Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do you only obsess about your sexuality if you have high physical instrument (or was it half-light)? Because except being able to attempt the Composure check on the smoker on the balcony I can't really remember it coming up at all in my first run where I had terrible phyisque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Randarkman posted:

Do you only obsess about your sexuality if you have high physical instrument (or was it half-light)? Because except being able to attempt the Composure check on the smoker on the balcony I can't really remember it coming up at all in my first run where I had terrible phyisque.

If you have the thought you can bug Kim about it and he tries to brush it off. Before the thought, this is your lot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EorayMel posted:

If you have the thought you can bug Kim about it and he tries to brush it off. Before the thought, this is your lot:

Yeah, but the thing is I only really remember encountering this on my second run (read: the one I complete a couple of days back), where I started out with 4 physique, in contrast with my first run which was something like 4/4/2/2 IIRC. If anything, from that run, I remember Conceptualization, without physical instrument to pipe in, is very much open to the idea when you see the poster of the androgynous haircut and stuff like that.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't encounter the smoker until pretty late on my first playthrough, so I'm looking forward to having my boozed-up fascist brawler Harry struggle with his deeply repressed homosexuality

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, but the thing is I only really remember encountering this on my second run (read: the one I complete a couple of days back), where I started out with 4 physique, in contrast with my first run which was something like 4/4/2/2 IIRC. If anything, from that run, I remember Conceptualization, without physical instrument to pipe in, is very much open to the idea when you see the poster of the androgynous haircut and stuff like that.

Conceptualization is kinda incompatible with Physical Instrument like that, though, the whole sissy/dweeb thing when you could be playing ball games :v:

Also since I apparently got locked out of finding my gun, I am almost certainly going to do another high physical run and beeline to it solely to hear this narrated:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I started out a new run, though I'm not sure that I want to stick with it. Possibly put some more thought into the build I'm going with and what ideology/vision quest I'n going to be going for.

The one just I did was ultraliberal with a 1/4/5/2 +Conceptualization, Superstar Cop + Art Cop, where I ended the game with very high Shivers (I really love Shivers, though maybe I mgiht have to try to let that one go to get a different experience, but it's a hard one, I really love it).

The new one I started is 3/2/2/5 +Empathy, thinking of possibly going Boring Cop or Sorry Cop and Moralist, but I'm not so sure about this one, hence why I'm laying out my thoughts in post form.

end game spoiler Harry being a former gym teacher also kind of gave me the idea of doing a run with Physical Instrument as signature skill and maybe something like a 4/2/3/3 or along those lines. Fascist and/or Communist. I dunno.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I started out a new run, though I'm not sure that I want to stick with it. Possibly put some more thought into the build I'm going with and what ideology/vision quest I'n going to be going for.

The one just I did was ultraliberal with a 1/4/5/2 +Conceptualization, Superstar Cop + Art Cop, where I ended the game with very high Shivers (I really love Shivers, though maybe I mgiht have to try to let that one go to get a different experience, but it's a hard one, I really love it).

The new one I started is 3/2/2/5 +Empathy, thinking of possibly going Boring Cop or Sorry Cop and Moralist, but I'm not so sure about this one, hence why I'm laying out my thoughts in post form.

end game spoiler Harry being a former gym teacher also kind of gave me the idea of doing a run with Physical Instrument as signature skill and maybe something like a 4/2/3/3 or along those lines. Fascist and/or Communist. I dunno.

I usually recommend inverting the stats on the 2nd playthrough, so in your case 5 2 1 4, and just pick whatever grab bag of ideologies and whatnot pops up for you or that you didnt run with before. Physical instrument is a fun one to hear from a lot

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Edit : Nope just found out I was wrong about something to do with passive check difficulties while playing.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 7, 2021

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
The autosave has killed my entire block of saves twice now on PS4. A Reddit user claimed that it's due to high amount of saves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game has a lot of potential replayability, except I'm the type of person who just can't purposefully be mean to the video game characters, such pangs of regret and guilt from stealing or being a jerk.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Got to the end of Final Cut after finding a way to force the help Soona with her research quest to avoid softlocking. I'm really satisfied. Having these lines voiced really added to my interpretation and understanding of them when I have a tendency to skim written game dialogue a bit to get that sweet serotonin hit from XP pings. It really serves this game well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The game has a lot of potential replayability, except I'm the type of person who just can't purposefully be mean to the video game characters, such pangs of regret and guilt from stealing or being a jerk.

:same:

unless that sandwich i've heard mention of is, like, a really good sandwich

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 7, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Clearly you need to run a high authority run where you can insist that everyone respect said authority.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

If you don't do high physical runs (or at least high Half Light runs) you are a DWEEB

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gimme that GOD drat sandwich old man

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I got super lucky on the check and got the sandwich and ate it right in front of him, which sadly doesn't seem to make any difference in the dialogue if you talk to him about it afterwards.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Got to the end of Final Cut after finding a way to force the help Soona with her research quest to avoid softlocking. I'm really satisfied. Having these lines voiced really added to my interpretation and understanding of them when I have a tendency to skim written game dialogue a bit to get that sweet serotonin hit from XP pings. It really serves this game well.

How'd you do it? I can't get past that part either, softlocks every time

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hirsute posted:

I paused every in-progress Thought Cabinet action I had going, helped with that softlock and the one where everyone leaves the tent.

Gotta say though, the church research tone softlock is strikingly fitting for its event.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hirsute posted:

Savescum, skip through the next quickly - somehow that did it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it really is a richer experience to have voice acting in the bit where Authority tells you to stick your thumb up your rear end

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My experience with this game was to mess around talking to a bunch of people, then talking to a mailbox which gave me a game over due to existential angst. Which was awesome. Then I found out that the last time it had autosaved was an hour or so back. Which was decidedly not awesome. And then I went and played other games and never came back to it. So is the new version any better about frequently saving your progress?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
get in that f5 mindset bratan

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I don't think autosave frequency hasn't changed. The game gives you several seconds to use a healing item and avoid a game over when you lose your last bit of health. Click on the appropriate healing item when the health bar is flashing and the heartbeat sound is playing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

get in that f5 mindset bratan

A life of playing bethesda RPGS has installed in me the urge to quicksave every 10 feet in preparation for the eventual crash.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ve tried to build a Pavlovian response so that every time an objective updates in a game I reflexively quicksave

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A life of playing bethesda RPGS has installed in me the urge to quicksave every 10 feet in preparation for the eventual crash.

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at as well, and Cyberpunk ingrained the impulse even deeper.

That being said, I was pretty pissed when I died turning on the light in my room, mostly because I had actually passed a 3% check to remove The Expression moments earlier, a check that I failed in my next attempt and every attempt thereafter.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So glad this is finally out. I got almost to the end on the version I played on Mac but never quite finished it. Such a good game.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discuss.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I can’t get past Titus because my authority is low and cannot be skilled up further for retries. And there are no other dialogue options with him to get past that and talk to the woman upstairs. Do I have to restart the whole run? I’m on day 4 already with most of the early quests done... :( I also cannot interact with the window yet because it has a -12 modifier on it for whatever reason.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

I can’t get past Titus because my authority is low and cannot be skilled up further for retries. And there are no other dialogue options with him to get past that and talk to the woman upstairs. Do I have to restart the whole run? I’m on day 4 already with most of the early quests done... :( I also cannot interact with the window yet because it has a -12 modifier on it for whatever reason.

Try failing a couple more times, there's multiple different ways to reopen that skill check other than just putting points into Authority IIRC. You should get an option to have Kim step in if you fail it multiple times, similar goes for the later Rethoric test to get him to give up Ruby, though that's not Kim stepping in

Also, have you tried taking drugs to increase your authority learning cap?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So to perma raise skill caps, I need to use a drug them spend a point in it? Kinda unsure since Ive yet to use any but they seem sorta rare

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The second I talked to Cuno my heart loving broke. I can't believe they got rid of the Dot Major audio. It's my favorite voice acting of all time and easily my favorite part of the game besides all the rest of it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

new cuno doesnt have the same magic as the old performance, but hes still very good and getting fully voiced cunoesse is a decent tradeoff

the biggest downgrade imo is titus, his vibe is completely different and very exaggerated (which is probably on purpose but i still dont like it)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

DreadCthulhu posted:

There should be some clothes with +Authority and the Ledger of Oblivion has +Authority then take some drugs and it should be possible?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

*in Titus voice* Titus talks real slow

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Randarkman posted:

Try failing a couple more times, there's multiple different ways to reopen that skill check other than just putting points into Authority IIRC. You should get an option to have Kim step in if you fail it multiple times, similar goes for the later Rethoric test to get him to give up Ruby, though that's not Kim stepping in

Also, have you tried taking drugs to increase your authority learning cap?

I've definitely failed that authority test more than 3 times, and he's still not stepping in. I think I hosed up and perhaps got myself into some kind of a buggy condition by first talking to the Hardie crew while Kim was asleep, and him missing out the entirety of the first interaction. The drugs really did help actually, and I was able to get another shot at that check at 76% but failed it again, so now I'm stuck again. I don't think I can double-take drugs to give myself a +2 instead of just a +1 on that row of skills, can I?

It's nuts because I've definitely re-run through all of the conversation trees with Titus again and again and I bombed pretty much all of those paths.

Any other avenues I could explore to get past that? The window check is out of question from what I can tell, and I haven't figured out a way to open the blue door or the door upstairs so far.

Unrelated: is there any other way to get past the big tattooed racist skinhead dude besides absorbing his racist theory, if you don't happen to be super strong and can't punch him out?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

So, main ways I can think of to get retries here. :

- Ask Evrart Claire to help. (yes, you will probably have to open a door for him.)
- Speak to the smoking man's Sunday Friend
- Solve the jam mystery for Joyce
- If the body is still around finishing the autopsy might find something. I forget.
- Examine the footprints by where the victim was hanged.

So if you've done all of those then maybe you are in a bit of a hole. As mentioned, drugs increase your learning cap so if you've some pyro (or speed if you have the right thought) you can try that but save first. There's a couple of other ways to unlock the check but they are pretty awkward, like getting cop dice, or some thoughts from side quests across the river.

And yes. A -12 modifier. For the reason 'It is not time yet' as it says.

EDIT : You thought you were in a corner... and you didn't save before you took the test one more time?

You don't need to be that strong to punch Measurehead, especially on the second try. Or you can make a Savoir Faire check to jump across a gap and get your coat if you find a door in the garden.
Or just learn Race Theory, realise it's bunk and spend a skill point to forget it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tylana posted:

You don't need to be that strong to punch Measurehead, especially on the second try. Or you can make a Savoir Faire check to jump across a gap and get your coat if you find a door in the garden.
Or just learn Race Theory, realise it's bunk and spend a skill point to forget it.

I tried punching measure head with a 3%, failed, then my brain said 'he'll never expect you to try it again right away' and I succeeded with 5%. Games hilarious

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DreadCthulhu posted:

Unrelated: is there any other way to get past the big tattooed racist skinhead dude besides absorbing his racist theory, if you don't happen to be super strong and can't punch him out?

Yup.
Succeed a Perception check to find the secret door to Cuno's shed in the hanged man yard (if you fail at first, you can talk to him about it for a retry with a bonus without having to spend a point in Perception), then make the Savoir-Faire jump from the roof of the shed to the raincoat. Be advised however that if and when you do that, the only way back *out* of the harbour is by talking to Evrart which is likely to damage you quite a bit, so if you're running a low PSY/PHY build you should probably stock up on healing poo poo at Frittte before you do it.

It's also possible Evrart leaves his office late in the day which would softlock you (don't know for sure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Yup.
Succeed a Perception check to find the secret door to Cuno's shed in the hanged man yard (if you fail at first, you can talk to him about it for a retry with a bonus without having to spend a point in Perception), then make the Savoir-Faire jump from the roof of the shed to the raincoat. Be advised however that if and when you do that, the only way back *out* of the harbour is by talking to Evrart which is likely to damage you quite a bit, so if you're running a low PSY/PHY build you should probably stock up on healing poo poo at Frittte before you do it.

It's also possible Evrart leaves his office late in the day which would softlock you (don't know for sure)

For the last one: no, Evrart is physically incapable of leaving his office: he brings this one up at some point.