive down every street in the world taking a picture every 5 seconds?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Street view data is extremely valuable, toll estimation not so much.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Those are both valid issues but....doesn't seem beyond Google's power? Certainly they seem more do-able than having a car drive down every street in the world taking a picture every 5 seconds?

Google isn't the problem, it's the governments that would need to report that. Or the only other option is to drive down each toll road for the toll amounts

You're not wrong, i think it would be a really neat feature given i'm on a toll road often - but technologically i think it proves difficult with so many disparate systems to think of in each state

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's actually interesting to think about because Google does have accurate pricing for gas stations which can change prices multiple times per day. But in that perticular case it's getting a data feed from a 3rd party company who's sole job is to track oil and gas prices and sell that data.

For Google to get accurate toll information it would need an API or a 3rd party company to supply Google with that data. Or I suppose they could have a prompt for their Waze users to either input or confirm their toll pricing (which isn't always obvious!)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Waze does have toll estimation and you add which EZPasses you have so it can do the in-state calculations. I had to use it a bunch to calculate reimbursements.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I feel like it really wouldn’t be that hard or time-intensive to just have some intern go pull up toll rates from some DOT website and feed them into a DB somewhere. I don’t really feel like that would be the limiting factor on implementing that sort of thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you think it's that easy go build the system to collect the data yourself and start selling API access to it. Then sell it to Google when they come knocking.

Or they'll just build their own and put you out of business.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

If you think it's that easy go build the system to collect the data yourself and start selling API access to it. Then sell it to Google when they come knocking.

Or they'll just build their own and put you out of business.
I absofuckin-lutely could give you the cash and I-Pass toll rates for every exit/toll plaza on the Illinois Tollway system in an afternoon. :confused:

Surely if Google was paying me I could go do it for other US turnpikes too! I doubt there are an intractable number of toll roads in the US to make data collection be more than like a week’s worth of work for a small team.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah i don't believe for a second that google, a multi-billion dollar global empire built on data collection and aggregation, could not somehow keep track of what all the toll roads in america charge with at least "pretty good" accuracy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well my point is if it was easy it would already be done. Either there's some irritating gotcha, marketing folks decided there's no demand, or they decided they wouldn't profit enough off it to make it worth it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh it turns out a company called "tollsmart" is already doing all this stuff

https://www.tollsmart.com/

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

fourwood posted:

I feel like it really wouldn’t be that hard or time-intensive to just have some intern go pull up toll rates from some DOT website and feed them into a DB somewhere. I don’t really feel like that would be the limiting factor on implementing that sort of thing.
All I said was literally just that manually collecting the data shouldn’t be what’s stopping them since there were a lot of posts like “well of course they can’t because they need centralized APIs to pull the data from”.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm so glad I don't live in some backwards rear end state with toll roads. Just raise taxes slightly you lunatics.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

xzzy posted:

Well my point is if it was easy it would already be done. Either there's some irritating gotcha, marketing folks decided there's no demand, or they decided they wouldn't profit enough off it to make it worth it.
If you display an incorrect number, boy howdy are you gonna get some irate calls/emails.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna call Google and complain

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm so glad I don't live in some backwards rear end state with toll roads. Just raise taxes slightly you lunatics.

Well they do that too.

Around here the tolls were supposed to go away once the highway was paid for but you can imagine how that went.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Is there a way to get labels from Gmail to show up on the inbox in the stock Mail app (like as a label on the actual list of emails)?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vince MechMahon posted:

They’d have to raise them a lot.

Road maintenance is really expensive, and property taxes in basically any suburban area don’t come close to covering the cost of road maintenance - let alone rural areas with huge stretches of road between things.

The road maintenance costs are the same per area of land whether it’s in a poor rural state or NYC, and there are very few people to tax in one of those.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wooger posted:

They’d have to raise them a lot.

Road maintenance is really expensive, and property taxes in basically any suburban area don’t come close to covering the cost of road maintenance - let alone rural areas with huge stretches of road between things.

The road maintenance costs are the same per area of land whether it’s in a poor rural state or NYC, and there are very few people to tax in one of those.

They should raise them a lot then on the richest people in every state, then. If you can afford a mcmansion you can pay more taxes. Tolls. Ridiculous. Like we're living in loving feudal England.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ironically if you look at wooger's rap sheet it sounds like they are deeply nostalgic for feudal england

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crank up them gas taxes and registration fees, make people who actually use the roads pay for them.

(which to bring this derail back around, is the justification for toll roads)

(also bathe in the tears of gas guzzler owners who whine that hybrids/EV's pay less)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xzzy posted:

Crank up them gas taxes and registration fees, make people who actually use the roads pay for them.

(which to bring this derail back around, is the justification for toll roads)

(also bathe in the tears of gas guzzler owners who whine that hybrids/EV's pay less)

This is also a good solution. Anything other than having to stop every five miles to give a guy in a booth $5.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Does anyone know of a good IRC client, preferably one that works well with ZNC? SSHing into my bouncer to use irssi in tmux works great on actual computers but not so much on my iPhone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kazinsal posted:

Does anyone know of a good IRC client, preferably one that works well with ZNC? SSHing into my bouncer to use irssi in tmux works great on actual computers but not so much on my iPhone.

Igloo is the best one I've found. I wish the dev wasn't a creep.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao 14.5's Podcasts app downloaded 28gb of podcasts to my phone. Apple has made a huge shitshow out of it and the only way to get rid of all the past podcasts is either one by one or deleting the entire app and it's data from my iPhone. Back to OverCast for me.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Is there an app that can play a picture slideshow from a networked Windows server AND recursively traverse subfolders?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a good iOS+macOS alternative I should use instead of Mail.app? Mail.app often chokes on the many GitHub emails I receive (“This message cannot be displayed because an error occurred”…okay, what error? And why are you eventually able to display the message?), as well as the odd marketing email here or there. I’ve been generally fine with Mail.app on either platform but I just want a mail client that can handle ALL of my emails, not just most of them. Bonus points if I can sync accounts I set up between the two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honestly just start trying some out, I’ve found email clients are pretty subjective depending on the individuals workflow.

I use Airmail across both platforms fwiw

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Is there an app where I can take a picture of a receipt or bill and it saves a pdf and does text recognition and perhaps saves metadata like bill totals, date, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, why did they get rid of the list of podcasts with recently posted episodes! I don’t need a list of Recently Followed pods Apple!

I liked having that for podcasts I didn’t subscribe to but might pick out an episode or two every now and then.