Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sanford posted:

8 weeks until anyone can meet the baby? Yeah, you’re an rear end in a top hat.

Oh yes I forgot how parents are obligated to introduce their baby to people who want to see it on their schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sanford posted:

It's not your Right to see the baby, grandma. Especially during a pandemic.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

cumshitter posted:

I hadn't heard of it but it looks silly and seems like a way for thin guys to show off their physique. Just wear better fitting clothes if that's what you're going for.

Thin guy here. A French tuck is what happens when I'm forced to tuck a buttoned shirt in but constantly fidget and stretch my arms because I really hate the feeling of it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
lol my sister had a baby last November and none of us, including our mom, met him until late January. We were all fine, my sister and BIL enjoyed the opportunity to acclimate to becoming new parents and the baby gave exactly 0 shits because he is an infant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's not your Right to see the baby, grandma. Especially during a pandemic.

My cousin's kid is maybe 6 months old and they've pretty much said, if you haven't seen him yet, you're not seeing him until July or August when you all get vaccinated.

No complaints from me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

covid aside, this comes up every so often and 8 weeks seems pretty long but it's an excuse for anxious people not to see anyone and they have perfect plausible deniability so arguing about it on the anxiety capital of the internet is not going to work out well

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I see that someone cosplaying as the grandma is posting in the comments ranting about how people today are selfish:

Totally not the MIL, honest posted:

Honestly I've been reading this forum for a few days now, and it's the norm for people on reddit to basically be all Me Me Me.

In some ways, it's like a twilight zone- a fascinating glimpse into another universe where it's considered bizarre and selfish for a grandmother to want to be around her grandson.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Hughlander posted:

No one under the age of 80 wears Jeans at the waist.

zoomers are bringing back mom jeans. also center parts. everything old is new again

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Late Fees posted:

zoomers are bringing back mom jeans. also center parts. everything old is new again

I'm a millennial and I started rocking the center part again during quarantine. Still wondering if I'll keep it when I go into work next week.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not asking my dad for something of mine when he purposefully hid it to bond with me?

OP posted:

My dad hid my laptop one night from my nightstand while it was charging while I was sleeping, I knew I left it there charging the night before so when I woke up I was very surprised/upset it was gone. I knew it had to be somewhere in my house, but if I couldn't find it I'd be missing school (Since my school is 100% online)

I asked my little brother if he knew where it was and if he mixed his laptop up with mine (Since they're issued school laptops, we have the same exact models) and he did indeed have his laptop and not mine. We spent about an hour looking for the laptop but gave up. I called my mom and asked her if she knew where my laptop was while she was at work, since for some reason my laptop ended up in her bag one day before. She looked in her bag and said that no, it wasn't there. I didn't ever think to ask my dad because there'd be no reason for him to have it. We'd never had a mix up with it before involving him, and he never goes into my room and messes with my stuff/takes things that are mine. So, I didn't ask my dad, and I missed all my classes that day. When my mom got home, I told her I missed all my classes because I couldn't find my laptop. The FIRST thing she asked is if I asked my dad to help me look for it (Which made me think that she was in on it too) and of course, I said no. She then called my dad out from his office and asked me to explain why I missed all my classes to him.I did, and He said he hid it in his office. His plan was for me to ask him where it was, he'd pretend like he didn't know, and after looking for it for a while, he'd "coincidentally" find it in his office and pretend like I must have put it there somehow. He twisted this and made it seem like I WAS THE rear end in a top hat for never asking him, and I'm a terrible child because I never talk to him/ask him for things. That i was stupid for asking everyone else in the house but him, and he made it seem like that was a purposeful, targeting thing. His defense was that I ask him all the time if he's seen my phone or headphones somewhere, and I should have asked if he'd seen my laptop anywhere. But that's not the same thing, in those cases, I'd leave my phone / headphones in random places and forget where I put them unconsciously, but in this case I was 100% confident that someone took it from my nightstand and put it somewhere else, and in my mind I was 100% confident it would not be him. Am I wrong for not asking him?

Top Comment posted:

NTA If your father wants to bond with you, he should just spend some time with you, not manufacture bizarre scenarios where he ends up the hero and you're eternally grateful to him. Also, he's gaslighting you, twisting the whole thing to be your fault. You're not at fault in any way, and your father needs a therapist.

OP posted:

LMAO youre gonna get a kick out of this.

He actually scheduled to meet with a therapist, after months and months of his family, his wife, his children, and his friends saying he needs one. He talks very loudly and didn't want anyone of us (my mom, brother and I) to hear what he was saying to the therapist at our home, so my mom decided to take us out to lunch to leave him alone.

The appointment was from 1pm-3pm. Our plan was to leave the house at 1, eat lunch together, and then go around the shopping mall until 3, and come back home. We arrive at the restaurant and 20 loving MINUTES LATER at like 1:30 my dad calls my mom saying, "I'm coming to the restaurant, I hated the therapist. They kept asking me open ended questions and it was so loving annoying." I was so pissed by this, but didn't say anything to my mom, dad, or brother. He couldn't even sit through ONE therapy session..and his problem with it was that they were asking open ended questions..stfu bro.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m incredibly fat and I do because if I wear them at hip level they will slide off me even with a belt.

Yeah, maybe things would be different if my rear end were fatter than my hips are wide, but as it is, I don't think I'm physically capable of wearing jeans that don't rest at my waist. Everyone is different! But I will never go back to a center part.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

hawowanlawow posted:

covid aside, this comes up every so often and 8 weeks seems pretty long but it's an excuse for anxious people not to see anyone and they have perfect plausible deniability so arguing about it on the anxiety capital of the internet is not going to work out well

Not wanting your newborn child to catch a disease seems like a pretty low bar for being an anxious person, though.

It's also a fantastic excuse if you just straight up don't like someone and don't want them around but social convention prevents you from telling them so

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Seems like there's a lot to not like, too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not asking my dad for something of mine when he purposefully hid it to bond with me?

quote:

OP posted:
LMAO youre gonna get a kick out of this.

He actually scheduled to meet with a therapist, after months and months of his family, his wife, his children, and his friends saying he needs one. He talks very loudly and didn't want anyone of us (my mom, brother and I) to hear what he was saying to the therapist at our home, so my mom decided to take us out to lunch to leave him alone.

The appointment was from 1pm-3pm. Our plan was to leave the house at 1, eat lunch together, and then go around the shopping mall until 3, and come back home. We arrive at the restaurant and 20 loving MINUTES LATER at like 1:30 my dad calls my mom saying, "I'm coming to the restaurant, I hated the therapist. They kept asking me open ended questions and it was so loving annoying." I was so pissed by this, but didn't say anything to my mom, dad, or brother. He couldn't even sit through ONE therapy session..and his problem with it was that they were asking open ended questions..stfu bro.

Ah well, they'll turn 18 someday

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

AITA for telling my MIL she can’t see her grandbaby immediately when it’s born? (self.AmItheAsshole)
NTA of course because it’s their kid, but just wondering: Is this a common thing?

Just thinking of my friends and family who had kids (pre-Covid) and it felt like they’d invite literally everyone to come see how great and cute their new baby is. Either immediately at the hospital or shortly after leaving, never mind for two months afterwards.

I think the justification of “we’ll be tired and trying to figure poo poo out” sounds pretty good, just never really heard of this before.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

NTA of course because it’s their kid, but just wondering: Is this a common thing?

Just thinking of my friends and family who had kids (pre-Covid) and it felt like they’d invite literally everyone to come see how great and cute their new baby is. Either immediately at the hospital or shortly after leaving, never mind for two months afterwards.

I think the justification of “we’ll be tired and trying to figure poo poo out” sounds pretty good, just never really heard of this before.

I'm not sure if it's usually any kind of an official thing, but I know for most of my family that's been born there's usually a few weeks gap between the birth and anyone coming to see them. At least a couple times the first time anyone saw them was at the christening.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MagusofStars posted:

Under normal circumstances I've seen both. Some people are "come see the baby, SEE MY BABY NOW!" and some people are like "poo poo, right now its a never ending carousel of piss, poo poo, puke and screaming. Also the baby. Give us some time to get our poo poo together". And of course, people are allowed to change their minds too, so I've seen people in the "leave us alone" camp decide that their new routine settled in faster than they were expecting, and they could do with a couple of visitors, and I've seen the "Why havent you seen my loving baby yet??? DO YOU WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN?" people get burned out and need some time just the new family.

In short, people are a land of contrasts.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

r/relationships: a never ending carousel of piss, poo poo, puke and screaming

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Ordinarily I think it would be cruel not to let her see her grandchild for that long but, a) pandemic and b) the grandma is so out of line here that I kind of suspect they have good reason to want to keep some distance from her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

New Coke posted:

Ordinarily I think it would be cruel not to let her see her grandchild for that long but, a) pandemic and b) the grandma is so out of line here that I kind of suspect they have good reason to want to keep some distance from her.

Given that she's the sort of person to tell the parents that they're clueless and they'll need her to tell them what to do, the family insistence that they need time to learn how to be parents by themselves makes absolutely perfect sense.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

DemoneeHo posted:

Sort of feel bad for that dad. It's obvious he's got trouble communicating. Hope he tries to find another therapist.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You know pushy grandma would just criticize every little thing they do and constantly tell the brand new mother what a terrible job she's doing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AITA For no longer making my husband sandwiches to take to work after discovering he was selling them?

quote:

My F33 husband M37 works at an advertising company. We're struggling a bit financially because we're saving up to purchase a new aprtment. He is used to eating fast food and it was costly. He had no problem spending money daily on fast food and after doing the math he spends mor than 300 a month on just fast food. 20$ daily. We live in expensive area. I talked to him about it. He agreed that I make sandwiches for him to take with him to work.

That way he eats healthy and we spare money for rent. Everything was going on well. I noticed he wouldn't respond when I ask wether he liked the sandwiches I make. But kept asking me make more than 2 since he was hungry.

Yesterday. He came home with his friend and co worker. We sat at dinner table and his friend brought up the sandwiches I make for my husband. And how delicious they are. I thanked him then he said the price was a bit much. I was confused I asked him to explain and he said my husband sells the sandwiches I make to his co workers then goes to buy his own lunch from the restaurant. I was stunned my husband denied it. I began arguing with him after his friend left. He said there was nothing wrong with it. I told him I will no longer be making him sandwiches if he's selling them to buy fast food. He defended himself calling this an overreaction since he's not spending money on fast food and said I was being unfair to start an argument over this. I just walked into the bedroom and stayed there then he said I owe him an apology for God knows what and he didn't think it was acceptable of me to lash out and say I won't make him sandwiches anymore.

E: lol

quote:

Yes. I couldn't help but feel that it was disrespectful of him. He ignored that I make so much efforts trying to make him a veriety of sandwiches. And taking time at night to prepare everything. Not to mention going to the grocery store and buying the things he prefers. He makes about 15$ a day by selling sandwiches and goes to buy his lunch from the restaurant. He said I shouldn't feel mad since he's making his own money to buy his own lunch. But I'm not accepting what he did. I'm hurt and I wish he understood how I felt.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LadyPictureShow posted:

AITA For no longer making my husband sandwiches to take to work after discovering he was selling them?

I'm gonna do what's called a pro husband move

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ikanreed posted:

Wow, if you'd learned any chinese at all while you were with this guy, you'd know 妹妹 means little sister, dumbass

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The boyfriend calls the niece "mei mei" all the time, which is Chinese for "younger sister", but is also used for any female kid.

She said that nickname was made up, but maybe she changed it from Mei Mei to Mae Mae, which is the same sound in typical English.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Under normal circumstances I've seen both. Some people are "come see the baby, SEE MY BABY NOW!" and some people are like "poo poo, right now its a never ending carousel of piss, poo poo, puke and screaming. Also the baby. Give us some time to get our poo poo together". And of course, people are allowed to change their minds too, so I've seen people in the "leave us alone" camp decide that their new routine settled in faster than they were expecting, and they could do with a couple of visitors, and I've seen the "Why havent you seen my loving baby yet??? DO YOU WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN?" people get burned out and need some time just the new family.

In short, people are a land of contrasts.

Now I think of it I had a friend who did the no visiting for a few months thing during normal days, but it was planned and timed with her maternity leave. First it would just be mom and dad for a month. Then when dad had to go back to work, grandma would come and visit for a month as a live in baby sitter. Then she would leave and auntie would come in for a bit and so on. So basically they got half a year to acclimate to being parents with plenty of support during the roughest times.

Families coming together. What a wonderful silver lining in this hellscape country little or no mandatory maternity/paternity leave.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I am legitimately impressed this man has convinced his coworkers to buy homemade sandwiches on the regular.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

I am legitimately impressed this man has convinced his coworkers to buy homemade sandwiches on the regular.

maybe he's the guy who was trying to license a sandwich recipe and it WAS that good?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

GlyphGryph posted:

I have never understood this obsession with jeans. I have also never understood why and how anyone thinks of them as "comfortable", they are such unpleasant pants to wear.

I bought my first pair of jeans during lockdown and they’re actually jeggings because idgaf anymore.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I went through a phase in college where I slept in jeans.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

kimbo305 posted:

She said that nickname was made up, but maybe she changed it from Mei Mei to Mae Mae, which is the same sound in typical English.

I thought a Mae Mae was a picture with some funny text superimposed on it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I thought a Mae Mae was a picture with some funny text superimposed on it

No, that's a mimi.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sanford posted:

The parents are not obligated to let anyone see the baby they don't want seein' the baby, for any reason, especially in PlagueWorld. HTH

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

New Coke posted:

Man this is a bad take. It's not cruel for *anyone* to ask for some space and time with their baby by themselves after the stress of pregnancy and birth. No one is entitled to visit a baby that is not theirs immediately just because they're excited. Giving birth to a child does not entitle you to grandchildren.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kimbo305 posted:

She also says the niece's mother is Chinese.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

She also says the niece's mother is Chinese.

And gave her a Chinese nickname, sure. At face value, all we have is that it's not Mae Mae.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

cumshitter posted:

I hadn't heard of it but it looks silly and seems like a way for thin guys to show off their physique. Just wear better fitting clothes if that's what you're going for.

okay, that makes sense. i was convinced it was a cruel prank the cast of queer eye was pulling on the rest of the world.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kimbo305 posted:

And gave her a Chinese nickname, sure. At face value, all we have is that it's not Mae Mae.

I'll cop to that given the text, which makes it especially weird that she'd choose that nickname when it's so incredibly common for young Chinese girls to be called that. Perhaps she meant that Jennifer wasn't the real name - I've seen misplacements of that statement before - or perhaps she found a different, more common Chinese nickname and wasn't sure how to spell it or got an odd spelling. Anyway, it's a distraction: she snooped on her boyfriend's phone, saw some innocuous texts that could have any number of explanations, and leapt to the worst possible conclusion immediately without even bothering to ask a single question. She's an idiot, she's the rear end in a top hat, and the boyfriend dodged one of those giant bullets from Super Mario Bros.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

LadyPictureShow posted:

N.K. Jemisin weighs in, and now I want her to work an /r/amitheasshole post in one of her next books.

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1379955227806347264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Always
Be
Conning your coworkers out of $15 for homemade sandwiches so you can keep stuffing yourself with MikeyDs