Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Good ol George. Literally just decided one day "we're gonna have a theatrical premiere for this show" and the production team had to hastily cram 4 episodes together

Lucas is literally the baby from Dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Favorite part of the movie is how it looks like a later season animatic in terms of quality compared to say...a season 3 episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also even the movie is technically released out of timeline order (I think there’s a few pre-Ahsoka episodes here and there in the series itself).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jivjov posted:

It's no worse than the rest of S1 and 2 clone wars. Which, yeah, it's aimed at a lower age bracket than the show ended up being overall, but it's not this horrible travesty.

I don't remember lots of burp jokes in season 1 and 2.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Larryb posted:

Also even the movie is technically released out of timeline order (I think there’s a few pre-Ahsoka episodes here and there in the series itself).

Yeah, it would technically be like episodes 3-6 or something like that according to the chronological listing

site posted:

if you're doing the whole thing for the first time i'd say it's worth watching just because it's the introduction for a bunch of characters, but when you're doing a rewatch...you're gonna skip it

I'd probably agree with this. I went through the show earlier this year after Mando season 2 and while the movie is not great, it's not as dire as some on the internet would make it out to be.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'd still rather watch the movie than like, any Jar Jar episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the movie isn't great but if you are watching the show you'll see worse stuff.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Barely getting into this clone wars show. Should I watch in chronological order that all these websites have?

Mostly it amounts to a minor character will appear to come back from the dead, or seeing the leadup to a battle that has already been resolved.

I'd skip the S1 finale until later though. It's the middle part of a story that doesn't wrap up until S3 and S2 starts with Cad Bane pulling a different, unrelated scheme.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

For the chronological order, I recommend the NumeralJoker order and cuts, which packages arcs as films and adds back some short deleted scenes in some episodes. There are some exceptions, like there are two episodes at the beginning of Season 1 involving Toydaria and Ryloth, and then three more at the end continuing that storyline, and one of the films moves them together

https://old.reddit.com/user/NumeralJoker/comments/kxk62w/clone_wars_remastered_after_6_months_of_work_ive/

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 8, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Disney+ should add a “Watch in chronological order” option like they did for the MCU.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Disney+ should add a “Watch in chronological order” option like they did for the MCU.

I forget, why didn’t they just do the episodes in chronological order from the start as opposed to jumping back and forth as things go on?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The original intention was that it was going to be little vignettes from all around the Clone Wars and not a single throughline story. That went off the rails immediately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some of them got shuffled around for the usual kind of reasons, like putting some attention-grabbing as a season premiere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The original intention was that it was going to be little vignettes from all around the Clone Wars and not a single throughline story. That went off the rails immediately.

Did the random episode order last the entire series or did they eventually decide to give it up?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Did the random episode order last the entire series or did they eventually decide to give it up?

The last season is out of chronological order (the Bad Batch arc should be second).

But aside from a handful of exceptions it stops after mid-S3.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The last season doesn't really matter too much TBH. You can switch the first two arcs around either way just fine, and then end it on the Siege.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The last season doesn't really matter too much TBH. You can switch the first two arcs around either way just fine, and then end it on the Siege.

Yeah. Same goes for a lot of earlier stuff too.

Just funny that it happened.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think the biggest problem with the TCW movie is that it was original several episodes of the show and they had to reformat it into a movie-length narrative and it just didn't work.

I wish those stories could have been re-released as actual episodes of the show, but alas.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. Same goes for a lot of earlier stuff too.

Just funny that it happened.

I figured they aired the last season out of order as a throwback reference.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It was messed up that Obi-Wan faked his own death in order to go undercover and used[ Anakin's grief to sell it, and also went undercover as his killer, probably causing residual "Obi-Wan killed Obi-Wan" feelings that don't have to make sense to be there. The means were intended to be justified by the ends, but it was also pretty much all for nothing anyway, because they were nearly as surprised by the holo-disguises as if they hadn't known about them aside from the eavesdropping. At the same time, I think literally anybody but Anakin wouldn't have minded it at all

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/04/11/long-lost-series-star-wars-detours-set-to-hit-disney-next-month/

It's looking like Detours might be coming to D+

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh god.

Honestly, might as well. It's content just sitting there, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least curious to see how much of a train wreck it actually is.

fake edit: They're gonna finish the unfinished episodes? Wow. 52 episodes total.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Something to hold us over until Bad Batch drops. I hope it’s got a tang of robot chicken style. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Anita Dickinme posted:

Something to hold us over until Bad Batch drops. I hope it’s got a tang of robot chicken style. :allears:

Supposedly dropping the same day as the bad batch premiere

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It seems Disney is dumping every bit of Star Wars content they have...except the full Holiday special, and theatrical cuts of the OT.

I think Lucas is gonna have to die before either of those happen.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Supposedly dropping the same day as the bad batch premiere

Oh... Very well then, carry on. :shobon:

May 4th will be a good day.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god.

Honestly, might as well. It's content just sitting there, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least curious to see how much of a train wreck it actually is.

fake edit: They're gonna finish the unfinished episodes? Wow. 52 episodes total.

There was one episode that leaked awhile back and it was just really boring Star Wars sketch comedy stuff. Incredibly unfunny & completely boring, written in a way that felt like they had no confidence in their own jokes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

thrawn527 posted:

It seems Disney is dumping every bit of Star Wars content they have...except the full Holiday special, and theatrical cuts of the OT.

I don't think they released the Droid cartoon yet either, although they did drop the ewok one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Droids cartoon will be up on + in a month or so iirc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
No specific date yet for Droids, but confirmed to be coming "later this year"

I'd guess as hype for the upcoming Droid Tales D+ show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

I have read that Lucas included clauses in the sale to Disney that they could never decanonize the prequels or release theatrical cuts of the original trilogy. I've no idea how true that is, bug I wouldn't be surprised if it were. I don't imagine they'll ever put up the Holiday Special, just because I doubt there'd ever be demand for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

tsob posted:

I have read that Lucas included clauses in the sale to Disney that they could never decanonize the prequels or release theatrical cuts of the original trilogy. I've no idea how true that is, bug I wouldn't be surprised if it were. I don't imagine they'll ever put up the Holiday Special, just because I doubt there'd ever be demand for it.

I am willing to bet money there is demand for it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I can see how he'd think that they might decanonize the prequels, seeing as how Republicans are bad guys in them and the threat of dictatorship rises from political establishment rather than a reactionary upstart, probably to replace them with more content with Maz shooting union workers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am willing to bet money there is demand for it

The question is if there would be enough demand to go to the trouble and expense of clearing song and celebrity rights.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

I'd bet all the money I have that there is no clause like that in the Disney buyout. It's a "rumor" (I hesitate to even call it that much) that comes up every once in a while that has never been substantiated even a little bit, because it's a ridiculous notion. Disney bought Star Wars, and there's no way they'd agree to any conditions on what they would be allowed to do with it moving forward.

I see no reason they'd ever decanonize the prequels (that one is a new one, hadn't heard that as a "clause" before) because they're actually popular and led to extremely popular TV shows, but they could release the original cuts if they wanted. Lucas sold the rights, he washed his hands of Star Wars.

When I joked that Lucas would have to be dead, I meant because they may get some bad press from Lucas giving some interview where he said they're inferior cuts of the movies or something. But Disney can do whatever the gently caress they want with Star Wars.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 12, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffleman_ posted:

The question is if there would be enough demand to go to the trouble and expense of clearing song and celebrity rights.

I hadn't even considered them, honestly. I'm not sure there's enough demand to justify hosting it regardless of rights, because while the hard drive space and bandwidth to stream it out aren't going to be much, they may not be enough to justify their tiny cost. Which I'd presume is why Netflix for instance gets rid of some content every month; beyond the stuff they lose rights to.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Either disney owns it or doesn't, there's no way any dumb conditions about releasing certain cuts of movies would be legally binding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also watching the Holiday Special just wouldn't be the same without the commercials recorded along with it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Spookydonut posted:

Either disney owns it or doesn't, there's no way any dumb conditions about releasing certain cuts of movies would be legally binding.
You can be the owner of something and still be contractually bound in some way regarding its use. That contractual obligation would technically be separate from your property rights, and any claim from that other party would specifically arise from a breach of contract rather than some violation of said property rights. It may even be possible to set up a transfer of ownership in a way that the next party to become owner will be bound by such contractual obligations, for example when a municipality sells off real estate but wants to permanently restrict what its owners will do with it, or even to require them to perform certain actions.

No idea if Lucas and Disney have made any such arrangements, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sombrerotron posted:

You can be the owner of something and still be contractually bound in some way regarding its use. That contractual obligation would technically be separate from your property rights, and any claim from that other party would specifically arise from a breach of contract rather than some violation of said property rights. It may even be possible to set up a transfer of ownership in a way that the next party to become owner will be bound by such contractual obligations, for example when a municipality sells off real estate but wants to permanently restrict what its owners will do with it, or even to require them to perform certain actions.

No idea if Lucas and Disney have made any such arrangements, though.

It is entirely possible for certain restrictions like that to exist in certain contracts under certain circumstances. There is zero chance Disney agreed to anything like this, however. Especially considering they were paying $4 billion. And the fact that actual details of this contract clause have never come out, beyond what is clearly people making stuff up on websites that also run stories like, "George Lucas in talks to direct reboots of Episodes 7-9!!!" and "Kathleen Kennedy secretly fired!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'd be quite surprised if Disney agreed to conditions of this kind, certainly, but I wouldn't really expect such details to ever become public either - especially because proof of Disney being willing to make such concessions could undermine their position in any future negotiations about IP rights. Also, I don't believe it's outside the realm of possibility that Lucas actually did insist the prequels would always be canon and that Disney would never (fully) release the Holiday Special; and if that were the case, I could see Disney execs (no doubt to the company lawyers' despair) shrugging their shoulders and going "oh well what the hell", because at the end of the day the franchise is worth ungodly amounts of money regardless and with a bunch of MU movies under their belt already, they must've understood that you don't need to go back and reboot everything to keep milking a titanic cash cow.

Still, you're most likely right and Disney can do whatever the hell they like with the IP now, no strings attached. Maybe they'll start making alternative timeline films based on the old EU, starting with the fine work of the most honourable Kevin J. Anderson? :unsmigghh: