Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Holy poo poo, lol.

Just got a request to bump a VM to 32 cores and 128GB of RAM.

Just... No.

We have a couple VMs with like 96GB of RAM but they're overloaded peoplesoft servers, beancounters put a cap on the number of servers there could be, and the support contract requires that they have that much RAM for the number of peoplesoft domains/users. It does grab up all that RAM, but it's kind of hard to tell how necessary it is because it's peoplesoft/java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any time I upgrade esx servers and have to vmotion vm’s around my boss freaks out

DONT MOVE EXCHANGE WE MIGHT GET AUDITED

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Turns out today is the day we discover nobody at our MSP calendered renewing the CA server's certificate.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

shortspecialbus posted:

We have a couple VMs with like 96GB of RAM but they're overloaded peoplesoft servers, beancounters put a cap on the number of servers there could be, and the support contract requires that they have that much RAM for the number of peoplesoft domains/users. It does grab up all that RAM, but it's kind of hard to tell how necessary it is because it's peoplesoft/java.

loving hell. If it's more than 16GB, buy a loving physical server.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

What? No. That's terrible advice. :(

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Manufacturer: QEMU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

It isn't 2010 anymore, friend.

96GB is still acceptable, although on the high end, and it keeps all the numerous other benefits of a VM that you'd lose with a physical host.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

RAM-wise, I'll draw the line at anything using more than about an eighth of the host's total memory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

RAM-wise, I'll draw the line at anything using more than about an eighth of the host's total memory.

Like, per process or in total?

Because if it’s total you’ve got some overprovisioned hosts to autoscale friend

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Like, per process or in total?

Because if it’s total you’ve got some overprovisioned hosts to autoscale friend

Autoscale? What is this magic you speak of?

What I meant is that no one guest should use more than about 1/8th of a host's RAM. My environment usually has 20-30 guests per host, so anything that takes up more than an eighth just gums up the works. That's more a gut feel than a scientific assessment.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah also don't put too many icons on the desktop, that also gums up the internet

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

spankmeister posted:

Yeah also don't put too many icons on the desktop, that also gums up the internet

Reminds me of a bug report I recently read, concerning too many icons on the desktop: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2021/02/16/arranging-invisible-icons-in-quadratic-time/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Autoscale? What is this magic you speak of?

What I meant is that no one guest should use more than about 1/8th of a host's RAM. My environment usually has 20-30 guests per host, so anything that takes up more than an eighth just gums up the works. That's more a gut feel than a scientific assessment.

We have one that takes 128GB out of 256GB on that host. It's slightly annoying to work around because although another server is identical with 256GB, the other 3 hosts are only 192GB

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, when did Eli the Computer Guy go completely off the rails?

I was looking for some videos on Squid as I've never used it before and may need to for work and found an old video of his on it from about 6 years ago. Out of curiosity I clicked on his other videos and its just pages of him in what appears to be an orange prison jumper ranting about all sorts of fun stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just been handed the requirements for a new cloud service that a law firm are taking on, and it's asking questions about the subnets in use locally, and the public IP of the device that will be doing the VPN tunnel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Our PLC devices do not support DHCP reservations. We need 40 static IP's, thanks".

FU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hughmoris posted:

Reminds me of a bug report I recently read, concerning too many icons on the desktop: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2021/02/16/arranging-invisible-icons-in-quadratic-time/
Well this answers the question I had when I realised I could still save stuff to the desktop after it was "full" but didn't feel like fixing my inevitable fuckups if I was right.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

I've just been handed the requirements for a new cloud service that a law firm are taking on, and it's asking questions about the subnets in use locally, and the public IP of the device that will be doing the VPN tunnel.

It’s technically on someone else’s servers, that’s cloud right? Oh btw here’s the fat client install for our client server app

GreenNight posted:

"Our PLC devices do not support DHCP reservations. We need 40 static IP's, thanks".

FU

FU indeed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like somebody used voice to text in the To: field

code:
IamvoicerecordingthiswouldyoupleasetakecareofMaydayheissentbackhispreferredtimestochatwiththatCraigthankyouhopeyouhadagreatrideI'minmycarheadingtothegolfcourseplayingatthemannerwhichisupnearMiltonIdidn'trealizehowcloseitwouldbetoyousomaybeI'llcomeupthereandsneakouthangoutwithyouforlittlewhilebutI'llbestinkyandsmelly@companyname.com

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GreenNight posted:

FU

More like Un-P LCs

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

i am a moron posted:

So as a manager you:

- didn’t ensure any sort of testing happened
- didn’t look at the schedule to see when the change was going in
- were surprised someone said I’m not doing that poo poo on a holiday (extremely defensible)
- planned on guilt tripping someone into fixing something after you didn’t bother doing the few things your position requires from you here

:waycool:

I was being unnecessarily hyperbolic and dickish by implying I would guilt trip when really I was just venting/frustrated that my own decision to excuse testing was the fault. I should be less of a dick

I hadn't seen this up until now and I can confirm when I saw the tech yesterday morning the first thing I said was I totally messed up and thought we were on site when that happened and i also messed up by saying not doing testing is an ok choice and of course, thanks for coming in, make sure you email so and so and get my that OT sheet to sign!

sorry for jumping back a couple of pages but i felt i ought to pay a bit of my penance here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

We need "I'm venting, but I know I'm wrong" tags

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

lol, yes

[idiot] [/idiot]

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

:goonsay:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

angry armadillo posted:

I was being unnecessarily hyperbolic and dickish by implying I would guilt trip when really I was just venting/frustrated that my own decision to excuse testing was the fault. I should be less of a dick

I hadn't seen this up until now and I can confirm when I saw the tech yesterday morning the first thing I said was I totally messed up and thought we were on site when that happened and i also messed up by saying not doing testing is an ok choice and of course, thanks for coming in, make sure you email so and so and get my that OT sheet to sign!

sorry for jumping back a couple of pages but i felt i ought to pay a bit of my penance here.

I also debated making a dickish post about it, obviously reading intent is tough and I went the wrong way there. My bad

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

i am a moron posted:

I also debated making a dickish post about it, obviously reading intent is tough and I went the wrong way there. My bad

No its me. I was being a dick to try and be cool on the Internet

I don't know why I do it because I don't do it in real life. Its my problem

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

angry armadillo posted:

No its me. I was being a dick to try and be cool on the Internet

I don't know why I do it because I don't do it in real life. Its my problem

To be fair, who hasn't wanted to be cool on the internet?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hughmoris posted:

I too enjoy hitting my own dick with a hammer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

you wanna know how i got this blue star...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

you wanna know how i got this blue star...

definitely not by being cool on the internet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have no doubt that I am the least cool person on the internet. I am like a black hole of cool, sucking it out of the atmosphere and crushing it under the weight of my uncoolness. Not even a joke.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean that's a prereq for being a mod.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

I mean that's a prereq for being a mod.

I keep expecting to get a DM over it for that very reason

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I have no doubt that I am the least cool person on the internet. I am like a black hole of cool, sucking it out of the atmosphere and crushing it under the weight of my uncoolness. Not even a joke.

Username/post synergy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Leave it to the guy who, when prompted to create a username, looked at what was visible and went "Aha! Perfect!"

I love lamp.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

My username rules for a variety of reasons, unlike internet explorer :c00lbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well it could be worse.

You could be Microsoft Edge Browser.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chromium or Original?

Also, I spent the entirety of today manually, and talking remote workers through manually, deleting registry keys because of our certificate expiry incident resulting in every single laptop being unable to communicate with the servers. It sucked a lot. It was DNS.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

:)

This whole saga had a fortuitous ending - I sit on the board for deciding who employee of the month is and the meeting was yesterday afternoon. Someone had nominated this particular tech but because the guy can be perceived as a bit difficult at the best of times the members of the board were quite biased towards "is this really a worthy nomination" - the board is very frustratingly "we pick our friends for the awards"

It was very handy to have a perfect example to hand and be able to say yeah this is definitely worthy, look this guy even came and did _this_ on his day off so we should definitely give it to him this month.

Someone in this thread suggested I go out and buy him dinner - I think the pile of vouchers he will receive is about as close as I can get to legitimately authorising something like that so hurrah. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chromium Edge is Good.