Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vintersorg posted:

Yep the Canadian one.

Also nothing yet! :lol: I need to buy a 60% keyboard as well. But I don't want to miss out on this as it seems once they are gone that's it unless they rerelease.

But that would be better, eh? poo poo... it's not like I actually look at the drat things when I type.

drat, you might have just saved me a ton of money! Also need to get that sushi mat by the end of the month.

https://www.deskhero.ca/collections/open-group-buys/products/deskmat-sushi

I know for a fact that if Dededecline does it again it likely won't be in the same profile. He might run it again in KAT though but it's gonna be a long while before that happens.

e: I'm also pretty sure this is gonna be "The Year of the 60%" so you should be able to pick up SOMETHING at some point. The person who is running this keycap set is also working on a couple 60% boards/PCBs as well.
I ordered one of the prototypes of the board that is going to be made by Charue Designs with Dededecline's pcb. I'm sure it's going to be a while before that actually gets to group buy but at least you have time to save up!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oooop.
What did I just say about "Year of the 60%" ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/mm5vhz/gb_pla60_gasket_mount_hotswap_60/

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m happy it’s not year of the split ortho or I’d be bleeding money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m happy it’s not year of the split ortho

...says who?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108798.0

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108472.0

HAHA OMG WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS???

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102890.0

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

It bothers me that the left hand trackball isn't located next to the thumb.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My Womier/GamaKay K87 arrived! I am an instant fan of linear switches, hot drat. It's nice to be able to type and not hear clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick all the time. Maybe it's because I'm not used to them yet, but I don't really sense any ping or anything on the switches; I wonder what it'll be like once I get around to lubing and filming them?

I do think I'll need to get myself a wrist rest though, I'm already a little achy here.

This is exciting even if it'll take a little getting used to!

EDIT: just gonna use the attachable wrist rest from my Corsair for now. It'll have to do.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 7, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Framboise posted:

My Womier/GamaKay K87 arrived! I am an instant fan of linear switches, hot drat. It's nice to be able to type and not hear clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick all the time.

:confused:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

My corsair had cherry blues. Very noisy in comparison to this thing's gateron yellows, which are much more pleasing to the ears.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Framboise posted:

My corsair had cherry blues. Very noisy in comparison to this thing's gateron yellows, which are much more pleasing to the ears.

I'm just teasing - I have Cherry Greens in one keyboard, and BOX Navy in another.

I . . . I may have a problem :ohdear:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This is nice and with my current mouse woes I endorse "trackball integrated into the keyboard".
I do not endorse $700 of trackball in the keyboard.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I used that Corsair for the past 6 years. I was used to the sound, but I was at the point where I was kind of tired of it. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend moved in with me and often goes to bed early since she she works first shift and I work second, so I feel kinda bad using such a noisy keyboard at night.

Ultimately I really just like how smooth this one feels. The crunchy tactile feeling of clicky switches is nice and all, but this really feels nice. I do notice myself accidentally hitting extra keys with this one a bit more though. Will take a little getting used to.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Framboise posted:

I mean, I used that Corsair for the past 6 years. I was used to the sound, but I was at the point where I was kind of tired of it. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend moved in with me and often goes to bed early since she she works first shift and I work second, so I feel kinda bad using such a noisy keyboard at night.

Ultimately I really just like how smooth this one feels. The crunchy tactile feeling of clicky switches is nice and all, but this really feels nice. I do notice myself accidentally hitting extra keys with this one a bit more though. Will take a little getting used to.

Yeah, I was concerned when I swapped from my Logitech Membrane board for gaming to this WASD Code in Cherry Green, but Krisp in Discord seems to do a pretty good job of keep clicks from transmitting even when I'm running voice active.

As far as the sleeping thing, that's something I've never had to deal with personally, but I totally get it. I was just teasing ^_^

. . . I'm not sold on the WASD Code in Green for a permanent gaming solution, though. I'm not sure if I'll end up looking for some sort of other switch for that or not. I just needed something RIGHT NOW that wasn't failing to register keypresses in the middle of a critical burn phase, and this Code was not in use at the time :p

. . . . . . . now I'm really curious to see how BOX Navy feels tonight during raid, hmm . . .

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Framboise posted:

My Womier/GamaKay K87 arrived! I am an instant fan of linear switches, hot drat. It's nice to be able to type and not hear clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick all the time. Maybe it's because I'm not used to them yet, but I don't really sense any ping or anything on the switches; I wonder what it'll be like once I get around to lubing and filming them?

I do think I'll need to get myself a wrist rest though, I'm already a little achy here.

EDIT: just gonna use the attachable wrist rest from my Corsair for now. It'll have to do.

You obviously need a Model M.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Framboise posted:

How's the quality on the Womier/GamaKay? I was considering their 65% board. I think I read a review where the switches don't snap into the keyboard so if you flipped it upside down they would fall out.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Framboise posted:

Have you considered silent tactiles?

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4-silent-tactile-switches

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

How's the quality on the Womier/GamaKay? I was considering their 65% board. I think I read a review where the switches don't snap into the keyboard so if you flipped it upside down they would fall out.

Keeping in mind my only experience with mech keyboards before this one is a Corsair with clicky switches, this feels pretty drat premium (despite the Corsair being a heavy metal keyboard with some extra media controls and a volume wheel) compared to it, despite actually costing less than I spent on the Corsair 6 years ago. It feels very sturdy overall, but I do feel like they could have beveled the layers of acrylic that the board itself is made of, it really just feels like a slab of plastic-- but it's thick, sturdy plastic, so it's fine. The "premium"-ness here purely comes from the feel of the typing itself. The rest of the board is simple, but in an appealing way.

The RGB is absolutely stunning and I'm considering getting some pudding keycaps just because the regular caps don't do them justice. I had originally thought I was gonna put the AKKO caps I ordered on it, but this is a board where you want the novelty to shine through (even if I skipped the obnoxious cycling colors and just keep it at a solid purple with the effect that ripples when I press a key).

I tested pulling off a keycap and a switch and it seemed to come out without too much effort, but I just flipped it and shook it pretty hard; nothing came loose.

I made the right choice in picking Gateron Yellows as my switches, they feel unbelievably good and can only imagine what it would be like once I modify them with lube and film. If this is how linears feel, I have to wonder how much better they can go. The keys do have a little wiggle space to them but I don't really hear any pinginess from them. The stabilizers on the modifier keys seem sturdy (in comparison to how rattly my Corsair's were), but the spacebar could use a little work, and I intend to do so. It's not bad but I know it could be better. I've watched a ton of videos of people modifying this board, so it seems to have a pretty high ceiling for quality with a little TLC.

THAT SAID: a lot of those videos said that the K87 "fixed a lot of the issues the 65% board had", but I think that context was mostly in reference to the RGB? I'm not really sure but it could also be referring to the hotswap slots as well.

Overall I'm pretty pleased! This will hold me over quite well until I get a custom build rolling. I do also want to experiment with various switches and can now do so now that I have a hotswappable board to play with.

tl;dr: ymmv on the 65%, but the TKL feels great.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 8, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SkyeAuroline posted:

This is nice and with my current mouse woes I endorse "trackball integrated into the keyboard".
I do not endorse $700 of trackball in the keyboard.

yeah that poo poo is very expensive... I can't discern why though...
Maybe dude has sunk a FUCKTON of money in getting help with development? IDK? Maybe he only plans to sell like 8?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I swear this hobby is like smoking crack. You always come back for more.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Framboise posted:

Wrong and bad opinion. Clicky is supreme.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

First time I'd be interested in a keyboard with something else on it other than keys. Seems to be a nice design, too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Wrong and bad opinion. Clicky is supreme.

Oh god. I can actually hear your opinion now with my quieter keyboard. :v:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I just got my Durgod Hades 68 yesterday and I really like it a lot! I really liked my Leopold FC660C when I was actually still using it but the lack of media keys and other customization kinda drove me crazy. The software that flashes the firmware on the Hades is pretty barebones but the level of customization you get is really nice.

Shaving off the two extra columns from the TKL when it comes to going from the mouse to the keyboard feels more significant than I remember too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone want to try to talk me out of the KBD67 R2 set?

I have caps and can grab yellows for ~15$

No, forget it. I'm not going to spend the money. NO.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone want to try to talk me out of the KBD67 R2 set?

I have caps and can grab yellows for ~15$

No, forget it. I'm not going to spend the money. NO.

What's the appeal of the kbd67 over a tofu or a drop alt or something? I'm looking into getting a 65% next so I'm trying to learn more about popular boards.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Framboise posted:

What's the appeal of the kbd67 over a tofu or a drop alt or something? I'm looking into getting a 65% next so I'm trying to learn more about popular boards.

Cheaper?

kbd67 is $110 where drop alt is $180 and I think tofu is something similar. I've read the build quality is good too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

redeyes posted:

You obviously need a Model M.

I have a new Unicomp classic 104 model M and literally got a Keychron C2 plus some Gazzew Boba U4 silent switches for times where I need to... not have clicky-clacky thocky thockies.

edit: now that I've spent an obscene amount of money on the actual keyboards, I'm tentatively looking at custom cables and aviator connectors so that switching keyboards is easier and my desktop stays tidy :v:

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This hobby slowly kills you, eh? Said gently caress it, got the ePBT aesthetic base and white novelties, now i find a goddamn matching cable: https://rocketscables.com/collections/group-buy-cables/products/gb-epbt-aesthetic-cable

And while that's being all setup I guess I have a some time to build the board.

Going with this for the board: DZ60RGB-ANSI V2 HOT SWAP

This video was really helpful in calming me down for this "journey".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVaUvywGMw

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm finally in the market for a new keyboard. I would like something tenkeyless that is reasonably quiet so it doesn't bother my wife. What kind of options are there?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

alg posted:

I'm finally in the market for a new keyboard. I would like something tenkeyless that is reasonably quiet so it doesn't bother my wife. What kind of options are there?

What's your budget?

Durgod Taurus K320 is pretty nice. Type of switch is the next thing you need to look at. Do you want linear or tactile (don't get clicky unless you want a divorce) and would you like them on the heavier or lighter side?

In a nutshell for Cherry MX switches:

Linear = black (heavier) or red (lighter)
Tactile = clear (heavier) or brown (lighter)

Another keyboard brand that is recommended often is Keychron which can also be used wireless. I tried them once and wasn't a fan but that's probably because I've gone down the rabbit hole. Seems to be a nice board to start with from what I hear from folks less spoiled.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

LochNessMonster posted:

What's your budget?

Durgod Taurus K320 is pretty nice. Type of switch is the next thing you need to look at. Do you want linear or tactile (don't get clicky unless you want a divorce) and would you like them on the heavier or lighter side?

In a nutshell for Cherry MX switches:

Linear = black (heavier) or red (lighter)
Tactile = clear (heavier) or brown (lighter)

Another keyboard brand that is recommended often is Keychron which can also be used wireless. I tried them once and wasn't a fan but that's probably because I've gone down the rabbit hole. Seems to be a nice board to start with from what I hear from folks less spoiled.

I like the Durgod, silent red would be the quietest linear right?

I'm still using a keyboard from 15+ years ago, how do people with a TKL keyboard do media control?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Durgod Taurus K320... wow, this brings me right back to the 90s and the keyboards in the lab.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

alg posted:

I'm still using a keyboard from 15+ years ago, how do people with a TKL keyboard do media control?

Depends on the keyboard but there's usually some shortcuts using the function button.

Womier TKL might be a good option too: https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical...443&sr=8-1&th=1

This one comes with red switches. Can change out the switches if you don't end up liking them.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 9, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Depends on the keyboard but there's usually some shortcuts using the function button.

Womier TKL might be a good option too: https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical...443&sr=8-1&th=1

This one comes with red switches. Can change out the switches if you don't end up liking them.

I can vouch for this one; it's the one I just picked up (except I got one with Gateron yellow switches) and I'm liking it a lot. The RGB is a silly novelty and completely unnecessary but it's still fun to play around with.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LochNessMonster posted:

Don't you threaten me with a good time :v:

If you select the correct switch, your partner will be so satisfied with the soothing "thock" coming from your desk that it will only enhance your relationship

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I ordered myself a Keychroon K4 with hot swap functionality.

Is there any clicky switch where the actuation point is reall, really close to the click point? I would like a set of clicky switches for my home office, and I think I'd like it when the switches would clearly signal their actuation point.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

alg posted:

Silent red/black are both quiet but black takes a bit more force to push, which is completely up to personal preference.

Media controls on the Durgod are FN + F1–F7 if I remember correctly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Stimperor posted:

I ordered myself a Keychroon K4 with hot swap functionality.

Is there any clicky switch where the actuation point is reall, really close to the click point? I would like a set of clicky switches for my home office, and I think I'd like it when the switches would clearly signal their actuation point.

That's not really a thing that's widely advertised so much, but I also can't remotely imagine needing it to be that close to realize the switch has clicked. It is technically possible to press a kailh clickbar switch carefully enough to click the bar but not actuate the switch, but doing so is so wildly different from how you'd be typing on a board that it's incredibly hard to do it in practice.

I might suggest Matias/Alps switches but they're not ones that will work in the MX style hotswap boards I believe. I do think the kailh clickbar series switches are by far the best clicky switch in general availability though.

The kailh bronze (https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile-clicky/kaihua-bronze/ ) has an extremely close distance between the clickbar trigger and the actuation point, about .2mm. Matias clicks are also about .2mm, while the non "speed" series Kailh clickbars are more like .3mm

e: Classic cherry blues are about .5mm for reference.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 9, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vintersorg posted:

This hobby slowly kills you, eh? Said gently caress it, got the ePBT aesthetic base and white novelties, now i find a goddamn matching cable: https://rocketscables.com/collections/group-buy-cables/products/gb-epbt-aesthetic-cable

And while that's being all setup I guess I have a some time to build the board.

Going with this for the board: DZ60RGB-ANSI V2 HOT SWAP

This video was really helpful in calming me down for this "journey".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVaUvywGMw

gently caress yes. Good for you.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gwaihir posted:

That's not really a thing that's widely advertised so much, but I also can't remotely imagine needing it to be that close to realize the switch has clicked. It is technically possible to press a kailh clickbar switch carefully enough to click the bar but not actuate the switch, but doing so is so wildly different from how you'd be typing on a board that it's incredibly hard to do it in practice.

I might suggest Matias/Alps switches but they're not ones that will work in the MX style hotswap boards I believe. I do think the kailh clickbar series switches are by far the best clicky switch in general availability though.

The kailh bronze (https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile-clicky/kaihua-bronze/ ) has an extremely close distance between the clickbar trigger and the actuation point, about .2mm. Matias clicks are also about .2mm, while the non "speed" series Kailh clickbars are more like .3mm

e: Classic cherry blues are about .5mm for reference.

Oh, I want to go read more on that. I'm just looking at some Kailh switches and they seem to be competitively priced, at least compared then I first bought Zealios for E4/piece. And there seems to be much variety. Interesting! Board should arrive within the next two hours, so I'm going to put it on a test run for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

alg posted:

There's a separate function layer on the K320 that gives you access to media keys (volume, pause/play, etc). It replaces the windows key on the right side.

Silent red is pretty quiet, but the feel of it is definitely different than non-silent keyswitches. This may or may not matter depending on the board you've been using currently.