Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PawParole posted:

Never understood how his books fit together. Literally every series of different descriptions of the same place ( in one series the mesoge is soggy and bleak, then it’s a tropical paradise), and I’ve never understood which city the City is from the other books. It can’t be Mezentinia, or Perimedia or Ap Escatoy or whatever.

Still, a wonderful writer and I’ll be reading his book when it comes out.

Yeah I've heard people refer to his system as fantasy legos. He reuses the same places, same religion (Invincible Sun) and similar Greek/Byzantine names but without them actually all being a part of the same fantasy world. In some stories the Studium is a guild of wizards, in others its just a type of University. What's referred to as the City changes based on the book and what characters think of as The City.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Worldcon (in DC this year) just announced that they're moving from August to December 15-19. The hotel they had for August filed for bankruptcy, so they were faced with either doing a more or less entirely virtual convention in August, finding a new site for a probably still-restricted convention, or delaying some months to have an in-person convention that would probably need fewer restrictions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kurona_bright posted:

What's wrong with The Sharing Knife?

Nothing really. It's a slow-paced romance left to develop organically in a reasonably interesting world. I only read the first two, but Mom liked the series. You might too.

And it was definitely better than The Spirit Ring.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Twas the week before Christmas and all through the con
The grudges and callouts were beginning to spawn

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I'm reading the last book in the Milkweed trilogy and for some reason the author is constantly reminding me of major plot points that happened in the first two books in the most hamfisted way that I might not even finish.

Such a shame. I really enjoyed the first two but this is very unnecessary and annoying. It's not even well done. A character will suddenly think something like

"And he was then reminded of the special mission, in which they had done the thing to achieve another thing and set in motion that other thing whilst in that place and with those people, but now he had to banish those thoughts and get on with this thing instead."

GAH.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I can't imagine why a book about time travel and destiny manipulation would need to remind you of details in the first book that you read four years ago.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Two of Swords: Volume Two by KJ Parker - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5685GX/

Bloody Rose (The Band #2) by Nicholas Eames - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M6KW1X/

The Tower of Fools (Hussite #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ22J48/

Return to Honor (Powder Mage) by Brian McClellan - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q38OFB8/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

The Tower of Fools (Hussite #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ22J48/

Anyone read this and what did you think? I haven't read any Witcher but I wasn't a fan of the tv show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've been working my way through The Priory of the Orange Tree for the last week. It really grabbed me at the start but as the book goes on it gets harder not to see the scars of YA writing over it (a hyper competent protagonist whose only flaw is that society can't appreciate how awesome she is, absolutely breakneck pacing that doesn't allow any event to settle or a mood to build). It's really disappointing as the first half of slow burn court intrigue was great and then that all just blows away for a manic swashbuckling jaunt across a continent with events bring resolved almost as soon as they're presented and cosmically unlikely coincidences to keep a smooth flow of plot progression at all times. Coming off the back off of rereading Robin Hobb's Assassin and Liveship trilogies it really makes you appreciate writer who can make an entire chapter about walking through some countryside or hanging out in a room interesting

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just read Snow Crash. It was OK, I guess. Like The Diamond Age, it had a lot of interesting ideas and enjoyable scenes, but I don't think they really cohered together very well. It's all over the place tonally; sometimes it seems to be a parody of cyberpunk (especially near the beginning), sometimes it's trying to have serious Big Sci-Fi Ideas, and sometimes it's just a thriller.

Maybe the oddest thing about the book is how implausibly early it's set. It was published in 1992, but it's set in the 00s (the main character is in his late twenties and was born in the 70s). Somehow in a bit over a decade, not only has the US government mostly collapsed, but people seem to have made a nearly complete mental adjustment to the resulting ancap dystopia. To be fair, 1992 was only a year after the USSR collapsed; maybe the idea that the US and other countries would soon follow seemed plausible then. Plus the ancap dystopia feels more satirical in the early chapters, and only starts being presented as serious worldbuilding later on. It's still strange, though, because we retrospectively tend to accuse Americans in the 90s of being overly optimistic about the future; after all, The End of History and the Last Man was also published in 1992. So maybe it's really just leftover 80s pessimism copied from other cyberpunk.

Another setting element that's interesting to compare to what actually happened is the Metaverse. What's fascinating about it is how many people who had read a lot of cyberpunk apparently tried very hard to make it a thing in real life (remember Second Life?), but they could never really make it a thing. Though by the time of The Diamond Age, the Metaverse doesn't really seem to be a thing in Stephenson's world either; apparently people lost interest in it, just as even journalists eventually lost interest in Second Life. (Though a quick Google search assures me that Second Life is somehow technically still active! Huh.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Another odd thing about Snow Crash is YT being 15. Just a choice that has aged (or not aged??) real poorly.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

multijoe posted:

I've been working my way through The Priory of the Orange Tree for the last week. It really grabbed me at the start but as the book goes on it gets harder not to see the scars of YA writing over it (a hyper competent protagonist whose only flaw is that society can't appreciate how awesome she is, absolutely breakneck pacing that doesn't allow any event to settle or a mood to build). It's really disappointing as the first half of slow burn court intrigue was great and then that all just blows away for a manic swashbuckling jaunt across a continent with events bring resolved almost as soon as they're presented and cosmically unlikely coincidences to keep a smooth flow of plot progression at all times. Coming off the back off of rereading Robin Hobb's Assassin and Liveship trilogies it really makes you appreciate writer who can make an entire chapter about walking through some countryside or hanging out in a room interesting

I'm usually quick to pick up on that YA feel but didn't get that here (although your description is not wrong). Last time it came up I said

buffalo all day posted:

It's bad. The author is trying to capital-W write, so it's not bad the way Kindle Unlimited self-published stuff is bad, it's just long and boring in a way that a story about good dragons vs evil dragons, magic swords and immortal witches really shouldn't be boring.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Another odd thing about Snow Crash is YT being 15. Just a choice that has aged (or not aged??) real poorly.

Maybe it’s all some kind of commentary on the hypersexualization of “young women” and claiming agency over your own sexuality even in coercive power structures, I dunno, I dunno, maybe I’m just having a moral panic, it just skeeves me out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whenever authors write underage characters in those kind of situations I assume the author just kind of forgot how old they are. Although that’s probably because the only book I’ve read like that was The Wise Mans Fear and I’m positive that the author cribbed those sections from drafts where the protagonist was older.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

This sort of thing just seems very common in books before the last decade or two. GRRM has Daenerys 13 in AGoT; Ce'Nedra was apparently 15 at the beginning of the Belgariad; the Garrett Files (I'm rereading) has Garrett actively skeeving on 18 year olds when he's 30ish but also noticing in an academic way those a bit younger; in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Simeon starts the series at 14, putting Miriamele at 13 or 14 (and later seduced/coerced by a several or many years older noble); and I feel like there have to be plenty of other examples in things that were reasonably popular in the 80s and 90s.

And then there's Piers Anthony.

General Battuta posted:

Maybe it’s all some kind of commentary on the hypersexualization of “young women” and claiming agency over your own sexuality even in coercive power structures, I dunno, I dunno, maybe I’m just having a moral panic, it just skeeves me out.

Moving from fantasy/science fiction to reality, the regrettably recently back in the news "cash me ousside" girl was 14 when she first achieved notoriety.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 7, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In a turn to underage characters not written creepily, I just finished Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko and I’m extremely mad that this is the third series I’ve picked up recently that is extremely good but doesn’t have its follow up out yet.

It’s real good y’all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

This sort of thing just seems very common in books before the last decade or two. GRRM has Daenerys 13 in AGoT; Ce'Nedra was apparently 15 at the beginning of the Belgariad; the Garrett Files (I'm rereading) has Garrett actively skeeving on 18 year olds when he's 30ish but also noticing in an academic way those a bit younger; in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Simeon starts the series at 14, putting Miriamele at 13 or 14 (and later seduced/coerced by a several or many years older noble); and I feel like there have to be plenty of other examples in things that were reasonably popular in the 80s and 90s.

And then there's Piers Anthony.

Moving from fantasy/science fiction to reality, the regrettably recently back in the news "cash me ousside" girl was 14 when she first achieved notoriety.

Yeah pretty much all western culture is super skeevy about sexualizing girls but fantasy in particular is kind of on it's own level.

It's one of those "technically somewhat historical" things that just happens to make it with no commentary or condemnation. Over and over.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah pretty much all western culture is super skeevy about sexualizing girls but fantasy in particular is kind of on it's own level.

It's one of those "technically somewhat historical" things that just happens to make it with no commentary or condemnation. Over and over.

Well it’s not just girls, Foucault was pushing abolishment of age of consent to cover the sort of thing he had to go do in North Africa with the locals, the modern motivation of Said’s Orientalism.

As far as non-Western cultures I don’t think Chinese concubinage or modern rural Arab/Afghan adolescent brides (Aisha has much to answer for) count as nonsexualized behavior except under a pretty weird definition.

It’s one of those absolutely historical and current things, like interpersonal violence, that have only recently and imperfectly been pushed back by WEIRD culture.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

Whenever authors write underage characters in those kind of situations I assume the author just kind of forgot how old they are. Although that’s probably because the only book I’ve read like that was The Wise Mans Fear and I’m positive that the author cribbed those sections from drafts where the protagonist was older.

Just lol if you're giving Patrick Rothfuss the benefit of the doubt. Or GRRM.

They absolutely know.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just lol if you're giving Patrick Rothfuss the benefit of the doubt. Or GRRM.

They absolutely know.

Wasn't GRRM famous for being a bit touchy at signings and married a fan substantially younger than him?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah I've heard people refer to his system as fantasy legos. He reuses the same places, same religion (Invincible Sun) and similar Greek/Byzantine names but without them actually all being a part of the same fantasy world. In some stories the Studium is a guild of wizards, in others its just a type of University. What's referred to as the City changes based on the book and what characters think of as The City.

i think it's because his novels and series can be separated by a thousand years so it's conceivable that the studium could become a university in that kind of timeframe or even that it's not the same studium that was mentioned before but something new which kept the name
same goes for "the city", there's always "a city", like today it's "new york" or at least that's the city I think about as "the city" (and i'm not even american)
it used to be london, before that maybe paris, before that rome or constantinople etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ccs posted:

Do not give anyone the benefit of the doubt on this, gently caress anything that sexualizes underage characters. (Hi I'm having a moral panic because what the gently caress)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Peter F. Hamilton's Salvation series

The first one was really good, interweaving stories. The last two were pretty good but a lot more focused on the stuff that wasn't the best part of book 1.

Overall I'd recommend at least the first book, and all 3 depending on how you felt about the future-set stories in the first one.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Nothing really. It's a slow-paced romance left to develop organically in a reasonably interesting world. I only read the first two, but Mom liked the series. You might too.

And it was definitely better than The Spirit Ring.

Is this aimed at a general 'you'? My original post said I already read the series :confused:

Also, I think the third book is probably my favorite out of the series, and imo a definite improvement over the second, which I found very slow. I think I'm blaming that on the central romance being pleasant but not exactly interesting. Like, I think the main obstacle about their relationship is just everybody else trying to force them apart -- entirely external. Did they ever have a big argument about anything in the series?

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do not give anyone the benefit of the doubt on this, gently caress anything that sexualizes underage characters.

So 13 and below, if we assume that Italy and Germany aren’t basket cases who can be disregarded.

And 12 and below at the time many of the books in the US were written, if we can consider the laws of a dozen or so states dispositive. We really have had a moral panic, I’m amazed that everyone has moved to 16+ in the last 20 years in the US. I blame the old Olsen twins tracker.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

So 13 and below, if we assume that Italy and Germany aren’t basket cases who can be disregarded.

And 12 and below at the time many of the books in the US were written, if we can consider the laws of a dozen or so states dispositive. We really have had a moral panic, I’m amazed that everyone has moved to 16+ in the last 20 years in the US. I blame the old Olsen twins tracker.

Um, what exactly are you trying to say here?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I feel like we're being slow walked into a libertarian discussion.

Or maybe fast-walked.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

I’m trying to figure out what “underage” means. Young, ignorant, and generally physically and psychologically repulsive goons probably don’t have a good grasp of normal human sexuality today, in the recent past, and in both their own and similar cultures.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I’m trying to figure out what “underage” means.

No you aren't.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

No you aren't.

Of course I am. Whether any of these literary examples actually are underage is an uncertain question depending on time, place, and culture.

Are the Hadiths guilty of sexualizing young girls? Very much so if these books are, so we perhaps shouldn’t rush to judgment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Of course I am. Whether any of these literary examples actually are underage is an uncertain question depending on time, place, and culture.

Are the Hadiths guilty of sexualizing young girls? Very much so if these books are, so we perhaps shouldn’t rush to judgment.

Why the gently caress would you bring religious texts into things? We're talking about how fantasy books have a tendency to be loving creepy about very young girls.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

Why the gently caress would you bring religious texts into things? We're talking about how fantasy books have a tendency to be loving creepy about very young girls.

There’s at least one well known Muslim fantasy author. If he puts in an homage to Mohammed and Aisha is he being “loving creepy”? Isn’t judging that sort of age difference as a bright line judgment inherently anti-Muslim bigotry or at least shockingly provincial and an example of intellectual colonialism? I expected better of this community.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There’s at least one well known Muslim fantasy author. If he puts in an homage to Mohammahed and Aisha is he being “loving creepy”? Isn’t judging that sort of age difference as a bright line judgment inherently anti-Muslim bigotry? I expected better of this community.

gently caress you.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm sorry I mentioned Snow Crash; I didn't mean to open this :can:.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

gently caress you.

I assure, I’m old enough to satisfy the conscience of everyone here.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Please stop replying to the thread troll, thanks in advance.

Hit another hiatus on the SFL Archives readthrough attempt. All the creepy stuff being mentioned in this thread for the past 2 pages has been lauded as the height of deep and interesting writing by 1980s & 1990s SFL Archives people.

LotR chat: Dennis L. McKiernan wrote a bunch of obvious (he says so while discussing the books) Tolkien knockoff books, however there is also a weird & bizarre & forgotten Russian continuation of the LotR series called 300 Years Later.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

Please stop replying to the thread troll, thanks in advance.

Yeah sorry everyone, I didn't know this person before, thought at first they made an honest fumble of words and wanted to get to the bottom of it. :/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Yeah sorry everyone, I didn't know this person before, thought at first they made an honest fumble of words and wanted to get to the bottom of it. :/

the username is basically 'lefty triggerer'. Not blaming you, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oh that's the 'women can't be harassed if they're ugly' guy. Pedophilia Defending less of a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

Oh that's the 'women can't be harassed if they're ugly' guy.

No, I was the "it is surprising to me that there are guys desperate or sad enough to hit on ugly women" guy. But clearly some of you were more in tune with that demographic.