Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

i liked death stranding a lot but i think i would have LOVED it during quarantine

it's one of the few games i own on disc and i lent it to someone just before the permanent lockdown and the social logistics of asking for him to like, mail it to me or leave it outside his house were too weird so i let it go

the moral of the story is never buy or use physical media

Perhaps you can find a heroic delivery man to retrieve it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bought Death Stranding cheap off a goon in SA mart, probably your copy.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

anyone feel like co-oping the DS3 DLCs with me in the next day or two?

Yes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

infraboy posted:

Bought Death Stranding cheap off a goon in SA mart, probably your copy.

this friend is less of an SA type and more of a Pod Save America type so i doubt it :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1379933547448909827

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
cave sharks can eat my whole rear end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wolfsheim posted:

i liked death stranding a lot but i think i would have LOVED it during quarantine

it's one of the few games i own on disc and i lent it to someone just before the permanent lockdown and the social logistics of asking for him to like, mail it to me or leave it outside his house were too weird so i let it go

the moral of the story is never buy or use physical media

my best friend played it during QT, and incidentally it was also the final trimester of his wife's second pregnancy so the game was super relaxing for him, just hauling pizzas and soothing bbs. i'd never replay the game but he'd be the first to buy an expanded edition i'm sure of it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

this friend is less of an SA type and more of a Pod Save America type so i doubt it :colbert:

LMAO

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah, if you wanted to do a low level rakuyo run i'm dead sure it'd be easier to just grab it from a glyph chalice

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My Sekiro playthrough was going so well until Owl (Father) :negative: Up to this point I only had maybe 8 or 9 deaths, but I think I died 20 times in this fight so far. I beat the first Owl on my first attempt but this one is completely hosed. I know I can do it because I've gotten halfway through his second phase a few times now and have pretty much identified his patterns at this point, but his posture meter is so beefy that it requires near-perfection for far longer than most of the other bosses, plus he does a lot of stuff you have to dodge which is not something I've gotten very used to doing so far. My biggest recurring mistake is accidentally knocking him out of his sweep attack but then still reflexively trying to jump on his head while he does an anti-air one-two that takes out almost my entire health bar.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Who were the good goon sirs or madams that recommended Subnautica?

Game is lit. I really thank you for encouraging it. I played probably 4 hours today and didn’t even know it. I now have a small base, most all the available upgrades for diving (including the high cap scuba tank and rebreather) and a little underwater propulsion thing. I just got the half life weapon as well. I have to say, you all were loving right on about how surprising and trippy the story is. I went to the island to meet the sunbeam. I had 20 minutes left on the clock so was diving around exploring and found a weird purple tablet deep in a cave. I have to say one thing first, when I arrived at the island it was dead of night and I use flares to save on flashlights. So I only was seeing what was right in front of me. I get deep down this hole and find the purple tablet. I thought it was a collectible like no man’s sky or something. I also keep forgetting to scan things before I pick them up so missed the description of it. By the time I got back out of that cave it was daytime and lo there’s a huge alien facility in front of me. I got inside using the purple tablet. I was exploring and grabbing all the data when I notice I had maybe 6 minutes left on the clock. I hadn’t gotten to the bottom or core of it by then but I hoof it back outside. I’m hearing the ship break atmosphere when what I THOUGHT WAS A BUILDING turns into a giant loving cannon??!! Oh my good god. Afterwards, I got back down into the core and realize like.. could I have saved that ship?? I don’t think so. Not first time through anyways. Jesus.

I also ran into a warping fish monster. Very spooky.

I guess I need to start finding these alien facilities and cure my bacteremia.
ran into GENICHIRO?

J/k, but I hope I can get some help with a few things I’m confused about :

How or where do I find the blueprint for the basic multifunction shelter (the round one with a window, in the basic build menu)? Is it the only one you can build a vertical connector onto and make a ladder to a second level? I tried two things that didn’t work; one, connecting a Hab connector to the life raft (no go) and two, vertically rotating the three or four way hab pieces to make like a vertical connector and hallway in one (but they seem to only rotate on the horizontal axis). It’s a bit confusing. Can you rotate vertically or am I missing something about building vertically in general?

Is there a way to recharge devices or do I just have to build a new one when the battery runs out?

Is there a way to actually decide where in the quick slots an object ends up, or to remove an object from there? So far it just seems I press L2 to add to the quick menu and I have to do several objects in the order I want them on the menu. That seems really odd.

What are the practical uses of the two types of oxygen pumps, and pipes? It doesn’t make sense at all to have them. Maybe to route O2 from an above ground solar powered hab to one way deep in a dark sea cave, maybe?

Lastly, is there actually no light on that seaglider? Getting around in the dark is really cumbersome switching from the glider to a flare and back again.

Thank you all. It’s a great little surprise, this game. It’s got tons of quality and attention to detail in it. And I love the mystery. It’s also a really perfect “explore and podcast” type game. I hope the building options really open up because I could see myself spending a ton of time farting around and exploring.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i don't want to play these super hard games, can't i just run around wailing on people i massively outclass for a change??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blind Rasputin posted:

Who were the good goon sirs or madams that recommended Subnautica?

Game is lit. I really thank you for encouraging it. I played probably 4 hours today and didn’t even know it. I now have a small base, most all the available upgrades for diving (including the high cap scuba tank and rebreather) and a little underwater propulsion thing. I just got the half life weapon as well. I have to say, you all were loving right on about how surprising and trippy the story is. I went to the island to meet the sunbeam. I had 20 minutes left on the clock so was diving around exploring and found a weird purple tablet deep in a cave. I have to say one thing first, when I arrived at the island it was dead of night and I use flares to save on flashlights. So I only was seeing what was right in front of me. I get deep down this hole and find the purple tablet. I thought it was a collectible like no man’s sky or something. I also keep forgetting to scan things before I pick them up so missed the description of it. By the time I got back out of that cave it was daytime and lo there’s a huge alien facility in front of me. I got inside using the purple tablet. I was exploring and grabbing all the data when I notice I had maybe 6 minutes left on the clock. I hadn’t gotten to the bottom or core of it by then but I hoof it back outside. I’m hearing the ship break atmosphere when what I THOUGHT WAS A BUILDING turns into a giant loving cannon??!! Oh my good god. Afterwards, I got back down into the core and realize like.. could I have saved that ship?? I don’t think so. Not first time through anyways. Jesus.

I also ran into a warping fish monster. Very spooky.

I guess I need to start finding these alien facilities and cure my bacteremia.
ran into GENICHIRO?

J/k, but I hope I can get some help with a few things I’m confused about :

How or where do I find the blueprint for the basic multifunction shelter (the round one with a window, in the basic build menu)? Is it the only one you can build a vertical connector onto and make a ladder to a second level? I tried two things that didn’t work; one, connecting a Hab connector to the life raft (no go) and two, vertically rotating the three or four way hab pieces to make like a vertical connector and hallway in one (but they seem to only rotate on the horizontal axis). It’s a bit confusing. Can you rotate vertically or am I missing something about building vertically in general?

Is there a way to recharge devices or do I just have to build a new one when the battery runs out?

Is there a way to actually decide where in the quick slots an object ends up, or to remove an object from there? So far it just seems I press L2 to add to the quick menu and I have to do several objects in the order I want them on the menu. That seems really odd.

What are the practical uses of the two types of oxygen pumps, and pipes? It doesn’t make sense at all to have them. Maybe to route O2 from an above ground solar powered hab to one way deep in a dark sea cave, maybe?

Lastly, is there actually no light on that seaglider? Getting around in the dark is really cumbersome switching from the glider to a flare and back again.

Thank you all. It’s a great little surprise, this game. It’s got tons of quality and attention to detail in it. And I love the mystery. It’s also a really perfect “explore and podcast” type game. I hope the building options really open up because I could see myself spending a ton of time farting around and exploring.

There are a couple islands around, one of them has a base from an earlier expedition that gives you the bigger building parts and the farm plots. Some other stuff too but that's the big one. And there is a battery charger, I think its inside of the Aurora.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The multipurpose room and battery charger are pieces of technology that you can find. There are 4-5 major wreckages in the shallows where you start that have stuff you can research, and there is at least one very dangerous biome close by that you’ll need to explore in order to find them. You may even need to create a special tool to get into the wrecked ship containers. If you want I send you the spoiler free guide I have for locating them. It’s the only part of the game I think is worth getting help with because your progress is pretty severely gated by those.

I haven’t used the air pipes yet but my brother says they are for late game stuff.

The sea glider has a little sonar hologram thing that lights up small spaces by pressing R, but I think that uses more battery and also doesn’t really function as a flashlight.

There is no way to assign specific order to your hot bar, it’s def annoying but I don’t mind fiddly menus.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

InsertPotPun posted:

i don't want to play these super hard games, can't i just run around wailing on people i massively outclass for a change??

Play Outriders, it owns for this

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

What happened to the "Play at Home" thing? I think we were about to get Horizon Zero Dawn out of it, but I've looked all through the menus and I can't find the thing to click on to get the thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon will go free on April 19, it will replace the Ratchet and Clank remake which is free right now

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just built a Seamoth and I’m getting major Abyss (the motion picture) vibes from this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does subnautica work with psvr? The game already terrifies me on pc (no pcvr) but I think I would scare laugh myself into oblivion if I was able to psvr it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BisterdDave posted:

Speaking of RE Engine, finding it hard to accept this bit of info:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1379275087614910466?s=19

Hmmmmmmmm... nah.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Does subnautica work with psvr? The game already terrifies me on pc (no pcvr) but I think I would scare laugh myself into oblivion if I was able to psvr it.

Looks like no, but it's still pretty on the TV

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RE stands for "assault rifle"

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The multipurpose room and battery charger are pieces of technology that you can find. There are 4-5 major wreckages in the shallows where you start that have stuff you can research, and there is at least one very dangerous biome close by that you’ll need to explore in order to find them. You may even need to create a special tool to get into the wrecked ship containers. If you want I send you the spoiler free guide I have for locating them. It’s the only part of the game I think is worth getting help with because your progress is pretty severely gated by those.

I haven’t used the air pipes yet but my brother says they are for late game stuff.

The sea glider has a little sonar hologram thing that lights up small spaces by pressing R, but I think that uses more battery and also doesn’t really function as a flashlight.

There is no way to assign specific order to your hot bar, it’s def annoying but I don’t mind fiddly menus.

A spoiler free guide you say? I got the seamoth but dont have anywhere to dock it and don't know how to charge it, also don't know what a multipurpose room is, or how to cultivate indoor plants. Happy to keep plugging away but I lost a fair bit of stuff after drowning inside a mushroom tree and it kinda took the wind out of my sails.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m way deep inside the aurora right now and am finding all sorts of crazy blueprints. I thought prawn room would be like.. a food growing room. I was very surprised by THAT blueprint. Tomorrow I’ll pick it up again and keep moving into the drive room. Pretty wild. Does this game remind any of you of System Shock 2? The sort of slow, methodical exploration and environmental puzzle stuff mixed with the sci-fi mystery really hits the nostalgia for me.

I still feel like I’m up against the clock about something, though. That feeling stresses me out too much. The computer at one point said like “within 24 hours the reactor is going to cause a massive ecological extinction.” And I don’t get how I am supposed to stop that, or if it was just loving with me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

never in my wildest imagination did i think classic uk shitposter and eminent noted average game liker refrigerator corn would turn out to be some kind of ultimate badass. and here's the rub, folks: i heard his voice one time! that's right, and for a small contribution to my cashapp i'll tell you all about it

what part of the uk is he from @send$10

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

what part of the uk is he from @send$10

the part ruled by wankers

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You have to narrow that a bit more...

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

We just call it London up here gaffer

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

He lives near me???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I live in the part of the UK that's not only ruled by wankers but also populated entirely by them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
They are just wankers

We on the other hand are colonised by wankers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I live in the part of the UK that's not only ruled by wankers but also populated entirely by them

could you be any less specific

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Riding the wave of Soulsborne energy I decided to get back to my first, unfinished Bloodborne playthrough that I parked at the Unseen Village lantern. I managed to eventually get through but ended up running out of vials several times which reminded me exactly why I've never finished the game.

Bloodborne has several mechanics and designs that make the game unfun to play for me: the above-mentioned vials, the Frenzy mechanic, and some really bad enemy grabs.

Frenzy, similarly to curse from Dark Souls, is something that is a scare to any character regardless of HP. This is then compounded by things like it being applied on sight in part of Nightmare of Mensis, and then even further by enemies who apply it on sight and whose only attack is a grab that's hard to avoid. This easily makes the first part of Nightmare of Mensis a literal nightmare to play, which while fitting thematically, is unfun. I liked Terror in Sekiro a lot more because it was used more sparingly which I think is very important with mechanics like these that have extreme potential to feel frustrating.

There's also Brainsuckers in the Upper Cathedral Ward which are close second when it comes to frustrating enemies. They don't apply Frenzy but they mostly try to grab you, which damages your health and decreases your Insight. They can quite easily chain this and they have both short- and long-range magic that literally makes you immobile with no counter-play except I guess break line of sight. Luckily there's only very, very few of these but even this number is more than enough for someone like me.

Anyway I ended up doing all the leftover bosses up to the final one and then I decided to go for the Upper Cathedral Ward but currently I'm out of vials again on Ebrietas and not feeling like continuing again because I ported to Central Yharnam to farm some vials and the game said my Internet connection dropped and literally booted me to the main menu.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1380091157754023937?s=21

:unsmith:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If you parry the grab move, during the visceral you'll have i-frames if your frenzy meter fills up, negating the effect entirely. I also don't like the Winter Lanterns, they just suck and it's hard to kill them and try to manage your frenzy meter, but I always use a heavy weapon to knock them down and just keep sedatives on me, but the run up to Mensis isn't bad, you can stay behind rocks and stuff and as long as you're not in the line of sight of the brain of mensis you won't be affected by frenzy. Plus I'm pretty sure the only part of the level where it affects you is from the lamp to the front doors, then you can drop the brain and stop the frenzy from happening. If you just stay near the lamp and behind the rocks while you fight the two silverbeasts, you can then just sprint up to the entrance. I never use blue elixirs, but it helps here because the rock throwing trolls won't see you and it makes it easier, and I think blue elixirs also work on the winter lanterns in the nightmare frontier and they're designed so you can sneak around them or get behind them and back stab them.

The brain suckers are also annoying, probably the worst enemy in the game, but if you use a thrust attack with a longer weapon and have bolt paper or kin hunter gems or whatever they're pretty manageable, if you make sure not to fight more than one at a time.

As far as blood vials, I don''t know, after a certain point I basically never run out, but I always spend my left over echoes on blood vials or bullets or something. I'd equip multiple eye runes and or moon runes and go into one of the hacked chalice dungeons and kill the easier mobs, you'll get a ton of blood vial drops depending on the enemy, but if not you'll get plenty of echoes to stock up on blood vials.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Disco Elysium update - patch still not out on PS4. And from reports from PS5 players it still hasn't fixed the most gamebreaking bugs. :sigh:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The brainsuckers in BB made me put the game down for a few days.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are only like 4 of them in the entire game before you make it to the church which is an endgame optional area.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

There are only like 4 of them in the entire game before you make it to the church which is an endgame optional area.

I said a few days I didn’t say the rest of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Those brain suckers always caught me off guard and the fact they are big slugs made me panic every time I met them.
Good grief that enemy set my phobia on edge a lot. I think I only really managed to take down one successfully and all the other times they would take between 8-10 insight from me.