Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

They are much less good about returns than they used to be in my recent experience.

Offhand, I’ve bought a lodge grill press that shipped without a handle, a humidifier that’s burned out twice in as many months, and a thing to redirect a heater vent that melted into the vent after a month of use. They’ve refused anything to do with it each time, and at best gave me the manufacturer’s support number.

I also had another thing that was marked as delivered several days before it finally showed up, and there’s no longer an option on their website to dispute the missing order. Luckily it showed up in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Yeah, I'd figure the same. And they do take stuff back, so if you have the time to do returns it's not that much of an issue for stuff like a pan.

I guess the only other all-clad tip is that sometimes all-clad has really deep discount sales on factory second items. But there's no way to tell what will go on sale.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

KillHour posted:

Screw it, they look cool and they're within my budget on Amazon for more pans than I'll probably ever need.

Here's my list in case I'm forgetting something obvious that I should add:

My most favored pot is the 1.5 qt and it's not close: https://smile.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Dishwasher-Cookware-1-5-Quart/dp/B004T6M6Y4/

It's just the perfect form factor for so many things.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

My most favored pot is the 1.5 qt and it's not close: https://smile.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Dishwasher-Cookware-1-5-Quart/dp/B004T6M6Y4/

It's just the perfect form factor for so many things.

drat, that little pot is expensive. Added but I think I'm gonna call it at that.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be sure to post pics when they come in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i know the all clads are nice but i don’t think i’ve ever paid more than $40 for a pot or pan

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i know the all clads are nice but i don’t think i’ve ever paid more than $40 for a pot or pan

I'll probably never notice the difference in how they cook. I'm just picky about how my house looks. It's me - I'm the idiot.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, like Le Creuset, it's a bit of a racket. I acquired my collection piece by piece about 10 years ago and everything still looks and works great. I'm pretty sure they'll outlive me as long as I don't leave them underwater for a month or something. It's the heirloom furniture of cookware.

Absolutely look for bargains and sales, and there are people who make things about as good for less, but ultimately if it's within your means it's not a choice you'll regret.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

I guess the only other all-clad tip is that sometimes all-clad has really deep discount sales on factory second items. But there's no way to tell what will go on sale.

I bought all of my All Clad through the factory seconds sale. I've bought probably 8 or 9 pieces from there, and I couldn't even find the defect on all but one. One of the copper core ones had a small bit of the copper ring around the outside kinda smudged.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sportman posted:

I bought all of my All Clad through the factory seconds sale. I've bought probably 8 or 9 pieces from there, and I couldn't even find the defect on all but one. One of the copper core ones had a small bit of the copper ring around the outside kinda smudged.

Kinda smudged like it's painted on?

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

KillHour posted:

I'll probably never notice the difference in how they cook. I'm just picky about how my house looks. It's me - I'm the idiot.

Also have a look at Mauviel, they do stainless steel and copper (tarnished copper looks great) and will last forever.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

I felt the difference was pretty noticeable.

I have two similar pots, one all-clad and one Calphalon, if you make popcorn in them it’s immediately noticeable.

Same technique but the kernels pop faster and more completely in the all clad and it’s not even close.

Steaks sear better, fond develops quicker/better and etc...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I hate hate hate all clad handles except for the Thomas Keller line

So maybe try some out in person and decide if you’re okay with the handles first

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I hate hate hate all clad handles except for the Thomas Keller line

So maybe try some out in person and decide if you’re okay with the handles first

what about them do you not like

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao i feel bad for cookware producers sometimes. up here crappy tire sells a lot of cookware sets. these are from a $700 set of stainless steel cookware. it's not crazy high-end but it's nice, standard cookware.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just want to vent but I feel I am getting Samsung'd and should have known better. Got a new house, pandemic, everyone up here is buying like loving crazy so appliances are hard to get - you wait forever. A friend had to use 2 bar fridges for a few months while their stuff was coming in. We were told anything else is on back order till June or July. Even the Samsung appliances we ordered got delayed - still waiting on washer and dryer.

Anyways, we got a dual range oven - the gas top, electric bottom with 2 doors. Only the top door opens, the entire door doesn't move as the little mechanism that pushes down isn't triggered - so we need to get that entire thing replaced (there was scratches on the sides so gently caress it).

Then the fridge we purchased the freezer handle just popped right off when I tried opening it from the right hand side. It has a little hex screw to keep it in place but even after tightening it it pops off. Also the doors are misaligned and when I went to adjust it seemed to not do anything. We apparently have someone coming but I haven't heard anything from the repair place for a couple days - they are behind too. Also I am reading older horror stories about some fridges not melting ice buildup in the back and hoping that doesn't happen here - hoping they fixed the problem. These are all 2021 lines so fingers crossed.

The microwave above the range - seems fine... but either the screen is really tinted or the light bulb isn't bright at all. I can't see poo poo. May see about buying a new one for inside. Haven't tested the dishwasher yet but it turns on - so that's good. Thankful we have warranties on all this but gently caress... in hindsight I wish we would have just waited for something like Kitchen Aid as it wasn't that much more.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

mediaphage posted:

lmao i feel bad for cookware producers sometimes. up here crappy tire sells a lot of cookware sets. these are from a $700 set of stainless steel cookware. it's not crazy high-end but it's nice, standard cookware.

How...how do you get something to stick to a pan with "2 inches of oil". Only thing i can think of is you put the protien in a cold pan, then put cold oil around it, then put it on heat?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Just want to vent but I feel I am getting Samsung'd and should have known better. Got a new house, pandemic, everyone up here is buying like loving crazy so appliances are hard to get - you wait forever. A friend had to use 2 bar fridges for a few months while their stuff was coming in. We were told anything else is on back order till June or July. Even the Samsung appliances we ordered got delayed - still waiting on washer and dryer.

Anyways, we got a dual range oven - the gas top, electric bottom with 2 doors. Only the top door opens, the entire door doesn't move as the little mechanism that pushes down isn't triggered - so we need to get that entire thing replaced (there was scratches on the sides so gently caress it).

Then the fridge we purchased the freezer handle just popped right off when I tried opening it from the right hand side. It has a little hex screw to keep it in place but even after tightening it it pops off. Also the doors are misaligned and when I went to adjust it seemed to not do anything. We apparently have someone coming but I haven't heard anything from the repair place for a couple days - they are behind too. Also I am reading older horror stories about some fridges not melting ice buildup in the back and hoping that doesn't happen here - hoping they fixed the problem. These are all 2021 lines so fingers crossed.

The microwave above the range - seems fine... but either the screen is really tinted or the light bulb isn't bright at all. I can't see poo poo. May see about buying a new one for inside. Haven't tested the dishwasher yet but it turns on - so that's good. Thankful we have warranties on all this but gently caress... in hindsight I wish we would have just waited for something like Kitchen Aid as it wasn't that much more.

lmao our house came with all samsung everything appliances and let me tell you i will never buy another one for as long as i live

literally everything has required big, annoying repairs: the microwave died, the dishwasher died, the washing machine drum corroded off of its holder and replacing the washer was cheaper than fixing it, the fridge has freeze up problems that flood the bottom of the inside with condensation at least twice a year, the oven convection fan units died, the oven itself is...not great (although it gets very hot, nearly 600F if you leave it on long enough, so there's that) and keep in mind we've been here for five years and they were almost new when we moved in

not laughing at you just i feel your pain so hard

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 8, 2021

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

what about them do you not like

I own a full set of d5 and on the heavier pans the top edge of the handle can be uncomfortable.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are the microwave/convection combi units any good? I mostly seem them in reference to RVs, but I'm thinking about one for home. I don't think we really have room for a toaster oven in our kitchen, and think it could take the place of one for reheating baked goods. Or is it just going to be a bad microwave + a bad TO?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Are the microwave/convection combi units any good? I mostly seem them in reference to RVs, but I'm thinking about one for home. I don't think we really have room for a toaster oven in our kitchen, and think it could take the place of one for reheating baked goods. Or is it just going to be a bad microwave + a bad TO?

in my experience they end up making a single unit that isn't as good as a good microwave or good toaster oven at doing those things. i recommend getting a nice panasonic microwave and try hard to slide in a small toaster oven like the cuisinart steam oven (good at reheating baked items specifically) or maybe one of the smaller air fryer convection ovens.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Kinda smudged like it's painted on?

Yup. This is the only one i've even been able to find a defect on.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of makes sense, I imagine the copper is on the inside.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sportman posted:

Yup. This is the only one i've even been able to find a defect on.

That's kind of sad that for the money they charge, they didn't actually put a copper ring/sheet on it. It's probably electroplated or something, but it's still disappointing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

KillHour posted:

That's kind of sad that for the money they charge, they didn't actually put a copper ring/sheet on it. It's probably electroplated or something, but it's still disappointing.
They don't put a copper ring on it because it's literally copper core. What you're looking at isn't a spot where cosmetic copper stuff rubbed off. It's where the slot cut in the outer cladding wasn't buffed enough so the copper on the inside isn't fully visible.

Fake edit: a diagram to illustrate:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SubG posted:

They don't put a copper ring on it because it's literally copper core. What you're looking at isn't a spot where cosmetic copper stuff rubbed off. It's where the slot cut in the outer cladding wasn't buffed enough so the copper on the inside isn't fully visible.

oooh that makes more sense. So they just accidentally left too much aluminum on the copper they were supposed to expose.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah the problem here is that you get extra free metal not like scammed out of it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

KillHour posted:

oooh that makes more sense. So they just accidentally left too much aluminum on the copper they were supposed to expose.
That's what it looks like to me.

I mean I only own one All-Clad copper core pan (the 12" fry pan which used to go on sale for US$100 every couple months) and I haven't sawed it in half to verify or anything. But if you look at Sportman's pic you can see the lip of the pan, and that shows the thickness of the different layers. At least on my fry pan the depth of the decorative ring is about the same depth as the outer layer at the lip.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I suppose if it really bugged you, you could mask off the spots where it’s supposed to be steel and sand away on that stripe. It’s probably not very thick I bet it doesn’t take long.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That pan has extra mass now and is going to be fantastic for your steaks.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

This makes so much sense. I feel like an idiot now. Anyway, I love the pans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was directed here by the PYF product recommendation thread for frying pan recommendations. Seems like many of the ones listed in the OP are gone or unavailable at the moment.

I've been using the same frying pans for ages, and the non-stick part is wearing away on one while the other fell on the floor one time and has a dent in it now, so it's time to replace them. any recommendations for good quality frying pans and also possibly woks? hopefully nothing exorbitantly expensive, but suggestions are welcome. I'm hoping to get one, maybe two, just need to replace the couple that are wearing out/damaged.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When it comes to non-stick pans, T-Fal seems to be the favorite brand. It gets the best reviews and owners in the forum seem to swear by it

Just keep in mind that non-sticks always fall apart after a few years of use and you have to replace them, so never spend a lot

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m all about Tramontina for nonstick, and a lot of folks here agree. Most durable nonstick pans I’ve owned, and pretty cheap too.

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m all about Tramontina for nonstick, and a lot of folks here agree. Most durable nonstick pans I’ve owned, and pretty cheap too.

Tramontina Professional Fry Pans (12-inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQR0/

If you're lucky enough to have a Costco business center (not the same thing as a regular costco) you can buy this exact pan for like $20. For woks I really like my Joyce Chen carbon steel wok.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my mother and aunts all went in on the set of nonstick all clad for my sisters wedding registry. it actually pains me to see how much money they spent on nonstick

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

because of the birds i got into the ceramic nonstick pans and really like them.

fwiw you don't want to spend a ton on nonstick because all nonstick pans are, to some degree, disposable. no coating lasts forever. i find it helps to give it a soak with a little oxy from time to time.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

+1 for Tramontina, got the 8" for eggs n' such after my trusty nonstick finally got to be too much to put up with after 5 years of service and it's like night and day

e: If you want something to last, get reputable stainless. All-clad is the pan of repute but I suspect you're paying a premium for the name

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

For woks, I usually buy my woks from this store, the carbon steel one.
https://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/reworkwok.html

I like the ones with the metal handle since it makes seasoning it in the oven much more easier.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 9, 2021

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a large T-fal nonstick and some smaller Calphalon ones, and they both perform pretty similarly. The T-fal definitely has some more mass so takes a little longer to heat up, but treated well, the nonstick coating on both has held up for at least a couple years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

yeah i have this one and will buy it again when it wears out

also it's got good aesthetics