Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Seems like an ok change. Makes Bo1 wishboards less ridiculous (but still strong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The only emote you need forever

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-april-7-2021

the other 2, get all 3 for 5k gold 1k gems.

Japanese mystical archive bundles look expensive to me.

And the weekend's event:

Turbo Draft

April 10–15: Theros Beyond Death
All players have emblem "All spells cost [5] less to cast."

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 7, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Will Kenrith emote is actually pretty good, it might be the best of the 3.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't understand the Rowan emote, neither in a 'what is she doing' way nor a 'why does the effect on her hands look so poor' way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Will’s a himbo I love it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That Will emote is fantastic.

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't understand the Rowan emote, neither in a 'what is she doing' way nor a 'why does the effect on her hands look so poor' way.
The flavor text on practical research implies she has a drinking problem, so I assume this is related.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
These emotes are absolute hideous and I hate them. Another season of Dancing Hedrons for Bust Rodd

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/sethmanfield/status/1379831752907182081?s=21

Pretty Big changes, sideboards in Bo1 can only be 7 cards to keep wishboards and “lesson plans” in check

that's some spicy guacamole

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

These emotes are absolute hideous and I hate them. Another season of Dancing Hedrons for Bust Rodd

I like them, but I suddenly can't tell if it's only ironically.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bugsy posted:

Japanese mystical archive bundles look expensive to me.

And the weekend's event:

Turbo Draft

April 10–15: Theros Beyond Death
All players have emblem "All spells cost [5] less to cast."

yeah, i don't like how expensive the JP archives are.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The other two are pretty bad, but I can't wait to bust out that Will one when my opponent is taking forever to make a decision.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Here's a fun Gruul Dino deck in Historic that I'm doing well with. This can have lethal on board by turn 4 if you get lucky.

Deck
4 Otepec Huntmaster (XLN) 153
4 Ripjaw Raptor (XLN) 203
4 Regisaur Alpha (XLN) 227
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
3 Reckless Rage (RIX) 110
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Marauding Raptor (M20) 150
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
4 Commune with Dinosaurs (JMP) 384
4 Drover of the Mighty (JMP) 388
3 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (JMP) 399
2 Savage Stomp (JMP) 427
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
7 Forest (KLR) 300
5 Mountain (KLR) 298

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
They're going to make a million dollars. I love some of the cosmetics but spending money on those versus cards or drafts feels dumb. Also hotly anticipating all the thirsty Onyx memes on reddit :jerkbag:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

They're going to make a million dollars. I love some of the cosmetics but spending money on those versus cards or drafts feels dumb. Also hotly anticipating all the thirsty Onyx memes on reddit :jerkbag:

just make sure you have more gold than you know what to do with, even an idiot (me) can do it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MikeCrotch posted:

Don't have all the numbers in front of me but I had a 56% win rate in Kaldheim across both formats in 21 drafts and trophied twice, both times with GW aggro.

Thats from using a tracker right? What do you use?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

drat that's pricey

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hit 80 on Mastery today. Let's not talk about my lowly Silver rating in ranked.

Currently debating what to do with my pile of wildcards. I have enough to build basically any deck I want in Standard, probably most anything in Historic, or I could just go all in on lands and round out my MDFCs plus some other goodies. (I somehow don't have any copies of the white ones, but half-to-full playsets of almost all the others.) If I mostly play Standard, long term thinking would dictate going for Zendikar or Kaldheim poo poo in general, yeah? First time I've been in the position of having the freedom to do basically anything, collecting-wise, since I started playing Arena this past fall.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Currently debating what to do with my pile of wildcards. I have enough to build basically any deck I want in Standard, probably most anything in Historic, or I could just go all in on lands and round out my MDFCs plus some other goodies. (I somehow don't have any copies of the white ones, but half-to-full playsets of almost all the others.) If I mostly play Standard, long term thinking would dictate going for Zendikar or Kaldheim poo poo in general, yeah? First time I've been in the position of having the freedom to do basically anything, collecting-wise, since I started playing Arena this past fall.
Only craft cards as you need them. Crafting full sets of lands is a fun idea but there's just no reason to do it until you want to put them into a deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rickiep00h posted:

If you're going to play standard, then spend wildcards on cards for a deck you like, rather than random lands you may never play.

But yes, Eldraine, Theros, Ikoria and Core 21 will rotate out in October, Zendikar and Kaldheim will remain in standard until Oct 2022.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Eej posted:

drat that's pricey

Over $50 for all the Japanese styles for a subset of cards that are already going to be a huge money sink for historic players. I love it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah for that money they could buy a single copy of one of those cards in paper

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

rickiep00h posted:

I think the absolute smartest thing to do is to wait another 2-3 weeks until Standard and Historic shake up and we sus out if any cards need to be banned and then build the deck you like the most.

The two weeks before a new standard set releases is probably objectively the worst time to craft, because we have absolutely no idea what either format is going to be like a month from now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the absolute smartest thing to do is to wait another 2-3 weeks until Standard and Historic shake up and we sus out if any cards need to be banned and then build the deck you like the most.

The two weeks before a new standard set releases is probably objectively the worst time to craft, because we have absolutely no idea what either format is going to be like a month from now.

Yeah this is probably the most helpful bit. Even when I was playing in paper this part of the lifecycle of a set was when I tended to get antsy about buying/selling/trading. Rotation and/or releases make my brain go weird. Hopefully Strixhaven has something that will be as good to me in Ranked as various versions of RDW have been.

edit: "good to me" being relative, see previous talk about rating

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am just hoping that some deck shakes out that includes Toski and is top tier. I have no idea why but I want to use that adorable little fucker in a deck so drat bad.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thats from using a tracker right? What do you use?

Theres several I think but I use untapped.gg

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

house of the dad posted:

Over $50 for all the Japanese styles for a subset of cards that are already going to be a huge money sink for historic players. I love it

I mean I'm gonna buy them I'm just trying to figure out if it's with my wallet or grinding a ton of gold.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

The mana value of the spell countered.
Not exactly true. The mana value of the spell targeted!

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock
I like to make little limited guides when new sets come out. Now that I'm hearing more about white, I think I punted the top commons there, but I feel pretty good about alot of the other cards. Let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/s_iSYNknxa0

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

I am just hoping that some deck shakes out that includes Toski and is top tier. I have no idea why but I want to use that adorable little fucker in a deck so drat bad.

you can in fact make a deck with toski right now. there's no law says you can't. The world is your oyster friendo, let loose and be free

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
After my WG landfall/constellation deck, I asked myself what the best landfall card in the game is. The answer of course is Ruin Crab. Oh and hey, the second best mill card is an enchantment.

4 Ruin Crab (ZNR) 75
1 Eidolon of Philosophy (THB) 48
4 Nessian Wanderer (THB) 183
4 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
4 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
1 Koma, Cosmos Serpent (KHM) 221
2 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
2 Frogify (ELD) 47
4 Teferi's Tutelage (M21) 78
3 Mirrormade (ELD) 55
1 Colossification (IKO) 148
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
2 Negate (ZNR) 71
3 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76
7 Island (KLR) 290
2 Barkchannel Pathway (KHM) 251
8 Forest (KLR) 300
2 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242

It isn't going to blow any socks off, but I did manage to mill a guy turn five just now.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 8, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Everything is playable, just put it in a deck with adventure cards.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Azathoth posted:

There is a very solid Naya tokens deck with Toski and Clarion Spirit that, if not top tier, is pretty close. I've been having fun with it. Here is my list (stolen from CGB):

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Deck
4 Clarion Spirit (KHM) 6
4 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Branchloft Pathway (ZNR) 258
4 Jaspera Sentinel (KHM) 178
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Forest (KLR) 300
1 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Showdown of the Skalds (KHM) 229
4 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
2 Plains (KLR) 288
1 Mountain (KLR) 298
4 Felidar Retreat (ZNR) 16
2 Toski, Bearer of Secrets (KHM) 197
2 Kabira Takedown (ZNR) 19
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Klowner posted:

you can in fact make a deck with toski right now. there's no law says you can't. The world is your oyster friendo, let loose and be free

oh i know. i already have the toskis just from finding them not from spending WCs but not enough of anything else to put a deck together without blowing all my wildcards and i'm definitely avoiding crafting anything right now with the new set so close. can't afford to blow my limited WCs on what might be a meme deck as i like winning way more than i like trying to make a suboptimal deck work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ani posted:

There is a very solid Naya tokens deck with Toski and Clarion Spirit that, if not top tier, is pretty close. I've been having fun with it. Here is my list (stolen from CGB):

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Deck
4 Clarion Spirit (KHM) 6
4 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Branchloft Pathway (ZNR) 258
4 Jaspera Sentinel (KHM) 178
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Forest (KLR) 300
1 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Showdown of the Skalds (KHM) 229
4 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
2 Plains (KLR) 288
1 Mountain (KLR) 298
4 Felidar Retreat (ZNR) 16
2 Toski, Bearer of Secrets (KHM) 197
2 Kabira Takedown (ZNR) 19
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246

I saw that video and once the new set hits and some people start brewing with Naya I'm probably going to craft something like this. It looks like a lot of fun to play.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Got wrecked by an auras deck playing Toski in historic. Guy is pretty scary when he's suited up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Got wrecked by an auras deck playing Toski in historic. Guy is pretty scary when he's suited up.

That just Selesnya? Or some Abzan thing? Orzhov might well get to drop Dead Weight or Punishment on it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Naya spirit with Toski is very much a deck that can win games.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3823882#paper

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pretty hard to go wrong with those 16 adventure cards as a base it seems. swap out giant killer for brazen borrower if you want to go blue instead of white. it's hilarious just how modular that set is with pretty much anything else that counts as a win condition.

edit: and i didn't mean in my initial comment to suggest that there aren't competitive toski decks now. i know there are, what i was hoping for is that one of them would be even better with strixhaven. i was expressing hope not suggesting it isn't playable now.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Time posted:

Last three runs - draft selesnya tokens/counters. Animation module/cathars crusade dumps hundreds of power onto the board. Any other counter synergy/token generators work with it but that’s the core of the deck and the both wheel every time. They might not get opened but then you just have a deck that is of similar power to the other trash people are putting out there and just by it’s nature this lines up well against the aggro strats

Did a draft, saw an animation module second pick and thought "cool, im gonna try doing the Time strat". And then the fucker next to me went WR but grabbed all the good white counter cards, including aspirant and crusade