Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, yes. The Dead Like Me effect.

Loved the show, movie was tripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ah, yes. The Dead Like Me effect.

Loved the show, movie was tripe.

The movie completely and utterly missed the point of the show, it made me angry.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I watched it a few months ago on tubi. I hated everything about it. Especially the lack of Mandy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
81 degrees out what the poo poo is this

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i started watching the hobbit trilogy last night. i now know what the henchman from the austin powers movie felt when he got run over by a steamroller.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm usually the forum "it wasn't TOO bad" apologist for sci-fi/fantasy, but I saw the first Hobbit in theaters and have zero interest in revisiting it or seeing the others. Probably the worst thing I've paid to see in the last 15 years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

even colbert, who was in the second one, says dont watch em

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm actually starting to read Lord of the Rings for the first time since high school. After I'm done with each book I'm going to get really stoned and watch the movie version.

Been on a reading drought, nothing I've picked up over the past year has really caught my interest. Usually I'm constantly reading stuff.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mustang posted:

I'm actually starting to read Lord of the Rings for the first time since high school. After I'm done with each book I'm going to get really stoned and watch the movie version.

Been on a reading drought, nothing I've picked up over the past year has really caught my interest. Usually I'm constantly reading stuff.

Have you ever read anything of the Aubrey / Maturin book series by Patrick O'Brian? They're very enjoyable in an odd way, especially after you become familiar with the terminology.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

the trilogy is a good read and one i should do again soon

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Some hits this decade:

Lies of Locke Lamora
Gideon the Ninth
The Library at Mount Char
Three Parts Dead

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Have you ever read anything of the Aubrey / Maturin book series by Patrick O'Brian? They're very enjoyable in an odd way, especially after you become familiar with the terminology.

And the books have a helpful key to masts and sails in the front lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

i'm going to keep at them. because i've never seen them and i like martin freeman.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'll check them out though I usually don't read any historical type stuff that is that recent. I usually go for the really old, antiquity type stuff. Lindsey Davis' Falco series is entertaining, basically detective stories set in the 1st century Roman Empire.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

i'm going to keep at them. because i've never seen them and i like martin freeman.

watch fargo season 1 if you havent already

freeman owns in that, only to be outdone by billy bob

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

watch fargo season 1 if you havent already

freeman owns in that, only to be outdone by billy bob

Should I watch the movie first, or just go for it?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

Should I watch the movie first, or just go for it?

I still need to watch the series, but the movie was solid as heck.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd watch the movie first. The series owns a lot though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Movie is great. Season 1 of the series is one of my top favorite tv series.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the tv series has like one or two references to the movie. It's more that its got the same feel and theme of the movie and produced/supervised by the boen bros. There might be one part in season one thats a little confusing or feels a lil deus ex machina without seeing the movie first. finding the money in the snow

the movie is of course worth watching fer sure, and each season of the show is its own story.

Season 1 is some of the best TV I've ever seen. Billy Bob Thorton is goddamn incredible in it, Martin Freeman is wonderful, and the actors/actresses that pop up suddenly are fun as hell. I can't recommend it enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mustang posted:

I'll check them out though I usually don't read any historical type stuff that is that recent. I usually go for the really old, antiquity type stuff. Lindsey Davis' Falco series is entertaining, basically detective stories set in the 1st century Roman Empire.

It’s an excellent book series and I’ve thought about buying a hard bound version for as many times as I’ve reread the series.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

i regret everything.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

We rewatched the Extended LOTR a few months back when we rented a cabin in the middle of West Virginia. It was pretty good and still holds up.

I can't get past the first hour of the Hobbit though, which pains me because I love the book.

boop the snoot posted:

It’s a cash grab. BB will always have a sizeable fan base that will eat up its content.

I am admittedly one of those people. El Camino was just a two hour nostalgia trip for me. It was also completely forgettable.

Yeah this is me too. El Camino was entirely unnecessary but I still enjoyed it, oddly enough the parts with Skinny Pete and Badger were the best parts, as well as every scene with Robert Forester.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Season 1 is some of the best TV I've ever seen. Billy Bob Thorton is goddamn incredible in it, Martin Freeman is wonderful, and the actors/actresses that pop up suddenly are fun as hell. I can't recommend it enough.

Are the subsequent seasons worth a watch? I fell off like three episodes into the third season and for some reason recall people panning season 2 but I can't really remember one way or the other.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

2 wasnt nearly as good

kind of a lot for it to live up to tbh

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got my first Moderna shot. Can already feel it rewriting my DNA to accept the NWO and it rules

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
But how that cell signal tho

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

2 wasnt nearly as good

kind of a lot for it to live up to tbh

I thought 2 was the best season of the show, with a dramatic decline after that. YMMV

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This is a Robbery, the Netflix show about the Gardner art heist, is pretty good.

Ending is a bit disappointing, but I love me a good heist.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

not caring here posted:

But how that cell signal tho

I lost service in one of the elevators in my building but it’s better than t mobile.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You people got cell signals? What about your spikes? Mine is coming in nicely. :D

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 18, 2022

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

US Berder Patrol posted:

I drove 3 hrs to a Walmart in Chudsburg, USA for a Moderna. I feel unlimited power (to not have a panic attack after visiting other vaccinated friends).

Congrats!

I know 25% of America doesn't give a gently caress, but I've seen a lot of improvements in the mental health of family who finally got their shots and are able to start doing more normal things and not have to worry if this trip to the grocery store is the one that kills them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOYLDf5Wv8

I am fascinated by this nightmare fuel.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

man thats super cool to watch even if you hate bugs

he only got stung twice

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Honey bees aren't that scary. Just don't move too fast and use a lotta smoke.

Source: Did beekeeping for a few summers, never got stung.

gently caress hornets though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mud Daubers are okay though, but yeah gently caress yellow jackets.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Carpenter bees are just tennis racket targets.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Mud wasps are the best. Absolutely docile, and one of the main varieties preferentially kills black widows.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hired a guy:

But I agreed to do all the finish work:

So it's been a dusty sandy day, but I got every surface to 220.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/wgtc_site/status/1380581782026907650?s=20

Disney just gonna keep flogging that dead tauntaun until there’s nothing left but fur on the icy surface of Hoth