Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Doesn't Superman eat tornadoes?

Torquemada posted:

I think Bruce outright states he’s been Batman for 20 years at one point.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kruller posted:

The way Pa Kent dies in Man of Steel completely misses the point of what his death is supposed to teach Clark. It's supposed to teach him that he can't save everyone, because Pa Kent dies of a heart attack, not a loving tornado.

The one in Man of Steel is teaching Clark something different.

A lot of people mad about Man of Steel seem to be deducting points for it not being the movie they imagined in their head rather than engaging with what's actually on the screen.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Doesn't Superman eat tornadoes?

He’s trying to cut back, they give him the spins.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people mad about Man of Steel seem to be deducting points for it not being the movie they imagined in their head rather than engaging with what's actually on the screen.

That and finding it impossible to empathise with non-humans, apparently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Because Superman on his own isn't human, he's a force of nature.

No, he is. That's the point of Superman and what good Superman stories get right.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he literally come from outer space? How is he human?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Didn't he literally come from outer space? How is he human?

Kryptonians are physiologically different to humans, but they look like us and they think like us. Superman's whole story is about how he is human because his upbringing transcends his race.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But isn't his Superman suit literally his skin or something? And that's why you never see him naked?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My iimm about Man of Steel is that it isn't All Star Superman

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Len posted:

My iimm about Man of Steel is that it isn't All Star Superman
:hmmyes:
I have my issues with Man of Steel but I noticed those IIMM's softened over time. What I need to do is rewatch the Donner Superman and verify my initial opinions are from the movie itself and not the comics.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is being asked in good faith, because I really liked man of steel but I definitely disagreed with how Pa Kent died.

A heart attack teaches Clark that despite having the power of a god, there are things he can't stop.

The tornado teaches him..?

My best attempt at it is that he must continue to hide himself because people will fear him even if he does good, which is borne out through the actions of some of the characters in the movie, but it ultimately seems that Pa Kent was wrong.

So in your opinion, what did Pa Kent choosing to die teach him?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That sometimes your parents are loving morons lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

christmas boots posted:

That sometimes your parents are loving morons lol
It's a bit of this, in that Pa Kent was not correct to think that Clark could just keep hiding his powers forever, both because of some external factors forcing him to reveal them, and because that's just not the kind of person he is. However, you could argue if you wanted that maybe he knew that, but thought that if Clark revealed himself as the Superman right now, it would end up being a desaster.

Iirc, Clark is supposed to be a teenager or early twenties at most in the scene where his father dies. He's not mature enough to shoulder the responsibility of being the Superman. What Pa Kent does with his sacrifice is buy Clark time to figure out himself, to learn more about the world, and what he wants his place in it to be. And in that sense, Pa Kent is correct to buy Clark some time: he travels the world, does some isolated good deeds here and there because he can't stop being a savior, but ultimately knows that this cannot be it, realizes that this makes him unhappy. And eventually, his hand is forced anyway and he has to reveal himself.

But in addition to that, there's also another dimension to what his father's death did to Clark: now, whenever he thinks about revealing himself to the public, he knows he's a) going against his father's stated dying wish and b) he'll always think "okay if I'm outed anyway, I could have saved him back then". It makes his decision harder and more tragic. Because he, and the audience also, cannot know if his father was just wrong or if he was trying to buy Clark time as I said above.

(with "outing" I mean revealing that a Superman exists, not that Clark is him)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What does Superman use to change now that phone booths are no longer a thing? Starbucks restrooms?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Clark Kent won't risk exposing his secret identity by saving his dad. Then he risk exposing his secret identity to gently caress with a rude truck driver.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Alhazred posted:

Clark Kent won't risk exposing his secret identity by saving his dad. Then he risk exposing his secret identity to gently caress with a rude truck driver.

I mean, this does seem convincingly human.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't get why Superman would really need to worry about keeping a low profile it's not like anyone can harm him and I doubt anyone would risk harming the family or friends of a demigod that could murder them and everyone they've ever met in a couple of hours with minimal effort.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't get why Superman would really need to worry about keeping a low profile it's not like anyone can harm him and I doubt anyone would risk harming the family or friends of a demigod that could murder them and everyone they've ever met in a couple of hours with minimal effort.

I mean, to be fair the core concept of most superman media is that someone is trying to harm him and/or his friends and family.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It was mentioned above but I think a lot of this comes down to Cavill looking like the 30 year old man that he actually was and not the 17 year old he was theoretically supposed to be in that scene. I think if you have a gangly looking teenager in that scene it's easier to understand why his father didn't think he was ready. If the government had gotten hold of him at that time who knows what experiments and traumas they could've put him through, and that would've been a very very bad thing for the world long term.

I think it works because it puts Clark in the position to make a very high stakes emotional decision to reveal himself to the world. If he comes out, and the world rejects him, that means his father sacrificed himself for nothing. So he really wants to be certain he's making the right call so that he can make his father's sacrifice mean something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SiKboy posted:

I mean, to be fair the core concept of most superman media is that someone is trying to harm him and/or his friends and family.

Tell that to Zods snapped neck

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It was mentioned above but I think a lot of this comes down to Cavill looking like the 30 year old man that he actually was and not the 17 year old he was theoretically supposed to be in that scene. I think if you have a gangly looking teenager in that scene it's easier to understand why his father didn't think he was ready. If the government had gotten hold of him at that time who knows what experiments and traumas they could've put him through, and that would've been a very very bad thing for the world long term.

I think it works because it puts Clark in the position to make a very high stakes emotional decision to reveal himself to the world. If he comes out, and the world rejects him, that means his father sacrificed himself for nothing. So he really wants to be certain he's making the right call so that he can make his father's sacrifice mean something.

I agree. Casting actors 15+ years older than their characters for emotional hero’s journey starting point scenes just kills their ability to land.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Captain Monkey posted:

I agree. Casting actors 15+ years older than their characters for emotional hero’s journey starting point scenes just kills their ability to land.

Speaking of this, I've recently watched the Pillars of the Earth BBC miniseries and they are so guilty of this. I guess it's to be somewhat expected for a story that spans decades but, while they do a decent job making most the main cast younger/older as needed, what happens with a couple of minor characters is bonkers - the worst offenders easily being Tom's daughter being recasted once from her childhood to her adulthood (so she's the same actress from about 10 to her late teens) and William's wife with her twee "I'm twelve" when he first meet her (the actress is mid 20s, and has no change between her first appearence and her second one, when she's supposed to be 22).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I feel like Dark is the only show I've seen recently that did a good job of it.

go watch Dark. Their casting is impeccable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Man of Steel probably wouldn't be so looked down upon if WB hadn't used it for the jump off point of their cinematic universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

Man of Steel probably wouldn't be so looked down upon if WB hadn't used it for the jump off point of their cinematic universe.

On the other hand, Man of Steel looks better now by comparison now that people have seen BvS and Justice League.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

How the hell would the government even begin to contain him?

He could wipe out every branch of the military and their dogs without breaking a sweat.

I haven't seen the movie though. Maybe he doesn't know he's a god or maybe the government has kryptonite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't seen the movie though. Maybe he doesn't know he's a god or maybe the government has kryptonite.

That's exactly it, when he was younger he didn't really know the full extent of his powers and he hadn't even really tried to use them very much.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

A heart attack teaches Clark that despite having the power of a god, there are things he can't stop.

60's Superman would have used his previously unmentioned coronary bypass vision

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Superman have something against dogs?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Does Superman have something against dogs?

He desperately wants to be Man’s Best Friend and perceives them as competition

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Would anyone know Superman's weakness to kryptonite if he didn't tell them?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Anyone who listened to Three Doors Down would know, duh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

Would anyone know Superman's weakness to kryptonite if he didn't tell them?

Typically what happens is Luthor finds out somehow and then of course he tells everyone who will listen and even provides kryptonite to other villains because he's a dick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the 'get to the overpass' thing from man of steel was incredibly dumb, overpasses are literally worse than nothing in a tornado and that dog would have been safer left in the car

pa kent died to uselessly endanger a dog lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tunicate posted:

the 'get to the overpass' thing from man of steel was incredibly dumb, overpasses are literally worse than nothing in a tornado and that dog would have been safer left in the car

pa kent died to uselessly endanger a dog lol

Feels like this is somehow a good metaphor for the DC movies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basebf555 posted:

Typically what happens is Luthor finds out somehow and then of course he tells everyone who will listen and even provides kryptonite to other villains because he's a dick.

He sells the information and then also the kryptonite.

He is a genius businessman.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Superman should get Batman to buy up the world supply of Kryptonite and just bury it in a mineshaft and fill that mineshaft with concrete and used syringes.

he's got the money.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Batman would just use it all to build a kryptonite super weapon/prison “just in case” and then Lex would steal it somehow

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I loved Man of Steel and though Costner was really good but that tornado scene loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Batman would just use it all to build a kryptonite super weapon/prison “just in case” and then Lex would steal it somehow

Granted there are a million versions but modern batman does indeed keep at least one kryptonite weapon in a lead-lined utility belt pouch basically at all times