Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Weddings would be more fun if it was socially acceptable to just leave when you got bored. But as it is people are expected to turn up before noon for a 2pm ceremony that lasts 10 minutes, then hang around for four hours before dinner, then for another 4-6 hours because everyone is terrified of being the first to leave. This is fine when it's your sister, or your best friend getting married, but I resent giving up an entire day for some third cousin I only see at family wedding/funerals, or someone my girlfriend was vaguely friends with at school.

I was DJ:ing at a wedding and at 22:00 the groom grabbed a mic and told everyone to gently caress off because there was another party coming in to the place they'd rented. Also the whole thing was supposed to start at 18:00 sharp and despite the fact that people were still coming in he told the priest to get on with it because they didn't have all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's actually cool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

Agreed.

Weddings are fun and I enjoy seeing people I like.

Lol is that who you see at weddings?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been walking about in a stoned haze for so long i didn't realise they remade nightmare on elm street in 2010 lol I'm gonna skive work and watch this probably terrible movie

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've been walking about in a stoned haze for so long i didn't realise they remade nightmare on elm street in 2010 lol I'm gonna skive work and watch this probably terrible movie

Cool

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Even by horror remake standards it’s bad, so it’s absolutely worth watching.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol is that who you see at weddings?

Yes! It’s often my friends who also invite other mutual friends of ours. Or similarly aged cousins/siblings who I also get along with.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I only recently found out this opinion is unpopular but the What We Do in the Shadows FX show starts out pretty awful and only gets worse. Like there are a few decent episodes in the first season but that's it. I think it's the writing that's the problem as it is extra lovely and also Kayvan Novak should stick to voice acting.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the movie is a fuckin masterpiece though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think it would be better if people downplayed their recommendations just a bit, you are only gonna put people off throwing around 'masterpiece', just call things quite good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Wellington Paranormal more.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think it would be better if people downplayed their recommendations just a bit, you are only gonna put people off throwing around 'masterpiece', just call things quite good.

this is literally the worst post of all time

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm genuinely curious: what films would you be willing to class as a masterpiece? There's a lot that goes into that word, it's hard to define. I'd call Big Night and also Hackers masterpieces but for wildly different reasons.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Thought about this and the first one that came to mind was Videodrome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I honestly think Rocky is a masterpiece. It has everything a good movie should and also this weird feeling like making that movie was Stallone's own personal "Rocky" story.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

I'm genuinely curious: what films would you be willing to class as a masterpiece? There's a lot that goes into that word, it's hard to define. I'd call Big Night and also Hackers masterpieces but for wildly different reasons.

Jurassic Park.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Jurassic Park.

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I honestly think Rocky is a masterpiece. It has everything a good movie should and also this weird feeling like making that movie was Stallone's own personal "Rocky" story.

I don't think anyone who's actually seen rocky has a low opinion of it. People just assume it's just some lovely sports movie.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think anyone who's actually seen rocky has a low opinion of it. People just assume it's just some lovely sports movie.

Its like the first Rambo, an actual movie, not a summer no-brains sports/action blockbuster.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's weird how that happened to him. What do you think started twisting him more and more towards action-y roles.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fizzymercury posted:

That's a tough question and my answer will be rightly scrutinised in lieu of my previous post - there a are a lot of films I would say are excellent films enjoyable by most people - Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Big Lebowski, Jurassic Park nothing particularly niche or surprising, the most recent movie I came out being impressed enough by to consider recommending to people was The Martian.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Thought about this and the first one that came to mind was Videodrome.

Yeah. It's not a perfect movie, and there are a lot of movies I'd probably rank "above" it, but it does have a certain je ne sais quoi

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's weird how that happened to him. What do you think started twisting him more and more towards action-y roles.

Money. "Do you want to use your jacked-up appearance and name recognition on making cerebral stuff for a paycheck of 50 000 USD per movie and fade out when your health starts to fade, or make Action poo poo like Arnold and get paid 50 000 000 per movie because you star the movie and are one of the producers/writers/own part of the IPR via your production company?"

But in any case it should be remembered that Sly was *really* close to getting an Oscar for Rocky and on a year with lesser competition would have won one.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Apr 7, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I really liked Lelouch's Zero Requiem thanatos gambit during the ending of Code Geass.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was sick as hell, pretty much the only way the show could've ended. I'll go farther and say season 2 is far better than most people give it credit for

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It is. That's what all sports movies are like.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ok wow maybe shut the gently caress up about Brian’s Song

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's no rule saying a dog can't play

doverhog
May 31, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Yeah. It's not a perfect movie, and there are a lot of movies I'd probably rank "above" it, but it does have a certain je ne sais quoi

To me it's the essential Cronenberg piece. Bizarre, perverse and stylized. Ambiguous as what is real and what is a delusion. Exiting, horny. Existenz explores the same motifs well but IMO Videodrome is the superior film.

Long live the new flesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9MdxMnt-_U

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fizzymercury posted:

It’s only a masterpiece if it propels an artist from apprentice to master.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember watching Bring It On and thinking it had a lot to say about the degradation and listlessness of Urban America in the 70's

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Money. "Do you want to use your jacked-up appearance and name recognition on making cerebral stuff for a paycheck of 50 000 USD per movie and fade out when your health starts to fade, or make Action poo poo like Arnold and get paid 50 000 000 per movie because you star the movie and are one of the producers/writers/own part of the IPR via your production company?"

But in any case it should be remembered that Sly was *really* close to getting an Oscar for Rocky and on a year with lesser competition would have won one.

I mean, even if he didn’t get Best Actor he still got Best Picture which, for a movie that he came up with, wrote and starred in, is kind of the better win anyway.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

China is doing genocide right now. The only difference to nazi Germany is they are not at war while they're doing it, instead they are part of the capitalist world order so no one has the balls to do anything about it. Please kill and enslave the Uighurs sir, just don't mess with my factory, I need it for my profits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It took communism to really do capitalism right.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
But China said they're not doing a genocide.

But they also said that if they were, they deserve it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They also said what are you gonna do about it you lil' bitch-rear end. So far no one is doing anything, because------- :chloe:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have tattoo of the white tree of Gondor and it is in fact cool

This is smart, if you are getting attacked by ring wraiths you simply rip your shirt off and yell, 'Elbereth,' and they will leave you alone. Unfortunately Orcs are too vulgar for this to work. I guess it's like Danny Divito said in the commercial for that straight to netflix movie, 'guy with a pale Morgul blade? Rip your shirt off and yell "Elbereth!;" guy with yellowed tusks, big hairy arms and legs and a scimitar? Run!'

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
what

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Elbereth is the elvish name for Varda, the queen of stars. Calling upon her may deter wraiths, because they are sensitive to the immaterial. Orcs don't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's nothing wrong with hypocrisy.