Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lamuella posted:

There's an adorable tiktok of Ashley trying to prank her with a dance routine that turns into a "JOHN CENA!" wrestling move, and Leyla just blocks her because amateur wrestler.

Had to look it up
https://twitter.com/LegitLeyla/status/1289709774951587840?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol trying to grab a wrestler by the leg, gtfoh

SPRAWL!!!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Love this. They seem like such an awesome match.

My favorite piece of Layla’s rise to national programming and her signing is in nearly all of her older interviews, she makes it very clear WWE is her dream. Wrestlemania. To be in WWE, period. That’s where she always wanted to go.

She was given the “get a little more experience” and “wait just a bit, we’ll get you in here soon” and it never came to be. Basically, what they do to many of their talents to dangle the carrot and just assuming, “oh they’ll wait. They always wait. They’ll come when we call on them.”

Even just months before her first AEW appearance, she was holding out for WWE.

But alas, here we are and I don’t think she is using this place as a stepping stone. I haven’t listened to anything recent since her signing months ago on thoughts on AEW so far, blah blah blah but I won’t lie, I was shocked to see her fully commit to this company. It’s really awesome to see and sets a tone for “you can accomplish your dreams here too”.

And of course, wrestling needs more of that where talent can thrive, love their job and have places to work that’ll take care of them.

So, GO LEGIT LEYLA!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Genuinely disturbing and hosed up how twitchy guys like Cezar are after escaping the hellscape of NXT/WWE

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq1lJTdAbQc

Here’s the Darby hitchhiker thing from a few pages back

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

Genuinely disturbing and hosed up how twitchy guys like Cezar are after escaping the hellscape of NXT/WWE

In dog training terms, you would call this learned helplessness

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DLC Inc posted:

I think Miro said the same thing when he arrived, and it took Jericho to tell him "Relax, this isn't like the other place."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lmao completely bodied

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

8?!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1379873211500818437?s=21

5-6 tops imo. Good lord.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They don't need 8 full PPVs, they just need to nail down a "between PPV" event, announce it early, and build things towards that. We know there's probably something coming before DoN but having it announced would go some ways towards putting the storylines into focus.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think they could manage 6 PPVs per annum, but any more is really pushing it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

this mf said goodd

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1379878408293818368

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Why is Tyson back, his last segment was stupid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

Tony's shook after last week

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gotta say that the card looks real good for tonight.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Probably doing something else on TNT and the network wants some cross promotion.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

Hopefully to put Ogogo over and not anything with Jericho.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Has Tyson done anything with One FC before?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

duckdealer posted:

Has Tyson done anything with One FC before?

Vitor Belfort was there last time Tyson was.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's still got name recognition, presumably doesn't cost the earth, and is willing to show up. It's not a huge mystery when he shows up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

shiksa posted:

put me down for not understanding the "sea stars" pun EVEN THO my ex and her sisters used to pronounce it the exact same way as an in joke lol

WHAT

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ohhhh i thought the pun was that their opponent would See Stars when they beat them

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think they could manage 6 PPVs per annum, but any more is really pushing it.

I think the four they do now is perfect in combination with the special Dynamite episodes sprinkled throughout. Six would be really pushing it and anything more feels like just too damned much.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The idea of a heel Hangman isn't something I'd really be down with. You could pull it off with a spiraling Hangman ala a worse version of the road to fighting FTR but like, it just feels wrong.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Eight is way too much. I gotta be honest, even splitting them with a friend, 4 is grand. If they absolutely unquestionably had to increase, 6 is the maximum. I like the specials. New Years Bash or whatever was great. March Madness or whatever was great. Just do those on months without PPVs.

Eat My Fuc posted:

NXT Takeover is tonight.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's still got name recognition, presumably doesn't cost the earth, and is willing to show up. It's not a huge mystery when he shows up.

And they don't want to get steamrolled in the ratings on their last night head-to-head with NXT when NXT is running a "Takeover" so why not try to spike the rating a little with a celebrity.
(edit) beaten

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Heel Hangman just cusses a lot and gets AEW fined by standards and practices.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If you're a promoter and the channel asks you to put Mike loving Tyson on your show, that's an obvious YES. I don't really like the guy but he's world famous. Come on son

Also I'm very happy with the PPV status. 8? No thanks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rantmo posted:

I think the four they do now is perfect in combination with the special Dynamite episodes sprinkled throughout. Six would be really pushing it and anything more feels like just too damned much.

When they first announced Full Gear 2019 I thought they were going to go with a 5 PPV schedule. I think 4 is fine based on what they do, they usually change things up at about the right pace. This time they are a little late in doing that, whether the explosion screwed them up or if they did plan to drag Mox/Kenny out longer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alan_Shore posted:

If you're a promoter and the channel asks you to put Mike loving Tyson on your show, that's an obvious YES. I don't really like the guy but he's world famous. Come on son

Also I'm very happy with the PPV status. 8? No thanks

Agreed. I've also had a much easier time getting more casual wrestling friends together (on discord) to watch since they all kinda feel like big deals.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Heel Hangman would just break your heart the way Face Hangman does except it'd be about self destruction instead of self loathing

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

That's amazing. I knew Leyla was not tall, but seeing her in this video made me look up the fact that she's 4'11." Would've guessed more like 5'2 or so before then. Adam Cole's more than a foot taller than her!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
8 ppvs is too many for my wallet

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

There isn't a circumstance where I book a convicted rapist, sorry.

Obviously I don't have to make this call as I'm not a promoter, and maybe this would make me a terrible promoter, but I would not be morally capable of it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’m willing to negotiate a deal:

6 PPVs but 3 are on HBO Max, 3 are paid PPVs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

That's amazing. I knew Leyla was not tall, but seeing her in this video made me look up the fact that she's 4'11." Would've guessed more like 5'2 or so before then. Adam Cole's more than a foot taller than her!

Adam Cole barely comes up to her shoulder, actually. In boots. Out of them not even that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wouldn't mind 5 if they had like 1 super special big deal PPV, and used the odd number to frame that as differently from the quarterly ones.

Beyond that I think the monthly specials capture most of the appeal and there's little benefit otherwise.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder if a New Years PPV would be a good idea. Last chance before the ranking reset, and the gap from Full Gear to Revolution can feel a bit long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Memnaelar posted:

Oh no no no no no

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

look at this dudette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love having 4 PPVs a year. My wife and I order some food, make some drinks, and set up a prediction game for the two of us. It's a good time, and whoever lost the previous prediction pays for the next show (I lose almost every time).

8 would be insane, in my humble opinion. WWE completely devalued the idea of a PPV with their monthly shows (and I remember a stretch in 2012 or so where there were like 5 PPVs in 3 months or something insane) and I wouldn't want AEW to do the same.