Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Printers

It’s always printers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

Gonna laugh when redeyes is used as an endpoint in the next Facebook hack and he gets to sit in an FBI interrogation room and explain how they're wrong because his firewall would have alerted him.

Delaying patches for a good while is dumb. Delaying patches for years puts you in a unique situation where you're the only workstation anyone can find which will fall to script kiddies using tools built on old RCEs.

You think you're unimportant because you're "not a massive company" but at some point you're just the proverbial baby with the candy.

I dont use facebook. You shouldn't either, its a bad site.

^^ it really always is printers

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 7, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When I choose to auto-hide the taskbar, is there a way to hide it completely, so the line at the bottom also disappears?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Eikre posted:

What the gently caress, exactly, does Windows 10 expect from you when you install drivers during the OS installation?
I think in some cases you can format your usb install media the "wrong" filesystem, forcing the bios into a non-uefi legacy mode from where a nvme drive couldn't be seen or wouldn't be recognised as bootable in any case. I'm not sure of the details or indeed if any of it applies to your situation. Maybe this sounds familiar to someone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

redeyes posted:

I dont use facebook. You shouldn't either, its a bad site.

^^ it really always is printers

Right you're the perfect endpoint

never logged into Facebook, never been soiled by a tracking cookie, your network can go ham for a few minutes without getting blocklisted.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, was there some update that hosed poo poo up?
My grandparents PC , the login screen is completely different , my grandfathers account was renamed to “Email service”, You can’t actually log into any of them as the computer is in airplane mode ( it’s a desktop) and it won’t log in without internet.

There is no desktop or start menu. Just three icons for “internet”. Which just says “ airplane mode” and no options left or right clicking. One with a bunch of accessibility options, like narrator, high contrast a d stick keys, and then power options.

Every time I have to touch windows 10, it’s like pulling goddamn teeth.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sininu posted:

You should've installed 8.1 instead. It's way better than 8. I don't recall any forced fullscreen crap in that one.

Oh yeah, I should have said it was 8.1. There was a ton of forced full screen stuff. I don't recall exactly what it was but a lot of it was display settings type stuff or the Windows update app. No minimize/maximize buttons anywhere and no amount of mouse jiggling did anything for me. I had to alt+tab away from them to get back to what I was doing. Absolutely horrible. That was all Ballmer, right?

edit: I just read that Lenovo shipped all their Windows 8 laptops with the Pokki Start button. That's hilarious.

Ambaire posted:

When I choose to auto-hide the taskbar, is there a way to hide it completely, so the line at the bottom also disappears?

I believe it should work if you do this:

If not, OpenShell will make it disappear completely when hidden with some setting changes.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 7, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

My grandparents PC , the login screen is completely different , my grandfathers account was renamed to “Email service”, You can’t actually log into any of them as the computer is in airplane mode ( it’s a desktop) and it won’t log in without internet.

There is no desktop or start menu. Just three icons for “internet”. Which just says “ airplane mode” and no options left or right clicking. One with a bunch of accessibility options, like narrator, high contrast a d stick keys, and then power options.

Sounds more like your grandpa installed some weird malware, lmao.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That was all Ballmer, right?

Steven Sinofsky is usually credited with Windows 8 and had to leave the company over it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah okay, I was iffy on the details but remember the name Steve being involved.

Literally the only person I ever met that actually uses the touch screen on a Windows laptop is my wife and it's just for webpage scrolling. Not for anything in the actual Windows UI at all.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a Surface Pro 7 up until very recently, but it's a really terrible product I hated. Windows on a touchscreen is not a good experience, and the Surface is neither a good tablet nor a good laptop. Really slows down to a crawl as soon as it gets hot, and tons of other weird issues.

I switched to a traditional laptop, a Lenovo Thinkbook 14" with a Ryzen 7 & a cheap Samsungs Galaxy Tab A7 for my reading (which is the only thing I use my tablet for)

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 7, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I had a Surface Pro 1 and... 3? Anyways, they were great for web browsing and reading comic books. Mouse and keyboard or the stylus was 100x faster than touch for anything else though, even in the days of Win 8. I'd probably get another Surface Pro for reading in bed if the prices got a little more reasonable.

Edit:

Fame Douglas posted:

I used to have a Surface Pro 7 up until very recently, but it's a really terrible product I hated. Windows on a touchscreen is not a good experience, and the Surface is neither a good tablet nor a good laptop. Really slows down to a crawl as soon as it gets hot, and tons of other weird issues.

Or not, if the new models have heat issues.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 7, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds more like your grandpa installed some weird malware, lmao.

Nope! More Microsoft bullshit!
Uninstalled the latest “ Features” update from the options and that got everything back to normal.
Not sure what the “features” was supposed to be

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Uninstalled the latest “ Features” update from the options and that got everything back to normal.

That shits all normal. Your grampa is on an old rear end ver of Windows 10 that is no longer supported. Microsoft pushed down the latest version and some minor things changed. I did that for about 300 users and maybe 5 had issues.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I had a Surface Pro 1 and... 3? Anyways, it was great for web browsing and reading comic books. Mouse and keyboard or the stylus was 100x faster than touch for anything else though, even in the days of Win 8. I'd probably get another Surface Pro for reading in bed if the prices got a little more reasonable.

Edit:

I'm sure it's the right product for some people, but really didn't work for my use case. I had the fanless i5 model, would probably have been happier with the i7 that has a fan, so less heat issues. But I prefer my new setup, a real laptop is hard to replace. And the Android tablet is way more pleasant to use and lighter for reading.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, obviously is was getting you to spend more time with your grandpa!

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Eikre posted:

What the gently caress, exactly, does Windows 10 expect from you when you install drivers during the OS installation?

I've got this HP 17CG sitting here, I'm trying to flatten and reinstall, and I can't get the installation environment to recognize the loving SSD.

Check your bios if your drive is set to some raid mode? Quick google shows they are ssd+hdd so probably have intel rapid storage enabled. That needs separate driver.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I had a Surface Pro 1 and... 3? Anyways, they were great for web browsing and reading comic books. Mouse and keyboard or the stylus was 100x faster than touch for anything else though, even in the days of Win 8. I'd probably get another Surface Pro for reading in bed if the prices got a little more reasonable.

Edit:

I researched and got the Boox Max Lumi (https://www.boox.com/maxlumi/) for my bedtime reading because it was the only huge e-ink screen out there with a backlight. You can completely adjust the backlight brightness and color, so blue if you prefer, or yellower if you prefer.

It runs Android 10 and the battery has lasted over a month for me so far without a single re-charge. I use the Awful app on it at night time so my eyes don't get fried from reading.

It's a bit pricey but it's one of the best purchases I've made in a long time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Buff Hardback posted:

Right you're the perfect endpoint

never logged into Facebook, never been soiled by a tracking cookie, your network can go ham for a few minutes without getting blocklisted.

I dont even know what you just wrote. I'll assume its some broken buzzwords.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

That shits all normal. Your grampa is on an old rear end ver of Windows 10 that is no longer supported. Microsoft pushed down the latest version and some minor things changed. I did that for about 300 users and maybe 5 had issues.

Well, it's completely breaking the system, and how can it be an "old rear end" version if updates are forcibly turned on? I can fix it by forcing it to uninstall the latest "Features" pack, but it's already installed it self again. So, I have to drive back over there tomorrow and figure out a way to stop it from reinstalling again. How can I block it from installing this poo poo?

And I hardly call this " minor" when the it's forcing you to have an active internet connection to even log on to your desktop(and breaking that connection in the process),

Edit: I'll just disable the Updates service altogether.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 8, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, it's completely breaking the system, and how can it be an "old rear end" version if updates are forcibly turned on? I can fix it by forcing it to uninstall the latest "Features" pack, but it's already installed it self again. So, I have to drive back over there tomorrow and figure out a way to stop it from reinstalling again. How can I block it from installing this poo poo?

And I hardly call this " minor" when the it's forcing you to have an active internet connection to even log on to your desktop(and breaking that connection in the process),

Update to the latest version using the Media Creation Tool under your supervision. Not updating the system is not an option, unless you want your gramps to have a virus-infected computer.

No clue what went wrong with the update, sounds very unusual.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

welcome, you'll fit right in

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Uninstalling a Feature Update performs a full system rollback, so uninstalling that also uninstalls any malware that may have been installed or corrupted/changed any system settings after the update was initially performed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Microsoft apparently EOLed version 1903 last year and has been pushing "feature updates" on people who are too far behind.

https://www.techradar.com/news/some-windows-10-updates-will-soon-be-force-installed-whether-you-like-it-or-not

That the update is breaking the system I'm not sure about. One thing I do find annoying is that Microsoft makes it obnoxious to find previous versions if I want to update or do a fresh install with a version other than the current release. I'm sure it's possible to find the ISOs online somewhere, but I try to keep a couple older ones on local drives just in case.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Have a question! I'm on Windows 10 Pro but also have this Group Policy set to 0.

As you can see, and the corresponding registry for this setting is also set to 0, so question is, despite it saying "Enterprise Only", is this setting working as intended because it is selected, or am I still on Basic Telemetry, or worst, Full. Should this not be selectable if I'm not on Enterprise?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's ignored if you're not on Enterprise. Also, you need Basic Telemetry for Windows Update to work, so even if you could select that setting, you'd gain nothing.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Okay, so it is being ignored, I assume it just defaults to "Basic" then? I also see it as this in the setting panel, so I assume so.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

It's ignored if you're not on Enterprise. Also, you need Basic Telemetry for Windows Update to work, so even if you could select that setting, you'd gain nothing.

If you are on Enterprise, telemetry can be off and windows update works just fine. And then it still uploads information about the programs you run, even if you set it not to.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is literally fascinating because I really have no idea what could be causing that. Any screenshots or photos? I can't even drag up anything similar on google, but I might just not be proficient enough. It certainly isn't a planned feature thing of any kind.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is no scenario I can think of where an official Microsoft update will put an icon titled lowercase "internet" on your desktop. Something is definitely amiss there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

Have a question! I'm on Windows 10 Pro but also have this Group Policy set to 0.

As you can see, and the corresponding registry for this setting is also set to 0, so question is, despite it saying "Enterprise Only", is this setting working as intended because it is selected, or am I still on Basic Telemetry, or worst, Full. Should this not be selectable if I'm not on Enterprise?

It's selectable if you're not on Enterprise because group policy editor is not designed for end-users, its intended use is system admins to deploy corporate policies through networks. You can select poo poo that does nothing because your edition is wrong and it doesn't give you any extra warnings besides the label.

(There's a group policy that disabled registry modification. If you turn that on, guess what? You can't turn it off because group policy editor itself modifies the registry to apply settings. There are things in GP that you can gently caress yourself over with, so have some care when using it and if you're not positive what a thing does, read up.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There is no scenario I can think of where an official Microsoft update will put an icon titled lowercase "internet" on your desktop. Something is definitely amiss there.

Clearly Microsoft is specifically targeting Jonny's grandfather by using activation IDs to change icon names only on his computer and no one else's as part of an OS update distributed to millions of computers all over the world. There's just no other reasonable explanation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is a Microsoft gently caress up. I've seen it on 4 computers. What happened is the connected MS account got changed on the server side and the persons name is now EMAIL SERVICE. You can fix it by changing the name in the account itself.. and then disconnect the loving online login from win 10. What a stupid loving problem.

The rest.. no idea.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm helping fix a friend's pc. The computer kept shutting down before Windows 10 could boot. I replaced the PSU and now all is well except it keeps trying to boot into Automatic Repair (understandable because it couldn't boot into Windows a ton of times before) but now it should boot fine since the PSU has been replaced.

Is there any way to stop it from trying to get into automatic repair? I tried F8 a dozen times but that doesn't do anything. It just says "Preparing Automatic Repair" forever (three hours now).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hard drive likely messed up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I put the drive in my desktop and was able to image it just fine, as well as run chkdsk on it and SFC scannow with zero issues.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

redeyes posted:

I dont even know what you just wrote. I'll assume its some broken buzzwords.

He's saying you'll be hacked and then used as the last hop to hack facebook the site, not that your facebook account will be hacked.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also a small update but I am able to boot into repair mode using a Windows 10 DVD but it literally took an hour. What would cause that?

I mean even if his hard drive was dead and I had 256mb of RAM and this was an amd64 processor it shouldn't take an hour.

I told the Windows 10 troubleshooter to launch the command prompt so I could run chkdsk /f /r /x on his new imaged ssd and even that looked like it was running slow. Like the command prompt scrolling his file directory contents was slow motion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like, literally a DVD? Optical media is very slow. That would cause the slowness.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Busted CPU, maybe? Not sure how you'd check that though.

Just getting into recovery mode shouldn't take that long even from DVD, it sounds like the PC itself is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Like, literally a DVD? Optical media is very slow. That would cause the slowness.

Yep an actual DVD. I know they are slower but I've done this a ton of times before using optical media and it usually never takes more than a minute or two to boot.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Busted CPU, maybe? Not sure how you'd check that though.

Just getting into recovery mode shouldn't take that long even from DVD, it sounds like the PC itself is hosed.

Yeah this sucks because he's in pretty dire financial straits and on top of all that we just kind of enjoy the hilarity of keeping this PC alive, considering how many times we've fixed it since I first built it for him in like 2009 or something crazy like that.

Believe it or not, it was working fine with Windows 10, and for the type of stuff he's doing (paying bills, playing fantasy football, playing me online in Monopoly 95 from Westwood). So I would love to keep this thing running for a bunch of different reasons.

The power supply definitely was bad, because the fan on it wasn't even spinning. The computer would shut off about 10 seconds after turning it on. I ordered him a new PSU on ebay and when I plugged it in...it turned off again after 10 seconds. I couldn't believe it, because clearly the old PSU was dead, and the new one was working fine, but it still did that. Then I took out a stick of RAM and it stopped happening. I actually found 4GB (2 2GB sticks) of RAM in my basement that fit this motherboard, and the computer posts just fine. I don't get how the RAM caused it, because both original sticks work fine, just as long as they aren't both in at the same time. But it's not a bad RAM slot because it just accepted these two new sticks I found just fine!

I am running chkdsk which says it has 338 hours remaining. If I get Windows 10 to boot I am gonna test the CPU with some sort of program or something. Praying this old dog still works though! We would like to celebrate its 15 year anniversary if possible.