Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Destiny was like ripping off a bandaid. I can't go back, I won't.

What a garbage financially predatory game that's always broken in some way, but cosmetics and emotes are always coming. (I know I'm naming a lot of games here but w/e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I spent a few hundred hours on destiny 1 and over 100 on destiny 2 but I think I'm done. The glacial pace that they drip feed story content to you plus the massive amounts of grinding needed between content and how much effort it takes to put a raid party together (don't get me wrong, raids were awesome as hell but they were starting to not be worth the effort to prepare for/learn them.)

Games just not for me anymore.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I greatly enjoyed Destiny 1 by the end with Rise of Iron but Destiny 2 lost me almost immediately. Base game was crap, the season pass was crap, nothing about Forsaken looked very good and they were bringing back RNG skill slots. gently caress that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ineffiable posted:

I spent a few hundred hours on destiny 1 and over 100 on destiny 2 but I think I'm done. The glacial pace that they drip feed story content to you plus the massive amounts of grinding needed between content and how much effort it takes to put a raid party together (don't get me wrong, raids were awesome as hell but they were starting to not be worth the effort to prepare for/learn them.)

Games just not for me anymore.

I like to go back and dump some time into a fresh season, maybe a couple times a year or so, and I always have fun with Destiny, but I agree on the story content stuff wholeheartedly, it's moving at an utterly glacial pace.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only mmo that ever got hooks in me was WoW and only in a summer where there weren't any particularly good console releases. Never gone back.

I think if I got FF14, that might hook me though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

6 days til new stuff and the PS5 beta!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Destiny 2 was a game I was absolutely sure I would play forever, and then Bungie implemented this thing called “sunsetting” which essentially said that all your loot had an expiration date after which it would be locked out from progressing with you. It pretty much singlehandedly ruined the game for me and approximately half the game’s population because they walked it back after a year of just absolutely hemorrhaging players.

I will go back and play Destiny again when every scrap of sunsetting is fully removed and and they expand the plot a little more.

Very strongly considering FF14 because I love Wizards and could use a good wizard game

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I pop into the thread every now and then and the bone Krew slack are some of my best pals. I think the gist is it’s still a good time to not play. There’s a lot of hope for what the future brings, though. Destiny raids are straight up some of the most fantastic gaming I’ve ever had. Beating Kings Fall with a bunch of goons is one of my favorite memories. We worked so hard at it and when we won my god did it feel rad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Destiny should be a good game but the devs insist on being an endless treadmill mmo without understanding how to make any of that work. The business model keeps killing what is a good game at it's roots.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think if I got FF14, that might hook me though.

something something free trial through the first expansion

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Crysis just got a PS5 patch in case anyone found it ugly and bad to play on PS4 like I did. Gonna check it out tonight. Higher res 60 fps sounds good to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

IcePhoenix posted:

something something free trial through the first expansion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-lsLrRTCh0&t=2s

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If you started playing Destiny 2 right now after stopping for a year, you'd ask where all the planets went.

I will never understand why they removed content.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Because their base code is so bad the game was nearing 200gigs. It was getting ridiculous. I think they canned Luke Smith recently(?) and I’m hopeful the game takes a wildly different direction in the next expansion. But I also think it’s probably just time they make destiny 3. That would allow them to use a new engine, new base code that’s more efficient and easier to program with, and just breathe totally new life into the franchise. The main problem in my mind is the social behavioral aspects of the destiny community. Over the past like 7 years they’ve basically been manipulated and hosed with to the point that they can be very demanding and expect moon from Bungie, getting very angry when Bungie can’t deliver. It’s a mess. It’s no fault of their own. Bungie has been formulating the community’s behavior for the past years through nothing but their own behaviors.

Still not as bad as the Frontier development Elite Dangerous devs though. Those are both games I’d love to see fully brought anew and forward for the current gen. FDev is categorically worse than Bungie in every way, unfortunately.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's raises interesting questions about digital ownership. How much can a developer take away from the original product and it still be okay? Maybe everything, idk. There's probably some stipulation about them being able to take down the servers at any moment. Wouldn't mind seeing it tested in court.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blind Rasputin posted:

Because their base code is so bad the game was nearing 200gigs. It was getting ridiculous. I think they canned Luke Smith recently(?) and I’m hopeful the game takes a wildly different direction in the next expansion. But I also think it’s probably just time they make destiny 3. That would allow them to use a new engine, new base code that’s more efficient and easier to program with, and just breathe totally new life into the franchise. The main problem in my mind is the social behavioral aspects of the destiny community. Over the past like 7 years they’ve basically been manipulated and hosed with to the point that they can be very demanding and expect moon from Bungie, getting very angry when Bungie can’t deliver. It’s a mess. It’s no fault of their own. Bungie has been formulating the community’s behavior for the past years through nothing but their own behaviors.

Still not as bad as the Frontier development Elite Dangerous devs though. Those are both games I’d love to see fully brought anew and forward for the current gen. FDev is categorically worse than Bungie in every way, unfortunately.

I think they already said destiny 3 is off the table and this is the one they're using going forward. Didn't they already plan another two years, going into 2022, maybe even 2023 on destiny 2 client?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF14 owns and it's barely an mmo. It's mmo in structure but hardly any of the mmo bullshit

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

New Oddworld is what, a re-sequel to a remake-quel? And FF Fourteen is some sort of an anti-mmo mmo alley-oop? What is happening? Playing games can be task enough but now I'm struggling to comprehend what they even are.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol how is Destiny these days

I finally gave up when they hoodwinked me with yet another DLC/season pass you had to buy, while every one before that was just the same levels/missions backwards, with aliens with a different shader on. Such a joke

good gunplay tho

Its actually in a good spot right now

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

fridge corn posted:

FF14 owns and because it's barely an mmo.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Final fantasy 14 is a single player game that you occasionally team up with other people to fight a boss.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

did the devs finally read the Destiny subreddit

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a mostly single player game with built in discord and it's like the best pretty princess dressup game ever.

Also the story becomes awesome once you start to hit the 2.4 patch content

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A recurring payment is a tough sell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's better than gaas bullshit and requires the devs to actually give a poo poo and make the sub worth it with constant updates and new content.

Though I will say that the people going 'no mmo bullshit' are overstating, it's extremely streamlined mmo bullshit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't know where people are getting FFXIV isn't a MMO. It's the platonic ideal of the theme park MMO. It's just also the platonic ideal so it's a bit more respectful of your time and gives you options if you don't have a dedicated party to play with.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FFXIV is absolutely an MMO, it's just a rare one that respects your time if you don't want to devote your entire life to it. There's enough content to spend all day grinding for months on end if you want, or if you only have 30-60 minutes free you can still hop on and make meaningful progress. Hell, the producer has even said publicly that he's cool with people unsubbing between patches so they can enjoy other games.

Unlike most MMOs it is structured around the main story and expects you to follow it to unlock most content, and there's several hundred hours of main story at this point. The story is actually really good (by MMO standards initially, and on its own merits later on) but if you really can't bear the thought of watching your anime catgirl punch her fist and nod repeatedly and often, you can buy a story skip to jump straight to the latest expansion.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah - the bargain bin!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Casnorf posted:

Games are just a distraction
Or...a model of our trend to form factions
So this tribal display
In a negative way
Only looks a bit like interaction

yo whatsup did someone say factions

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Everyone except Naughty Dog.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

Everyone except Naughty Dog.

bp owned

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Quoting your post.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The real factions were itt all along

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If ND made factions for TLOU2 it would be a better game than Bloodborne.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frog factions

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Sakurazuka posted:

Frog factions

I would tell people I'd play this and then accidentally never play this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Quoting your post.

punished beanpole, thrown in the beanhole

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow this Laurence fight is rear end. You basically have to wear his giant health bar down one hit at a time because if you get so much as touched by his limbs it's 50+% of your health bar gone.

I got him down to just under half health one time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tip about data transfer via LAN, that worked really well and was quick.

Holy poo poo this thing is quiet and fast. Subnautica load time went from 240 seconds on my pro to less than 30, pop-in is almost gone and the framerate is really smooth.
Playroom is really cute and the rumble stuff the controller does is really cool.

Tried Demon's Souls for 20 Minutes to see the grfx and man that's pretty. Gonna have to try VR next.

I also discovered the Games a collection and fell into choice paralysis immediately... the SSD is too small. Could be worse though, like having the wrong RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

A recurring payment is a tough sell hard pass.

I was all in on this 14 game until that. Shame, especially since I wouldn't mind spending hundreds and then buying a bunch of cosmetics if I were to own the content.