Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Dont shop shame this hipster idiot you fuckin idiot bitches!!!!

Ooof, lovely snipe.

Well, pretty soon I'm gonna be posting a bunch of home office purchases since I decided to quit my job and go independent. list so far is desk, chair, need some kind of couch/day bed, art work, shelves, filing cabinet, new laptop, new desktop, and something fun to play with while I'm on Zoom meetings with my new business partner.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bape Culture posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:lol:

Just bought some cheat meal fast food to celebrate covid shot number 2 and the impending fever! Yay!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That second shot knocked me on my rear end. I had the chills and everything. It was a beautiful 70 degrees outside and I closed my windows to turn on my heat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

New work computer. Refurb'ed 27-inch iMac 3.7GHz 6-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display and Radeon Pro Vega 48. As I post this I just got notification that the adapter so that I can use my older Cintiq with this arrived.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I got lucky that my second shot didn't really make me sick but I was drowsy as gently caress for a couple of days like I drank a bottle of nyquil.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rolo posted:

:yeah:

I’ve been spending the morning looking online for an old game boy color and camera I can restore and mod.

I have a game boy camera in a drawer if you’re serious

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Big argument for is the ability to toss it up on a tripod and the optical zoom—that’ll create better pics for further away stuff than most phones can.

That being said, I feel like 3.2 MP is potato camera territory? I’m a dumbass when it comes to photography, but I always understood that ~13MP was more analogous to the resolution you’d get from a film camera, and I feel like most handhelds passed that milestone awhile ago? Also MP != picture quality past a certain point, and that stuff like the sensor size and whatnot has a bigger impact in the final product?

Legitimately asking, from people smarter than me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

OSU_Matthew posted:

Big argument for is the ability to toss it up on a tripod and the optical zoom—that’ll create better pics for further away stuff than most phones can.

That being said, I feel like 3.2 MP is potato camera territory? I’m a dumbass when it comes to photography, but I always understood that ~13MP was more analogous to the resolution you’d get from a film camera, and I feel like most handhelds passed that milestone awhile ago? Also MP != picture quality past a certain point, and that stuff like the sensor size and whatnot has a bigger impact in the final product?

Legitimately asking, from people smarter than me.

I'd be interested in seeing the Dork Room slapfight that could happen there. I want to say most devent DSLRs/Mirrorless/you know, "cameras" with a decent lens will outperform phones outside of stuff like the recent iPhone Pros. That said, I'm likely talking out my rear end. Versatility isn't to be sneezed at either, though you can get a lot of that out of software these days. If just a neat thing to tinker with, idk.

Phone software is a lot more pleasant/idiot proof though. Holy hell Sony, get your poo poo together.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ooof, lovely snipe.

Well, pretty soon I'm gonna be posting a bunch of home office purchases since I decided to quit my job and go independent. list so far is desk, chair, need some kind of couch/day bed, art work, shelves, filing cabinet, new laptop, new desktop, and something fun to play with while I'm on Zoom meetings with my new business partner.

Guessing you probably already know, but save your receipts on all that as well as anything tangentially work related to claim credits for tax time :)

Solice Kirsk posted:

That second shot knocked me on my rear end. I had the chills and everything. It was a beautiful 70 degrees outside and I closed my windows to turn on my heat.

Hey, I had the same symptoms when I had Covid last February! Couldn’t get warm or seem to control my body temp

Purchases wise, just ordered 70 bags of mulch from Menards and an edger to mulch up the small gap under the fence I put in last year.

Now to make a bunch of trips over and gradually load up all those bags 12-15 at a time!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Purchases wise, just ordered 70 bags of mulch from Menards and an edger to mulch up the small gap under the fence I put in last year.

Now to make a bunch of trips over and gradually load up all those bags 12-15 at a time!
I'm in the process of moving from a house that has mulch all around to a house with rocks. I won't miss the mulch runs even if Lowe's is only a mile away.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Warbird posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the Dork Room slapfight that could happen there. I want to say most devent DSLRs/Mirrorless/you know, "cameras" with a decent lens will outperform phones outside of stuff like the recent iPhone Pros. That said, I'm likely talking out my rear end. Versatility isn't to be sneezed at either, though you can get a lot of that out of software these days. If just a neat thing to tinker with, idk.

Phone software is a lot more pleasant/idiot proof though. Holy hell Sony, get your poo poo together.

The dorkroom does not care what camera you use, just what photos you make. We have a wonderful cell phone photography thread, a lot of us use film all the way from half frame to large format, I shoot pinhole sometimes, and there's been some real good use of early digital aesthetic. It's all about purpose. We generally aim to view and make photography as art. Sometimes the medium is important to the piece, sometimes it isn't.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bape Culture posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bape Culture posted:

Waaa waaa waaaa why do people like things

- some guys who play table top rpgs or whatever who loving cares

To elaborate further, you get a different result out of old digital cameras, often better colors with a CCD sensor, plus it’s cheaper than paying for film and development

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Look, I get it, some old cameras are magic. I still have a Canon 5D classic in my pro kit because it has better color in good light than modern canon full frames, but that piece of junk you posted has such bad chromatic aberration in the shadows you might as well take a pic on your phone and put a water color filter on it. Have fun with old toys but don’t kid yourself about their capabilities. I love my 5D but I wouldn’t dare make a 24x36 print from it like I would from my R5.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I buy old useless tech spec books (like on vacuum tubes) because they look cool

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

:lol:

Just bought some cheat meal fast food to celebrate covid shot number 2 and the impending fever! Yay!

Nice. I chose Taco John's.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Samples literally cannot sound the same as an analog synth.

Yes they can. Where do you think the samples come from? Synthesizer purists are almost as bad as audiophiles - any reason other than "I find the interface/workflow more fun and rewarding" is disingenuous.

That said, I get the camera argument. I recently spent a whole lot of dosh on a fancy digital camera and one of my favourite lenses to shoot with is a cheap little LensBaby Trio. I get the allure of 'lo-fi' aesthetic of a crap camera. Several of my friends bring disposable film cameras to all of our outings to the island or my cottage, and those are some great memories.

Brian Eno posted:

Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit — all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart.

Plus, maybe the OP just wants to take pictures on vacation without worrying about losing their phone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Smashing Link posted:

Nice. I chose Taco John's.

Taco Bell lol.

My biggest food guilty pleasure is cheesy gordita crunches.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Yes they can. Where do you think the samples come from? Synthesizer purists are almost as bad as audiophiles - any reason other than "I find the interface/workflow more fun and rewarding" is disingenuous.

Well the sampler plays back what you put into it but it doesn’t mean it ”sounds like an analog synth”, definetly doesn’t behave like one. You could maybe replicate a single preset with sampling but its static, filter allready baked into it etc.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Pretty much:

Mister Speaker posted:

That said, I get the camera argument. I recently spent a whole lot of dosh on a fancy digital camera and one of my favourite lenses to shoot with is a cheap little LensBaby Trio. I get the allure of 'lo-fi' aesthetic of a crap camera. Several of my friends bring disposable film cameras to all of our outings to the island or my cottage, and those are some great memories.

Plus, maybe the OP just wants to take pictures on vacation without worrying about losing their phone.

It’s fun to collect cheap old cameras, plus I dig the aesthetics.

It’s not that deep.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Lmao you don't know how samples work.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is this where we get into a long argument about vinyl vs mp3 vs FLAC? Because that somehow sounds even worse than the sneaker wars.

I just bought some Cheerios Oat Crunch (cinnamon), it's good as hell. Really satisfying cereal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Haha. Yeah, I do. If you're literally talking about loading samples directly into your DAW and nothing else, then yes, they are significantly more restrictive than any synth - analog or digital, hardware or VST. As W424 said, filters and modulation and effects are "baked in" and you're left with however your sampler can manipulate audio. I was sort of under the impression that the example wasn't so literal, that Solice Kirsk was talking more open-endedly about anything 'in the box' versus the sweet sound of analog hardware, which always brings out insufferable analog purists.

EDIT: If we are taking it literally, load up a Kontakt instrument sampled from a popular patch of a popular analog synth. IDK why you'd do things this way instead of getting a VST like something from the Arturia analog suite, but nevertheless: If the company that built that Kontakt patch from samples knows what they're doing, that patch is detailed enough to never betray a single artifact from the time-stretching algorithm. If you can tell the difference between that and the real deal, I'll eat a broomstick.

EDIT: Content because I'm responsible for continuing this derail. I saw this and had to have it.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hey so look i bought something

it's a blanket to keep in the car, so i can cover the back seats - trunk if i'm transporting anything I don't want to ruin my seats with

ps: as much as you might be able to convince yourself light coloured leather seats are good, do not get light coloured leather seats.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Blue On Blue posted:

it's a blanket to keep in the car, so i can cover the back seats - trunk if i'm transporting anything I don't want to ruin my seats with

ps: as much as you might be able to convince yourself light coloured leather seats are good, do not get light coloured leather seats.

Is that one of those old-school military wool blankets? If so they're great to have in a car for emergencies, mainly because of it gets wet you can still retain some heat.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I personally wouldn’t argue audio stuff with someone called Mister Speaker.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blue On Blue posted:

You could just try not putting bodies in your car, and you wouldn't have the staining problem.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
14 cup Cuisinart food processor:

Always wanted a nice one, finally bit the bullet and got one the other week from a sale on Sidedeal.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Bought me an ebike so I can scoot around and go from my apartment to the makerspace in style.

The first day riding it I was laughed at by 3 teenage girls.

I also passed by a red-neck guy on an ebike who shot me a big smile and dropped a “hell yeah, brother!” Which more than makes up for it.

This is legally a bicycle but it throttles up to 28mph. Tons of fun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blue On Blue posted:

Oh man, it's the Blanket that I always got at every sleepover, ever

I can feel the itchy through the computer

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

App13 posted:

Bought me an ebike so I can scoot around and go from my apartment to the makerspace in style.

I also passed by a red-neck guy on an ebike who shot me a big smile and dropped a “hell yeah, brother!” Which more than makes up for it.

Why does this image look rendered, wtf.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Got some camping gear today:

Very excited for my spouse and I to go camping with our not incredibly leaky air mattress and to live on something that is not foil packs!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

App13 posted:

It's pretty fun cause you can cruise around people in the bike lane, hah. I remember at my college, you could always tell the guys who had gotten DUIs because they'd be riding these things around (or small gas powered versions)

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

App13 posted:

Who makes this? I want one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There’s a million options depending on your use. Get a reputable brand though. Cheap ones might burn your house down.

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-electric-bikes/

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Meant that specific bike. RadRunner it looks like. Cheers.

I really need to knuckle down and get a conversion for my Vespa small frame.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I bought a glass trackpad from a Lenovo X1 to replace the plastic trackpad on my T480s.

It's not very photogenic.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

NewFatMike posted:

Very excited for my spouse and I to go camping with our not incredibly leaky air mattress and to live on something that is not foil packs!

Habachi loving own.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why does this image look rendered, wtf.

I blame the reflective strip on the tire and the direction of the sun :D

skrapp mettle posted:

Who makes this? I want one.

This is a Rad Runner 1. Pretty cheap in the ebike world (I paid $1100, I think they've gone up a little since then. I also picked up an Eggrider which is a replacement LCD screen so I can see my speed and battery levels, and also go into the settings to unlock more speed/torque :getin:

Would recommend

Glottis posted:

It's pretty fun cause you can cruise around people in the bike lane, hah. I remember at my college, you could always tell the guys who had gotten DUIs because they'd be riding these things around (or small gas powered versions)

God this is so true and almost stopped me from buying one

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some more records. I'd been looking for some other 80s Japanese stuff on Yahoo Auctions but some of it can get pretty expensive and again I seemed to have timed it just right by accident since seven Kimagure Orange Road albums are being reissued on vinyl later this month. Wasn't super interested in the ones with all the BGM, but these two have most of the pop tracks between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wanted to get a print of Pocket Park after you posted it and took one look at the price and noped out

It's super chill music though, put it on my spotify rotation