Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nishi koichi posted:

i thought cave dwellers was great, actually. if ator was less spidery, i might be able to watch it more

Cave Dwellers is my favorite episode, and I appreciate the additional very bad material in its predecessor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

I am a little worried about the fact that their goals are basically the same as last time. I知 not so sure that they値l be able to raise as much the second time around, especially seeing the less positive reaction this seems to be getting so far on some other parts of the internet. I知 personally willing to contribute just as much as last time though.

Yeah I went to the reddit thread about the leak and was surprised by how mixed the reaction was. Were the Netflix episodes really that poorly received? Or did people have issues with the Kickstarter?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

fsif posted:

Yeah I went to the reddit thread about the leak and was surprised by how mixed the reaction was. Were the Netflix episodes really that poorly received? Or did people have issues with the Kickstarter?

The physical rewards for the Kickstarter were kind of poorly handled. The making-of book was so late they ended up with material from the 2nd season, and they didn't order enough of the "mystery" gift (i.e. the funko pop) for all the people who paid for one.

Don't get me wrong, their service recovery was excellent and I will definitely back again, I'm just not sure I want to go in for a bunch of physical merch a second time around.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There also seems to be some fans who feel like they weren稚 transparent enough about where the money was going last time. I think those people probably greatly underestimate how much both tv shows and the physical merchandise cost to produce though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Cry Wilderness is easily in my top 10 episodes of all time. Some many good riffs and it really showed the potential of the new cast.

If nothing else, "Merry Bigfoot!" gets me every single time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm a little skeptical about the GIZMOPLEX, but I've backed at a tier that gives downloads and DVDs so whatever else happens I'll still have the new episodes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Got the $50 tier and added the blu ray. That would probably be cheaper to get later somewhere else, but this way it at least contributes to the goal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TL posted:

The Day Time Ended is the only Netflix episode that I have no memory of whatsoever. I'll need to revisit that one.

Imagine watching someone's demo reel of their alien special effects, while an old cowboy is tortured by a flying Dustbuster and you're 90 percent of the way there

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sash! posted:

Imagine watching someone's demo reel of their alien special effects, while an old cowboy is tortured by a flying Dustbuster and you're 90 percent of the way there

That does sound great, I'm in.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kickstarter hasn't even been up a full sixty minutes and already over $410k raised

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It took just over 24 hours to cross $1 million last time, so that値l probably be our first good benchmark to see how this one compares.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm a little skeptical about the GIZMOPLEX, but I've backed at a tier that gives downloads and DVDs so whatever else happens I'll still have the new episodes.

Yeah launching an entire MST3K-exclusive streaming service seems pretty ambitious and isn't something I'm pining for in particular, but my guess is that it's primarily a vehicle to lock fans into monthly contributions.

Which, whatever, as long as they keep making new episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am not crazy about a specialized app just for releasing episodes. That sounds like something that値l dry up and die after the initial season release or be a bug-ridden disaster for months after launch.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am not crazy about a specialized app just for releasing episodes. That sounds like something that値l dry up and die after the initial season release or be a bug-ridden disaster for months after launch.

If they'll let me stream all the episodes I own from the past campaigns I might use it instead of the VHX.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also skeptical about the app, especially the monthly price implied by the tiers here.

But whatever I'll throw money at new episodes. Maybe the app sucks maybe it doesn't.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Assuming it痴 not terribly buggy, I知 ok with using a specialized app, but I do wonder if moving forward they値l be able to sell it at a price that痴 sustainable, because I don稚 think that they can make $5 million off Kickstarter every season.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PostNouveau posted:

Also skeptical about the app, especially the monthly price implied by the tiers here.

But whatever I'll throw money at new episodes. Maybe the app sucks maybe it doesn't.

Yeah that's definitely a red flag. If they're going to charge monthly they better pump that content out.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

sure makes me appreciate the Rifftrax model of "spend money, receive product"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you have a subscription they're going to have a rotating back catalog that changes each month.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If they can roll out a decent app, one of their hopes might be to entice one of the other streaming apps to license the content to be included as a bonus.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah my (wholly uninformed and incredibly ignorant) guess is that the initial $5 million will be used towards launching the platform with a new season and hope that they will make enough money from monthly subscriptions to fully fund the show going forward. They're gambling that their fans are diehard/well off enough that they can charge well above market rate for their content.

Like I would pay $50/year on top of what I've spent on this Kickstarter just to ensure there's always a new season of MST3K. Probably the only show I would ever consider doing that for.

No idea if it will work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that's definitely a red flag. If they're going to charge monthly they better pump that content out.

I can appreciate what they're attempting to do. If they can lock down subscriptions by getting people to love the app in the "free" period you get off the Kickstarter, a steady base of monthly money allows them to give people actual stable jobs and plan things with certainty without needing to Kickstart for millions every 3 years or beg distributors for money.

$50 for a 6 month subscription to the app though is pushing it. I'll give it to them to get a new season out, but I dunno if I'd stick around for live events and rotating old episodes or whatever the app has when it's not a new season.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

sure makes me appreciate the Rifftrax model of "spend money, receive product"

Rifftrax has a streaming subscription, too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ringu0 posted:

Rifftrax has a streaming subscription, too

And an app.

Actually multiple apps. The phone app for synching riffs and a TV app for streaming VOD content.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

It took just over 24 hours to cross $1 million last time, so that値l probably be our first good benchmark to see how this one compares.

Last time they were able to keep goosing donations by continually rolling out new things and keeping buzz going. I wonder if they'll be able to do that this time. Back then, it was the case that the average kickstarter received the majority of its funding within the first two days, and part of the messaging with MST3K was that they were riding on the novelty of being the biggest success in kickstarter history, which doesn't seem like it carries the same cultural cache now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Video streaming is pretty much an off-the-shelf service at this point, so I don't foresee too many difficulties there. (Shout Factory already does streaming video, come to think of it.)

But while I like Joel's idea for a virtual "cool little theater" that hosts old movies and fun live events... I still don't see what actually distinguishes that from a bog-standard video stream service.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

From the comments: "... we're planning to build the Gizmoplex on top of Vimeo OTT"

So, yeah, off-the-shelf streaming service

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Considering that I almost cancelled my Netflix subscription after they passed on a third season, I am absolutely on board with subscribing to more MST3K. I've been watching the same VHS rips of the show for like 25 loving years at this point, so I am more than happy to help Joel seize the means of production.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Splint Chesthair posted:

Considering that I almost cancelled my Netflix subscription after they passed on a third season, I am absolutely on board with subscribing to more MST3K. I've been watching the same VHS rips of the show for like 25 loving years at this point, so I am more than happy to help Joel seize the means of production.

I do so enjoy the walk down memory lane during the credits and the Penn Gillette voice over tells me what's up next on Comedy Central

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Looks like they'll cross a million within the next 30 minutes or so.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

Kickstarter's been live for less than three hours and already at $964k

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Kickstarter's been live for less than three hours and already at $964k

The limited-number big reward tiers have been going quickly too. Like they already have all three $20,000 "Executive Producers". :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

$1mil raised :woop:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And already crossed a million.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Over a million!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

There goes one million.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They crossed a million. Still a lot to go, but I知 pleasantly surprised how well this is going compared to last time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'll gladly pay mst3k monthly over Netflix