Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick posted:

I think the Celtics might be a victim of Tatum being successful so fast. They really should've been in more of a rebuild mode for a couple more years and leapt right into win now. But hell even Pop had trouble making Brown and Tatum work so maybe there's something incompatible about them that isn't easy to see.

I think they both just love dribbling the air out of the ball too much and are prone to getting tunnel vision, plus aren't great at consistently getting to the rim and drawing fouls so they rely on having to hit a lot of tough shots too often. They're both really good players but they need a much better playmaker paired with them to get everyone easier looks and control the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

I think the Celtics might be a victim of Tatum being successful so fast. They really should've been in more of a rebuild mode for a couple more years and leapt right into win now. But hell even Pop had trouble making Brown and Tatum work so maybe there's something incompatible about them that isn't easy to see.

Kinda sorta. I still think its not much more complicated than their two most recent big FA signings being busts.

e: and Kyrie

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jota posted:

I think they both just love dribbling the air out of the ball too much and are prone to getting tunnel vision, plus aren't great at consistently getting to the rim and drawing fouls so they rely on having to hit a lot of tough shots too often. They're both really good players but they need a much better playmaker paired with them to get everyone easier looks and control the flow.

Yeah, the lack of playmaking is what I took away from the sixers game. They have seemingly nothing but guards, yet their team constantly fucks up even very basic basketball passes, it's weird. They're an above-average offense but 22nd in assists, their offense seems like it comes from Brown and Tatum creating shots completely by themselves.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We really just gonna glaze over Ben Simmons sister accusing him of rape

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think that is who that sister was saying did it. She did seem to accuse him of covering it up

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have extremely misread this tweet

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think that is who that sister was saying did it. She did seem to accuse him of covering it up

he just bought a new car for the half-brother that she's accusing like a month ago

wonder if he knew at the time

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Paul Zuvella posted:

I have extremely misread this tweet

She said it was her half-brother who hurt her, and it goes unmentioned to protect the brand of her (full) brother. So strictly speaking she doesn't implicate Simmons at all. (Though that requires you to believe he has no knowledge of what the half-brother was doing.)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

quote:

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Ben Simmons is showing exactly what the City of Brotherly Love means.

The Philadelphia 76ers star surprised his brother Sean with a brand new car.

Ben gifted his brother an Audi SUV for Sean's birthday.

And he did it all with thousands watching live on his Instagram page.

"10,000 people here?" Ben said as he looked at the growing viewer count on his livestream.

He then walked to his garage with his brother looking on.

"You know I love cars," Ben said.

He focused the camera one vehicle in particular.

"So that's your car," Ben said.

Sean broke out in laughter.

"Bro, stop it," Sean said.

"That's your car," Ben said, giving his brother a tour of the Audi. "It's all yours man."

The act of Brotherly Love made Sean cry.

"Why would you go and do something like that?" Sean asked his brother as he wiped away tears.

Ben jokingly cheered that he got his brother "crying on the live."

Ben said he appreciates all the hard work his brother has done for him.

The NBA All-Star pointed out that the vehicle is "baby friendly," which is a good thing, as Sean had a baby on his lap during the video chat.

Whenever Sean is ready, Ben said he can come pick up his new car.

The two ended their conversation with "I love you."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

he's a lovely libertarian hedge fund guy whose big innovation (beyond being bad= better picks, which everyone already knew) was figuring out that second round picks were extremely easy to gently caress over because they had no leverage he sucks!

presiti has already done one full rebuild that was way more successful than anything Philly has done so far

:allears:

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Jota posted:

They overreacted to losing Kyrie. Ainge is good with flexibility. Paying Kemba was the death nell. He could have done(almost done?) so many things if he just paid Scary Terry and waited for his moment again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Luke Kornet about to call the cops

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nba_paint/status/1379884214385004551?s=21

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

chilihead posted:

They overreacted to losing Kyrie. Ainge is good with flexibility. Paying Kemba was the death nell. He could have done(almost done?) so many things if he just paid Scary Terry and waited for his moment again.

Pretty much this. Kemba is one of the worst PGs in the league this year and making > $30m.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Prestis Durant Harden Ibaka rebuild coming out of Seattle was good.

That harden trade was pretty bad tho. I would not include that as part of the rebuild (tank). That was part of contender management which is harder.

I like Presti he’s fine.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Stevie Lee posted:

quote:

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Ben Simmons is showing exactly what the City of Brotherly Love means.

Oh, uh, hmm.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope hinke fans can one day learn to love

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fast Luck posted:

How would it damage Ben's brand for her to get therapy? Who would even know she's getting therapy?

I have no idea.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Oh, uh, hmm.
[/quote]

i mean sometimes we accidentally buy a serial molester a car on ig live, who hasn't that happened to

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fast Luck posted:

How would it damage Ben's brand for her to get therapy? Who would even know she's getting therapy?

I think the part that is being suggested would damage his brand is public acknowledgement that his half brother is a serial molester.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If he’s being openly supportive then saying he’s doing it to protect his brand is actually a pretty favorable position for him. Compared to the alternative

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty much this. Kemba is one of the worst PGs in the league this year and making > $30m.

Jota posted:

This does explain it. And Kemba was on the Team USA team, too.

Lakers were trying to make the same mistake on Kemba as well. Guess you don't know how things are going to work out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

at the beginning of the season, who had tonight, April 7th, circled as the battle for the western conference 1 seed?

Three voters picked the Suns to lose in the WCF:
AggressivelyStupid
Veryslightlymad
Shamblercow

One voter selected the Jazz to win the finals:
DeimosRising

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/sam_perley/status/1379788504008425472?s=20

Really want to know what kind of Three Stooges poo poo landed that many guys in the concussion protocol

Apparently someone literally detonated a concussion grenade during practice.

Katana_Warrior posted:

first of all, i want to say that i think that espn and disney are both extremely evil and capitalistic. that said, even if he and everyone else there is fully vaccinated, there's tons of lowly commoners who haven't had been vaccinated yet who see that and think "gently caress, it's been a year since i've done literally anything fun. i gotta go out tonight" and then get themselves or other people sick. just not a good time to be posting that stuff publicly yet.

I have not seen Wonder Woman 1984 yet but based upon the reviews a class-action lawsuit may be in order.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

JackBandit posted:

No joke but I think with kids living through a pandemic for the last year, they all feel old enough to watch some superhero movie. Also, so many kids have free rein of a tablet while their parents work, I’m surprised the award didn’t go to a Tarantino movie

Back in 1988 Beverly Hills Cop II won the Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Movie.

Imagine if players were paid in BTC back in 2010. Paul Pierce would've made more than eleven trillion dollars just from 2010.

Declan MacManus posted:

remember that time that derrick rose missed time because he cut his hand open on a knife he left in his bed to peel apples with

I am now skeptical of the official story.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1379916981416116228

quote:

At press time, Green advised WNBA players to sign a long-term contract before forgetting how to shoot entirely.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

trade wiseman and draymond for beal and bertans

join the gently caress Defense wave

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Washington will get a better offer.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ammanas posted:

trade wiseman and draymond for beal and bertans

join the gently caress Defense wave

a wizards lineup with Russ, Dray, and Rui on the floor all at once would be hilarious

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

We are upon a new golden age of centers. Nikola Jokic and Rudy Gobert currently hold the top two spots in WS this year. So it appears that a center will lead the league in WS for the first time since Shaquille O'Neal in 2001.

It could also be the first time centers finish #1 and #2 in WS since 1995 (David Robinson and Shaquille O'Neal). The only time centers finished #1, #2 and #3 in the 3P era was 1994 (David Robinson, Shaquille O'Neal and Hakeem Olajuwon). And if MJJ hadn't retired that may not have happened. Then one must go back to 1979 to find a trio of centers leading the league: KAJ, Moses Malone and Artis Gilmore.

In short, centers are back.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Really? I've read it's the best class in years. I don't watch college though so I have no clue.

Even if tons think this will be a dominant draft year it'd still be very bold to compare it to 2003.

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think about Golden State's future?
Would it be smarter to try and trade for 4-8 guys than a new #2 or #3 star type, and hope Klay is back to something like himself again in 2022?

I believe this iteration of the GSW dynasty is irrevocably over. Not only are they old and burnt out but even if Klay and Curry come back very strong in another year what made them special is rapidly disappearing. Each year the league gets better at 3P shooting and unless Klay and Curry both start shooting TONS of them at like 55% they won't be able to replicate the hegemony they had last decade.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

I think Washington will get a better offer.

well yeah but the other 31 teams should operate with consideration for what is best for Golden State

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Zogo posted:

I believe this iteration of the GSW dynasty is irrevocably over. Not only are they old and burnt out but even if Klay and Curry come back very strong in another year what made them special is rapidly disappearing. Each year the league gets better at 3P shooting and unless Klay and Curry both start shooting TONS of them at like 55% they won't be able to replicate the hegemony they had last decade.

yeah i dont think anyone pretends GSW are going to dominate the league like they have, that is over. no bench depth, age, and the league catching up.

the question is are they going to be able to compete for the finals? optimistically they're a 3 seed with klay, steph and draymond.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Klay and Steph with a really good roster I guess could compete for a top 4 seed but how are they getting there ?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NBA Expects All Arenas To Be At Full Capacity In 2021/22
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/04/nba-expects-all-arenas-to-be-at-full-capacity-in-202122.html

Larsa Pippen and Malik Beasley Break Up After Love Triangle Drama
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/larsa-pippen-malik-beasley-break-060459871.html

If all those giant corporations want to pay $0.00 in federal income tax I suggest nobody pay their taxes any longer. They can't throw 300+ million people in prison!

The Glumslinger posted:

It's gonna be a really good class, but 03 is probably a top 3 draft of all time (alongside 96 and 84)

Here are the top five years:

code:
Draft Year	Win Shares
1985		1707.4
1984		1552.8
1996		1464.3
2003		1423.9
1998		1371

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are there any good NBA YouTube channels yet

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

Are there any good NBA YouTube channels yet

not sure if it's the content you're looking for, but nba cobwebs is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7GPjppUbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWL7HmmeeGY

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Jazz 22 straight home wins.

-Warriors lose by nearly sixty points.

-I'm perfectly at peace with the Bulls finishing the season on a 20+ game losing streak.

Ammanas posted:

yeah i dont think anyone pretends GSW are going to dominate the league like they have, that is over. no bench depth, age, and the league catching up.

the question is are they going to be able to compete for the finals? optimistically they're a 3 seed with klay, steph and draymond.

They need an infusion of another bona fide star or two.

WhyteRyce posted:

The Homophobic Slurvant

New jerseys: punishment edition:

THE COWARD - SOLOMON HILL
THE INFECTOR - RUDY GOBERT
THE FLOPPER - JAMES HARDEN
GATORADE IS NOT THE SECRET - PAUL GEORGE
LONZO TALL - BENJAMIN SIMMONS

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Stevie Lee posted:

not sure if it's the content you're looking for, but nba cobwebs is cool

These are cool. I'm mostly looking for something like a good Zach Lowe article in video form (please don't make fun of me)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
proto-boozer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrFQ8vCO5-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

:)