Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
lol so they want to do a lovely NXT Latin America, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DeepDickPizza posted:

They want to do a lovely NXT in the mold of NXT UK in every market. lovely NXT Japan, lovely NXT Mexico, lovely NXT India

A lovely NXT UK in every region.

MJeff posted:

And I'm sure Seth knows the difference, so he's just being a disingenuous little prick, here.
I mean, not to defend Seth, but you just know that office is full of snitches who bring everything to Vince. All these interviews stink of people terrified by snitches and back biting and other horrible corporate culture.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

DeepDickPizza posted:

Yes friend, they want to kill the indies and all competition and create wrestling in their image. Yes.

And not being cynical, they just think they know what’s best and can provide the lifestyle they want to talent and create and continue their empire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't wait for WALTER v Ciampa :allears:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Haven't they been about to break into the latin american market for like 20 goddamn years?

No.

They succeeded at one point when they pushed Rey Mysterio (and Eddie Guerrero?) a lot, but other than that, yes.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I started to post something along the lines of "did they really make a hall of fame joke out of the guy who publicly and repeatedly molested people not apologizing for anything" because I didn't actually watch it, but inside I know the answer and I got so, so very tired halfway through typing it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They made a Jerry Lawler joke?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

It looks like they're betting on damien priest to be the latin American face of the organization, does all the same poo poo everyone else does but he speaks Spanish with bad bunny

Edit: I guess also dominik to do the luchador moves lmao

It would be very WWE to start NXT Mexico by pushing two Puerto Ricans.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Not that this is anything, but NXT Takeover is already trending in the US. Probably gonna get a poo poo load of viewers tonight. The media rampage is real too to promote it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ICR posted:

Not that this is anything, but NXT Takeover is already trending in the US. Probably gonna get a poo poo load of viewers tonight. The media rampage is real too to promote it.

They really want to end Wednesday night with a big total viewer win over AEW.

Then again, Tony Khan called in Mike Tyson to even the odds

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Isnt WWE also putting Takeover on Peacock at the same time as the USA airing, but with no commercials? That’s going to eat into their TV ratings regardless of how much interest there is

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dango Bango posted:

It would be very WWE to start NXT Mexico by pushing two Puerto Ricans.

I think they are more interested in getting into the latin market in general. Which is why we'll see Bad Bunny and Damien Priest win at Wrestlemania, Raquel winning tonight (even if she is one of the worst possible choices to feature as someone you want as a face of a marketing push considering her comments on Mexico), and likely Santos winning tomorrow night.

Please ignore Angel Garza sitting in catering or the fact that they just released Andrade a little while ago.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kunabomber posted:

I've been listening to old Art of Wrestling podcasts and Colt Cabana had Kofi Kingston on in 2012, and apparently the locker room was pretty drat friendly back then when all the NXT people came up. I wonder if the locker room isn't as toxic as I would make it out to be based on the product being presented to us right now.

I still think it went weirdly under the radar that Sasha told Steve Austin in her interview that she got bullied. Sasha came up in like 2015.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe the female locker room is a different story. Not hard to imagine considering how little chances they get compared to the men.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Isnt WWE also putting Takeover on Peacock at the same time as the USA airing, but with no commercials?

Correct

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't wait for WALTER v Ciampa :allears:
I’ll be surprised if it isn’t one of the best matches of 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

DLC Inc posted:

LOL @ making a lucha libre expansion when they explicitly wasted some of the best Mexican talent they've ever had in the last few years

It'll be like NXT UK, only with Psycho Clown holding up a five year old text from HHH as CMLL and AAA get gutted dry.

(I don't know who books AAA, but you get what I am trying to say).

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Forceholy posted:

It'll be like NXT UK, only with Psycho Clown holding up a five year old text from HHH as CMLL and AAA get gutted dry.

(I don't know who books AAA, but you get what I am trying to say).

The difference is going to be that there actually is a financially viable wrestling scene in Mexico in a way that there isn't in any sense in the UK. It's the reason it didn't work in Japan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can confirm that you can VPN into Australia and sign up for the old version of the Network with the archives, pause, rewind, all that poo poo.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE announced Raquel vs Io will be commercial free tonight on USA.

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1379864048087482370

Also not really shocking but Io mentioned how she wants to hold the title for at least 365 days. Shame that's not going to happen.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cedric still going off

https://twitter.com/CedricAlexander/status/1379837846035558407?s=20

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol after getting buried 2 years ago, and now this, he gives no fucks anymore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MJeff posted:

I'm sure he's telling the truth about this, it was the same thing with Cena. At a house show, they just, like. Do matches. And do fun things. And generally just try to please the crowd because that crowd is all they care about. I'm sure anybody who's been to a WWE house show will agree with me when I say, it's a loving blast.

But on TV, they have to get their godawful stories over, and, :lol:

And I'm sure Seth knows the difference, so he's just being a disingenuous little prick, here.

I just think in general, especially when talking PPV, the fans in the expensive seats closest to the hot mics aren't necessarily the most representative of the general audience, and the ratings and merch sales tend to bear this out. And the bigger the building the more profound the disconnect, it's always fascinating to read about how some sections treat matches at Wrestlemania completely different than other sections.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm gonna be real: I have no idea who the gently caress Raquel Gonzalez is

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

the NXT Women's champ as of Thursday

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

She's Dakota Kai's Diesel.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kunabomber posted:

lol after getting buried 2 years ago, and now this, he gives no fucks anymore

Remember when he started getting buried two years ago and Bryan and Dave pointed it out immediately but then the Vincels insisted Cedric was actually being primed for a big push but he never was? Good times then, now and forever.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

please sign cedric

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DLC Inc posted:

A fairly large woman (she's pretty shredded), and she's a second generation wrestler, following in the footsteps of Ricky Gonzalez. She's okay in the ring (compared to other PC talents, but she's no Rhea or Bianca either), but a lot of her matches end up with her tossing other women around. She's a pretty below average seller, and as such most of her matches are structured to where she gets the lions share of the offense. Basically while people are hyped up for her, I would not be shocked if she ends up lining up closer to Shayna in terms of match and feud quality than a lot of the previous NXT Women's Champions.

Which is a bad thing, since a lot of Shayna's matches were positioned as cooldown matches and almost never main evented shows or brought eyes to the product. People tried to claim the same thing about Io, but she was one of the few NXT stars who actually brought in viewers, according to Wrestlenomics. Plus anyone who worked with Io ended up coming out of it better for the most part (the only person I wouldn't say was helped by it was Toni). I struggle to believe that anyone will benefit from the style of matches Raquel currently works.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 7, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
For what it's worth, I liked Shayna as champion, I just didn't think she needed a second reign and the second one went on for too long. But that's not her fault as a talent. That's NXT's phobia of top babyfaces.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

SonicRulez posted:

For what it's worth, I liked Shayna as champion, I just didn't think she needed a second reign and the second one went on for too long. But that's not her fault as a talent. That's NXT's phobia of top babyfaces.

The problem with Shayna's reigns is that the matches were all structured in a similar format on top of her second reign being a complete disaster and going on for way too long. It's not hard to imagine Raquel will be going the same route. Her matches are already way too generic (even by WWE standards), and her reign will probably last awhile, despite it being an incredibly bad idea due to how inflexible Raquel is from a match layout perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect Raquel to win tonight and will be (pleasantly) surprised if Io retains. I just know that the NXT women's division's quality is gonna drop fairly significantly once Io moves up. That's glossing over the fact that Io's ceiling on the main roster will very likely just be Asuka's tag partner, so its an entirely unnecessary callup. And if Kross wins the title tomorrow night, NXT moving to Tuesdays is going to start off on the wrong foot, because WWE will have to do a LOT in order to get people to actually bother tuning in during the Kross/Raquel era of the show, since both have the same problem of being generic big wrestlers, and they'll have no real marketing technique to fall back on either. Because as it stands, NXT is the one show where "workrate" is prioritized over size (and while the stories told are still stupid for the most part, they also aren't actively insulting your intelligence unlike RAW and SD), and the one unique aspect of WWE TV as a whole right now.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 7, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Kross/Raquel as champions would be the funniest corporate culture poo poo ever.

Drake Wuertz would be thrilled.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

ICR posted:

Kross/Raquel as champions would be the funniest corporate culture poo poo ever.

Drake Wuertz would be thrilled.

Kross can signal boost his COVID and QAnon conspiracy theories, while Raquel screams at immigrants to take their taco trucks and go back to Mexico (while continuing to flaunt covid restrictions). And both can talk about how we need a wall on the southern border to keep those dang (imaginary) busses full of immigrants out of the country.

WWE also released the video package for the match tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pprBOvLYjMg

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Kross can signal boost his COVID conspiracy theories, while Raquel screams at immigrants to take their taco trucks and go back to Mexico (while continuing to flaunt covid restrictions). And both can talk about how we need a wall on the southern border to keep those dang (imaginary) busses full of immigrants out of the country.

Hell yeah!!!

Raquel has some great presence that’s for sure. She isn’t championship ready yet to lead the brand for the women’s division in my opinion. But she does have strong presence and a powerful look. Honestly, her presence itself is past NXT and main roster ready. It’s just the rest of her that still needs some time in the oven.

Kross is an absolutely horrible, horrible, horrible human being along with Scarlett who is literally batshit crazy and I would rather see Finn retain based on talent and kindness alone.

Kross winning would be the worst decision to empower the toxicity, and to reward somebody who is bottom 15% in actual wrestling talent on the NXT roster. Like, there’s that many wrestlers there who are more competent in the ring than him.

Used to love the guy for potential but well, he got exposed and other lovely things came to light.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still don't get why they brought Storm over from UK only to turn her heel and then feed her to Io.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

ICR posted:

Hell yeah!!!

Raquel has some great presence that’s for sure. She isn’t championship ready yet to lead the brand for the women’s division in my opinion. But she does have strong presence and a powerful look. Honestly, her presence itself is past NXT and main roster ready. It’s just the rest of her that still needs some time in the oven.

Kross is an absolutely horrible, horrible, horrible human being along with Scarlett who is literally batshit crazy and I would rather see Finn retain based on talent and kindness alone.

Kross winning would be the worst decision to empower the toxicity, and to reward somebody who is bottom 15% in actual wrestling talent on the NXT roster. Like, there’s that many wrestlers there who are more competent in the ring than him.

Used to love the guy for potential but well, he got exposed and other lovely things came to light.

I don't even think Raquel has much presence in the division outside of being stronger than most women. That's it. It doesn't offset her horrendous political (and religious) views, which as far as I know are still a bit tamer than Kross but that's an incredibly low bar to clear. She's more of a main roster talent than NXT talent when it comes to booking.

As for Kross, yeah he's an absolutely lovely human being and shouldn't even be employed but at this point, it's pretty clear NXT doesn't care about a performers background unless its incredibly bad or it causes them SIGNIFICANT problems.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Remember when he started getting buried two years ago and Bryan and Dave pointed it out immediately but then the Vincels insisted Cedric was actually being primed for a big push but he never was? Good times then, now and forever.

Ahahaha shiiiit. And he's seeing his wife having the time of her life every week

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I haven't watched NXT in years and don't plan to start, but man... I remember when one night of Takeover followed by one night of Wrestlemania felt like too much. What level of madness and hatred is this?!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mania being split across two nights is way way better tbh. NXT... not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I hope Raquel is good cause I want a monster heel hoss that isn't Nia Jax or Tamina.