Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mrbasehart posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask, but does anyone know how often the Marvel Universe app adds old stuff to the catalogue?

Inconsistently. For a while it was every week along with new stuff, but now sometimes it's weekly, sometimes it can go a month with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
drat. There goes my hope of reading all the old Alpha Flight comics in a row. Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GPTribefan posted:

Yes and it’s not even close. Between his Amazing and Spectacular in the 70s and his return to Spectacular in the 80s and 90s, he’s far and away the best.

Uhmm, are you forgetting about Stan Lee?

I love Steve Ditko art but Stan was clearly the driving force on that comic. I loving loved Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and got bored with it pretty quickly once Kirby Left, barely noticed when I read Amazing and Ditko left.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
I've been reading the old Amazing Spider-Man and I think the reason why I didn't miss Ditko (who got way better as his run went on) when he left is because John Romita is so great himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mrbasehart posted:

I've been reading the old Amazing Spider-Man and I think the reason why I didn't miss Ditko (who got way better as his run went on) when he left is because John Romita is so great himself.

JRSR also replaced Kirby on FF

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Inconsistently. For a while it was every week along with new stuff, but now sometimes it's weekly, sometimes it can go a month with nothing.

Yeah, the app started slacking off way before COVID.

Skwirl posted:

I love Steve Ditko art but Stan was clearly the driving force on that comic. I loving loved Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four and got bored with it pretty quickly once Kirby Left, barely noticed when I read Amazing and Ditko left.

This also feels like it does a disservice to Roger Stern, who was amazing and wrote one of the best Spidey stories ever with 'Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut!'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mrbasehart posted:

drat. There goes my hope of reading all the old Alpha Flight comics in a row. Thanks!

drat it sucks man

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Uhmm, are you forgetting about Stan Lee?

And Romita jumped in with that iconic Green Goblin two parter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JM DeMatteis taking over for Conway on Spectacular was top notch, too. Especially with Sal Buscema on pencils.

And of course there's also Kraven's Last Hunt.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I would honestly rather read one of Conway's endless subplots about like a Bugle reporter who is dating a werewolf than the third or fourth time DeMatteis did a psychological breakdown of a guy who is a rat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

And Romita jumped in with that iconic Green Goblin two parter.

Right, but he also jumped into FF when Kirby left and it was terrible. Kirby was clearly the greater creative force on FF and Lee was clearly the greater creative force on Spider-Man.

Not to discount Ditko's work on Spider-Man, or especially not other stuff he did for Marvel (Dr Strange struggled a lot for a while after he left). But I think Spider-Man was Lee's baby more than anything else at Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Karma Tornado posted:

I would honestly rather read one of Conway's endless subplots about like a Bugle reporter who is dating a werewolf than the third or fourth time DeMatteis did a psychological breakdown of a guy who is a rat

I actually really like DeMatteis, but is there anyone that actually thought Vermin was a good character?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GPTribefan posted:

Yes and it’s not even close. Between his Amazing and Spectacular in the 70s and his return to Spectacular in the 80s and 90s, he’s far and away the best.

Where would you put stern?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
DeMatteis really had a problem where every storyline he did ended up feeling like Kraven's Last Hunt but with increasingly weak characters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

DeMatteis really had a problem where every storyline he did ended up feeling like Kraven's Last Hunt but with increasingly weak characters

There's worse wells to keep going back to though.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bobkatt013 posted:

Where would you put stern?

Maybe “not even close” was an exaggeration. I love Lee’s stories and he obviously set the tone, but I feel Conway had a better overall body of work. The Stan Lee stuff can sometimes get a bit repetitive and comes off a bit dated sometimes. I’d put him and Stern right behind Conway.

Roger Stern is my all time favorite Avengers writer and isn’t far off from Conway, but he wasn’t allowed to stick around as long unfortunately. The Hobgoblin stuff was fantastic and the Juggernaut 2-parter was an all-timer.

I just have a soft spot for Conway’s Spectacular work and he also wrote “The Night Gwen Stacy Died”, which is one of my absolute favorites.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
King in black reads like a bad venom fanfic, it's just so goddamn terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

King in black reads like a bad venom fanfic, it's just so goddamn terrible.

Yes, we know Donny Cates has been writing it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bought the last two issues on a whim, and it was just so bland. Issue four made Jean Grey look like a bad rear end which was cool, and I kind of liked Silver Surfer helping the enigma force breach the barrier surrounding Earth. I was excited to see Captain Universe Venom, but it’s just Venom with his white bits glowing a little. Turning the black of the symbiote into a star field was right loving there!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Immortal Hulk 45 review: ITS drat GOOD

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Quotey posted:

Immortal Hulk 45 review: ITS drat GOOD

I don't really understand what is happening in it. Can someone explain it to me like I'm an idiot?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Here's the part that took me a minute. I think I have it right.

In the aughts, Jeph Loeb invented a new Hulk called the Red Hulk. His deal was that he was the Hulk, but Red, and shrouded in mystery. He was in a lot of not very good comics but basically he was strounger, tougher, meaner, and smarter, and it eventually came out that he was powered by a mix of gamma and cosmic energy. So when the Hulk is dead and on the ropes here and the U Foes think they're keeping him that way by pouring cosmic energy on his corpse, in fact they're charging him up with exactly what he needs to draw on this other, even scarier well of power. Hence the Red Door all of a sudden not being one-way-- they've allowed Joe Fixit to tap into the power of what was once one of the dumbest concepts in comics and turn it into something cool and terrifying: from the worst Hulk of them all to, per Joe, "The worst Hulk of 'em all!".

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 10, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ahhh thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware about that bit with the original Red Hulk.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i actually didn't know there was a red hulk before ross either. guess i should've expected that considering this is ewing we're talking about

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

yeah i actually didn't know there was a red hulk before ross either. guess i should've expected that considering this is ewing we're talking about

That is Ross she's talking about. Although I'd argue the Jeff Parker Red Hulk book was decent.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh okay, the way it's worded kinda makes it sounds like it was a separate character

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

oh okay, the way it's worded kinda makes it sounds like it was a separate character

This run has kinda done that in separating the Hulks (demon, world breaker, etc) and the human personas (Banner, Joe) as individual pieces of an overall Hulk system. It’s even expanded this to the other gamma people what with some of them currently using the bodies of others.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no i mean literally, as in not ross. like, it was a hulk form banner took in the past or something

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's my bad, I did mean Ross.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So they've done a Spider-Totem thing with the Hulk? The Hulk is part magic now?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

So they've done a Spider-Totem thing with the Hulk? The Hulk is part magic now?

Yes, but a kind of lovecraftian magic deeply tied into psychology and emotional trauma. You should read immortal hulk.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Thanks I think I got it now. So Banner has never been Red Hulk before, but Joe Fixit saw the opportunity to be Red Hulk and went for it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the power was served up on a platter and he took it, is all.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

There's worse wells to keep going back to though.

While true, with maybe half a dozen exceptions dark and grim Spidey does not fuckin' work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

While true, with maybe half a dozen exceptions dark and grim Spidey does not fuckin' work.

Yeah, but if you wrote what's probably the best one...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do not see what appeal people see in Kraven's Last Hunt. It presents itself as a very good, deep story, what with the poetry quotations and all, but the quality just isn't there imo. It doesn't live up to how it presents itself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I do not see what appeal people see in Kraven's Last Hunt. It presents itself as a very good, deep story, what with the poetry quotations and all, but the quality just isn't there imo. It doesn't live up to how it presents itself.

I dunno. I liked it when I last read it. But that was probably 6 years ago at least.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kraven does not once play volleyball or cook a meal with exhaustive detail of what ingredients he put in and how they affect the dish, how can it be good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's a good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

kraven does not once play volleyball or cook a meal with exhaustive detail of what ingredients he put in and how they affect the dish, how can it be good

That's funny, my copy has a recipe in it. Let me dig it up.

quote:

Kraven's "Krave-Worthy" Spider Surprise

Servings: 1
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
-30 lb. spiders (black house spiders or common black spiders, washed and uncooked)
-1/2 tsp salt
-5 cups extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, shiny side down
-Remove clothes and coat nude body evenly with olive oil
-Remember mother. Remember the look in her eyes. The emptiness.
-Lightly salt spiders, add more to taste if desired
-Immerse body in spiders, tossing occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or overnight, uncovered at room temperature.
-Become the spiders
-Enjoy!

(serve on sesame crackers with prepared horseradish and dill garnish, or devour with bare hands)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 11, 2021