Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I think this is sort of silly and reductive honestly? From what I gather about Snyder he's fairly mum when it comes to being explicit about his political views but he's consistently expressed interest in adapting Ayn Rand and describes her in ways like this:

I don't think I'm having to read between the lines that he seems to have a kind of tempered respect for her at worst, certainly he seems to know a lot about her and agrees with her on some of the stuff he brings up, and seems to have much more time for her than Trump or Reagan.

I certainly wouldn't call him openly an Ayn Randian libertarian but I don't agree that this is as clearly wrong as you are treating it. And because of that I don't think it particularly worthwhile to completely everything else he says over that one line.

Again, it's taking this more nuanced quote and his interest in adapting one of Rand's books and making the leap to "openly an Ayn Randian libertarian [who] believes whole-heartedly in her philosophy".

I think judging a YouTube channel called "Just Write" on their word choice is fair game, especially when they are trying to establish a very deliberate narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

khwarezm posted:

I don't think I'm having to read between the lines that he seems to have a kind of tempered respect for her at worst, certainly he seems to know a lot about her and agrees with her on some of the stuff he brings up, and seems to have much more time for her than Trump or Reagan.

I certainly wouldn't call him openly an Ayn Randian libertarian but I don't agree that this is as clearly wrong as you are treating it. And because of that I don't think it particularly worthwhile to completely everything else he says over that one line.

Objectivists, much like card-carrying libertarians, do not tend to be subtle or reserved about their political philosophy - the work of Steve Ditko, the creator of Spiderman, is a relevant example. It doesn't really sound like you know all that much about what objectivism is other than that Ayn Rand invented it and it's Bad - but, well, nor do this endless succession of youtubers eager to explain how it's encoded into tiny moments of major blockbusters with such deft art that it requires a teacher to see it clearly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Why not just take Snyder to task for personally being a pro-capitalism liberal like just about every other famous Hollywood personality? Why invent the salacious extra detail?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Working against making a Fountainhead movie here is that

(A) Ayn Rand is seen as a conservative archdemon

(B) The only people getting Ayn Rand movies made are the same types making direct-to-video Christian end times movies

(C) Zack will not be forgiven for 300 in particular

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

khwarezm posted:

The Democrats are very clearly a party that fights to uphold the Capitalist system America lives under and especially Biden was propelled to the top to kneecap a genuine leftist movement from gaining momentum among American progressives. I don't think its particularly hard for Libertarians to vote for them in the two party dominated system today if they found Trump and his social policies too grotesque for too little gain.

My point being the extremity in which people frame Snyders political opinions is absurd in the face of the obvious fact the dude is classic rich white Hollywood liberal.

Youd think the guy was tweeting "Dont Tread On Me" flags constantly by the way hes talked about.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I think this is sort of silly and reductive honestly? From what I gather about Snyder he's fairly mum when it comes to being explicit about his political views but he's consistently expressed interest in adapting Ayn Rand and describes her in ways like this:

If someone opens up with "We all know he's an objectivist", that's a lie, and a baldfaced one at that, singularly based on him wanting to adapt the fountainhead, a book about artists not wanting their art messed with (gee, wonder why that might appeal to a director who constantly has seen his films changed, for the worse).

It's doubly stupid because his superhero films are all about how working together with others makes us stronger. This is literally the thesis of Justice League, but also apparent in MoS and BvS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I took a few philosophy classes in college and I remember when it came to objectivism the professor made sure to spend extra long going through why it barely even qualifies as a "philosophy" and detailing why every aspect of it is intellectually bankrupt dogshit for morons

He was a p good professor

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

josh04 posted:

Objectivists, much like card-carrying libertarians, do not tend to be subtle or reserved about their political philosophy - the work of Steve Ditko, the creator of Spiderman, is a relevant example. It doesn't really sound like you know all that much about what objectivism is other than that Ayn Rand invented it and it's Bad - but, well, nor do this endless succession of youtubers eager to explain how it's encoded into tiny moments of major blockbusters with such deft art that it requires a teacher to see it clearly.

I guess I'll ask you too, what do you think of Snyder's comments regarding Rand and his continued interest in adapting her work? Is he doing some kind of undercover operation here?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The fact that Snyder hasn’t made a movie trying to denounce the concept of AoC is conclusive proof that he’s not a libertarian.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Well... those days are over.

The Democrats are very clearly a party that fights to uphold the Capitalist system America lives under and especially Biden was propelled to the top to kneecap a genuine leftist movement from gaining momentum among American progressives. I don't think its particularly hard for Libertarians to vote for them in the two party dominated system today if they found Trump and his social policies too grotesque for too little gain.

What do you think of his comments in my post concerning Rand and his continued interest in adapting her work? Is it all some kind of long con?

lmao

khwarezm posted:

I guess I'll ask you too, what do you think of Snyder's comments regarding Rand and his continued interest in adapting her work? Is he doing some kind of undercover operation here?

No, how about you answer what it is about Zacks work that you think indicates a randian philosophy?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

khwarezm posted:

Depiction is not endorsement

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

khwarezm posted:

No he wants to adapt the book into a movie. This isn't the same as him "openly" admitting his politics or philosophy. The YouTuber is either 1) making a very, very poorly researched statement which undermines a lot of his points OR 2) deliberately lying to make his point easier to swallow. Either way it's a rough look.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

“People will think it’s hardcore right-wing propaganda” implies he knows how what he wants to do will look, even if he doesn't see it like that

Like the inverse of that Wow Cool Robot meme lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

“People will think it’s hardcore right-wing propaganda” implies he knows how what he wants to do will look, even if he doesn't see it like that

I mean, all it really implies is that he has read any article about this ever posted since he first expressed interest in the adaptation

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guy A. Person posted:

No he wants to adapt the book into a movie. This isn't the same as him "openly" admitting his politics or philosophy. The YouTuber is either 1) making a very, very poorly researched statement which undermines a lot of his points OR 2) deliberately lying to make his point easier to swallow. Either way it's a rough look.

I kind of just compartmentalize it as the youtuber jumping the gun too much when Snyder is less explicit about his politics than he's given him credit. I don't see it as good enough reason to write him off entirely when I think its a position that can be supported by Snyders own comments on and fairly evident interest in Rand and her work.

Again, I'm not saying I 100% agree with him on this, but I don't think he's lying as bluntly as people are suggesting, and I don't think it torpedoes his perspective and interpretation of the film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zack Snyder has done more for leftism than any boring YouTuber.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khwarezm posted:

I certainly wouldn't call him openly an Ayn Randian libertarian
Indeed you wouldn't, because you're concerned whether the things you say are true.

Anyway, shortly after that bit where he lies, he claims that Dawn Of The Dead promotes a fundamentalist Christian worldview where the apocalypse is caused by homosexuality and abortion. I hate zombie stuff so I only ever saw that film when it came out (as a double feature with Shaun Of The Dead) and my memories of it are so dim that I am not 100% confident when I say that is ridiculous, the film does not promote that worldview at all. Someone who likes zombie stuff more than me will have to address that further.

Back to his Justice League commentary: A reference to Chernobyl does not an anticommunist narrative make. There are other ideologies concerned with unity, such as: fascism. Previous Snyder movies have expressed anxieties about fascism, particularly Owls Of Gahoole and Man Of Steel. The good guys refer to being united all the time in dialogue, and of course they act together throughout the finale- the message is that unity is good, and the Unity of the mother boxes is not unity. This is also demonstrated in the movie, when Victor sees a vision of himself restored to his human body by the mother boxes as a mindless clone.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Again, I'm not saying I 100% agree with him on this, but I don't think he's lying as bluntly as people are suggesting, and I don't think it torpedoes his perspective and interpretation of the film.

You're wrong, because it absolutely does lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

I took a few philosophy classes in college and I remember when it came to objectivism the professor made sure to spend extra long going through why it barely even qualifies as a "philosophy" and detailing why every aspect of it is intellectually bankrupt dogshit for morons

He was a p good professor

Yeah it's stupid as all hell, has no real philosophical relevance and will mainly be remembered as the weird cult that shaped Alan Greenspan's views before he became Chair of the Federal Reserve.

khwarezm posted:

He likes the book and doesn't exist in a circle of people where that opinion is read as signalling your right-wing credentials. I think Mishima wrote beautiful books and in an alternate reality where I was a film producer I'd love to adapt them, but that doesn't make me a post-war Japanese fascist.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I know Libertarians personally who don't think of themselves as Right wing. I don't think they are correct, but I don't think they are being insincere about what they believe, mostly because they tend to perceive left/right being primarily about stances on various social issues.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Let’s cut to the chase: I am avowed communist and I love The Fountainhead because it’s a very fascinating story.

I would absolutely jump at the chance to work on an adaptation.

Do you believe that the above statement, which I fully stand by, is part of a conspiracy against you?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McCloud posted:

How about you answer what it is about Zacks work that you think indicates a randian philosophy?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I kind of just compartmentalize it as the youtuber jumping the gun too much when Snyder is less explicit about his politics than he's given him credit. I don't see it as good enough reason to write him off entirely when I think its a position that can be supported by Snyders own comments on and fairly evident interest in Rand and her work.

So then, again, you think it's not fair to judge a YouTuber with the handle "Just Write" on their very specific word usage?

It's not like there's a hard limit on YouTube upload sizes, we've talked here about multi-hour epic critiques, they could have easily explained even briefly their methodology when making that statement, or they could have phrased it in a more open ended (and honest) way.

I do agree the "they are just lying" is only one possibility, but the other possibilities here aren't very flattering either.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

josh04 posted:

He likes the book and doesn't exist in a circle of people where that opinion is read as signalling your right-wing credentials. I think Mishima wrote beautiful books and in an alternate reality where I was a film producer I'd love to adapt them, but that doesn't make me a post-war Japanese fascist.
Frankly, I think that's apples and oranges because I can see Mishima's value as a writer even if you somehow manage to disentangle his political stances from his talent and Ayn Rand in comparison has little to offer when it comes to her actual craft. I think you really need a pretty deep interest in her ideology for her works to be worthwhile to consume, even if its just to debunk.

And maybe that's what Snyder intends to do but I really have not seen anything concrete to suggest that he's going to make a movie to pull apart her world view when it comes to his comments on her and her work.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I know Libertarians personally who don't think of themselves as Right wing. I don't think they are correct, but I don't think they are being insincere about what they believe, mostly because they tend to perceive left/right being primarily about stances on various social issues.

Libertarians are the middle of the Venn diagram between people who don't know anything about politics, people who think they know everything about politics, and people who can't shut up about it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guy A. Person posted:

So then, again, you think it's not fair to judge a YouTuber with the handle "Just Write" on their very specific word usage?

It's not like there's a hard limit on YouTube upload sizes, we've talked here about multi-hour epic critiques, they could have easily explained even briefly their methodology when making that statement, or they could have phrased it in a more open ended (and honest) way.

I do agree the "they are just lying" is only one possibility, but the other possibilities here aren't very flattering either.

Its fair to judge, its more I don't think its worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater, that's why I said this is reductionist, there's lots of reviews and other such things I've read in my time where I can point to some obvious errors and statements I wouldn't agree with, but which nonetheless make some points and observations I like and think were insightful.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Fountainhead is cool but also exactly twice as long as it needed to be. Just a completely redundant second half that goes over the same journey again, or at least that's what I remember.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The Snyder=Objectivist thing can be tested very easily. About 100% of the evidence comes from the fact he wants to make a Fountainhead movie.

Following this logic, expressing interest in making a Fountainhead movie makes you an objectivist.

Oliver Stone has previously tried to make a Fountainhead movie. So therefore, Oliver Stone must be an objectivist right?

But of course he isn't, are you familiar with the mans views at all?

However if you want to talk about objectivist thought in modern movies, are you at all familiar with the character of Tony Stark?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ayn Rand has done more for leftism than any boring YouTuber

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

garycoleisgod posted:

The Snyder=Objectivist thing can be tested very easily. About 100% of the evidence comes from the fact he wants to make a Fountainhead movie.

Following this logic, expressing interest in making a Fountainhead movie makes you an objectivist.

Oliver Stone has previously tried to make a Fountainhead movie. So therefore, Oliver Stone must be an objectivist right?

But of course he isn't, are you familiar with the mans views at all?

However if you want to talk about objectivist thought in modern movies, are you at all familiar with the character of Tony Stark?

What did Stone say about Rand? And how does it compare to what Snyder has said about her?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yo, I'ma just answer questions with questions.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

teagone posted:

Yo, I'ma just answer questions with questions.

Can't I?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Ayn Rand is funny because if you know anything about Marxism you can very clearly see that she was straight-up, consciously, doing a find-replace on existing communist philosophy in an attempt to really stick it to 'em. "A=A" and "contradictions to not exist" are both attempts to refute dialectical materialism, which of course holds that there are no static ideals but only processes of constant transformation, and that all such processes of transformation are driven by the resolution of internal and external contradictions.

Rand holds that we live in a completely material universe that can be empirically studied by the senses and which operates according to discoverable physical laws, that human labor and invention are the source of value, and that the human population is divided into those who generate value by doing gainful work and those who parasitically appropriate that value using trickery and coercion. There's just the small issue of which side of that divide you and your boss each happen to fall on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Its fair to judge, its more I don't think its worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater, that's why I said this is reductionist, there's lots of reviews and other such things I've read in my time where I can point to some obvious errors and statements I wouldn't agree with, but which nonetheless make some points and observations I like and think were insightful.

Not an unfair point, I absolutely admit that turning off the video when I did -- based on my judgement of where I believed it was going -- could rob me of potential insight.

But then when I see another poster who did watch the video make this statement:

2house2fly posted:

Anyway, shortly after that bit where he lies, he claims that Dawn Of The Dead promotes a fundamentalist Christian worldview where the apocalypse is caused by homosexuality and abortion. I hate zombie stuff so I only ever saw that film when it came out (as a double feature with Shaun Of The Dead) and my memories of it are so dim that I am not 100% confident when I say that is ridiculous, the film does not promote that worldview at all.

I'm pretty sure that I made the right call.

The idea that Snyder's Dawn of the Dead blamed homosexuality and abortion for zombies (because it features a cartoonish fundamentalist preacher saying those things) was famously argued by Maggie Mae Fish, who is the featured comment on this video (and seemingly promoted by the author, I don't know how that works tho lol). Needless to say it's another pretty flimsy argument IMO.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

2house2fly posted:

...he claims that Dawn Of The Dead promotes a fundamentalist Christian worldview where the apocalypse is caused by homosexuality and abortion.

Oh, yeah! It does claim that.

Because Objectivism and fundamentalist Christianity definitely intersect. The Randian sense that Will and Ego are humanity's greatest strength meshes nicely with a belief system where rich people only became so because God rewarded them for their piety.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

khwarezm posted:

Frankly, I think that's apples and oranges because I can see Mishima's value as a writer even if you somehow manage to disentangle his political stances from his talent and Ayn Rand in comparison has little to offer when it comes to her actual craft. I think you really need a pretty deep interest in her ideology for her works to be worthwhile to consume, even if its just to debunk.

And maybe that's what Snyder intends to do but I really have not seen anything concrete to suggest that he's going to make a movie to pull apart her world view when it comes to his comments on her and her work.

The ability to adapt something without endorsing it can't depend on the quality of the work and it can't depend on the quality of the artist - it's either a universal possibility or it isn't.

What you can look at is Snyder's actions, which certainly haven't followed the objectist creed; while he flirts with the idea, he didn't attempt to burn down Justice League when it was taken off him and he was still taking studio notes when they gave it back to him. If he's an objectivist he's an extremely compromised one!

Roth posted:

Ayn Rand has done more for leftism than any boring YouTuber

:hmmyes:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Absolutely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roth posted: