Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume that her main purpose will be serving as another character from the Mermaid Kingdom to bounce off Laura - and given what an absolute gremlin Laura is, that should be a lot of fun.

I wouldn't be suprised if her role was to assure the kids that not everyone from Grand Ocean is like Laura and as such saving them is, yaknow, not a bad idea.

I mean especialy as the bad guys are a lot less sinister this time around.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Forgot to post after watching the newest episode, but Asuka owns. I definitely see the Jupiter comparisons, at least like super early Jupiter. I really love this show so far, hope the quality keeps up past the intro arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

A seal-like sea fairy from the Grand Ocean and also the Queen's current pet. Kururun always goes at their own pace, and their cry is "kururun~!" (くるるん~!)

The Queen's pet who always goes at her own pace? Yeah, she's going to drive Laura up the wall. :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m kind of curious how she’s going to show up though (probably she either wanders out into the human world on her own or the queen sends her to check on Laura). Either way I’m betting this thing is going to be a major thorn in our favorite mermaid’s side and I look forward to it.

Since we finally have her name I’m guessing the Shrimp Maid Elda will be showing up within the next two episodes as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So with Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman later this year and Shin Kamen Rider in 2023 I wonder if they’re ever going to do a Shin Precure movie.

I sort of doubt that since the target audience is still elementary school girls but who knows (a live action series ala PGSM could be cool though).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think the reason we haven't seen any web series or stand alone movies in Precure like a Shin Kamen Rider is that the secondary big audience (Adult Women) really just want to watch Precure and aren't looking for a different take.It's probably why the various Sailor Moon reboot stuff is still very much Sailor Moon as well

As for live action, I really don't see Toei trying a non suit Toku series for awhile as PGSM proved that the action is just super hard to do and have it look consistent or good (while being on a TV show budget).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How about the live action Takara Tomy magical girl shows? Are those any better in terms of action?

Though ironically despite PGSM being really low budget it was probably my second favorite incarnation of the franchise after the 90’s anime and put an interesting new spin on the established story (now if only they would actually release the show overseas).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 6: That was fun. The club is now established, being sort of a general "good deeds" club. And the penguin statue comes back into play! Plus, that was Ayahi Takagaki as Elda (who a lot of you may recognize as Chris Yukine in Symphogear).

Next time finally Kururun shows up (also the first group finisher is apparently a big cannon).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like the cannon will end up being an imagine spot/excuse to reference JAKQ, just because Precure finishers tend not to work like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like the cannon will end up being an imagine spot/excuse to reference JAKQ, just because Precure finishers tend not to work like that.

Seems that way, yeah:

Also giant fish cannon may possibly be the best Precure finisher I’ve ever seen, definitely looking forward to that next week (assuming it’s real and not just someone imagining it).

Though given the scene just before it of the group raising their hands as a light forms above them there’s still a chance it might be real.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 4, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

How about the live action Takara Tomy magical girl shows? Are those any better in terms of action?

Though ironically despite PGSM being really low budget it was probably my second favorite incarnation of the franchise after the 90’s anime and put an interesting new spin on the established story (now if only they would actually release the show overseas).

I've only seen bits and pieces of the Takara Tomy live action show but it's more singing and dancing than fighting and whelp Precure should would of sorta of expect good fights scenes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting thing of note, the broadcast version of this episode had Laura doing the ending where they talk about the day’s lucky color. However, the Crunchyroll version changed it to Summer instead:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1IAObJHqLxY

I also liked the two fourth wall breaking jokes in this episode:

-When deciding what they’re going to do for the club Laura suggests Precure activities to which Manatsu replies that they’ll do that on Sunday mornings (the time Precure usually airs in Japan)

-After the monster fight, Laura complains that she didn’t get any spotlight this time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 4, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I admit to having to pause the video for a moment after that Sunday gag.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

-When deciding what they’re going to do for the club Laura suggests Precure activities to which Manatsu replies that they’ll do that on Sunday mornings (the time Precure usually airs in Japan)

I completely missed that one, that's real good.

And Laura going "wait, I didn't do anything! Boo!" Was also really excellent. No, seriously, do we actually need the seal fairy with her around?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I completely missed that one, that's real good.

And Laura going "wait, I didn't do anything! Boo!" Was also really excellent. No, seriously, do we actually need the seal fairy with her around?

You honestly don't want to see Laura put in another position of personal responsibility? :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also judging by the preview, is this the earliest we’ve ever gotten the first team finisher in a Precure series (not counting stuff like Futari Wa and the likewhere we basically get the full team right out of the gate that is)?

Additionally, it seems like Laura needs a visit from Miss Shamour.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 5, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Started watching Sailor Moon for the first time. Usagi crying and hitting her enemies with sonic wave was pretty rad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, now I’m not sure what’s going on at the end of the preview for this week’s Tropical Rouge episode since according to the new titles that got released the first team finisher Mix Tropical won’t be appearing until episode 10:

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Tropical-Rouge!_Pretty_Cure_episodes

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A lot of people are figguring its an imagine spot due to how much it looks like the JAKQ group finisher.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

A lot of people are figguring its an imagine spot due to how much it looks like the JAKQ group finisher.

Disappointing but probably true (though what’s tripping me up is there’s a few seconds beforehand of them summoning it)

Too bad, the Fish Cannon was cool.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 6, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the full versions of the Tropical Rouge OP & ED are out:

OP: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RQJ_Ga0679s

ED: https://youtube.com/watch?v=PPz9_-jv4X0

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Wow, Sailor Moon is so much gayer than I thought it'd be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, it has an explicit gay couple.

there is one or two episodes where it's kinda lovely about it, though, but thats cause the series juggled writers.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

macabresca posted:

Wow, Sailor Moon is so much gayer than I thought it'd be

My favourite story is how Japanese censorship accidentally made characters extra gay

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, I knew about the couple but I didn't know that e.g. Usagi goes heart-eyes when she sees Rei for the first time and other small things like that

Violet_Sky posted:

My favourite story is how Japanese censorship accidentally made characters extra gay

Oh, oh, what's the story?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Don’t think I heard that story, how so?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Don’t think I heard that story, how so?

In the final arc some characters are women who crossdress as men. Well one of those characters gets all romantic with Usagi and the anime execs didn't like that. So they made the characters biological men who transform into girls to fight. Needless to say that awoke some people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

In the final arc some characters are women who crossdress as men. Well one of those characters gets all romantic with Usagi and the anime execs didn't like that. So they made the characters biological men who transform into girls to fight. Needless to say that awoke some people.

Ah right, the Starlights (though I believe in the manga they were just women disguised as men as opposed to the anime where as mentioned they literally change genders when they transform). I remember now

Speaking of Sailor Moon, there hasn’t been any word as to when the Eternal movies are coming to Netflix yet has there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems like someone has finally managed to hack the Mermaid Pot and we have a look at our fifth Cure. And to the surprise of no one....

It’s Laura:

We have a visual of her human form as well:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm going to guess that the references to The Little Mermaid mixed with "mermaids can't become Cures" will eventually lead to Laura becoming human and giving up her claim to the throne. Most likely because doing that is "the most important thing to her at this moment".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, based on that design and the foreshadowing so far we are almost definitely going to get some Little Mermaid parallels during Cure LaMer’s intro arc.

And while this was a twist that basically everyone saw coming I will admit I do kind of like that design

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 9, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If this design holds that means 3 Cures on the active team having midriff designs. Funny given Cure Black's Max Heart designs

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If this design holds that means 3 Cures on the active team having midriff designs. Funny given Cure Black's Max Heart designs

It is the tropical themed season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Got some more pictures:

Her Heart Kuru Ring:

Group Picture:

A description of some kind (can anybody translate?):

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My Japanese is beginner tier at best but, the middle portion is "things she likes" which is listed as "singing a song" (appropriate for the source material, but has that actually been established about Laura yet?) And the bottom portion is her profile which says something like she is "doing whatever it takes to pursue her dream of becoming a queen"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It would be very her to go "but yeah no seriously I am gonna be mermaid queen" after going through the whole Hans Christian Anderson todo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if her new human form is a permanent change like was the case with Siren/Ellen in Suite or if she can swap back and forth as needed (I’m guessing the latter as otherwise fulfilling her dream of becoming the mermaid queen is going to be pretty difficult)

Also in the picture LaMer appears to have her own Tropical Pact on her belt like the others do despite there explicitly only being four of them. So either a new one appears from the ether like was the case with Ruru from Hugtto or maybe the Mermaid Pot turns into one somehow

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 7 is out.

Sadly, the Fish Cannon was just a fantasy sequence though Kururun has shades of being Fuwa of the Sea and her debut was pretty cute. What was thought to be a "power up item" was just her food basket, and Elda made her formal debut as a general.

Takagaki is using her Mitsuba Marui voice to its full effect here, making for a general who's not very intimidating but still a threat.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 11, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think it's worth explicitly clarifying that the dream sequence was specifically Laura's dream sequence, that she was the one who is convinced it was a power up, and that both of those things are incredibly on brand for her if you think about it. She's the best and I am so very glad the series decided to make her the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, though we will apparently be getting the real first team finisher in just 3 more episodes.

And yes, Laura is great and I’m glad it’s been confirmed that she will eventually be getting the recognition she deserves.

Elda seems fun as well and I could see a bit of a rivalry forming between her and Laura. Kururun is basically a Pokemon right now but it’s possible she could start talking later like Fuwa did.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 11, 2021